Job without a degree

I was a programming major in college. I had to quit school due to illness and financial constraints. I've decided to get a job in the programming industry by watching lynda and udemy videos, and by making a few apps and games.

Do I stand a chance of getting a job? I'm not looking for a 6 figure salary. I'd like to make around 50-60k a year. A humble life.

Input is appreciated.

Attached: lynda.png (1920x945, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TE9TpraPlrE
i.imgur.com/6iam3sPr.png
ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2017
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also here is all the content I've decided to go over. If you have any suggestions, please list them here.

Attached: topics.png (1921x1080, 168K)

If that guy is half as good as teaching programming as he is at explaining SharePoint, you should be fine.
youtube.com/watch?v=TE9TpraPlrE

I'll be honest, if I had actually watched these videos in college, I'd probably have my degree. Allardice is damn good.

wtf is his accent?

According to his website, he's a Scot.

Start sending resumes. NOW. If your portfolio is half decent you should be able to get a comfortable job and move up from there

The reason why i put emphasis on resumes is because you'll get a lot of feedback on what you have, including the quality of your resume presentation itself, and what you need to work on. No one can tell you that better than the employers around you.

To be honest, I quit school about 3 years ago. My portfolio was/is shit. I plan on doing some of the easier programming challenges when a thread gets posted and work my way from there.

I am by no means prepared to send resumes,. I'm doing the barebones basics first with these courses.

I make 60k a year managing helpdesk in California and I dropped out of highschool.

also i'm 20 years old

Oh nevermind i thought you had already started learning from online videos and had a portfolio built. And yes you stand a chance, just make sure not to cut corners, because that will just come back to bite you in the future.

Hell you could just look up the complete syllabus from good schools and follow that on your own.

>job without degree
If you're good, maybe. But it's an uphill battle. Just get your bachelor's. It's a serious HR filter.

>60k a year
>California
what did you type this on

>If you're good
Lol you can be total shit and get a high paying dev job. I can point to hundreds of former coworkers as proof. Degrees as an HR filter is so hit or miss. Startups don't give a shit. FAANG-types may or may not care, it really depends on the hiring manager. If a company says "welp, gotta have the degree!" then fuck them, it's not a big deal.

Spreading yourself way too thin. No sane interviewer will ask you about CSS, SQL, iOS/Android, C++, and Java for any job you'd be applying to.

I know of smart people without degrees who gave good jobs and that's because they're really good. I know braindead morons with good jobs because that have a master's in IT. The only braindead morons without degrees I know are drug addicts. Do you now of any in the tech industry? Share an anecdote!

>c++
>java
>python
>php
>javascript
>....
You're all over the place. You need to decide what you want to do (backend, frontend, fullstack) and follow a path that will get you to your goal.

Anecdotally, I know plenty of braindead morons without high school or college degrees. Juniors, direct mid-/senior-level hires, PMs, designers, devops, you name it. This is over a number of years, at 6 companies, all over the US.

I was with this company a few years ago who hired a devops guy at a ludicrous salary, and his first move was to botch a $300k/year order for reserved hosting. If you can fake it through the interview and avoid colossally screwing up you're in a really good place.

Non-anecdotally? The 2019 Stack Overflow survey puts 20.9% of respondents as having less than a bachelors degree but still employed. That's about 18.8k people and I don't believe all of them are "really good".

According to social security online (in 2017):
48% of the US population makes less than 30k
83% makes less than 75k

i.imgur.com/6iam3sPr.png
ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2017

Haha USA land of the free more like the slaves.

Tell me the one about the braindead and degreeless PM. Was he totally inept at technical stuff?

See if you can knock out an associates degree. You won't get 50-60k immediately but can work yourself up to that after a couple of years.

They were all just really bad at different things. I have seen PMs at tech companies with very little tech experience. They often delegate estimates, spec writeups, cross-team comms (!), and so on to a senior developer. Delegation is fine, but it got to the point where their only real job was sitting quietly in the corner of a meeting room. So, severely underqualified, no drive to learn, basically browsing reddit all day under the guise of keeping a pulse on the market/userbase.

You could argue that they knew what they were doing, and just playing the politics game. Last I checked they were in the same roles while everyone else moved on. Still a solid example of how you can worm your way into a lucrative position, make yourself obsolete, and fly under the radar until you stop receiving paychecks.

>US population
does that literally include teenagers

Start contributing to open source projects. Why?

Working with bugs in existing projects and landing PRs will be a similar process to what you do at work, so you're getting real-world experience out of it. Working on personal projects doesn't teach you how to be familiar outside your comfort zone or how to coordinate with others to build software.

You learn how to use git well. Get experience rebasing, etc.

You can network with maintainers of these projects, which can open the door to references, internships or jobs. You can be on a first name basis with important people at companies in your local area, and even establish contacts with people at Big N companies. This is a legit way of getting your foot in the door without a degree, even to places like Apple or Microsoft. Why would they hire someone with a degree over someone the entire team already has an established working relationship with?

You can include your past open source experience in your resume, mention it interviews, and maybe even have portfolio projects if you're lucky.

Now I'm not saying you're guaranteed anything out of doing this, but that it's still a good idea to pursue regardless.

The hardest part is getting your foot in the door. as soon as you have experience, its easy to hop around/up

You learn a language by using it