Jow Forums jobs

Anyone here actually work in tech? Come bitch about the industry

> not even May
> roadmap has been 100% abandoned and i have no idea whats going on
> pic

Attached: 1545157574982.jpg (580x548, 34K)

work? no thanks.

Attached: 1196716779278.jpg (771x1077, 74K)

thread has potential. I’m just in college doe

> client speaks directly to me
> we have no UX designer
> we have no project manager
> client makes up goals as we go
> today he said "we should migrate our lambdas to docker"
> have to be understanding and deal with his clueless shit

fun times

Attached: 1545621978393.jpg (700x362, 22K)

he's right, you know. don't tie yourself into one vendor like that, ffs.

>client makes up goals as we go

I would have shot him and myself if I was in that situation again. I hate it when people apparently think that implementing changes, even seemingly minute ones, is an easy (and free) task especially as a project goes on for any period of time. It often just results in a lot of tears, stuff getting thrown out of windows, and late nights.

we were encoding videos using AWS Elastic Transcoders, next he asks me to spin up a lambda function to do it instead, since he thinks it's cheaper (it is), I develop a PoC and gather data on pricing with real testing data, ups turns out we better build a docker image with that functionality, I hate not having a PM

this famalam

also not having a UX person is the worst

> client wants feature
> no roadmap, no screen designs
> have to picture it in my head
> changes will be required obviously
> client has no need for that feature anymore

If it wasn't a remote company that has other projects and gives me so much flexibility with schedules I'd let it go some time ago

>finished work for our 2nd quarter release a month ago
>qa finished this week, no defects found
>have to fix other people's shit instead of doing something more interesting

fuck

>should be preparing for interview
haven't done any leetcode in days

Attached: 1546374995026.png (707x1000, 665K)

Got laid off last Friday because a diversity hire (lead who'd only worked in ux) on my team fucked up the code base and cost the company a gazillion dollars.

Attached: Screenshot_20190411_070626.jpg (1080x1234, 288K)

>get hired out of school
>find out how little I actually know
>somehow get put in lead position for 7 clients/projects
>previous guy had no documentation
>"fuck it - worst thing that happens is that I get fired"
>gain a lot of knowledge very quickly
>after 1 year, get the title "consultant" up from "junior". 1 more year, get senior title.
>literally have done nothing to earn the titles, my boss just promotes willy nilly
>promotions does not include higher pay, in practicality it does nothing except make it so that they can charge customers more, and other people have higher expectations towards what I know
>constantly get put into lead projects for highly experimental technology even though I've said multiple times that I'm not ready, and to give those tasks to the people with 10+ years experience
>leader just ignores me and says "you can do it"
>says I will have assistance from
>senior guy sucks and knows nothing. After a week they just stop helping as well.

Every fucking time.

They keep putting me into architectural positions now too even though I've stated I'm not ready for those kinds of projects, nor do I want them. FUcking give them to the old people. I get paid as someone who has been here for 2 years, but they expect me to work and have the knowledge of someone who has been here for 20+.

>Guy shares his code by pasting it into an email
>He has been talked to about this multiple times
>He keeps doing it
>Nothing happens

well, honestly is doing you favors for your CV, but it sucks that they don't pay you more, sounds like you have an attitude problem

instead of asking not to be given those jobs, ask for a raise instead.

I've asked for a raise and was granted it. I was underpaid from the start - and now I've got the same pay as an average 2 year employee.

They've already told me "they wont be granting more raises" the next 2 years.

I know it's good for my CV, which is why I'm still here, but I'm gonna bail the fuck out asap since nothing is in order here.

Fun fact - it's one of the biggest companies in my region.

> I get paid as someone who has been here for 2 years, but they expect me to work and have the knowledge of someone who has been here for 20+.

that's why you're getting the positions. You're willing to work for low pay on big projects and doing good enough that they don't need someone more experienced and more expensive

you should be charging more money for your services

Im sure you think so because of
>senior guy sucks and knows nothing. After a week they just stop helping as well.

But when you ask about something completely basic and they ghost you for a week before saying "I'm unsure", then yeah. You'll get sick of it after a while and just stop asking for assistance.

ask for a raise one more time, regardless of what they told you, worst case scenario, you don't get it

try to get a remote job if that's one of the biggest companies in your region

>Work at same place for 6 years
>From part time helldesk to fulltime to pc tech to "network guy" (sysadmin / network engineer)
>Get passed up for management position for someone who has "20 years of management experience" (at a fucking toys R us)
>Absolute sociopath piece of shit twice everyone's age gets hired
>All my favorite coworkers quit due to retard
>Everyone hates this guy so management moves him to an offsite
>He likes me though, and I put up with him, but don't like him. But I'm still nicer to him than anyone else on the network team / pc tech team.
>Before he moves over there, he tells me he's gonna get the techs over there fired, get the site manager spot, and then bring me up there with him
>This exact thing happens. One of the PC techs had been stealing shit from work and wasting company resources watching netflix in his cubicle with his girlfriend from another department, and stealing tons of thinkpads/elitebooks and just storing them in his garage.
>Somehow the sociopath exposes this
>IT manager at that site quits IT, goes back to her previous department. Site manager position goes to Sociopath.
>I get requested to move up there. pay increase, but also workload increase
>I do so, it ends up being the worst mistake of my life
>He mismanages me and the other staff at that site incredibly poorly, but it doesn't matter because we're basically self-governing and get most shit done easily by ourselves anyway
>Unfortunately he somehow convinces the CIO to give him jurisdiction of the helpdesk/desktopsupport/network team at my previous site
>He mismanages them so fucking poorly that they decide to replace them with an outsourced managed services company
>Due to some HR fuckery, they have to replace all sites if they're going to replace one site, so my site, 9 other sites, as well as the original site, all of us get outsourced, even though it was only one site (the main one) doing so fucking badly that they "needed" to be replaced/outsourced

>Due to my "loyalty" I'm offered to stay at the company, in another position for the same pay
>They don't tell me what position I'd get, but strongly suggest it would likely be custodian / janitor / cleaning / garbage-man, or financial data entry
>Stupidly, I assume that sticking with the "technology" field would be better for my career in the long run
>I manage to get a job at the company they outsourced to, to aid in the transition to managed services
>I get a permenant position if they keep me 90 days
>day 89, they call me, to "inform me i am no longer working for (company) on a saturday
>they don't even realize i was WORKING that saturday, i was on-site when they called me, and was the only person on-site
>quickly log into domain admin account, set up a few "nukes" that will go off in a week, month, and 3 months, wiping exchange server, resetting thousands of passwords, "upgrading" various citrix / vmware servers to windows 10 via SCCM and wiping them in the process, etc
>rip all the HDDs and ram out of every IT workstation of all the stupid fucking analysts, put them in my backpack that i brought in that day, bring them all out with me, cameras see the same shit in as out
>grab some "Favorite items" from the stock room, tech bench
>take a walk into server room, open locked area with local backup tapes, rip out the backup tapes to anything that hasn't been sent to the offsite location yet, and smash 'em all with a hammer, turn off air conditioners, hang out laughing as the temperature rises to 80, then 90
>I had a few cisco switches, a sonicwall firewall, and several hp proliant servers that were supposed to be deployed to one of our offsites that following monday, in my car
>they told me not to come back, as i was fired, so i just kept them and mailed my badge to security several weeks later

>fast forward a week, i get 54 voicemails in one night from the people who didn't know i was fired yet, about password resets / email problems

>ignore literally fucking everything until company that fired me calls me begging me to take me back
>basically tell them that i've found another opportunity and i'm not interested
>people at the main company calling me begging me to come back, but tell them i can't due to their contract with [outsource company]
>they say they'll find a way to get me in because they need me to come back and fix shit
>i start my own consulting firm
>they "contract" my consulting firm
>i basically get my old job back, but for 3x the pay (no benefits though)
>easily unfuck all the shit that happened, but they aren't suspicious at all
i ended up quitting there about 18 months later and using my references from how "great a job i did" fixing everything to get more clients for my consulting business. i'm currently on a 24 month legacy support contract for AIX servers. I basically do nothing but post on Jow Forums and get 130k a year.

>attention please! Attention please! This is your scrum master speaking~~
>alright guys, it's staaaaaaand up meeting time!

Attached: chicken_pants.webm (900x900, 1.85M)

It's 3:30 in the fucking morning and I'm in a call with a customer because someone fucked our database. I'm quitting tomorrow, fuck those cunts.

shit im losing it, my sides

Attached: 1547075469507.jpg (715x1538, 152K)

kek

What is that thing?

>"we should migrate our lambdas to docker"
Brainlet here. What does that even mean?

In corporations everyone gets promoted into their incompetence... or how that saying goes.

I work while going for my M. Sc.

>"Hey user, we need that feature."
>work on it for two weeks
>"Nevermind, customer changed their minds."
>"We need that other feature instead. Luckily, you had two weeks to work on it. Deliver in 3 days."

This is literally my job. I wouldn't mind the first part - if they decide to scrap a feature, I still get paid for the work I put into it.
But, sure. I'll just retcon the half-finished code into a new feature. No biggy.

im about to go get about 1/3 of a full programs certifications. gonna be A+ hardware and networking and shit like that. Hoping I can get some kind of computer repair or help desk entry level job and stop being broke so I can continue going back for the full program

Based

thats a chicken with pants on retard

where the fuck do you live that you've never seen a chicken...?

IT at my company is inept and full of mouth breathers that push out broken applications that I'm forced to use and then won't address the issues I send them.

God forbid you have to interact with someone with "data" in their title that came from a boot camp... Completely useless retards that try to brag about how much DATA SCIENCE they know but can't do any actual work ever

Attached: IMG_20190403_223243.jpg (678x593, 30K)

To my experience, "data science" just means they learned data structures but ignored algorithms and any sort of proper programming.