Advice on moving to america?

Before I start, let me just say, Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, I'm not really sure but it feels right since it's tech related.

Hello everyone, I'm an Irish man studying Computer Science in Uni. I've been into tech and computers all my life, and it was once a dream of mine to move to Silicon Valley to get jobs in tech and I just kind of like the idea of america in general, (Freedom, Right to own guns, etc).

However, in recent years I've delved more into politics, and while i'm not alt-right, I imagine I may as well be with how the alt-left treats those with different opinions in the tech industry. I'm not overly political, But I do have conservative opinions on a lot of key topics, For example, I'm pro-life, But I also don't mind if gays get married. This can be hard enough to deal with in Ireland let alone in the epicentre of progressive values.

Basically, I would just like some advice on how bad politics really is in Silicon Valley, I feel like maybe I'm getting a warped view of things by the media. And if there are any alternatives to Silicon Valley, (such as maybe Texas, as I've heard it's growing in tech), that have pretty big tech industries as well. Living in Dublin Ireland is like the only option here for the tech industry, and rent is so high, plus high income tax, that it actually becomes cheaper to move to America for me. So I would really like some advice on this from any one in the field.

Also, Although not the main topic, since I'm still young, I imagine dating and stuff would probably be helpful information too, like for example if girls are really progressive, etc.

Thanks for any help, and I'm happy to answer questions if you need them too,

Attached: SiliconValley.png (1200x675, 1.59M)

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/drive-parkway-park-driveway-history
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Buy a gun when you get off the plane, if an American sees you without one you're an easy target and liable to get shot

Go to you faggot. You will not simply "move to the US", you'd have to actually have a job offer in order to get a visa to begin with. This board is about tech, not eurofags hypothetical discussing how stupid the US is.

This isn't exactly discussing politics, It's about the tech industry and if it's good to move there.

Who are you trying to fool? You're literally talking about gay marriage and abortion politics in your post.

If you have a real job offer or are genuinely curious about working for one of the FAANGs, you would have phrased your post very differently. Go back, you disingenuous mic.

I mentioned politics because of the high political world in the tech industry, not to discuss it, I did it purely to give you an idea of where I stand so you know where i'm coming from. Kinda thought anyone could see that, But I guess you're too fucking stupid to make that connection.

If you just forget about politics and treat your coworkers as human beings you'll be fine

>technology board
>hurr tell me about regional politics
would be a better choice

>I did it purely to give you an idea of where I stand so you know where i'm coming from
Nobody cares where you stand. Sensible adults don't discuss politics with coworkers that aren't friends at work, so it doesn't matter what your personal convictions are.

Also, your own views are completely irrelevant. Either you get a job offer in the US or you don't. Why would your views on homos and thots even matter?

This

I don't bring politics into the work place, I'm just kinda worried since i've read so much about guys who get fired just for their politic beliefs. And I really don't wanna move there, only to lose my job in like a month and have to move back

So is it not that political then? Cuz it's more a worry about how political rather then the politics its self.

>I'm just kinda worried since i've read so much about guys who get fired just for their politic beliefs
Don't start sending memos about your political views to everyone on your email list, and you'll be fine. I have a friend from Norway who used to work at Google and now works at Facebook, and he's racist as fuck and uploads "nigger fail compilations" on YouTube and talks shit with his colleague friends. They're smart enough to not start yelling nigger in the hallway though, and only do that shit when they get together after work.

>So is it not that political then?
Depends on the department. Most actual tech work is pretty apolitical. But there are diversity hires and liberal arts people who are very political, but they usually don't bother engineers. See

>i've read so much about guys who get fired just for their politic beliefs
You've read their side of the story
Being an unlikable asshole usually comes first, and that's the part they fail to mention

fpbp

Attached: School Shooting Button.jpg (3024x4032, 1.37M)

The phrase "active shooter" tickles my autism. How can you be an inactive shooter?

Ok, well thanks to all who gave actual advice. I'm going to head off now, I think i'm a little ok with moving there now. Provided I'm not an asshole or talk about politics looking for fights I guess it seems i'll be ok. Goodbye.

Attached: nohands.jpg (700x394, 84K)

Okay, I laughed.

>Advice on moving to america?
Don't. Move to a first-world country instead.

Not all Americans who live in "liberal areas" are unreasonable. There are even reasonable liberals, despite what Jow Forums would have you believe. I'm not from silicon valley, but I was born in NY and currently live in a pretty liberal city. My friends know my politics, and even when we don't agree we get along fine. The trick, as you said, is to not be an asshole about it. Even with friends, unless it's really something you want to lose a friend over. And I would never bring that shit to work unless I was ready to leave.

It's just an americanism, they are overtly explicit. Other examples:
Glasses are called eye glasses (because otherwise you'd put them on your knees?)
Riding is called horseback riding (because otherwise you'd ride a goat on its belly?)
Crossings are called pedestrian crossings (because if not you'd expect something else to cross the road?)
etc

americans give everything stupid names
like buffalo wings
and chicken fried steak

What the fuck are either of those?

>Glasses are called eye glasses (because otherwise you'd put them on your knees?)
"Glasses" is casually used to refer to both what you'd wear on your eyes and to refer to a glass cup that you would drink out of.

>Riding is called horseback riding (because otherwise you'd ride a goat on its belly?)
Riding a car, riding an ATV, riding a bike, riding a snowmobile...

>Crossings are called pedestrian crossings (because if not you'd expect something else to cross the road?)
There are train crossings, in rural areas there are deer and other animal crossings.

Nobody gets that specific unless the situation is vague enough to call for it. People commonly refer to eye glasses as just "glasses" all the time.

RENT FREE

Buffalo wings are simply known as "chicken wings" in Buffalo, New York; the place of their origin. Pretty sure some other places just call them chicken wings too.

Chicken fried steak I'd never heard of before. It's a Southern thing and they call it that because it's Steak prepared in the same way they would prepare fried chicken. That doesn't seem too unreasonable.

you park in a driveway and you drive down a parkway and no one knows how to use a roundabout.

>"Glasses" is casually used to refer to both what you'd wear on your eyes and to refer to a glass cup that you would drink out of.
And you'd infer which type from the context. "Put on your glasses" wouldn't prompt you to go to the cupboard and take out all your drinking glass and put it on your head, would it?

>Riding a car, riding an ATV, riding a bike, riding a snowmobile...
Again, context. Also, I'm pretty sure you drive a snowmobile or an ATV or a car, but in the case for car (which didn't mean automobile until the 20th century), I get why it makes sense. It's also called car ride.

>Nobody gets that specific unless the situation is vague enough to call for it. People commonly refer to eye glasses as just "glasses" all the time.
Sure, but still it's pretty funny when you think of it. Like the original user asked, why is it called "an active shooter". I suspect that it's because it sounds more "cool" to say "Uh oh! We have an active shooter on the area!"

>Buffalo wings are simply known as "chicken wings" in Buffalo, New York; the place of their origin
That makes sense. Like Philadelphia steak. I thought it meant made from buffalo.

>Steak prepared in the same way they would prepare fried chicken.
B-b-but no, you don't fry chicken the same way you fry steak.

Lol

Yes, of course context is important. And within context, Americans don't go into overly explicit detail. My brother wears glasses, I have never heard my family nor anybody else refer to them as "eye glasses" when clearly talking to him about them.

Thanks, satan.

>B-b-but no, you don't fry chicken the same way you fry steak.
Which is why there is no "steak-fried chicken". At least not that I'm aware of. Fried chicken is done in a specific kind of way, so when some southerner came up with the idea of frying a steak the way they would fry a chicken, they decided to use that term because fried chicken is very common in the south and people would instantly be able to grasp what the dish would be like.

As the American who knows how to use roundabouts I take grave offence to this post. Suck my traveling ballsack.

about the only decent place left is somewhere like north dakota, or newhampshire, even texas has been invaded by californians.
ireland is a dream compared to the us
glass - singular
cups - plural
i have never hear any one use the word "glasses* to refer to multiple cups

Trust me user, you don't want to move to that shithole, I've been there, and it smells like shit, everything is botnet, overpriced/glorified and covered by shit, and rent for a shit cardboard high rise cuckshed is expensive as fuck, don't fall for the meme user, there are 3rd world shitholes with no niggers and way better living standards that need, seek and welcome knowledgeable white men like you, I can appreciate the fact that you're not a nigger due to the way you write so I almost sure you don't want to be surrounded by shit and niggers, do you, user?

Attached: IBasedMex.jpg (618x425, 158K)

Sorry sweetie. If you are brown you can get off easily with brownie points

Nice dad joke. For those actually curious about these terms: merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/drive-parkway-park-driveway-history

RIP

Attached: viper.jpg (1152x1536, 136K)

>i have never hear any one use the word "glasses* to refer to multiple cups
Maybe it's a regionalism then, I dunno. "Will you please clean those glasses in the sink" is not an uncommon thing to hear after dinner where I'm at. It's kind of interchangeably used with "cups" but only used of course when said cups are made of glass.

beaner here, can confirm. Muttland still a smelly shithole tho

Dude nobody wants to hear about your opinions about Trump or whatever at work. Fuck man, i just want to know if you wrote your code to spec and tested it and if you fixed any bugs. This is just as true in FANG and Silicon Valley as anywhere

This, Mexico is a much nicer place to live than amuttrica.

Take the apolitical pill and stop basing major decisions in your life (job, career) based on identity politics which barely effect you.

This

Taking the apolitical pill doesn't somehow stop politics from directly impacting your life every single day.

it really does

For spics, yeah. If you're white, you get kidnapped and extorted for millions (because all white people are super rich apparently).

Will never go to Mexico again, fuck that shithole.

No it doesn't you fucking idiot. The choices made by politicians through the people that vote for them don't just disappear leaving you to live your life under your own laws and regulations.

I can't think of a single time any law or politician has effected my life in a significant way

That's because you're a fucking idiot incapable of basic thought to begin with.

"apolitical" != apolitical
"apolitical" = in favour of the establisment

lol
even if they did and I did care, me caring about it would change nothing because I live in a democracy where I have no power to change anything

Who you vote for does not need to dominate every single aspect of your life, down to who you work with and hang around with. Fucking zooomers and their identity politics, man.

>be amerimutt whigger in amerilard
>get shot
>be amerimutt whigger in beanerland
>get kidnapped and shot
why you ameriwiggers are such cucks?

Attached: vatocabron.jpg (960x576, 226K)

Your job impacts you measurably more than stupid shit mentioned in OP like gay marriage.

It still dominates every single aspect of your life even when you're ignoring it.

Not American, friend. Maybe fix your country instead of whining about how stupid Trump and americans are.

the only way politics dominiates my life is people on Jow Forums not shutting up about it

>It still dominates every single aspect of your life
No, because I don't live in an intrusive communist hellhole.

The basic laws you are forced to abide to, the taxes you pay and the amount that entails, your worker rights, the environmental conditions or lack thereof in your neighbourhood, and so on are all determined by political forces. Even if you are a shut-in NEET who has everything provided to you by mummy and daddy, you are indirectly impacted by the limits on their ability to provide for and dote on you.

Gravity also anchors me to the ground all day long, but I don't spend any time thinking about gravity

>Glasses are called eye glasses (because otherwise you'd put them on your knees?)
Drinking glasses, and most people don't say eye if the context is clear (I've never referred to my glasses as eye glasses).
>Riding is called horseback riding (because otherwise you'd ride a goat on its belly?)
Dirtbike riding, bicycle riding, motorcycle riding, skiing/snowboarding, driving, and more are all referred to as "riding" in the US, so it's often important to clarify what the fuck you're talking about.
>Crossings are called pedestrian crossings (because if not you'd expect something else to cross the road?)
Train crossings, bicycle crossings, deer crossings, etc.

soft paternalism, sunstein and thaler
public-private partnerships
in-q-tel
social engineering is happening whether or not you admit it, and largely under the aegis of "private" coporations

>like buffalo wings
We call them that because they use a sauce created in Buffalo, New York.

>The basic laws you are forced to abide to
Most laws enable freedom. There are no law dictating that I can't take a shit in my own home without thinking about identity politics.

>the taxes you pay and the amount that entails
Only applies to my economy, not my entire life. And taxes are handled automatically, I only deal with them once a year when checking my tax reports.

>your worker rights
Doesn't dominate my day. Most employers don't violate your rights, so there is no need going around and constantly thinking about them.

>the environmental conditions or lack thereof in your neighbourhood
I've never once in my life given it a thought.

>and so on are all determined by political forces
Well, yes. But that's not the same thing as constantly arguing about politics with colleagues and friends and random people on the street.

This

>Again, context. Also, I'm pretty sure you drive a snowmobile or an ATV or a car, but in the case for car (which didn't mean automobile until the 20th century), I get why it makes sense. It's also called car ride.
Context is frequently unhelpful in this context, because American use "riding" to refer to a fuckton of activities.

Gravity isn't impacted by human interference the way politics is.

How the fuck do you ride skis?

might aswell be, you aren't changing the world by arguing about stupid bullshit all the time, all you're doing is making yourself dumber and wasting your time

Not him, but you are fucking retard.

But there's no point in caring about that shit until it directly impacts you, unlike other things you could care about which you have much more power over.

My power to make president Trump (or whoever) change his mind on any particular issue is extremely limited, so why give a shit when there's apolitical things I can do which have much greater cost-benefit ratios to my life?

>thinking makes you dumb
woah

>muh Trump
the only one whining about orange bad whigger here is (You) friendo, hell, I even like the guy and wish he fucking builds the wall so y'all stay inside your shithole when zucc gets the 2020 election and you get to enjoy your social credit utopia china 2.0 powered by FEMA and AWS

Attached: 1554674592387.jpg (833x1080, 305K)

yes, it actually can, crazy conspiracy theorists for example, thinking about the wrong things in the wrong way does make you dumber
politics, especially american politics, tends to do that

>MAGA memes define who I am as a person

Attached: soyboy3.jpg (1080x720, 91K)

thinking is hard dude I just wanna watch anime play vidya and jerk off is that too much to ask

imagine being this retarded

>get a meter
wat

If Trump built the wall and the Zucc won 2020, he'd just tear down the wall. So much for that.

>3
You are one sad, strange little man.

>i cant alter other peoples paintings, so there is no point in me having opinons or aesthetic preferences
>i have nothing to say, so there is no point in freedom of speech

There's a middleground between not having any opinions at all and screaming "OBAMA IS A KENYAN-BORN NIGGER THAT CRASHED THE ECONOMY!" every time you take a shit.

You attach them to your feet and go down a hill? It's a fucking language user. Snowboarders referred to snowboarding as riding, and then skiers picked it up.

Attached: riding.png (471x322, 27K)

theres having opinions about things that affect you and then there's politics
most political issues don't affect you in any way regardless of the outcome

Bad comparison. I can act in a useful manner on my aesthetic preferences. I can express myself as I want to for my own personal satisfactiom. I cannot change political reality for the most part, caring about it is pointless and irrational except when I want to vote for lower taxes or whatever.

But skis predate snowboarding, and the act of skiing is called, well, the verb "skiing". Jesus Christ, Americans sure know how to butcher a language.

>But skis predate snowboarding, and the act of skiing is called, well, the verb "skiing"
I never said anything different. Are you illiterate or something? I'll break it down for you. After snowboarding was created, people who engaged in it carried slang over from skateboarding and talked about it as "riding." As younger skiers interacted with their hip, sideways-monoski brethren, they began using the same slang. Additionally, many Americans use riding as slang to refer to a wide range of activities in which movement is enhanced by a machine, animal, or other device, which is why we will typically specify what kind of riding we are talking about if it isn't clear. If you told me you were going riding on Tuesday, one of the last things I would consider is horseback riding, because I don't know anyone who regularly does so. I personally ski and ride bicycles a lot, and most of my family rides dirtbikes, motorcycles, and snow machines, so I would think of one of those first. If I was writing a paper, I'd be more specific.

Are you autistic? I understand how it happened, I'm just saying that it is retarded and sounds about as dumb as saying "active shooter".

Zucc loves walls tho, if not, the wall would not be the main feature of his lovely botnet thing ;3
>zucc will build the walll

Attached: zucc.jpg (474x654, 29K)

Imagine being this cucked

Attached: harrymanback.jpg (480x360, 18K)

>I understand how it happened
>But skis predate snowboarding
Clearly you don't.

Severely autistic it is then.

We say "active shooter" because people want to sound cool. I'm guessing it started when the media snatched the phrase from military/police movies, where one might say "active shooter" to differentiate him from a shooter that had been neutralized.

In addition to everything everyone else said, noone uses any of that shit in conversation. People don't say "eye glasses," they just say "glasses," since the context is always obvious. We say horseback riding because if we just said "I went riding today," you'd have no idea what we meant - who rides horses? And "pedestrian crossing" is the biggest stretch ever. Noone says that, we just say crosswalk or some form of that here.

Absolutely fucking retarded

>dont care
>doesnt impact
>dont change
>cant affect
you are changing the topic to something irrelevant. (and false)
ideas are worth having for the sake of having them, not "change" or "effect"
inquisitiveness and curiosity are rewards in their own right.

all that your lack of curiosity informs me of, is your niggerbrain slave mentality.

but as someone empirically minded, absolutely everything does matter, and has consequences.
thats what materialism, determinism, and fucking science are all about.
shit interacts with other shit and it fucking snowballs.
there is absolutely nothing in this world such that it cannot be altered, or does not alter other things.
shit matters.

>defending american slang when the argument is that american slang is retarded
I hope you get actively shot by an active shooter, friend.

>getting this upset over slang
Literal autism.

>"I went riding today," you'd have no idea what we meant - who rides horses?
People who say "I went riding today" and uses the verb skiing for going on skis. You're not even riding, you're either actively moving (cross country skiing) or you're standing on skis (downhill).

Finally,
>noone
Please stop. It's "No one", noone isn't a word.

shit matters, yes, your attention matters, and where you direct it
People who care about politics spend alot of time debating things they don't understand well and has a very small impact on their lives and they have very little agency to change
It's a waste of attention, and it certainly doesn't make you a happier individual and probably doesn't make you more intelligent either
Lack of curiosity is a projection on your part