Linux container formats

AppImage vs Flatpak
Which do you prefer and why?
Also snap is pretty much dead at this point.

Attached: pkg.png (681x380, 153K)

>snap is pretty much dead at this point
Why?

>libc is included in every packages
might as well use windows

Windows doesn't have this problem

AppImage works everywhere. For Flatpak I have to install unnecessary bloat.

>10gb of winsxs
brilliant

>2019

>can't afford 10 gb of storage space

For me AppImage is a 'just werks' solution
Flatpak feels a actual package manager and some releases download a ton of gnome/kde libraries

>needs to install 75 different versions of VC redistributables
yikes

Attached: 2005-2017.png (1442x900, 112K)

This,
1 con = no automatic updates

>bloat is fine as long as you're a richfag
>sucking cock daily is fine as long as you have a gf
>being fucked in the ass is fine as long as I paid for it
also nice reddit spacing

VSCode from flatpack requires 3.1GB on a drive.
WAT?

Dead wrong. Snap has the most software to download. Flatpak is second but is not actually finished yet (it will come with SilverBlue). AppImages are obsolete. I prefer Flatpaks since Snaps use a proprietary software store.

AppImages are bloated because they don't share same version dependencies like Flatpak. They also rely on system packages that might not be included in the distro so they aren't really portable across distros.

>needing to be rich to afford 10gb storage

Not sure what the rest of the shit you're greentexting was bout. go back to r9k faggot.

I remember being upset 13 years ago because in Linux you either used whatever old shit was in the repositories, or you were on your own, and I kept saying that there should be a clear separation between the OS and the programs running on top of it, and that people should be able to run multiple versions of a program side-by-side, without ppas and manual compilation outside the package manager and shit, and that Gobolinux was onto something.

And everyone screamed security!, adn that statically linked libraries are anathema, and that I don't know what I'm talking about, and that I should go back to Windows because that's how it's done in Linux, and that I should fuck off.

Fast-forward to 2019 and everyone is now going apeshit for flatpacks and snap and appimage and containers.

What happened?

AppImage works everywhere and is self contained. It gets my vote

> What happened?
Linux adoption increased by about five times of what it was. Also it is losing its privilege of being updated as often, in other words, when large companies migrate to Linux, they want to "fire and forget" about it for five to ten years or even more. At this rate, 10 year old software poses more threats than flatpak programs.
I see it so damn often, small companies can afford to dedicate two hours per year to update and about eight hours later to troubleshoot everything, whereas large companies will rather leave it as is to avoid responsibility.

Flatpak and Snap are okay as long as you use a curated repository. However, using them or AppImage that you obtain directly from the developer leads into the same software source/reliability/trustworthiness hell that Windows has been in for decades.

That would be pretty nice
>Snap has the most software
Most of it is half-baked non-functional Electron/Js crapware
I was interested when Snap first launched, but the proprietary store was a huge turnoff and knowing Canonical, they probably will kill it soon.

>Flatpaks are less bloated
Last time i tried installing the Retroarch flatpak, i had to download kde dependencies of ~1.5GB and i already use KDE
Why the fuck do i need to install an entire DE for this shit??

>what is containerization

It does though. It just solves it in a very hacky and inelegant way.

>want to use gimp
>only has flatbloat shit
>can't get flatbloat to install on ubuntu 16.x.x

God fucking damn it.

>deletes VM clone again

Those retards still exist.

No. AppImages have dependencies that have to be installed too.

Flatpak because Flat is justice

neither

Because it was another Canonical venture in rent seeking. Only ever worked right on Ubuntu and even then was inferior to the other two formats.

Snap is Ubuntu bullshit, Flatpak is the usual freedesktop/red hat garbage. AppImage is the only sane option

>Appimage only ever has one icon
>The sane choice
ok

based

Attached: tainaka_ritsu__2__by_dekodere-d6ryi8j.png (2725x3169, 596K)

appimage is not a container retards. Flatpak is the best solution, libraries are shared between flatpaks, but not with the system as it would miss the whole point, you couldn't have the fedora/debian glibc or xorg or whatever version while having a different one that flatpak uses

this

Flatpak

based

AppImage is the ONLY right answer.

Attached: AppImages rock.jpg (868x6656, 724K)

Why the fuck would I use any of these when my system has its own package manager?

this
VC Redists absolutely blow my mind

appimage is grwat for pirated gayms

.deb

Attached: 6f9.gif (320x240, 273K)

The only non-faggot in this thread

based
All the RH shills are ignoring this post

Based

appimage is useful but it's not flatpak, flatpak literally chroots. Appimages are just like exes, that's practical but has never been safe or good for unstable programs

This is the only one that matters.

> imagine using different sources then running into dependency conflicts

>Imagine not knowing how to use your OS

:^)

Attached: evolution-1.png (834x5556, 747K)

Absolutely based and redpilled

Attached: based.webm (1440x508, 1.75M)

> Snap is dead

Attached: 1542270285494.jpg (1079x1070, 562K)