How hard do you guys think it is to get into any CS related job after the age of 25 in the UK?

How hard do you guys think it is to get into any CS related job after the age of 25 in the UK?
Due to health issues I only started uni at 22, however it worked to my advantage as I manage to get top grades in all my classes, and will come out with a first.
I have a few small projects on GitHub which I worked on whilst I was ill, which a small amount of people seem to find useful, and have I have also worked freelance doing some web dev stuff to make money prior to uni.
I graduate this year, and I would like to take a masters after to specialize more in cryptography, but by the time I will finish that I'd be 27. Is that too old to be looking for "Junior dev" jobs? Should I just take what I can as soon as I finish my degree?

Attached: uk.png (1280x640, 5K)

>CS related job
>in the UK
the cs industry in the uk is for the most part incredibly saturated and poorly paid unless you're closer to a mathematician/research scientist than a computer programmer in the CS stuff you're into. computer programming is the new construction industry.

doing a master might be a waste of time it depends what you wanna do for work when you finish
sad but true i could earn more labouring than from a junior dev job in my area

Attached: screenshot0001.png (1920x1080, 1.65M)

fuck my life :(

I started as a junior dev in the UK at 25. I did philosophy for my undergraduate and then a masters in computing at one of my local (former) polytechnics. Got a grant to pay my tuition fees and found a job within two months of graduating.

Attached: rikerqts.jpg (1438x1080, 358K)

Also, companies don't really care about your age. Mine has hired people aged > 26 and I've got friends who started at other companies aged 28. They only care if you are competent.
Junior dev salaries in my area (Scotland) are 26-30k but you can get up to 50-60k as a senior if you are good at seeking promotions and are willing to switch companies every few years.

how long does it take before you are considered senior? 50-60k is decent and switching doesn't seem bad i dont think i'd like to stay in one job for more than a few years kek

Attached: 1548394384194.jpg (548x680, 46K)

I would say 8-10 years but it varies from company to company. If you are exceptional then you can get there faster.
There are a few different paths to it: Sometimes seniority comes from having social skills and acting as a liaison between management and devs but other senior devs are just irreplaceable to the company because they know the internal libraries and tools better than anyone else. No matter how you get to that stage you need to realise what you're worth and keep pushing for pay rises or companies will screw you.

At some point just try to get yourself to the US one way or the other. Don't stay in the UK, please. I could have gone to the US for work 10 years ago and regret bitterly that I didn't now. That said I'm optimistic about starting my own non-tech business so whatevs. If you are going to stay in the UK absolutely make sure you have an exit plan in mind from the start, or start seriously putting one together. Trust me, 10-15 years in this industry can start to suck so hard it bites.

One of my collegues started as junior dev when he was 29 so it's definitely not too late. It's not like you weren't doing anything, you were getting your masters degree.

Employers can't discriminate based on age, it's against the law. You honestly think employers give a shit if you are 22 vs late 20s?

GL lad.

I started work at 23/24 as a low level embedded software dev, been a number of years now.

Year 0: £18k
Year 1: 21k
Year 2: 26k
Year 3: 30k
Year 4: changed job and exaggerated about past salary (non taxable bonuses etc, so they can't prove via tax), took a risk, and got 45k
Year 5: changed job again, over exaggerated again, as long as the white lies have justifiable explanations around them, don't shy away from over exaggeration imho, just make sure the bases are covered and you explain, now at 65k

I think I've perfected the art of CV writing nowadays.

Attached: o6bnvEb.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

try to get a couple of certs that set you apart from others at your age

Do certs even matter in the UK like the US?

Not as much, the UK places far more emphasis on experience. Sure certs look good on a C.V but employers will take someone with a couple of years worth of industry experience over a graduate

> exaggerated about previous income
This is fine, but for anyone else reading, never tell a potential employer how much you made before, don’t even hint at it. It means literally nothing. All that matters is how much you’re asking for and if they are willing to pay it. It’s no business of theirs how much you have or haven’t made before and any questions about it is just trying to figure out how low they can offer, don’t give them the leverage.

location?
which languages do you know?

they don't give a shit about anything in the uk, if you are of the right backround

Ty for the whitepill & advice user (OP)

Does anyone have any advice on taking a masters or not? Is 27 too old to have no exp? Maybe a gap year with an internship?

(I am 25 not but masters would push it to 27)

I did the interview for my first ever full time job the day after my 26th birthday. I don't know that my experience generalizes though.

All this.

No one really cares about age in the UK and I certainly don't. Get to work on building some projects and find experience any way you can.

The bottom of the market is super crowded and the top is desperate for anyone competent.

Most companies won't give a shit about your age, they won't even ask you how old you are.

Did you do an internship? That is normally an easy way to land a juniour dev role.

Although I wouldn't exaggerate too much because your future employer will have access to your P45 in the UK

Did you do a year in industry? If not why not?

I did freelance web dev for a few local companies (I am a c programmer, not a web dev, but I took what I could get).

& No internship due to threatening health issues which have finally improved, so now is time to think for the future.

Fair enough mate. I'm 26 and doing CS this year at Uni with a year in industry, I'll be fucking 30 when I finish but I don't give a shit

I will hire you RIGHT NOW if you accept minimum wage

Sounds like a euphamism for sucking dick. Don't do it OP.

theres a few apprenticeships out there, check regularly

If you're london and not talking about then I will take it.

why dont you build something novel and profitable?

I’ll be 35 when I get my undergrad in cs next year. Either they care about looking old or they care about having a future while they’re still alive. Nothing more to it.

>unironically takes minimum wage
Move to the us, mate

Attached: 1515206602954.jpg (480x480, 52K)

They don't care if you have github projects or what age you are. As long as you can do the job, which means passing some shitty coding tests. Source: 25yo on £60k in central London working with Java Spring microservices. My housemate is same CS course as me, a little older (28) and 50k working in high frequency trading using C++. They dont care about history, just if you can do the job.

>How hard do you guys think it is to get into any CS related job

What race are you?