github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):

profile=gpu-hq

Configuration Files:
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
mpv.io/manual/master/#files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if you're asking performance related questions.

Windows Builds:
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/

Evaluating mpv's upscaling algorithms:
artoriuz.github.io/mpv_upscaling.html

Attached: AsemanOS_MPV.png (1366x768, 974K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kageru.moe/blog/article/grain/
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/pull/6564
warosu.org/g/thread/S70359324#p70374434
mpv.io/installation/
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw too stupid to install scripts on windows

Attached: 1554774259672.gif (500x281, 871K)

Attack on Titan fucking sucks

ask here my dude

Do I put them in the appdata folder where the config file is or the folder with the .exe? All of the path locations I can find on other sites are for linux

mpv rocks

We all know that already, user.

Is it normal that FSRCNNX doesn't kick in if I'm playing 1080p on 2560x1440? If so, what's my best option for scaling then?

Make a folder called "scripts" in the folder where mpv.exe is located. You can also put it in the appdata path, but I'm not 100% sure.
They only kick in when you're upscaling by a factor of 1.4 or more. The OP has a link that compares scalers, SSSR is great.

See pic related.
Just paste them inside the scripts folder.

Attached: scripts.png (1920x1040, 100K)

>They only kick in when you're upscaling by a factor of 1.4 or more. The OP has a link that compares scalers, SSSR is great.
I'll just try that then. I ignored SSSR because that link makes it sound like anything but FSRCNNX is garbage, and I thought it might've worked on everything then. Thanks.

I want to fuck armin

I forgot to mention that you can modify the shaders to work when any kind of upscaling is done. //!WHEN OUTPUT.w LUMA.w / 1.400 > OUTPUT.h LUMA.h / 1.400 > * is how the lines you're looking for look like. Make sure to replace them all.
>I ignored SSSR because that link makes it sound like anything but FSRCNNX is garbage
The one who made it is giving it his best shot to make an objective list of what shaders reproduce an original the best. You might enjoy a sharper image or a blurrier one more, so try others. There's no point in using something more performance intensive if you find less expensive options to be better or good enough.

>using mac-like window buttons
If you like apple UI, then get a mac.
Same thing for windows

why should i use mpv?

I did that but they still don't work, maybe its because I'm trying to use the javascript files like Blackbox

I believe the point is that you can recreate the look without switching to an undesirable platform.
Try a lua script. Your mpv might not be compiled for JS, though I doubt it.

I have a GTX 1070 and an i7 5820k, what settings shoudl I use? Using the noveau driver

No point in using nouveau on a 1070.
Sure the driver is free software, but it has communist blobs anyway.
Just install the nvidia communist drivers.
As for what settings you should use, the highest quality ones for every option, because your GPU can handle it.

SSimDownscaler was updated yesterday, it works now, no artifacting anymore, using d3d11 and a RX 480.

Attached: mpv-shot0002.png (1280x720, 1.16M)

>Play DVD with mpv
>Doesnt work
>Try VLC
>Audio stutters (same as the last cd)
>Try MPV again
>It works
explain

Not running gentoo.

Now that the dust has settled, should deband be left permanently enabled as is default or should it be switched off in your config file and only enabled when needed?

does this really need to be asked?

Permanently enabled.

You can do some shit with it

SSSR looks better than RAVU, is faster than FSRCNNX, and it's meant to work with any scaling factor. Only problem it has is it's not particularly good at dealing with compression artifacts and the like, but that shouldn't be a problem with non-shit sources.

I just meant that SSSR is mentioned in the same breath as RAVU and NNEDI as being worse than FSRCNNX. Also, RAVU seemed to score decently in those tests, not much worse than SSSR.
Also, I just tried SSSR and I just get a completely black image if I use that. I just edited FSRCNNX to also scale 1080p to 2560x1440.

some of them just don't work anymore.

I am finally using mpv on windows thanks to based stax76 making an actual installer and gui controls (while keeping the ability of using commands). Feels good, bros!

>imagine being so retarded that you're unable to execute an install.bat

Attached: 80c.png (645x729, 58K)

>imagine caring about how others install programs
That said. executable > install.bat

These threads need some hearty autism again. I stole this from haasn's config a year or so ago and lowered the grain by half.
deband-iterations=2
deband-range=12
deband-grain=24
It works flawlessly for HorribleSubs' and YouTube's banding.

I personally don't see why you need to "install" it at all.

>grain
into the trash

does adaptive sharpen still need sigmoid upscaling off now that linear-downscaling=no is a thing

I don't want to go find the resource right now but how else is the debanding going to work? It literally adds the grain so it can be used smooth over artifacts.

It was too tough for mpv, so vlc softened it up

admittedly I don't have much knowledge on the technical side but debanding seems to work just fine without added grain

I went and found the source since I started to second guess myself.
>kageru.moe/blog/article/grain/

Windows users thinking they belong here.

How useful is this on android?

Not as useful as a noose.

this site doesnt really say much about why grain is needed
it seems grain is only added to preserve detail or at least give the impression of preserving detail after smoothing

>Generally, noise is an unwanted artifact and grain was added to create a certain effect (flashbacks, film grain, etc) or to prevent banding.
>Furthermore, you should note that most denoisers will create banding which the removed grain was masking (they're technically not creating the banding but merely making it visible). Because of this, you will usually have to deband after denoising.
>Some of these may be quite impressive in terms of file size/compressibility, but they all share a common problem: banding. In order to fix that, we will need to deband and apply grain to the gradients. This may seem counterintuitive, as we have just spend a lot of processing time to remove the grain, but I'll get to that later.
And he never got around to writing the dedicated piece on debanding it seems. A shame really, it seems like he knows his stuff.
tl;dr grain in small amounts is good

I like to install daily usage programs on my machines.
This is our board. LTSC reporting in.

whats the line to keep only one instance of mpv open and use the same window that's already resized to my liking?

I don't really mind, but their lack of enthusiasm is discouraging.
But why? What's the benefit? Does that lack of info under installed programs bother you that much? Or does the installer actually add it to path so you can call it in CMD from anywhere?
You can only achive the one instance thing via a script. use --geometry for the size.

I am just an autist that loves running non-portable programs.

>There's no point in using something more performance intensive if you find less expensive options to be better or good enough.
So much this

You did something wrong the first time and in the end prevailed.

are shaders just a meme?
i use regular scaler meme as such:
scale=box
scale-window=sphinx
scale-radius=1.75

cscale=robidoux # haasnsoft
dscale=ginseng # ewa_robidouxsharp

tscale=box
tscale-window=sphinx
tscale-radius=1.01
tscale-clamp=0.0
tscale-clamp=0.0

and (depending on source quality) 1080p and lesser resolutions look fine to me on a 4k screen. what benefit would i get from shaders other than more cpu/gpu usage?

When will github.com/mpv-player/mpv/pull/6564 be fucking merged?
madvr has had error diffusion dithering for ages, just merge it already!

>profile=gpu-hq
why isn't it part of the default settings?

(sorry for the shitty series)

Attached: iina_in_mac.png (1292x801, 1.33M)

Compatibility.
They want defaults to be able to work on all/most hardware. Including shitty low spec hw. Kinda of sucks because I agree it should be default. Or at least without deband since that can reduce resource usage a lot for old hw.

can anyone actually explain why mpv is better than VLC?

warosu.org/g/thread/S70359324#p70374434

Attached: vlc.webm (1280x720, 997K)

never had this problem

Attached: 1550617521082.png (200x193, 30K)

I want to watch the videos, not because of the video content, but because mpv is just so good. Honestly one of the best software I ever used.
Thinking back on it, I probably feel similar in regards to irc, but that's most likely due to nostalgia.

>deband

not in my config

>the only reason to disable it would be for performance.

Attached: deband.jpg (1518x206, 110K)

>scale=box
>scale-window=sphinx
>scale-radius=1.75

>on a 4k screen

Attached: 810Z2YsgmNL._SY445_.jpg (315x445, 26K)

>madvr has had error diffusion dithering for ages

mpv since ages before but you're too retard to even know it

well, what do you recommend?

Read the OP.

dither=fruit is not error diffusion retard.

Glorious FSRCNNX or RAVU if you want more antialiasing. Anything less is just blurrier crap only useful with 240p 2008's Youtube videos.

>dither=fruit

mpv has ffmpeg you mongoloid, next time do some research before embarras yourself this hard

i actually chuckled you mpv shill but..
this

Then it's not native to mpv

Madvr isn't native to mpc-*

is FSRCNNX_x2_8-0-4-1.glsl enough? anything higher starts dropping fames for me

Is enough, the quality difference with the 16 version is low as fuck. Just don't worth it.

>not native
>madvr

Ok, I changed my mind. Keep embarrasing yourself.

what about ravu?
seems like adding "ravu-r4.hook" twice is the way to go (for 720/1080p -> 4k)?

ffmpeg dithering suck ass when compared to vapoursynth tho.

0.9 dB is not that low. Same difference is between nnedi3-16-8x4 and nnedi3-256-8x6.

Attached: violet-psnrha.png (907x1512, 277K)

good on you for stating the obvious, would you like a cookie retard? stop pissing yourself and go back to your shit corner til someone here call you. Fuck off. Useless bag of shit

can you tell me why mpv cannot play some of my ogg files? They were made by using youtube-dl

>inb4 youtube-dl

I can play them without problems with cmus. This is the only thing that doesn't make me to migrate to EMMS on Emacs. I don't want to use VLC as backend.

The few sample files I tried worked fine streaming with ytdl

Attached: Clipboard01.png (1861x417, 87K)

maybe it was something related to youtube-dl. It's not a big lost but now I have to find each file and download it again.

that said, mpv is nice for playing music.

>maybe it was something related to youtube-dl.
Doubtful since ytdl doesn't alter files, it only downloads them. If you have ffmpeg installed as well and you passed some weird args then maybe you fucked up the files. But that's doubtful too.

yeah, but I guess it will be easier to download them again. Thanks for the tip, thought.

it is, though. what is the just noticeable difference for a person sitting a normal distance away from the screen. 2 dB? 5 dB?

Attached: 8-0-4-1_vs_56-16-4-1_diffmap.png (1920x1080, 196K)

Attached: 8-0-4-1_vs_16-0-4-1_diffmap.png (1920x1080, 193K)

What am I supposed to be looking at or for?

FSRCNNX_56 in real time for when?

Red pixel means different. White pixel means equal.
Looking at where the concentration of red pixels is greater, you're more likely to spot a difference.

I've seen the way of mpv and now I never want to touch any other media player ever again.
Thank you g

Attached: mpv.png (2452x1465, 1.19M)

Cool, now flip between these without your imperceptible diffmaps and you won't be able to tell shit without it being marked out for you. We use eyes to see, not a fucking diffmap.

Sit down child, the Jow Forumstards are talking

>no argument
lmoa, keep circlejerking over your shitty dB charts that are completely meaningless to anyone actually watching content instead of pixel peeping between test images. also, get an actual representative corpus of images to test instead of running all of your meme metrics on literally one image lol.

Is this a secretly arch distro shill thread instead of a mpv thread?

bilinear ~ JPEG @20q
FSRCNNX_56 ~ JPEG @75q
Do the math.

Where can i get exe for mpv.

In the link of the post you replied to

Is this the avg iq of a windows user at display?

mpv.io/installation/

Here ya go user.
github.com/stax76/mpv.net