Alright I know C. How do I get started with PIC controllers without listening to Indian people on YouTube?

Alright I know C. How do I get started with PIC controllers without listening to Indian people on YouTube?

Attached: Pin-diagram-of-PIC16F877A.png (682x583, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ra7bT74EGUs
youtube.com/watch?v=uD6e7FbEqBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why not arm?

>2011+8
>using PIC
lamoing at ur life

Because I already have a book on PIC controllers. I'm working through that but I want additional resources. Also, aren't arm MCUs more expensive?

depends, how much for PIC?

Benheck has really good microcontroller videos
youtube.com/watch?v=ra7bT74EGUs
youtube.com/watch?v=uD6e7FbEqBA

Is there a good hardware simulator for Linux?

they're like 5$

literally the worst fucking choice unless you're just a hobbyist
any of the following is more useful, in ascending order
>msp430
>avr
>nrf52, or more generically:
>cortex m4

at my company we're paying some dood to write firmware for a cortex m4 nordic micro at a rate of about 800 dollaridoos a day, so yeah

Read the datasheet. They are by far the best resource 100% of the time

Also what he said

Packet tracer

Cortex-M0+ and Cortex-M4 are comfy as fuck
I straight out refuse to respect anything without not supported by GCC, and ARMs are very well supported.
It's really easy to get into programming it and toolchains work on loonix.
STM32 boards are ok.

wtf? no

Everywhere I look, Proteus seems to be the go to tool for hardware simulation. But it's not available for linux and I really don't want to fuck with Wine. Are there any alternatives that will actually allow me to upload a hex file and watch my schematic run?

my nigga you can get a cortex m4 dev board for

Well I don't know any of this shit man, it's my first day and I have a fucking useless degree in English!!!!!!!!!

is there anything specific that gets your attention from embedded stuff? specifically, radio stuff like bluetooth, zigbee and that kind of thing? or anything else? start by telling us what you like my man and we'll tell you which dev board would be best

I play drums professionally and I would like to build my own metronome with an lcd screen and a potentiometer for speed.

damn that's some simple shit then, have you considered Arduino?

yeah but arduinos are gay

OP, just grab the fucking datasheet, a compiler and you're good to go. These things are basically programmed using datasheet as your manual.

get an msp430 launchpad then, or if you really want to go arm cortex m4, just any board with a m4 really
m4 is ridiculously overkill for a metronome however

>Are there any alternatives that will actually allow me to upload a hex file and watch my schematic run?

What do you mean here? PICkit-like USB programmers that work with Linux are all over the ebay for cheap.

> m4 is ridiculously overkill for a metronome however
Then maybe stop recommending an overkill. PIC16 will do just fine. It's just a matter of writing code and burning it to the chip.

idk about small PICs, but for PIC32 I use:
- PICkit2 as my USB programmer - shit works with linux, there's open source pic32prog tool
- gcc/binutils built for MIPS (since PIC32 is basically MIPS32)
- ejtagproxy for in-circuit debugging with gdb

I mean I want to upload a hexfile to a hardware simulator before actually flashing it to the chip.

I know, but ideally I'd like to fuck around on a hardware simulator before wiring things up.

I suppose that's fine, I'm a fairly fast learner once I get going and I have no shortage of projects I want to make

I hear pickit USB programmers are the way to go for what I'm looking to do

> - gcc/binutils built for MIPS (since PIC32 is basically MIPS32)
> - ejtagproxy for in-circuit debugging with gdb

I'm unfamiliar...

Id recommend you get a PIC and a programmer, and read the datasheet, then build your own dev board on a breadboard. Its easier than it sounds, and Microchip has killer docs (TI too, but Im more familiar with MC). Then start slow: get to know the different registers, peripherals (timer, i/o pins...), and get a simple project going, like a blinking led or some shit. Try starting with asm before C, because youll get a better feel of how embedded systems work.
You chose a wise path. Eventually, youll ascend to praising 8KB ram max, and shitting on bloatware general purpose desktop OSes

look up picbasic
consider pirating it

> You chose a wise path.

It's the little things like this. Thanks.

>Complains about indians
>Comes to Jow Forums
>doesn't know to read the specification himself