No setup, no wires

>no setup, no wires
>full headset and controller tracking
>fan cooled internal processor, making it more capable for games than the Go
>fan helps with fogging lenses
>IPD adjustment unlike the Index and Rift S
>resolution as high as the vive pro
>399$

Will the Oculus Quest make VR mainstream?

Attached: dims.jpg (1920x1080, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.vrchat.com/docs/quest-content-optimization
roadtovr.com/hands-htcs-5g-hub-demonstrates-vr-cloud-rendering-horizon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Will the Oculus Quest make VR mainstream?
No. Valves shit (if the pricing leaks are true) will. If not VR won't go mainstream for many many many years.
Hardware capability isn't the main problem. It's simply price and the total and complete lack of any and all worthwhile actual VR games instead of "eXpErIeNcEs".

VR tethered to a PC will never go mainstream

Attached: 6dpzg5lmza221.jpg (1024x641, 39K)

Sure the wires are sometimes annoying. Know whats even worse though? Shit VR headsets that are way too expensive for the average consumer to even consider buying, and on top of that literally no content beyond shit VR hentai games which is fun for all of 2 days! Wow!
Also we know literally nothing important aside from price for the Quest and chances are latency will be beyond horrid.

>Will the Oculus Quest make VR mainstream?
No. It needs to be 100$ or less to get mainstream. People won't spend more money on a controller than a console/PC.

Man, if they added DisplayPort and USB connectors to that thing it would've been the perfect headset. Why did they even need to have the S as a separate product?

>Shit VR headsets that are way too expensive for the average consumer to even consider buying
the Quest will be cheaper than the Rift S, Index and WMR isn't worth considering
>latency will be beyond horrid.
what would cause latency in internal hardware you moron?

>the Quest will be cheaper than the Rift S, Index and WMR isn't worth considering
Yeah and still way too expensive for consumers to even consider
>internal hardware
My bad I thought it was just another headset.
Turns out it is an "all in one" so if before it was dead on arrival now it was dead before the fucking big bang.
Why would consumers ever even consider this when they already have their phones? Literally no one will buy this except for a few actual retards.

Because this actually has roomscale tracking with controllers you absolute mong. Phone VR doesn't have any input method

You never tried VR did you?

I own 2 VR headsets. The HTC and a Rift dev kit. On top of that the Microsoft HoloLens I got dirt cheap from work when they discarded it.
VR (for games or entertainment) sucks, is massively overpriced and completely fucking overrated right now. Of those three things I own I'd pick the AR Hololens over both VR headsets and any other VR headset I tried before even though at release it costed much much more than any VR headset.

>Phone VR doesn't have any input method
And you think the average consumer gives a shit? They'll see this as competing with their phone VR shit. And gamers won't buy this shit either cause they will see it as a glorified 400$ controller. This shit is dead, buried, dug up, raped, and buried again before it even came out. Especially with a 400$ fucking price tag.

Consumer VR will never go mainstream as long as you got shit like this peddled as the next big thing™ and a total improvement promise!™ over the last fucking shit headset. Consumers got burned before and won't buy another 400$ fucking VR headset.

>IPD adjustment unlike the Index
Index has IPD bergstein, it's the other shitty products that don't

It's meh. I have the development hardware. Ama.

What about it is meh?

The resolution is nice, and the internal cooling fan really helps and makes it comfortable over longer sessions. But the hardware and performance really is a letdown.

Valve Index will make VR mainstream? You are delusional, it's mainly for enthusiasts.
In terms of pricing, ease of setup and usability Rift S has a better chance to get mainstream (it won't though)

After 3 year experience with the htc vive with a gtx 1080 (since it came out), I can safely say that the most fun and entertaining games have the most simple graphics.
I'm really excited about this headset, the cable, comfort and the setup process are what keeping me playing around with it a lot of the time, and the quest solves all of them.

As said if the price leaks are true. And chances are they aren't.

You know what would get me to buy a vr headset right the fuck now? Ace combat with a full vr supported campaign. MechWarrior 5 is coming out in September and supposedly that will have vr support as well so maybe if that's good I'll give that a shot.

It will sell better than any other VR headset so far but it will still not go mainstream, mainly because mobile VR is still way too weak to run any kind of cool stuff, it's all 90's graphics

what leaks? haven't seen anything regarding pricing

VR is dead

There been a couple leaks (some from confirmed sources some from questionable at best sources) about pricing ranging from 200$-300$ with the three games Valve talked about developing some years ago. There is also the bullshit about Half Life VR coming bundled with it and so on. But as I said, don't get your hopes up. 200$ is ridiculous, they could afford to do it it's fucking Valve after all, but I am hammering X cause I doubt they will.

Nah that's completely unrealistic. I see basestations and Knuckles alone costing $200-300

The only reason I even mention it is because some credible sources have claimed it but seriously not gonna happen imo.

VR is a meme gimmick fad that is already over.

Attached: 1537718915124.jpg (406x360, 42K)

Damn that's sobering

VR is a alpha testing for the matrix. You cannot disprove this.

Attached: smithstein.jpg (374x689, 29K)

VR for entertainment only sucks if you're a streamfag. If you download your content it's fucking amazing.

It gets old really fast. Had friend over and try it and after the first few times the rose coloured glasses break and you notice the massive gaping flaws. AR is fucking amazing for design work, VR is little more than a meme right now. And a fucking expensive one at that.

burden of proof is on you

inside out will never track as well as outside in

those are bullshit numbers. Only Sony has ever released sales figures

it will and it does. You can find deadzones in both tracking systems, if that's what you're looking for specifically. But you don't look for them, you just play games.

>look at all those claims made by me, completely pulled out of my arse without any source or clue what the fuck I am talking about

Attached: 1544282334319.jpg (500x613, 70K)

have you ever tried WMR?

I prefer my HoloLens not gonna lie. But I only tested it for a few hours.

WMRs are using i/o tracking and it works fine, with some minor issues of course.
But WMRs have just 2 tracking cameras. Quest has 4, Rift S has 5, so tracking area is hugely improved. I/o is fine if done right and Oculus are doing it right.

VR is great and I want to point out that almost nobody has a problem with the tech side of VR as it works, other than that you have to wear it and can look silly and are essentially blindfolded. Because once you're in VR it's cool.

The real complaint about VR is that the people capable of creating VR content are not creating the content we want. That's the real complaint.
We don't have a GTA VR we don't have an Oasis. Everyone says it's tech demos and games we don't want.
However, the VR most made fun of and also the most sold,the PSVR, has a lot of good games that are not, and may never be, on the PC and are AAA but are still, not what we want, the big city, new life, fun things to do, giant VR game.

It's not the tech it's the software holding back VR. VR needs a Fortnite or GTA or Mario 64 some big well made game that millions can get to like and also lives up to expectations.

GTA couldn't even put in true steering wheel support... Not holding out any hope there

Sony reviving PlayStation home in vr would absolutely smash that concept for the masses. Steam and Oculus should've had that from the start.

Doesn't the index have IPD adjustment though?

>no setup
why do people keep saying this lie

Quest has too many compromises to be a flagship. Mobile VR won't be viable until cloud rendering with extremely low latency happens.
At the very least, it needs less potato specs and eye tracking to do foveated rendering with.
VRChat, though in its self a potato, is a good example of just how low spec the Quest is, and how much stripping back of games has to be done to get them to run on it:
docs.vrchat.com/docs/quest-content-optimization
50k polygons for a world, 5k for player avatars.
A player avatar in the PC version is limited to 70k.
Other highlights of how utterly stripped back it has to be to run on the Quest:
>1k texture - on 1 material
>1 skinned mesh renderer
>no cloth physics
>no dynamic bones
>no dynamic lights
>no post-processing

PC VR is incubating the future of consumer VR, which will boom when a good 6DOF wireless headset exists with a next-gen console that's affordable and easy to setup. Mobile VR is a distraction from that.

PSVR is already mainstream?

It has actual games and is a lot more easy fun in the living room than a set of autism glasses in front of a computer.

Low latency cloud rendering is literally, physically impossible unless you put a data center on every city block.

The tech is already being demoed. It won't be without hitches, but it's far from impossible.
>roadtovr.com/hands-htcs-5g-hub-demonstrates-vr-cloud-rendering-horizon/
Reprojection and timewarp go a very long way. All you have to do on-device is keep track of the depth buffer and warp the existing frame, an order of magnitude or two resource intensive than rendering a new frame from scratch.

i'm going to buy an index when it comes out if it's under 500$, someone talk me out of it.