Tfw lose all motivation to work on programming projects (C) when you look at interview/leetcode/hackerrank questions...

>tfw lose all motivation to work on programming projects (C) when you look at interview/leetcode/hackerrank questions and feel retarded
Pic unrelated

Attached: E2C76350-F464-4157-B1DD-736BE7C99E41.jpg (1283x1111, 244K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.princeton.edu/~wayne/kleinberg-tardos/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5A714C94D40392AB
youtu.be/K4eAyn-oK4M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're always quesitons involving shit like dynamic programming, network flow, greedy algorithms, shit you would learn in an algorithms class. What you need is an algorithms design book that teaches basic design strategy (and no, not Skeina's algo book, a real grad intro) cs.princeton.edu/~wayne/kleinberg-tardos/

If you don't get the math watch these lectures until you do youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5A714C94D40392AB they are just notation for plugging in values to a function and basic analysis

Thanks, user

The fucking lad...

i know the feel bro
trying to restart ongoing learning in the worst way
start by surrounding yourself w code things, browse

Attached: thispersondoesnotexist-6-64.jpg (1024x1024, 1.05M)

>Wildberger

Yeah don't listen to this retard.

You should know the basic techniques and be comfortable solving algorithms problems, but don't worry about being competitive on those. Its a different skill than engineering, its more like "puzzle solving" and takes a certain kind of person and interest.

>tfw you go on hackerrank to maybe build a portfolio and all the problems are easy as shit conceptionally but a pain in the ass to implement to meet the acceptance criteria
>tfw I aint getting paid for this

i guess I'll just become a scrum master or someshit.

Attached: 1555026541358s.jpg (250x216, 6K)

I feel this way, but my problem is that I

Attached: 1548888952948.jpg (800x600, 122K)

>need to do these fucking code golf exercises to get a job
>all the jobs are just plumbing work
Every time

Same but opposite: I look at what other people are challenged by and feel like they are retarded.

werth tho

what's wrong with being a plumber, bigot?

>I look at what other people are challenged by and feel like they are retarded.
just another day at the office desu senpai

I'm good at those sort of problems but still have no idea how to build actual software or get a real job.

>I'm good at those sort of problems but still have no idea how to build actual software

1) learn UML

> or get a real job.

2) apply for any job through friends in the industry

I never had to apply to more than 4 jobs to get a good one when I was looking around.

>friends

Not him but I think everyone knows that, but it has practically turned into a game of sorts though. It really sucks that no other career interview is like this, no one asks a doctor interviewing how to diagnose something based on symptoms or a trader to do number calculations, they just trust the credentials. But for some reason, probably related to all the fakers during the dot com boom, it has become fashionable to ask these types of questions when they don't relate to your job at all. I can understand big companies doing one or two problems to filter out candidates but even small time startups and companies do this too for some reason.

average iq on G is 65 be careful

i'm sure you know some people, either through discord channels or other shit

If all plumbers needed to be mensa members, then I wouldn't be one either.

>I can understand big companies doing one or two problems to filter out candidates

I signed with one of the big blue chips and I didn't have to do a single coding problem. after they told me they'd accepted me they said I should do their IQ bullshit tests but it's just a formality and shouldn't take it too seriously.

*shrug*

credentials and hearsay are getting more important again I guess

plumbing plumbing is probably more exciting than software plumbing.

that is a fact and the point he was probably making.

Hopefully but I think it might be for some big companies everyone wants to work for FAANG and Microsoft that even those companies are shortlisted on people so they won't do bullshit like that when it comes to things like that. But I am job searching now and it is partially demotivating I can't solve an easy and medium Leetcode in one hour. The easy I can get 60% of the time but I have only solved one medium in my 6 tries with the mock feature, with like 1 minute to spare. Thing is living in Silicon Valley, everyone emulates the big companies in some respect so it is difficult to get much out of things if you're not grinding Leetcode.

forget the timer

do the hardish problems and take all the time you need

do understand however that for some of them you might be missing fundamental theoretical knowledge, which you'll probably only get from an actual degree. (or unless you read ALL the books)

nah, wildberger is the best at short and clear math explanations. Every video he explains the standard definition of something, then comes up with his own notation in a form that somebody in Grade 6 could understand to show how it could be modelled in a clearer specification that is more amenable to computation. Using his meme math helps you learn the 'regular' math.

For example this explanation of Limits youtu.be/K4eAyn-oK4M
To the typical programlet who has never been exposed to any math, they walk away knowing both epsilon, and limit notation which is good enough to understand the first chapter of that algorithm book
Then they can proceed to his videos on solving/manipulating inequalities, that will cover the entire divide and conquer chapter on solving recurrence relations. Wildberger even has some introductory probability vids to understand the last chapter on randomized algorithms/Monte Carlo techniques to solve problems that have an element of randomness in them, a freq challenge on those 'topcoder' sites.

Attached: terryadaviz.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

They absolutely test traders, you have to do fast arithmetic in your head for groups of numbers. A doctor is professionally licensed and completes a residency, meaning they apprentince directly under other doctors after like 6yrs of university. No licensing exists for programmers so you have to test them with very common optimization problems you can easily learn from an algorithms book. It's not about just reciting merge sort it's about how would you model X problem in computation in order to solve the problem, if its even solvable. Imagine you are at Netflix and you want to generate html on the fly for users. How would you model the running time to do this, are the methods feasible at X scale, what is the optimum data structure to use in order to store history and/or generate new html. You can do this on paper before spending money and resources on writing the prototype. Suppose the problem is detecting X in a field filled with noise. How would you best optimally filter the noise. Everyday programmers have to do this in video games, finance scraping and sorting market data, tons of domains. It's not impossible to learn

I just wish programming was more like trades and residency instead of putting you on the spot, but the main problem is when logic errors are 90% of the problems you face for some sort of particular software position and they still test you on this, it's just not really relevant at hand to do something that is almost orthogonal in an interview to everyday work.