IT Careers/Jobs

How many of you guys actually started with 0 knowledge in IT. I've thought about taking the IT route, but I'm already feeling a little overwhelmed just by looking at the material.

Attached: comp.png (602x287, 98K)

I started with 0, then I went to college.

Im starting from 0 too, i want to get into Networking, i will probably take the CompTIA exams and then go for the CISCO meme certifications

Currently 31 years old and taking a course to prepare me for the Linux+ certification. Is it actually worth a shit or will I need to go for RHEL in order to get my foot in the door?

Does anyone have any good reaction pics combining frustration and sheer stupidity?

Attached: filterSalesman.jpg (680x493, 35K)

I am going to take the a+ test tomorrow spent sent 2 months studying for it. Just use a couple of youtube videos.

>Currently 31

Damn I'm 25 and I'm trying to go for the A+. Apart of me feels like its a waste of time because there aren't any job opening for help desk in my city. But since I don't know shit about IT, I feel like I gotta start all the way from the bottom.

I'm getting into the field now, but from what I heard, these CompTIA certs are nice to have, except for A+. A+ is apparently just basic computer knowledge and isn't taken seriously aside from maybe working help desk. It's the Network+ and Security+ that are actually worth having.
I took the Network+ (old version), and it's actually very comprehensive, going over all the cable standards, physical and logical network architectures, safety precautions when installing a network, and even obscure stuff like WiMax.

For anyone who's studying for certifications but actually wants to retain things beyond the test, I recommend using spaced repetition tools. I used one for my AWS certs and I've become the defacto AWS expert on my team. Which is awesome because I don't have to deal with shitty old servers as much now.

are you studying for other shit too? The job posting for help desk always have a huge list of demands and I just feel like I'm way too underqualified for the job.

kek i thought that A+ was just all the 3 certifications together

>spaced repetition tools
What's that

just look into cursera
IT is not webdev you cant learn it just from experience

I'm working it into the curriculum of my management degree because I'm getting 3 semester hours out of it. I spent my 20's drinking and pipe welding and burning through my GIBILL.

Im just going straight to N+

Attached: Comptia-Pathway.png (1006x447, 109K)

I used Anki cuz it's free, but there's a bunch more out there. Spaced repetition is the best scientifically studied way to permanently memorize thing. You can google about it. It takes some discipline to actually make the flashcards and open the app, but most certifications have publicly available flashcard decks that random people have made so you don't have to make your own.

I've thought about getting that too. Only problem is that I feel like I won't be able to land a job just with a N+ cert.

Nope, it's a stepping stone into the other ones

>I won't be able to land a job just with a N+ cert

Oh yeah i think the same but you have to start with something i guess, then you can take the CISCO certifications.

Me.

>take a comp science course back in 2001
>forget all that shit
>have interview and never study
>Day of the interview
>during breakfast open old comp science book to glossary
>read the definition of a router
>at interview
>what's the definition of a router user?
>recite definition verbatim
>welcome aboard son
>boss thinks I'm an autism my entire time with the company
>find out later he fought tooth and nail to get
me on his team

I've hated my life and technology since. I was only mildly into tech and now that it's my job I hate this shit. But that was a very cool and life changing moment. I've bounced from IT, to video editing, to graphic design, to web design, to who knows where next
all thanks to that flip of the book and that shitty helpdesk job.

Feels not so bad actually.

Attached: DyXNIKLWwAUzQMQ.jpg (180x192, 9K)

Damn nigga I did not realize they had a pathway like that set up. I think I'll circle back to the beginning of that once I'm done with my Linux class.

Whoops that was supposed to be web design and web dev.

A+ into helpdesk then CCNA/mcsa/Aws or whatever else you want to do

>looking at help desk roles because i have no experience
>all the help desk roles consider previous experience in a help desk role as 'essential'

it's literally the most entry level role in IT what the fuck

Attached: 1460280773165.jpg (766x960, 80K)

will the knowledge of the CCNA help you with the Aws or is it a different thing?

Even if i get a CNNA or some good certifications will i have to start as help desk? because if so im dropping this right now, i don't want to deal with people on the phone or some shit.

yeah probably

I know that feel user. Many job descriptions are written by people far removed from the position and many jargon words are thrown in there and requirements are all over the place. If you apply and get an interview, show enthusiasm (be genuine) and explain how the the soft skills you have compare to what your applying for. I can't tell you how but be yourself and work on a niche that can't be found easily. Back when I was applying for jobs as a pipe welder fresh out of trade school, I beat several guys that had many years of experience. Why? Simple geometry. I could explain Pythagorean theorem and some simple trig while they could not. Look through the job descriptions, hit reddit, and find that niche skill to compliment what little you do have.

how do you not start with 0 you drooling retard? are there people who are born knowing how to program in C?

How useful are these certs for personal projects/hobby? I wouldn’t do the actual test, but is the study material actually worthwhile?

Mainly looking for a comprehensive Linux resource. Starting to settle down with my career and I’d really like to get into Coreboot development for fun.

thanks for the tips

How old are you guys?
Is the whole age discrimination thing real in the tech world? I'm 25 and just starting out.

Attached: gonna kill my feels .jpg (1232x1226, 374K)

Started with 0 knowledge. 8months later an L1 data center tech. I work with some absolute mongoloids at what is externally regarded as a grail company. But, the benefits and potential for growth is nice

27 and one year of working experience.

Taking my an A+ 901 & 902 class and have the exams in like 2 weeks and I'm freaking out. Over the last few months I should have been studying but all I've been doing is just doing the bare minimum and doing homework.

I'm now trying to watch and study everything that Professor Messer has to offer.

Any tips on what I should focus on or good resources?

where in IT did you start in?

web development, php javascript wordpress drupal shit

Take practice quizzes online

oh yeah and I make less than 50k

I found apples exams to be complete bullshit but Cisco exams are no joke. If you truly study the CCNA that is out now you will steamroll over some ccnps. Oldfags brag about fucking rip at my job because they're terrified of OSPF

I got a job with a company doing small business (think less than ten people, maybe one physical server for AD/files) IT and the only knowledge I had at the time was basic computer repair (troubleshoot HDD/memory failure, overheating, PSU failure, etc.), basic Windows repair (startup repair, system restore, sfc) and I had been using Linux daily for a few years. I'm halfway through a four year degree program for systems administration now.

Cisco lives in their own world user. CCNA is useful if you are going to be working with Cisco equipment, and you may also pick up some general networking knowledge if you somehow made it into a CCNA course or to the test without knowing networking fundamentals.

Oh so when you basically want to work in "Networking" you have to choose some company to work for and study their thing? Doesn't AwS use some CISCO equipment or something like that? Amazon seems to be a big player that will keep getting bigger

25 here as well, less than 6 months into IT. So far helpdesk has been really slow and boring but its giving me alot of time to study which is great. I have my A+ and just recently got my Net+ by passing barely.
Im probably gunna take some classes at my community college to get my CCNA then work towards getting into cyber security

That's only really true of Cisco, they tend to invent their own standards and terminology and they are the "industry standard", so their certs are what hiring managers look for, among others.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out Amazon and/or AWS uses Cisco equipment, but it's not necessarily guaranteed either. There are other vendors capable of providing similar support, features, and performance besides Cisco.

A+ is the most outdated POS cert please don't fall for this absolute meme

Don't take CompTIA shit. Just shows you can handle babby stuff, that's all. L1 IT dont need that kinda shit. Jump right in as L1 in a small hardware distributor company and go the extra mile for a year. Go L2 and go the extra mile for a year. By year 3 you have enough working experience to do other things. Always suggest things that is not at your Level of Service, it'll show your supervisor you have glimpses of knowledge needed to move up. Watch certification videos online to git gud.

Ya let's all just throw are garbage advice onto each other..

>any certification is meaningless shit
>your career trying to be top aws shit for brains devops read this configure this is meaningless shit
>there won't be a help desk career to be had in 10 years (hince why you guys make shit money)
>if you think the people building shit can't automate your trival beer boop tasks kill yourself

How to get a career in IT.

>build something with marketable tech stack ( oo maybe just a fucking mvc webapp java spring-boot )
>understand and be able to explain that something
>deploy it on internet somewhere
>spam stack overflow with shit
>spam repos with shit pull requests
>3 months later
>go to some local public tech event
>talk to people look stupid ask questions learn
>spam LinkedIn recruiters they're thirsty af
>follow up every opportunity exhaust it of all possibilities
> no way you won't find someone to look at your shitty webapp and not give you a job
>key is you know everything about what you built and at least the basics of everything you copy pasta

>guaranteed job making more starting then all these l33t config my beep boop fucks at peak of career

I'll pass thanks anyway.

You need to define what “starting with 0” is.

Do you mean you struggle to operate a computer?

Do you mean you can resolve most of your IT issues yourself with google?

Do you build your own desktops and know how to program a little?

There is a wealth of difference between what 0 means to different people.

I can
>understand basic CS concepts, not tech illiterate
>use the linux stack, e.g. comfortable with CLI and usual core utils and stuff like ssh, etc
>program in C, python, bash and could pick up any language and stack in theory (but won't out of ideology, because fuck e.g. webdev cancer)
And it honestly feels like negative 0. A piece of paper means more than anything else, the more I self-learn is just more time wasted.

i know how to open a web browser and log into facebook

Has anyone experienced anything beneficial career-wise by getting AWS certs? Particularly if you are a developer/devops.

This is not for you then.

Run up a virtual lab.
>free esxi on hardware you have lying around
>set up dc
>set up exchange
>set up sheeple to give your network traffic
>set up gpos to administer the domain
>set up pfsense to let domain route to internet
>burn it all down and repeat as many times as required

>Do you mean you can resolve most of your IT issues yourself with google?
this

lol
no help desk in 10 years
sure

i got security+

only useful if you are going to be doing a DoD job. material was a joke

I'm confused. People say A+ is worthless meme for entry level now but then how do you get your foot in the door?

That is not starting at zero. If you can't get a job with that then either you're shit at marketing yourself or you're overestimating your skills.

I started 10 years ago with entry level support. Moved up one notch there and then switched to a smaller company doing local infrastructure and app specific support. Stayed there for three years. Moved, got a shitty help desk job for a few months and then quit IT for almost 5 years. Now I'm back at it with infrastructure and specific app support again for a major company.

I started with having bought old computers, picked them apart, put them together again and installed all available windows and linux on them. I built small lans, programmed some shitty cli games and helped friends and family with their computers. With that I got my first helpdesk job.

They mean that if you want to take it take it but that won't get you a job.

What did you do in those 5 years off user?

So what do you need for entry level IT job now? A fucking college degree?

the problem you're going to run into is the 747 other "self taught" people that think they're a sysadmin because they installed ubuntu and think they can program because they changed some variable names in something they lifted off of stack overflow. You have to set yourself apart from that, which either means getting a degree or building some sort of portfolio to demonstrate your competence. The demand in this sector is high, but it isn't so high that they'll hire random people and train them for months before firing 95% of them.

PS you don't program in bash. That's the kinda statement that'll get your resume thrown in the, "misrepresenting their abilities" pile.

A bachelors.

By knowing someone who can vouch for you. If you don’t have someone, you are shit out of luck

I'm a wildly successful backend web developer, mainly java. I make so much I will retire in 5 years. AMA but I'm about to pass out so hurry if you want an answer.

i started getting into it with zero knowledge, i still dont know that much. but im retarded enough to keep going and learning and all that dumb shit and probably get myself stuck in a job fixing shit windows machines with a bunch of retards.

can you adopt me sir

So a 4 year degree is required for a 30-40k per year job?

Perhaps under these conditions: you are feminine and a nympho. And you're cool with lsd and meth.

College doesn't teach you anything, a Master degree is where the pay is at, it will take you 6-7 years.

Yes sir i wear cat ears for you sir and a tail sir

>just go L1
Easier said than done - locally all entry IT positions require all three: certs, experience, and a comp sci BS. Some places are generous and accept a 2 year degree in addition to SIX YEARS industry experience. Nobody accepts actual entry level employees. It reminds me of an old CKY skit about how to rob a house: never rob a house for the first time!

No mention of LSD or meth. Not interested. Sorry pradeep

It's kinda retarded to ask but still, Networking people can't work remotely right?

pretty much

Small companies hire the work out to a contractor and larger companies with real IT departments have real budgets and real money to lose if things get screwed up. They're not going to hire someone that's self taught.

Okay but how exactly do you get where the master degree job is at if you have no experience? People say you start with help desk but the thing is how do you get to help desk if A+ is worthless now and a bachelor's seems excessive for a 30k per year job.

You have to get a degree and then study to get a Master degree to get a 30k job (7 years), that's how it is user and only for a help desk position.

no no no, stay the fuck out. If a computer isn't like a 4th limb to you (5th limb to numales) then stay the fuck out. Don't get certs, don't start learning, just stay in sales or marketing or whatever it is you resigned to and let us take care of the big boy work.

Attached: 1552209824070.jpg (216x250, 7K)

An associates will get you in the door if all you want to do is help desk, but you really need a bachelors.

A master's degree can be helpful, but the cost benefit analysis isn't as clear cut like the bachelors. An MS makes more sense when your employer will pay for it.

A doctorate is more or less exclusively the domain of a researcher.

Too late user pajeet is already taking your job

Why haven't things like systems/network/security admins transitioned into a trade like plumbers or electricians?

This. I hate this big explosion of people trying to get into tech jobs. I remember when it was only for fat pasty nerds or in general computer nerds but now Stacy, Chad, and everybody and their Grandma is trying to get in and flood this area of jobs. Fuck off we're full.

Because it takes actual study to do those things? programming in the other hand is full of pajeets so you could say it is a trade now.

someone is mad

It takes actual study to not kill yourself or others when wiring a new skyscraper too.

First Chad took your girl and now is taking your job. kek

This is why I'm sticking with programming. Sure I could be a sysadmin and automate 90% of my job, but that stuff isn't that hard. People will figure it out. Writing software takes knowledge, intelligence, and effort. People won't bother to get good at it even when it's the last bastion of IT that pays well.

I started with 0 knowledge with programming. I went in a course that forced Java throughout the majority of their units. With the exception of a C and C++ unit that rekted me over big time due to pointers and memory management, which I wanted to learn badly yet apparently I'm a brainlet for those languages. Only have decent-tier knowledge in Java, SQL, and Python so far.

Majority of these jobs will be automated and require some programming knowledge and mathematics to be relevant. Normies will suffer to find work unless they adapt and get into the tech industry.

>durr python will automate networking!
You clearly don't know shit what you are talking about besides, programming is full of codemonkeys and pajeets, a good sysadmin with a CCIE is making +150K, and if Stacy and Chad want to get into IT the first thing people will tell them is "durr learn how to code", unless you are a really good developer you are in the same level as them.

Bash is better glue than Python.

I'm 30 and joined the Army when I was 25 to be a 25N (Network Systems Operator).
I was thrown onto a system with Cisco routers, switches, call managers, firewalls, and a ton of other things so I learned quick. I only had the basic gaming PC knowledge before. I started going to school for cybersecurity at the same time as well. I am now in my final year and have learned a ton of shit and already received several responses from recruiters about jobs.
CompTIA certs like Sec+ and Net+ really are only good for DoD jobs and those pay at the lowest end of the spectrum anyways. Cisco networking and security certs are gonna be worth more. After years of experience this stuff comes easy now so if you wanted IT I would say it's super easy to join the military in the IT area, knock out 4 years real quick while they send you to get sec+ and net+ out of their pocket, and get out with experience, certs, and the GI Bill. 4 years really isn't shit and some people are signing up for 3 now. The military is shit but there's alot of benefits to this dumb shit.

>join air force
>never get deployed or see action
>get paid by the government to learn
>end up with a job and tons of benefits

same basically. I have only had to go out for hurricane recovery shit in texas, florida, and puerto rico. I am just using TA and the Pell Grant to knock out this degree as quick as possible. I guess I could just go in and knock out sec+ and net+ whenever but I am not interested in that basic shit in the slightest. Might just go after my CEH.

Face reality, probably in +20 years the average person is going to know how to code, basic coding is already being implemented in primary schools in Japan, it's really stupid to think that tech will remain as a niche and if automated things is what worries you then remember someone has first to automate things. Basic-intermediate coding will also be performed by machines in the future.

I'm fresh out of high school and just started college. I've always had a huge interest in computers ever since I was a little kid but now I'm starting to consider about getting a career related to it.

Originally, I was planning on becoming a programmer but I realize that being a system admin or network admin might be more suited for me. However, I don't really know what to expect in computer science and the process of getting a bachelor's degree. I also don't know where to start on teaching myself so that I can easily get a job.

tl;dr
>fresh out of highschool and wants to get into sys admin/network admin/maybe database admin
>don't know what to expect in comp sci and how to progress
>want to easily get in a job or at least an internship

Attached: f18.png (640x480, 18K)

There are a lot of resources, check

Currently employed to train people and some to do some internal dev. I want to pass OSCP, to have better job offers than what I currently receive, and because I always been attracted to computer security. I just want something else than cookie cutter jee/angular shits with agile and nerf guns on top of it.

Cisco is only a meme on this board. A competent Cisco certified network tech that knows how to talk/communicate to bosses, coworkers, and customers will make some good cash

Says who

>harddrive broke
>send to company for data recovery
>worried the company snitches me to the cops for my data which is on the disk (redpill material about jews, hitler stuff and a lot of porn)

am i fucked?