What's the point of 60% keyboards?

What's the point of 60% keyboards?

Attached: 61DBrqqdf8L._SX425_ (1).jpg (425x239, 13K)

Typing

To save space for people who have a lot of stuff on their desk. Though why people would use this over the 1800 layout beats me.

Covers the essentials for what most people use a keyboard for whilst taking up less space. The patricians form-factor.

Attached: 1526874476370.jpg (953x1200, 299K)

What kinds of things do people have on their desk besides a keyboard and mouse

Whatever they need immediately available. I’m not one of those people, though, so I don’t know.

looking l33t on reddit

>tfw you see someone with a 60/70% keyboard and a ten-key board that takes up more space combined than a full size keyboard

They're for manlets with narrow shoulders so they don't have to stretch to reach their mouse.

So you can show people online that you only know how to use 60% of your computer.

Just another thing for bugmen to waste money on.

upvotes

Attached: fix.png (953x1200, 497K)

In japan many people do not have enough space in their apartment for a full size keyboard

Programming mostly
Who needs numpad

Drinks, food (not me), books, shit that you used a month ago

>essentials
>no numpad

accountants use numpad and arrow keys for work, as one of the only jobs that so do. I use them for nethack, others might not at all.
based on a guess, >50% of people could easily lose the numpad.

A shit ton of paper, several books, a mechanical pencil and an eraser. Also, a drill but that's not normally there.

I've got the Pok3r 60%. Same functionality as a complete keyboard, just some functionality is locked behind a super key - I have mine as capslock. Means I can work without ever having to leave the home row for anything, as well as macro certain things on the fly if I need to. Pretty handy to the point where I hate using full keyboards now.

Attached: pok3r_base.png (824x283, 43K)

>manlets with narrow shoulders
im planning on transitioning

Attached: 1459239762488.jpg (723x691, 99K)

don't worry, you can call them "broad" shoulders as long as you're a girl
broads should have narrow shoulders

correct, most people are not accountants

a dislike for bloat

I am an accountant, AMA

They're for;
>People trying to short-sightedly save a buck when buying their new RGB mechanical gaymen keyboard
>People without a decent sized desk
>People who put form before function
I put 60% squarely in the meme category, I've tried using a friend's personally and having so much shit in the fucking Fn layer is just infuriating. I don't know how anyone can live with that shit as their daily driver, but to each their own I guess.
I use a TKL with a separate numpad on the left, it's the best compromise I've found that is close to perfect for my needs. A full size left handed keyboard would actually be ideal for me but there's barely any on the market.

Attached: 1513210572620.jpg (460x585, 20K)

>destroying your body for a meme
After a year everyone realizes they are just gender fluid femboys.

Attached: 1543477663956.png (680x538, 319K)

Got this one for 15$ less (used to be 30).

Attached: w.jpg (1000x1000, 76K)

thank you for your blog

Is it any good? What's the name if so

Ajazz ak33. There's a lot of chink keyboards with mechanical switches but they all come with RGB backlighting and "gamerz" features so I picked the most basic one.
Also cause I'm dirt poor too

>70519203
You're not a chad so you wouldn't understand

I wish i could use one of these but i use the numpad as a calculator too often.

At least get something with separate arrow keys, how do people use their keyboards without those is beyond me.

Generally a prostitute because my wife gets angry when I bring them home

Have you considered buying a seperate numpad as well as a 60%? Might be a solid comprimise for your prediciment.

It's for retarded minimalist faggots.

If that's your opinion maybe it's you are the fag
Fag

>Race 3 layout
Bizarre.

Good question, watch the faggots who simply want to look "cool" try to give "valid" arguments that all get busted when you bring up that many of the 60% faggots also use an external numpad and when you bring this up their completely lose their shit and come up with the weirdest excuses.

I'll never understand why they just don't flat out say that they think it looks better

numpad is nice for shortcuts. arrow keys are nice for navigating between lines.

I'd rather have the option of having extra keys that I may only use once a week than not having the option at all. Most people who buy these already have a full length keyboard anyway. They just pull this shit out when taking battlestation pics because they're massive faggots.

You do know that the omitted keys are accessible via Fn right?

But I got arrow keys tho?
I just never use the numpad

A workmate of mine has one of them, I tried to use it and it is super uncomfortable.

The same as TKLs except the people who use 60%s use the mouse as their primary form of input, rather than the keyboard.
If you really need to save space, then a 65% or 75% if you really need dedicated Fkeys are better options. Dedicated arrow keys make a world of difference.

keyboard, recording interface and a lil headphone amp

Why 60%'s?
>Great portability
>Reduced finger travel when typing
>Standardised components for a huge range of customisation options
>Often fully programmable
>Can be built very cheaply
>Look sweet ;)
I remap capslock to function and have my arrows under hjkl, it's super comfy desu
I'll be buying an HHKB soon though, that with BKE lights/ultralights, silencing rings, PBT hipro blanks and a Hasu controller will be endgame for me

Attached: 1553352954382.jpg (1600x900, 80K)

I agree with your greentext but I don't understand half of the white text

none

HHKB is a keyboard brand, silencing rings are rubber rings that you use to lower key cap noise when you bottom out, PBT blanks are key caps, and hasu is a bluetooth controlller.
BKE I think are custom rubber dome for topre switches.

/mkg/ brain disease.

clout

Attached: UwU.jpg (3264x2344, 1.27M)

Childhood is wanking over muh minimalism
Adulthood is realizing maximalism is the way to go.

Attached: 1549421387751.jpg (4032x3024, 1.18M)

Where can I get one of these?

Fucking this.

I understand the pleasures of small keyboards, but I can't for the life of me understand how the hell any heavy keyboard user can live without arrow keys. It's one of the more frequently used keys on the board.
Because of that, I'm eyeing a Varmilo va69m. Pic related.

Attached: varmilo_va69m_darklight_grey_pbt_red_led_mx_red.jpg (600x480, 31K)

The point is that you barely ever use those additional keys you get on "100%" keyboards. Really, the 60% keyboards should be seen as the default 100% keyboard. All supplementary keys such as arrowkeys or the numpad are "expansions".

Let's be real, the vast majority of people barely ever touch the "Ins, Home, PgUp, ..." keys. Same with the function keys. Even arrowkeys are used sparingly since most games adopted WASD and other uses could easily be done with the help of a modifier key.

Ideally, Caps Lock could be swapped with a better alternative such as Backspace.

Attached: 13356451354.jpg (325x288, 42K)

Tenkeyless IMHO make sense. Most people I've seen, myself included, rarely, if ever, use the numpad. Removing it gives you the advantage of being able to place the mouse closer to the keyboard: this shorter travel distance proves much more comfortable in the long run, after long working hours.
60% keyboards however are too extreme. Function keys and arrow keys are helpful, and there is no practical reason to remove them, unlike the numpad.

>>Ideally, Caps Lock could be swapped with a better alternative such as Backspace.
That's what Lisp machines did. But we killed them.

Attached: 1531054575131.jpg (600x450, 67K)

Attached: do you even portable.jpg (796x596, 105K)

Lisp machines comeback when?

That's more work though. 2 buttons instead of 1. I personally never like using shortcuts that require multiple keys.

Because they're cute :3

I bind enter to it
Left enter

This

To me, moving my hand to the arrow keys and back is more work than moving my fingers a little for a combo. I can use my arrow keys without leaving the homerow

60% is a great form factor for portable wireless keyboards, but yeah for a desktop it 's really not an improvement over tkl.

l can't afford all the keycaps if I go fullsize.

>he uses homerow instead of gamerkeys
Smh

>Function keys and arrow keys are helpful, and there is no practical reason to remove them, unlike the numpad.
I'd say function keys are borderline since having to use a single modifier key and the number row is pretty trivial. That said they also have a really tiny impact on form factor since width isn't really a concern in keyboards so it's not a huge deal either way.

I want this so fucking much.
seconded

Attached: C5B70657-30A7-4697-892A-5DA039A28D5B.jpg (157x117, 3K)

>have you considered buying two keyboards instead of one

No idea. I'm fast with numpad, and the second enter key is useful.

That's the opposite tho
Only teenagers and angsty coders want to impress with huge keyboards they don't use more than 70% of keys

Nobody cares about impressing someone with a fucking keyboard. This is so damn stupid.

My issue with that keyboard is that the arrow keys are unnaturally huge while the right shift key is so tiny.

The zoomer gaming rig.

>8 ft wide desk
>giant mouse mat
>super ultrawide monitor
>mitx computer "to save space" or prominently placed rgb computer with tempered glass window
>rgb 60% keyboard "to save space"
>gaming headset
>streamer microphone on a huge boom mount

literal applefag

>gaming headset
Are there even any non-gaming headsets that aren't dogshit quality chinkshit or priced into four digits because they're actually intended for light aircraft?

Have you heard about space?

I think whats more aggravating is they’re just emulating “pros” who need the small keyboards for LAN events where desk space is often limited. They fool themselves into thinking it’s whats going to make them just like their idol.

desu I only use the left ctrl/alt/maj

spacesarentnecessaryonlyanilliteratepersoncanttellwherewordsbeginorendwithoutthem

Basically what said
>HHKB Professional 2
A Topre 60% keyboard. Also a massive meme, and quite expensive (~$200 new)
>BKE domes
Replacement rubber domes for Topre switches. More tactile than stock and they come in various weights, including ultralight (~45g) and light (~55g), with heavier weights being more tactile
>Silencing rings
Little rubber washers that go on the switch sliders to reduce upstroke noise
>PBT hipro blanks
High profile keycaps with no legends made from PBT plastic
>Hasu controller
A replacement daughter board for the HHKB and Leopold FC660C (another Topre board) which adds functionality like full programmability and Bluetooth capability

Attached: 1552737195056.jpg (1205x721, 278K)

>What kind of things on a desk
>Doesn't immediately think books

My /lit/ brother

yes its called a modmic or similar

Style over substance.

There is nothing wrong with a TKL board imo, the numpad only exists because of its familiar format.

>wireless model is 120 dollarydoos and apparently not being sold anymore?
Yeah, RIP.

a monitor

Here's the thing you won't hear from the zoomers in this thread. The travel distance from mouse to keyboard when switching off from one another.

If you have a long full keyboard and don't use the right half of it very often, you are needlessly adding more repetitive movement all day everyday, cutting down on this is a good way to reduce the types of repetitive strains that people sometimes get from spending all day at their desk.

You can say just use tiling wms and vim!! But not everyone can work in an environment like that, and even on Ganoo+Linux there will be times people need to switch to their mouse.

>IJKL for arrow keys
>not HJKL

Attached: file.png (528x1021, 209K)

It's been mentioned in this thread, you'd know if you could read.

What's the point in the other 40% of keys?

>whilst taking up less space
The space you "save" is negligible. If space is a concern for you, you have bigger problems than the size of your keyboard.

I am a trader and this is basically what my setup looks like.

Attached: gettyimages-120822895.jpg (840x485, 56K)

I carry mine in a laptop bag, which coincidentally is suited for a 10keyless keyboard.

My giant phallus rests beside my mouse and keyboard so i need the extra Micro-meter of available space.

Attached: catto on tha cumputa.gif (234x234, 606K)

ur mum