Linux vs Windows

What are the current issues/reasons not to switch to solely to Linux yet? I know gaming used to be the big thing, but is there any real compatibility issues?

What about certain windows programs that don't have official Linux support yet?

What were your biggest challenges/issues when switching over?

What do you miss most about windows, if anything?

What exactly do you use your computer for? (Gaming, browsing, etc)

Do you dual boot? If so, why?

Attached: linux-penguin-security-100694867-large.jpg (700x467, 89K)

I like playing video games with my friends and alone, I have more than enough cash to afford getting a TB of space for my PC, and I'm not too much of a brainlet to dual-boot it with a linux distribution of my choice so I can fuck around in it and maybe learn a thing or two sometimes.

Linux is shit

>Do you dual boot? If so, why?
I like muh privacy and I like muh gayumz.
Thanks for your opinion, Raj.

Your welcome faggot

why do you think linux sucks user

>reddit spacing
But I'll answer your question. The main problems for most people are lack of Adobe and other professional software, and the differences in how you install software. Once you get past the software installation and figure out alternatives for all of your day to day software (libreoffice instead of microsoft office, gimp instead of photoshop, etc) then it's really not a lot different in terms of day to day use, except a lot more customizable and far less intrusive with ads, spyware, and updates. You can change things in the system without having to go into the registry (wtf microsoft) and add and remove packages to your liking. You have a lot more choice.
I use my system for gaming, music writing, and day to day tasks (web browsing, document writing, etc). I'd say about 8/10 games work nowadays, with the only issues being games with extensive DRM or anti-cheat software. All the games I want to play work, but I'm not swapping from game to game all the time, I tend to stick to one for a while. For me it's worth missing out on a few games in order to have a better system overall.
Dual boot is an option but I don't do it. If I HAVE to use windows then I'll use a VM. I hate windows and don't miss anything about it except the ease of installing software directly from the internet and running it.
Sometimes on linux things just won't work. There's usually a fix but it's either not always obvious or not well documented and hard to find online. I've occasionally had to forgo using software simply because something about it doesn't work, though I still prefer it to microsoft despite this.
If you have to use a certain program for business reasons and you don't have the option of having a day or so downtime while you learn the new program then although you can probably use wine, you're probably best sticking with windows. Otherwise it's certainly worth looking into linux since it's basically the only OS that doesn't suck in [current year]

Linux does not has Microsoft Excel which is used for everything in the corporate world where money is actually made. That is reason to avoid Linux.
>inb4 use LibreOffice Calc. Calc is a joke compared to Excel.

>I like playing video games with my friends
Kys normalfags
No one here has friends

>Calc is a joke compared to Excel.
Can you explain why

Linux is only a kernel. You need an operating system in order to use it.

yeah they do. Just because you probably don't doesn't mean that others don't either. My friends and I have been hanging out since highschool and we all were raised to know the importance of friendship. Im too autistic to get a GF though.

>I know gaming used to be the big thing, but is there any real compatibility issues?
Gaming is still not perfect on Linux. It is far, far better than it used to be, and is making incredibly rapid and impressive progress, but there are still a number of games that have issues (namely, games with DRM or anti-cheat software). Valve is reportedly working to resolve this, but as of right now there are a number of popular games that simply are not playable.

>What about certain windows programs that don't have official Linux support yet?
A number of "industry standard" programs such as Photoshop, MS Office, and CAD programs are not available on Linux. If you do not have a specific need for these, the alternatives available on Linux are perfectly suitable, or in some instances arguably better.

>What were your biggest challenges/issues when switching over?
You obviously have to learn a new system that does certain things differently. A lot of people switching over from Windows struggle a lot with the concept of downloading software via a package manager, rather than random binaries from the internet, for example.

>What do you miss most about windows, if anything?
Not much, to be honest. The one thing Windows has going for it is software compatibility, that's pretty much it. So, it is nice that you can reasonably expect most things to work on Windows without any tweaking.

>What exactly do you use your computer for? (Gaming, browsing, etc)
Pretty much everything you listed, along with programming and most other basic things you'd use a computer for.

Yes, for games or other software that doesn't work in Linux. I would just use a VM, but my display isn't well suited for it. On that note, if you have the right hardware, you can run all of your Windows-specific shit (including games) through a VM with near-max performance.

you're small time

>What about certain windows programs that don't have official Linux support yet?
The few programs I hear about are Excel, gaymes, video editor of the day, Photoshop amd AutoCAD.
I work on it, most importantly. There are still enough games, but I prefer Mame for it.
I tried dual booting to try Gentoo out once, it was good but not on desktop for me.

>No Power Query in Calc
>No Power Pivot in Calc
>No Data Model in Calc
>Pivot tables are much more limited in Calc
>VBA development is much more clumsy in Calc due to shitty IDE
>Calc does not have dynamic arrays (Excel just recently introduced this)
>etc
It's like comparing Photoshop to Gimp. On the surface they look similar but when you delve into the details Gimp is way behind Photoshop especially due to the lack of adjustment layers. Gimp also only recently became able to handle higher bit-depth images whereas Photoshop could do that many years ago.

Perfect explanation, user.
May I ask what distro(s) you use/recommend for someone making the big switch? Ubuntu and Mint seem to be the smoothest transition/compatibility-wise but also seem a bit over-recommended when there's so many to choose from

Main reason to use Linux for me is to get comfortable with the command line and various server tools. Since most servers run on Linux, if you know how to use it then you can do whatever the fuck you want when it comes to app building.

gentoo

People say ubuntu all the time for a reason, though if you find it a bloatfest like I did when I first switched try fedora. It's basically stock gnome which is the same desktop enviroment as ubuntu with less shit. Version 19.04 of ubuntu comes out later this month and version 30 of fedora comes out early next month so if you do want to switch you're probably best waiting until then and just messing about in a VM for now. Mint is usually recommended since it's desktop environment is similar to windows 7/XP but if you are already used to how workspaces work in windows 10 or have any experience with macos then the gnome desktop enviroment will feel fine.

>I know gaming used to be the big thing, but is there any real compatibility issues?
Yes not long ago I downloaded 4 cracked windows games and couldn't get any of them to run on linux, either in wine or in VM but they worked fine natively in windows.
Also, games, where they do run in linux, if they're not a decade old they probably run like shit or have random bugs not present on windows. Even some steam games supposedly supported on linux have these issues.

Then, as other people mentioned, the linux alternatives to certain software are poor imitations of their windows/macos counterparts like photoshop, office.

Lastly there are some minor issues with desktop systems as a whole; occasionally X server will monopolize the CPU and you have to kill it from another tty because nothing is responding, so all your open windows are forced to close and you lose any unsaved data. Or pulseaudio will fuck up and you won't be able to play sound until you login again. If a program is thrashing your disk, other programs will literally stop doing anything because everything is a file and they're waiting on file i/o. Browsers seem to hog resources to an insane degree.

I think gaming on on linux is good enough, where it still lacks is in the multimedia edition department.

Screen tearing.

What the fuck distro were you running?

>were
are*
>what distro
Mint, but I switch to debian repos after I found out that the mint maintainer is a retard.

Oh also, if you have a 4k monitor and want to use a significantly smaller monitor side by side, have fun with one of them displaying things hilariously large/small relative to the other one, because most WMs don't support per-screen DPI settings.

>What are the current issues/reasons not to switch to solely to Linux yet?
My current issues is that it's cheaper and less time consuming for me to build another PC to run Windows-only software.

I regularly use three computers at home. My laptop, my home server, my desktop PC. Laptop and home server are running only Debian with no dualboots. Desktop PC is dualbooting Windows 10 and currently Manjaro but I've been changing it a lot lately. The reason for this is because I do everything else with my laptop but I play gaymes with my desktop and I still need Windows for it. I've been distrohopping and trying to find a good distro to set me free from Windows. After I stop needing Windows I won't miss it at all.

I switched over to Linux 6 months ago and I really enjoy it. My only problem is that I can't for the life of me get my laptop to consistently wake up from suspension without the keyboard and trackpad locking up, or it just not waking up in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's really annoying having to power cycle the computer half the time I go to use it.

Currently studying CS full time, I run linux on all my computers and it just werks no issues.
I don't game often enough to give a shit about windoze and when I do play gaymes it's either native or werks with proton anyways.

There are compatibility issues with some titles or glitchy behavior. Though it's a lot less than ever before, that's for sure. Proton fixed quite a bit. Problem comes with peripherals and gimmicks, freesync and such.

I've always had issues trying to make Illustrator work. Everyone's so focused on Photoshop it hurts.

My biggest challenge is to get most of what I use working quickly. I always have to find workarounds for shit or just forget about it which is not pleasant. If I want to run KDE smoothly on my machine I have to enable triple buffering, enable tearfree, edit some grub startup options, add 2 settings to kwinrc.... it's an amazing mess to try to get that running the same as Windows, without stuttering or tearing.

I miss how easy and simple is to do shit, to be honest. Most of what I want requires fiddling on linux while on Windows it's there by default or doesn't take much. I plug in a device and it will work as long as it's not too old. I can use shit like the radeon overlay. Stuff like that.

I use my computer for gaming and browsing mostly.

I dual boot at the moment but I have thought of switching to linux full time as long as I finally find a setup I like. It's 90% there to be honest, but I still find things like setting up font rendering quite confusing because I'll have some shit look good, then firefox look like ass. I don't know if it's my choice of distros.

Also what bothers me is distros and DEs. There's too fucking many, there's this feeling of sitting on the wrong distro or the wrong version, by default it takes me an hour to fix something on one distro and then I pick another with the same DE and it works flawlessly without much understanding on how and why. I try Manjaro MATE and it's a buggy mess, half the shit I try to install along with a compositor fails to install required libraries and I have to do that manually, I try Ubuntu MATE and it all works from the get go. Shit like that.

Use WPS Office dumbass. Obviously you have not researched alternatives.

Idk it could be the fact you're using 2 different distros with different configurations, different package management and different repos.

>Linux
i stop gaming 3 years ago and get it ballsdeep..
edit your os and code is much more fun than shitty games
And this industry has not really been renewed since 2008

WPS Office is proprietary Chinese software. No thank you.

>What are the current issues/reasons not to switch to solely to Linux yet? I know gaming used to be the big thing, but is there any real compatibility issues?
1. I need Premiere or Vegas. I don't like Resolve.
2. Music Production. Yea, Bitwig exists but I can't use my VSTs like Omnisphere. It "works" in Wine but it's horribly slow, actually unusable.
Premiere OR Vegas and VSTs
None, really.
Nothing.
Software Development and Music/Video production.
Yes, for Premiere and Music Production.

Or perhaps just keep a Windows VM for such needs?

My Windows 10 has just blue screened on me out of the blue AGAIN and I'm tired of it. Is there a way to dual boot linux without losing things on my pc memory? As you might have understood from my wording, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I might fuck it up. I also do not have an external HD to backup everything.

Attached: 1554730834818.jpg (576x864, 304K)

>work is more fun than games
How's the weather in Berlin, Hans?

Attached: arbeit macht frei.png (600x521, 227K)

Despite being too big, Christ.. her skin is beautiful.

i use my computer for work, and most things work all right. windows programs work pretty well on wine, altium works perfectly, but some don't, like multisim. gmod and most steam games work too. i do have a windows hdd somewhere but i barely use it.

What about my question though?

Attached: 1554845114349.jpg (270x270, 8K)

Yes you can. Knoppix Live is great for troubleshooting.

Copy/pasting commands from the internet without knowing what exactly they did.
Moving all of my files from NTFS to EXT4.
Photoshop, but I can get by with GIMP and occasionally Krita
Mostly gaming and browsing.
No, I've done so in the past but rebooting just to play games I can run with proton nowadays always seemed like a hassle.

Why can't they make more games compatible with a stable linux?
>inb4 linux is not stable

What do you need in Excel that you couldn't do with Python or R?

Serious question.

Excel works on linux, at least the pirated version I could find. Just unzip the iso and run it through the playonlinux wizard.
I don't know what a paid version looks like, but I am sure you can get it to work if you put in some effort.

He probably would need to send it to his boss, not just calculate something.
I can personally get by with R, but I get why it isn't ideal when the rest of the company works in excel.

>What are the current issues/reasons not to switch to solely to Linux yet? I know gaming used to be the big thing, but is there any real compatibility issues?
I only play 2hu, all the 2hu games run perfectly on Wine.
Wine. I have a Windows VM, just in case.
I had no big problems, desu. The transition was pretty smooth.
My front audio jack worked on Wangblows. I can still use the rear one, so that's not a big issue.
Mainly for browsing the internet.
If a VM counts, then yes.

Its shit as a desktop.

I duel boot Win10 LTSB and Arch. If there was TOTAL COMPATABILITY for windows programs I would switch. I like to game and browse. I dont nessisarly miss tho.

>If a VM counts, then yes.
I wouldn't say it does -- dual boot (or multi boot) refers to having multiple operating systems in your bare metal bootloader.

>Linux

I’d just like to interject for a moment.

What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Literally dependancy of MESA for GPU drivers and shitty upscaling on the 4k+ side of things.

Attached: 1542421126486.png (382x362, 107K)

Games are almost fully compatible on Linux, apparently Adobe CC doesnt work on Linux though so that's currently a hot problem

I'm personally going over to linux after windows 7. I don't want 10. The minor issue of stuff like some games not working (which is becoming less and less of a problem but yes I do game some) I'd rather deal with than to deal with what the hell Microsoft has done to windows, and I don't see it ever going back and probably getting worse and worse with the ads and subscription bullshit. The gate was already opened.

costs
let's look at the demographic of any GNU/Linux user
>pc is not powerful enough for Windows, let alone run any new video game
>freetard user will never install some game launcher, drm, etc
>someone is too poor to pay for video games
>north korea
now, let's look at potential problems with budget
>atleast 50% more for porting
devs are best off just porting to Android instead if the game allows it

notOP , personally I fit none of these categories and still use it

What do you need in python or R that you couldn't do in C?

>Games are almost fully compatible on Linux
I wish people would stop repeating this lie :(

Many games run natively on Linux.........

>What are the current issues/reasons not to switch to solely to Linux yet?
Yet? You cult fags never stop shilling.