Why do people who actually do serious computing always use macs?

Why do people who actually do serious computing always use macs?

And no I'm not just talking about the girl the other 3 are using macbooks.

Attached: 1555048099453.png (550x415, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/achael/eht-imaging/commits/master/models
i.imgur.com/wfbbW2a.jpg
twitter.com/sparse_k/status/1116785802367918080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 1543345836404.jpg (2048x1536, 789K)

>always use macs

Only in burgerland.

Stop posting this blackhole shit. Are you not bored?

has bash
has decent hardware
runs productivity software (ms office, adobe, etc)

>"i'll show them how much i hate apple by buying a MacBook Pro™ and using TextEdit.app in RTF mode to type a funny message."

it just werks and has nice aesthetic and also the status symbol part doesn't hurt, also apple catered to weirdo bohemian artist and designer types from the get go when microsoft was busy with governments and monoliths so it's always been that way, always a hipster thing before hipsters were even a thing.

Attached: susan-kare-macintosh-feat-1-620x350.jpg (620x350, 52K)

OP may be right in burger land, but in vodka and sausage countries few people use Apple computers.
It's mostly people who really want the displays they include. It's easier for them to spend extra than look for good hardware to build a custom PC themselves.

I can still program better than a macfaggot with my thiccpad running Arch. I don't need to spend more 2000$ for a fucking toy which does the same work my 30$ thinkpad can do. I would rather buy a gun with that money and kill a few niggers.

>decent hardware
Haha... no.
Not only it is overprised but is shit hardware. Overheating i9s, porly enginered motherboards and connectors that is giving luis rosman colon cancer...

because they're silicon valley drones

macfaggots: create and write algorithms to visualize black holes
(you): bbut my chinkpad is more efficient than this!
sure user

>buying
>implying a pajeet could afford it and isn‘t just taking photos in apple store

How to connect to a secure network
>Windows
>Select the network
>Enter username and password when prompted, os handles the certificate with no more hassle
>Fagos
>Pic related

Attached: IMG_20190412_104417.jpg (3120x4160, 3.55M)

usually, "serious computing" is done on a remote supercomputer, even your PC running your custom loonix distro on glowing rainbow GPUs would take a month to do it. you only need something to send the data.

1) The serious computing is done on a remote cluster. It does not matter what kind of terminal you use to access it.

2) The main issue with apple products is the atrocious price/value ratio. But this is not something you care about if your stuff is paid for by your research grant.

it looks good.
it's not windows. so their data would not get stolen.

Attached: A Shitload Of Data.jpg (823x1207, 180K)

because people who do serious computing and your average normalfag are equally retarded

İf you are just gonna ssh into a server and use a text editor than there is no problem with using one. Hell you can even use a smartphone from 2012 and attach a keyboard to it.

Professionals can't afford to have forced updates fuck up their shit.

Less viruses

>900,000 lines of code
>writes like 40 authors on the paper

I asked my advisor about this. Basically, at least at my university, they are given a list of laptops which they can choose from and they'll give you that. This is mostly thinkpads and apple laptops. The thinkpads all come with windows, and you are not allowed to install a different OS on it, so if you want unix on your laptop, you'll have to get a mac. You can of course get stationary workstations with RHEL on them, but hardly anyone has them, at least at my institute.

She was post doc and probably leading the project. It’s not unheard of. Most of the undergrads and grads work under the post docs helping them.
If I’m a post doc I’m not going to do basic stuff when you can make someone else do it.

The 2000's has called, they want you back.

I fucking wish I could go back

> productivity software
> ms office, adobe, etc

ms office is bloated shit for people too dumb for latex and databases, adobe products are for creative work not science wtf

it dosent matter what kind machine your use when you are work in a corporation that manages a project in billions

>all in one system with decent specs
>compatible with most unix utilities
>runs python, rust and golang

I honestly am jealous of people who can allow their privacy and security to be raped for a truly comfy experience.

>Fragile
>Unreliable hardware
>Inflexible UI & file directory
>>Programming on one is like trying to wipe your ass with pants on.

>os handles the certificate with no more hassle
This network is using a custom CA cert for webpages returned by their proxy dipshit. It's a browser problem, not an OS problem. I dare you to actually post the bottom half of that sheet because I guarantee you that WangBlows users will get the same instructions.

t. spiral os user who knows how to use a browser

700k+ lines of that code are just data. Check the commits in the models folder.

github.com/achael/eht-imaging/commits/master/models

>serious computing

Attached: 1542632838207.png (630x686, 101K)

Bottom half is outdated for w7 and w8
in w10 you just connect to the network, enter the details when prompted and it's a go

Only macs I use is emacs

Attached: 1552361873819.png (546x546, 260K)

>A 200 dollars dell xps works better than the fagbook
>Unironically believing mac produced that image rather than the fact that all the scientists were meme gullible faggots who shoved mac meme down their asses and used a high priced shit
>Not believing anyone with a thiccpad can program and contribute code
What are you, retarded??

I think it's pretty impressive she did all that by herself

I used a windows laptop and it was slow. I used a Mac laptop and it was fast. Not sure how you can get anything done on windows.

Attached: jewnar lander crash.jpg (749x750, 98K)

All of this plus theres an actual vendor/company to file complaints against if software or hardware problems arise, there are more routine security updates/patches, and there are also official support teams to file tickets with. While Linux distros are often better for the programmer, Mac and Mac OS usage allow for better audit trails and fingerpointing when things go wrong, all of which is very valuable to management.

>Unix environment
>best touchpad
>best display
>easy to use OS
Also anybody who is serious and needs a lot of performance will just ssh into a server and that can be done from even a chrome book.

Attached: 7C5B8530-9B02-4523-9426-98471441EB96.png (366x245, 103K)

When are these easily trigger able right wing incels gonna stop crying about this girl?

She led the team, she has a PhD, she takes the credit. This is how it goes in academia, and scientific work. It’s not the conspiratory leftist pandering you want in your heart to be so true. Everyone else but here was just a code monkey

Yikes

Attached: 46C95AA7-7EE7-4BF2-BC95-E140E916C6B4.png (500x570, 136K)

>eduroam
it's actually as easy as clicking on the SSID and logging in with your eligible institution's Net-ID and password.

Name one other scientific breakthrough in the last century where the story was about the lead scientist rather than the actual achievement. And anyway, is this really that awesome? What does it accomplish, and why is it 1000x greater than the other thousand things accomplished in the last 20 years that nobody heard about?

Oh yeah, cute girl does math. Imagine watching Apollo 11 if today's clowns were in charge. The only name you'd know would be pic related and that semi-black woman who was "hidden".

Attached: margaret_hamilton_code.gif (566x719, 280K)

>serious computing
>fucked up keyboard
Ok

Because it's fucking BSD with great battery life.
The only thing you can really bitch about is the desktop, but even nowadays you can get rid of it altogether.
Prices have gone shitways in the last few years.

>womentakingpictures.png

This is only in like, super professional work environments, because Apple gives discounts to researchers and students on macs. It’s cheaper, but really on par with any laptop these days.

>man I just implemented a function to amt
>I'm gonna take a few days to chill on the UI
Spotted the one who doesn't code

everything she did was so important and ground breaking that the picture they released didn't use her epic algorithm

Not for Mac, iPhone and iPad
On Android you just select the security protocols from drop-down menús within the enter password screen, and on w10 you just, as you said, enter your user and password
However Mac iPhone and iPad require the convoluted process seen in the pic

>implying there's a fucking difference if you write on a mac or GNU/Linux or windows
only person using the tool what matters
nor mac or thinkpad will make you magically good programmer

lots of seething redditors in here today
must be trying to justify their macbooks

because it's the easiest way to ssh into the linux box that actually does all the job

They have a nice user experience and to people who make "good money", dropping a few extra hundreds or even thousands for a laptop they'll use for 2-4 years isn't that big of a deal.

She's such a leader that she isn't even fucking mentioned on the EHT website...

All the reddit keks were asking why she was not speaking at the press conference, she's literally scientist number 329 on that project.

You know, companies sometimes buy in bulk for most of their employees. Sometimes they need to be on the same OS because not everyone that works there knows how to work with different OSs. So they either buy Thinkpads or Macbooks and give them to their employees to be on the same kind of "network"

Attached: jvu2oof1yjuy.jpg (600x400, 32K)

Spot on

As a way to justify overspending taxpayer money.

I've worked for companies that take federal funds before and that's what they'll do to cash in some extra bucks and keep the fancy stuff for themselves.

> Oi we need to justify our 100k budget for "developing tools"
> Just write down macbooks, a fancy 3d printer, an espresso machine and other shiet.

> implying applel ever does anything about faulty hardware

>meanwhile at NASA
i.imgur.com/wfbbW2a.jpg

>NASA sent machines made by IBM
>you bought a chink toy

Attached: 597123.jpg (636x854, 78K)

You've never connected a non domain joined Windows machine to a network using 802.1x have you? It's just as bad if not worse. It's why I have to keep my guest network on psk.

When the fuck did this board turn into r9k?

t. Never used a Mac because all those are wrong

>manufactured in the same Foxconn plant as your chinkpad

Isn't it just mostly beneficial to programmers and content creators?

It's all about finding the sweet spot. An i5 processor with min 8gb ram and a1080p screen on Windows nowadays ensures a buttery smooth laptop.

The government can spend money on whatever it wants. This time some fat, overemployed waste of resources checked the Apple box.

I understand that we often dont know what great breahthough might do for humanity
but seriously, what do you think this shitty picture will do?

>what do you think this shitty picture will do?

astronomers, physicists, and paleontologists all do this. They manage to convince a journalist who has nearly zero scientific background that their latest achievement is world-changing, and since nobody else gives a damn because nothing these people have done in the last 50 years has actually mattered, the story is published unchallenged.

Pure truth. Only in burgerland aka trumprica, retardica, murika

>America is retarded
>Eurabia still can't compete
Sad!

Trips of truth
Keep burger tax dollars going to nasa

she wasn't leading the project you faggot. She (((led))) the development of an algorithm that was used in the project. And surprise surprise, even at that time, she claimed the works of her colleagues.

God damn you incels are sure butthurt.

I think you forgot a letter here OP. People who do serious computing use Emacs, not macs.

Fucking hell, even the imbeciles at reddit seem to have more brains than some tards here.

Attached: fick.png (1693x597, 97K)

(((Black holes))) don't exist, retard

No they dont

Attached: Screenshot_20190412-234743~2.png (1440x1429, 884K)

just werks, accomplishes what they need it for, and price is not an obstacle these arent hobbyists trying to rice their desktop or build a pretty rog/set OC records. they probably sont even follow the latest hardware news/releases. Same reason a lot of people who work in formula 1 drive normie cars as their street vehicles, it gets them from A to B.

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: 1555097704311.png (1440x1429, 1.06M)

>>decent hardware
>Haha... no.
>*tip* MLADY

He's literally using Udindu. Deal with it iPajeet.

Attached: 1525617620515.gif (514x900, 140K)

unix out of the box. if you have money to burn it works just as fine as a thinkpad with ubuntu.

Because they want to be productive and don't want to waste time with ricing and finding drivers that work.

>interview with dude who saw a picture of a circle
really scraping the bottom of the barrel here

>"haha this guys who is doing REAL work doesn't use a mac. Cryu more mactoddlers"
>he actually uses a mac
>"a-actually he was not doing any r-real work"

Those are not their actual work computers, those are just the presentation/carry around toys.

>an adult joins the discussion

>She led the team
No, she didn't.

Japanese guy who is the co-leader of the American team is blaming MIT's twitter account for creating these misleading articles on Katie since MIT did not bother fact checking before tweeting

twitter.com/sparse_k/status/1116785802367918080

>A-1) Many articles implied that her algorithm from 2015 was specifically used to get the first reconstruction of a black hole when many of us generated the first images simultaneously with many different techniques; this was probably from misleading tweets by @MIT_CSAIL on 4/10
1 reply 1 retweet 4 likes
Kazu Akiyama
@sparse_k
2h2 hours ago

>(A-2) She is not at fault for these tweets; she was not involved in these tweets and she has nothing to do with them. I believe no one in the imaging group (even me at MIT) got contacted by them for fact checks.
1 reply 1 retweet 5 likes

Attached: 2019-04-12-162847_751x754_scrot.png (751x754, 699K)

LITERALLY because of Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10
Windows 7 was stable, perfect. Perfect for work.

Microsoft got bored and so decided to fuck Windows up into an unreliable, unstable, unintuitive mess.

Posted from my iphone

why do people associate different brands with knowledge?
These two things are not correlated with another

triple deuces so you must be leet