Anyone else waiting for Librem 5?
>Hardware killswitches for microphone, cameras and other sensors
>GNU/Linux operating system
>Replaceable battery
>3.5 audio jack
>No muh-no-bezzels design
>Lifetime updates
>Encrypted calls

>inb4 $649 is too much for a device that doesn't track you and will last for more than 3 years

Attached: gnome-purism-librem-5.jpg (900x506, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html
invidio.us/watch?v=osojw-T_lGI
engadget.com/2019/03/21/facebook-user-passwords-plain-text/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why do you think you're important? You're just another spec of data in Googles/Amazons/Facebooks database, and you switching to some loonix device won't stop billions of others providing data. Buy a good phone and don't be a retard.

>iMX8M Quad CPU
I wonder why they went for a processor made for video processing/smart TVs. I like how it's not American, but I don't know about performance.

>Lifetime updates
more like 6 months of updates before they shut down the project

My credit card info is important to me. Also personal information may be used to blackmail you or steal your identity

Forgot about:
>10fps scrolling
>2007 tier camera
>No AC Wi-Fi
>Shit audio output that makes the jack useless
>It will last more than 3 years since it is obsolete out of the box for 90% of common smartphone tasks

The device is a cool idea, but if you think you will be able to enjoy it for permanent, daily usage, you are just a contrarian hipster. I see it being used in some corporate projects where they could modify the OS to their very specific use case, but other than that, it's just a very nice toy.

You forgot about the raw autism of an infinite amount of trannies on typewriters. They will surely keep this open-source project alive.

Holy fuckin based

>an infinite amount of trannies on typewriters.
trannies > curry niggers

literally no one cares about you pal, the company isn't gonna use your credit card and its extremely unlikely a hacker hacks such a big company. Stop being paranoid, its embarrassing.

Company won't do it, but where is the guarantee that some emlloyee with access wouldn't want to earn something on the side? There've been the cases with Google employees doing it already

So, let me get this straight. You really think that using FSF approved devices to make payments will make big corporations unable to track your financial/personal data?

Have preordered - Really hope they can deliver.

Freedom aside, this conceptually is everything the smartphone should have been to begin with: OS independent hardware (you'll be able to install any GNU distribution on it) in the form factor of a handheld touchscreen thing.
No more crippled telephone OSs and no more forcing desktops/laptop OSs to behave like crippled telephones.

Hur dur buy corporate overlord phones that hate you

m8, It's a linux distro

Who cares, you dont need perfoemance for text messaging

>I wonder why
has something to do with separating/isolating the baseband from the main processing

wrong, wrong, unnecessary, and wrong. For christsakes, CPU’s have the computational power to draw gpu’s. If you assign a 3 input xor system to each pixel on the display, you still only need ~20-30million transistors. We crossed that mark a longtime ago. Of course, then your clock rate needs to be up t par, but I’ll assume it can make decisions and push current for the most basic scrolling operations at faster than 60fps. As for the camera - cameras have been good for a decade now. 90% of every “camera review” for new flagships are just comparisons of algorithms. And none of that really touches on the baseline most important part that affects the camera experience, which is the latency and bus clock to push data. Apple’s is much faster and higher prioritized in the processor pipeline, which is why the photo taking experience on iphones has always been so much nicer, even on older phones. I’m going to assume they have not made any improvements to latency via the scheduler, so the experience will likely be similar to an average android. The quality will probably be around iphone 6 tier, but that’s honestly pretty good. I still use a 6s and my ski trip photos look fantastic. So it wont be much worse. As for ac wifi, wifi in general is a meme. Channel duplication matters just as much as bandwidth density. N wifi can transmit up to 600-something gbps, did you know that? But people associate it with slow garbage, because they’re used to their 72-megabit single antenna stuff that’s probably actually like 25 because America, but they don’t know that, and now suddenly think what is 72 (actually 25) can’t do netflix they need ~200 (and go buy unnecessary routers) when in reality their problem was capitalism. For reference, I have 100/100, i use dual antenna (everyone’s phone has dual-N these days) multi-channel duplication for guaranteed max latencies, and all of my friends swear i have faster internet than our buddy with terabit fiber.

how fucking tech illiterate are you?
All that shit is hashed in the database, no employee can touch it without a seed

Nice counter-argument, hipster.

I'm seriously interested in it to replace my S5. It'd be nice to have a phone that in theory isn't a government surveillance device I pay an absurd amount of money for the privilege of owning and using.

How about
It can send text messages
It can open web pages
It can read emails
What other feature do I need?
Does it compare to having hardware that doesnt hate you?

Purism is a fucking meme. They're a joke to anyone within the Free Software community.
- If you truly care about Free Software and privacy --> don't have a smartphone (I have a dumbphone)
- If you have to have a phone and care about Free Software and privacy you are best with Replicant OS. You can pick up a Note II or SIII cheap and it's easy to install.
- If you cant put up with the limitations of Replicant OS (no wifi, no gps,...) you are better of using Lineage OS without Google.

I believe the low price of the pinephone will allow more adoption and future iterations, Im saving my money for it

Furthermore, DAC’s have been good for about a decade too now. In fact, the amp purity is so good that in a few dacs on laptops you can hear the device turn on and off via the speakers. Anyone telling you that they need a special dac other than the one in their phone is bullshitting you. Forget blind hearing tests, I can prove it via circuit schematic breakdown. But anyways...

and yes, this devide is guaranteed to last a lot longer than 3 years. So long as it stays in the linux tree, plasma mobile and gnome mobile work on it, it should stay updated...for as long as those projects exist. Unlike windows or apple or android there is no API-carrier updating-firmware bullshit going on here. You put the latest kernel in, you choose your gui, and you go. Until the gui demands turn to VR, this should be capable of drawing all needed mobile apps. And the basic low level file system, or “smart os” stuff is easier thanyou think for processors, most of that is handled by ASIC’s on the board.

t. double major in cs & ee, considering quadruple major in ce & se as well.

so? a lot of distros have a shit ton of old or incompatible packages

>They're a joke to anyone within the Free Software community.
Why?

>I have a dumb phone
Worse than this device. the goal of online communications should be to have decentralized encrypted IP communications. dumb phones communicate over centralized monitored private networks. this device will help push for the former.
>best with replicant
how so? replicant is an attempt to “purify” android, but the project is flawed from the start because android is a piece of dogshit that should be abandoned, from a technical POV. A fucking decade later, and it’s still basically a reskin of the kernel. Sure, a few things added here or there, but what props it up is the freeness of it, the strength of the kernel, and the already existing community. Use a newer kernel though, and with a codebase unified with the desktop codebase (for more, faster, better guaranteed updates) and you get a better mobile experience.
>Use lineage
Unironically I think all android users should use lineage, but this should evolve to be lineage’s successor spiritually.

>There've been the cases with Google employees doing it already
Bullshit

The points you make are just like your background, theoretical.
Scrolling is not just display rendering, just like wi-fi is not just theoretical speed and an audio circuit is not just a DAC. All of those things should work like you say IN THEORY, but in real life, do you expect that:
1) the CPU/GPU will be able to render all of the shit that modern webpages include?
2) the camera/audio design team of such a small project to be able to match the resources necessary for proper implementation?
3) the already outdated hardware to keep up with modern web, audio and most importantly, video standards? Don't give me the "they don't matter" bullshit.

The only thing that gives me hope about this thing is the smart TV SoC that they use, with strong media capabilities. I don't they will be able to implement everything properly though without resorting to closed source IP.

Literally all of those things can be done with a 10yo Nokia dumbphone. Why do you even need a smartphone?

i would be if it ran some useful OS like Android without GApps, and maybe some advanced permission features like faking instead of blocking perms

To use web based texting services, no other reason really
Modern smartphones bloat poop

So you're shilling a 650$ device because your use case is the same as a 50 year old?

>i would be if it ran some useful OS like Android without GApps
You'll be able to install Android if you want. Will probably be Lineage OS available.

>and maybe some advanced permission features like faking instead of blocking perms
Xposed with XPrivacyLua. Been a while since I last checked but I think max it supports is Oreo. It's still receiving security updates so I don't see any reason to upgrade to Pie.

Yeah and then I'd win a lawsuit and get rich
The chance of that happening is practically 0.0000000001% anyways dude
Even if 1 in 10000 Google employees does it, what are the chances he'll pick my data to steal, out of literally billions of others?
Also encryption dude
I don't like corporations having my data, but I understand I'm just a tiny little ant to them, a tiny little spec of data, a tiny little pixel on a huge stadium screen. No one is going to scrutinize my individual data, they just plug it into algorithms along others'
If choosing between spreading my cheeks for corporations and having some peace of mind, I'll do that latter, but I'm not going to change my entire lifestyle for so little payoff

>It can send text messages
Yeah we had this feature 20 years ago and we stopped using it maybe 15 years ago. If my phone couldn't send SMS it might take me a long time to even notice. Only place I remember sending SMS to is a soda machine where you can pay with an SMS.

I use instant online messanging, im pretty sure thats what all the normies use it for

Well, you're wrong.

It can use almost any GNU/Linux distro.
Besides, Purism also uses PureOS as its desktop distro, so they have an incentive to update it.

Purism joined with (((PIA))). Purism is a CONFIRMED scam.

>I'd win a lawsuit
>against a $136 billion dollar a year company
lol no you won't
Tell me the dark secrets of PIA, user

What else is it used for?

I'm waiting for version 2.

The 10yo Nokia phone has proprietary software

3rd post best post

Have you heard of class action lawsuits you mongoloid?

YouTube, Netflix, social media (which relies greatly on decent cameras), streaming music, normies games like candy crush, mobile banking applications, calling an Uber. Do you live under a rock?

Instant messaging, with large scale exchange of photos (requires you to have a high quality camera or people will judge you on the quality of your photos before anything), on a bunch of different botnet platforms, which many agrue that you have a social obligation to use or face isolation as punishment.

They also use the phone as a navigation aid which you need because if you try to use a map people will get pissed and honk at you or even hit you for going too slow.

The phone also serves only source of music.

The phone must also scan barcodes, open .pdf files, send and receive email, take notes, record audio, and play video games.

and for a Jow Forums user, if it's not the best at these things, even if they despise doing things in this way, then it's shit.

I'm somewhat confident that the Librem 5 will be adequate, at least for its target audience. The CEO has said he founded the company for the purpose of making this happen, and the majority of tech companies would have plenty of reasons to hire shills to condemn it before it's even out.

>it's still not released
lmfao

Attached: 1530650063525.jpg (485x303, 23K)

>>- If you truly care about Free Software and privacy --> don't have a smartphone (I have a dumbphone)
Do you seriously think that dumbphones are safe?
>- If you have to have a phone and care about Free Software and privacy you are best with Replicant OS.
PureOS is just as free as Replicant. Neither of them have any blobs. Both of them are even FSF endorsed.
So the Librem 5 is better than a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Replicant, as far as the OS goes.
>- If you cant put up with the limitations of Replicant OS (no wifi, no gps,...)
You can use Wi-Fi with an OTG adapter.
>you are better of using Lineage OS without Google.
No you are not. Lineage OS still has propietary firmware/drivers in it. Besides, the Librem 5 has really good modem isolation, which most phones don't have. And it even has kill switches.
>YouTube
The Librem 5 will be able to use Invidious as a web app.
>Netflix
Uses propietary DRM, so don't even think about running it in a libre device. Besides, there's hundreds of piracy streaming services available, just use one.
>social media
Web apps.
>(which relies greatly on decent cameras)
No, they rely on keyboards. That's why they're "social". If a service existed that was only about the exchange of images, then it would be an image hosting site, not a social media platform.
Also, the Librem 5 is a phone, not a camera.
>streaming music,
Web apps, and that's what digital music players (don't call them MP3s) are for.
>normies games
Just buy a games console.
>mobile banking applications
Just go to the bank dude. Or its website.
>calling an Uber
Any regular old phone can call a taxi. Why wouldn't the Librem 5 be able to?

LineageOs with no gApps. You can install MicroG, a open-source gApps implementation if you need gcm, or leave it vanilla.

>open-source
Please stop saying that. It's free software.
gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html

or i could just get the pinephone

You're so autistic it hurts to read your posts. You'd rather get 3 individual devices which do a worse job and probably have worse support than a smartphone just to jerk off smugly at your self-important reflection of freeduhmz. You also refuse generic definitions just because they don't fit in your outdated vocabulary.

Honestly, just get that phone. You deserve your lonely fate. I hope you get ripped off by taxi drivers every time you leave your mother's basement.

Attached: image_2019-04-12_08-54.png (1440x2512, 205K)

Free software is often misinterpreted by non tech people. They think that freeware and free software are the same thing when they're clearly not, so I stopped using the term.

H-hur dur muh social medias!!
Lmaoing at your life

I don't think you're going to like Jow Forums very much, user.

>inb4 $649 is too much for a device that doesn't track you
You're buying a piece of hardware that needs a phone plan to be of any actual use. Your phone provider can track you by triangulating your position via cell towers. If they can do that, the government and law enforcement can track you.

Only third worlders use sms, they can't afford these phones

>that needs a phone plan to be of any actual use.
No. Who the fuck uses phone plans? Just buy some credit at a nearby kiosk.
>You're so autistic it hurts to read your posts.
I haven't been diagnosed as autistic.
>You'd rather get 3 individual devices which do a worse job
They do not. Their batteries last longer, they distract you less, and they don't track you.
>and probably have worse support than a smartphone
My camera uses SD cards for storage and snaps photos in the PNG format.
I play Ogg Vorbis music in my digital music player, and it uses microSD cards.
Everything supports that.
>just to jerk off smugly at your self-important reflection of freeduhmz
I don't jerk off smugly at it. In fact, I feel bad for you.
Please start respecting your freedoms.
>You also refuse generic definitions just because they don't fit in your outdated vocabulary
Because those definitions are wrong and serve as promotion for a propietary format.
>Honestly, just get that phone.
Ok, thanks.
>You deserve your lonely fate
I'm not lonely.
>I hope you get ripped off by taxi drivers
Rude. And they don't rip me off, it's better refulated than Uber.
>every time you leave your mother's basement.
My mother is dead and she did not even have a basement when she was alive.

It relies on a SIM card and proprietary baseband. Therefore, your service provider and government have total access to everything on your phone. Therefore, it is not any more private than any other phone. QED.

>Your phone provider can track you by triangulating your position via cell towers. If they can do that, the government and law enforcement can track you.
>Therefore, your service provider and government have total access to everything on your phone. Therefore, it is not any more private than any other phone
The baseband has a kill switch.

>$649
>worse specs than a $100 android phone
EL EM AY OH

Without phone service of some kind, you're only capable of making emergency calls. The provider of your phone service can track you by triangulating your position in relation to the cell towers you're using.

Cool, see above.

>your service provider and government have total access to everything on your phone
Incorrect. This phone has a separate CPU and baseband, for precisely that reason; to prevent unauthorized access to your data. Plus, it has a hardware kill switch that physically disconnects the power.

>Without phone service of some kind, you're only capable of making emergency calls
What do you mean by "phone service"?
I just buy SIM cards from niggers in the metro.
>he provider of your phone service can track you by triangulating your position in relation to the cell towers you're using.
When I want to make a call, I turn the modem on. When I don't, I turn it off.
Therefore I'm only tracked when I make calls.

You clearly don't understand the purpose of this phone.

It's like this phone is a bulletproof amphibious vehicle that takes 10 seconds to get to 60MPH and only gets 20MPG, and you're like "lol, a Prius is faster and more efficient, what a useless piece of shit!"

The people who want this kind of device don't care much about those specs, and if you do then you aren't the target audience.

I've been lurking here since 2007. I like the idea of free/open-source software and I support it whenever possible (7zip, freenas, ffmpeg, opus, mpv, etc), but i also understand its limitations in the modern world. It just triggers me sometimes that retards like the one above, for which the gubirnment, google and service providers already know which way they wipe their ass pretend like they're some digital freedom fighters, when in fact all they do is sound like they never had a real job. Just look at him go again . I bet he'd be completely okay with taking out his open sores phone out in public with 3 dongles attached to it because he discovered a binary blob in the wi-fi driver just to watch it crash while trying to make a phone call.

He asked what normies do with their phones. I have a legitimate list, which was autistically broken down with alternatives that no normie would ever touch. Don't blame me for having a social life. I don't like the state we are in right now, but it's already too late.

I'm buying it because of it being a Linux smartphone and not because "muh privacy" (but that's nice too). It being a full Linux distro means it has pretty much the most user freedom of any modern phone by design.

>GNOME
>Lagging interface
>Proprietary blobs
No, thank you.

>normal people: buy a car
>autists on Jow Forums: what? it can't drive on water, or withstand gunfire from high calibre rifles? what a useless piece of shit

Learned helplessness, slave mentality, sheeps to the slaughter.

Coward.

>- If you truly care about Free Software and privacy --> don't have a smartphone (I have a dumbphone)
What a fucking retard.

I supported the Kickstarter, so I'm hoping they improve the device past the awful prototype they demoed.

I fucking hate GNU's gatekeeping over these terms.

When normies hear "free software", they think free as in $0.

When normies hear " open source", they think the source is available to read and the project is PROBABLY free (unless there's a dual license model).

"Free as in freedom" is cool and all, but it's incredibly misleading.

cryptos.im

There are dozens of countries that sell SIMs without requiring ID.

I really want it to be good, but I don't want to spend that much money on a preorder that might not even work.
I have no idea how hardware killswitches impact the usecase of the phone.
What is the bootup time of the entire phone? What is the recovery time from one of those killswitches?
Can I turn on the camera and take a picture right away because anything else is useless.
Can I text a person who doesn't sign up whatever service it uses?
Can I call a person who doesn't sign up or installs something?
Can I plug the phone into a usb-c dock and use an external monitor and keyboard?
Does it use a ROM or can you fix problems without nuke and pave?
Can I run gentoo on it and how much more stable would running gentoo be than android (android being the worst case scenario for an OS I can think of)
How much money do I have to invest into a phone to get one just like it, but it also have an alarm clock that can turn the phone on and play a song as well as wake up and play a song from a turned on state?

seck ice burn breh

I use 3 smartphones and none of them have a SIM card or a phone plan. Why the fuck are you still living in 2005?

You're just a spec of dust on this planet, your opinion doesn't matter.

Honestly i just want EOMA to work so i can make my own

>Hardware killswitches for microphone, cameras and other sensors
*records you using gyroscope data*
nothin personnell kid

What did you mean by this
>What is the recovery time from one of those killswitches?
0 seconds
>Can I turn on the camera and take a picture right away because anything else is useless.
Yes.
>Can I text a person who doesn't sign up whatever service it uses?
>Can I call a person who doesn't sign up or installs something?
Yes and Yes.
>Can I plug the phone into a usb-c dock and use an external monitor and keyboard?
Yes.
>Does it use a ROM or can you fix problems without nuke and pave?
>Can I run gentoo on it and how much more stable would running gentoo be than android (android being the worst case scenario for an OS I can think of)
It doesn't run Android at all. It comes with PureOS, a fully libre FSF endorsed Debian fork.
And you can install your own distro too.
>but it also have an alarm clock that can turn the phone on and play a song as well as wake up and play a song from a turned on state?
Why would you want that?

I'm agreeing with you, I was just being a shit :^)

>0 seconds
Wait until the final product has been shipped before making those kinds of claims.

No cause it's dead on arrival already. Shit decisions all around especially for a "pRiVaCy FoCuSeD pHoNe". And 649$ for a fucking dev kit while the finished phone will cost 699$? Fuck off nigger.

Yeah, that's all well and good, it's just that it hasn't been released yet. But has been delayed three times so far.

Purism's laptops have almost no delay on their killswitches.
invidio.us/watch?v=osojw-T_lGI
Why would the Librem 5 be any different?

fpbp

>its extremely unlikely a hacker hacks such a big company
Image being this retarded.
engadget.com/2019/03/21/facebook-user-passwords-plain-text/

>hardware worse than the first iphone
>no apps

its going to turn out like firefox

I'll wait for the second model that has dual front facing speakers and none of the hardware kinks that this first one will inevitably have.

Thanks for beta testing, kickstarter cucks

Attached: image.jpg (654x639, 192K)

Someome post the webm of the librem having stutter issues on the home screen

>"pRiVaCy FoCuSeD pHoNe".
Back to Twitter.

That's literally more than 0 seconds, though.

false analogy since it's not the purpose of a car

>dual front facing speakers
Why tf?

I'll wait and see. I'm betting the launch will be rocky as fuck, but if it works out in the end, the upgraded later releases should be pretty cool.