Is p2p the future

So from a realistic point of view, centralization creates unsolvable problems related to trust, privacy and censorship. or is it?

can cryptography solve those problems while remaining scalable?

or do we need to shift to a different architecture for some important fields like file hosting or finance?

can a p2p architecture provide a superior performance for the same cost, when using cryptocurrencies to use idle cpu power that can be allocated and transmitted?

do we need more bandwidth on average for that to be realistic?

what programming language are well suited for such field?

can php apache mysql have a role in that?

discuss

Attached: p2p.jpg (449x225, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wlcg.web.cern.ch/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no because p2p systems are usually harder to engineer and doesn't yield greater profits. cheap and familiar > fickle and esoteric unless there's a compelling and broad (read: not muh NSAZ reading muh shitposts, most people dgaf) argument against the former.

p2p is for sure much more complex to play with, but that might be because we focused and refined client/server architecture because it made more sense at the time.

now we have a different world and different technologies.

>not muh NSAZ reading muh shitposts, most people dgaf
well, it seems to me that privacy is becoming an increasingly important subject...google being seen as "evil"? china becoming literal dystopia? governement that starts censoring and making laws to reduce freedom on the internet, both on us and eu? facebook having VERY bad press even among normies? computer illiteracy decreasing as old people keeps being replaced by the youth?
I can go on, point is centralization creates another kind of demand.

compelling and broad incentive? money. with a p2p architecture you can sell unused ressources on your computer (space, cpu if you happen to be in a situation where you have cheap or wasted energy, this happens in some particular places).

Nobody cares about privacy until it's too late. People still use Facebook. Enough said.

>p2p
This shit again
When you have cables connecting p2p then we'll talk

Otherwise there will always be a centralized element

has to come from a wireless technology. not sure if this exists yet.

Just read the GNUnet documentation, answers all your questions.

Cubans did it.

>Cubans did it.
Only because they have no other choice.

And they did it with piss poor technology. Maybe if OP wasn't such a lazy ass he would do it too. Pic related.

Attached: mesh10.png (1240x1754, 1.19M)

is gternet still alive?

I guess I'm a pessimist in a way, but I have a rather dark vision for the future.

It's all going to be automated. It's going to be a cat and mouse game with whatever organizations trying to police the content.
>news and headlines will be ciphered with thesauruses, the article pictures will be post-processed renders of the originals
>there will be separate pastebin type name / address resource resolvers that will be used as underground/temporal pseudo DNS for applications specialized in computing and generating links
>the app hosts will be single-click deployable packages with auto-provision capabilities on mainstream cloud services, the auxiliary services have such packages as well
>archiving of news articles, tweets and social media posts will be banned, but they'll be replaced by archive.org type services that'll instead of keeping copies provide signed hashes that'll verify the copies that'll fly around the internet, effectively replacing the need for news to be hosted on their respective sites

Attached: if-only-you-knew.png (1243x1147, 1.74M)

Selling resources would work but you would need a distributed platform that allowed you to share resources with other users and run dapps.

>inb4 blockchain

Meme tier garbage

Remember when normies used to use p2p daily with Limewire? Then they replaced it with youtube because of "muh storage" and so we entered in the centralized era
Fucking disgusting

Something like plan9 or one of its derivatives would help but I'm not sure how secure its protocols are.

My wishlist:
- atomic process migration from one cpu to another
- capability based security
- plan9-esque grids but more robust

P2P doesn't scale. NPCs uploading shitty vlogs recorded in 1080p at 1000 videos a second is why YouTube isn't turning a profit.

I believe it can scale when implemented correctly.

>distributed platform that allowed you to share resources with other users and run dapps

isn't that the ethereum thingy or whatever it's called?
blockchain from what I know is about censorship resistance (which means trust automation), which sounds rather important regardless of the architecture. unless it has been mathematically proven that you can guarantee immutability with some particular algorithms tied to a file system. I don't know about cryptography.

>implying young people aren't computer illiterate

>So from a realistic point of view, centralization creates unsolvable problems related to trust, privacy and censorship. or is it?
not really. you can still have end to end encryption on a centralized communication service. the problem are snitches and moderators
another issue you may not have considered is availability.
>can cryptography solve those problems while remaining scalable?
it already does, but nothing can solve a snitch
>or do we need to shift to a different architecture for some important fields like file hosting or finance?
maybe
>can a p2p architecture provide a superior performance for the same cost, when using cryptocurrencies to use idle cpu power that can be allocated and transmitted?
depends on how you measure it.
>do we need more bandwidth on average for that to be realistic?
not really. the biggest bottle neck is mobile battery power
>what programming language are well suited for such field?
doesn't matter, but two have obvious advantages. both begin with Java.
>can php apache mysql have a role in that?
only marginally
>discuss

I'm unsure what you want your lamp stack to accomplish here

How do you solve the data persistence problem? How do you prevent/mitigate data from disappearing?

like a god, when the last person stops believing in it, it dies.

With the amount of mobile devices and laptops, expect all news and informational vids to get memory-holed within days whereas makeup vlogs and vevo music videos stay up indefinitely.

Federated does scale, fuck off.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (900x1200, 106K)

Explain yourself. Keep in mind there is no cap for bandwidth and space requirements. It just keeps accumulating with no end in sight.

I've never seen as much music as in Napster era, you literally made shit up and they had it

No, you explain why every "uploader" can't be also hosting other videos and itself? Fuck off.

Attached: 1521414079607.jpg (1024x1024, 131K)

If no one downloaded it, no one wants it
Just make sure to always seed and you are being a plus to humanity

some autists are gonna hoard them, and barring that the producers /publishers are obviously gonna have an interest in hosting / polling / bumping / mining / shilling / financing their own shit as long as they can.

your argument doesn't really hold water under scrutiny desu because you're making the goalposts unreachable for any system if you think about it.

Over half of the youtube views come from mobile devices. Do I really need to explain to you the bandwidth, data plan, storage, connectivity and availability the problems that come along with that?

Moreover, this is the classic public hub/tracker problem: what's your incentive to waste bandwidth, your precious SSD writes and take the risk getting v&'d? It sounds like you live in some RMS dream world where people on the internet are nice.

Here's a serious question for you: were you an active consumer of the warez scene during the late 90's and early 00's? Because it sounds like you didn't, the problems and lacks of incentive I'm describing here literally happened during those days.

>more questions but no answers
Fuck off, seriously.

this
Everibody that has lived the era of Napster, Gnutella, limeware and every other shit knows sharing networks are solid as fuck, they were then with shitty as fuck connections and storage, imagine now

If your IQ is higher than room temperature, I provided multiple answers. Also thank you for outing yourself as a delusional zoomer.

>centralization creates unsolvable problems related to trust, privacy and censorship
It's harder to trust particular node rather than centralized server.
>can a p2p architecture provide a superior performance
No.
Never.
Peer to peer only introduces problems in security. See skype and every other platform which exposed your IP address so you could get removed from the internet freely.

Exactly. And by the time you could buy terabytes of storage for under four figures, the public Napster / KaZaA type solutions were out, and the private hubs and trackers were in.
>tl;dr the way P2P eventually scaled up was by quasi-centralization and enforcement of hefty "buy-ins", as in either you cough up some data / take serious risk, or GTFO
I wonder if DC++ hubs still exist.

>Over half of the youtube views come from mobile devices. Do I really need to explain to you the bandwidth, data plan, storage, connectivity and availability the problems that come along with that?

that's kind of a fallacy but suffice to say there's a mathematical solution to that problem

>Moreover, this is the classic public hub/tracker problem: what's your incentive to waste bandwidth, your precious SSD writes and take the risk getting v&'d?

>waste bandwidth

bandwidth is mostly irrelevant in full duplex systems, carriers usually sell by volume. and then a lot of people have unlimited plans.

>your precious SSD writes

nigga, calculate the price of storing and updating one gigabyte of data per hour on a 256 gb SSD with 100 gb free space assuming 1 billion writes per 512 byte block, and assuming the drive cost 30 bucks.

>and take the risk getting v&'d

1) encryption
2) distributed fragmentation

you don't get vanned for participating in the TOR network, so why should you get vanned for this. It's the same principle with a persistence protocol.

>1) encryption
>2) distributed fragmentation
Often considered as destruction of evidence unless you can prove it's not malicious.
>you don't get vanned for participating in the TOR network
You do get on the watchlist for participating in it.

>Often considered as destruction of evidence unless you can prove it's not malicious.
are you retarded

what criminal system are you talking about, north korean?

fuck

>You do get on the watchlist for participating in it.

you're on "the watchlist" if you've ever entered the US from an international airport.

>that's kind of a fallacy but suffice to say there's a mathematical solution to that problem
Math is magic now, doubling your bandwidth usage has no effect on battery life and mobile bandwidths are symmetrical now speed-wise :^)

>bandwidth is mostly irrelevant in full duplex systems
I don't even.

>nigga, calculate the price of storing and updating one gigabyte of data per hour on a 256 gb SSD with 100 gb free space assuming 1 billion writes per 512 byte block,
What part of mobile devices do you not understand?

>1) encryption
Right. So it's a P2P software running mostly on mobile devices that share files through Tor via mobile networks. You're clearly a fucking idiot. I'm done here.

>battery life
see here but the reason for the battery problem is probably not what you'd expect.

I don't want to explain everything to you from first principles when you'll just end up pushing the goalposts around and intentionally misrepresenting or willfully misunderstanding every stupid little detail.

sorry for your loss.

I like your little Bell Labs genius LARP, but it doesn't fly here. I point out concrete problems and you first call me a glowie and then repeat
>you're wrong
>it'll just werk :^) trust me
ad nauseam.

At this point, based on your posts, there is no reason to think you even finished high school.

>there is no reason to think you even finished high school.

haha ok

if you're really that interested in the topic and that passionate about it, are fluid in typescript or kotlin, and know how to find a path through an adjacency matrix, drop an email and I can reach out to you tomorrow.

I hate to say it but this user is right. People are just dumb.

>>archiving of news articles, tweets and social media posts will be banned, but they'll be replaced by archive.org type services that'll instead of keeping copies provide signed hashes that'll verify the copies that'll fly around the internet, effectively replacing the need for news to be hosted on their respective sites
So IPFS?

>So from a realistic point of view, centralization creates unsolvable problems related to trust, privacy and censorship. or is it?

Don't mean to insult you, but are you kidding me? CIA starts with higher authority's that have verified people, devices, and connections. NOT individual's in a random collective. It even gets dicey if its a collective that's not random!

Now if you could perform a central AAA in the middle of your p2p storm I think that would be a very good and very secure solution.

It sounds real hip and Sacramento/UCLA-like until the frequencies get jammed by some neckbeard from Jow Forums. Meanwhile the adults will be burning their eyes out on solarwinds waiting for everyone to inevitably come back to a good ole hard wired mesh with built in protocols to prevent broadcast storms and determine appropriate paths.

>IPFS
non-anonymous gloniger dark-op which actively stalls anonymity implementations .

It's quite baffling how people just actively contribute to their own invasion of privacy by enabling these services.

how could this be solved?
by getting the it adopted as the next gen web protocol?

the future of www is here

wlcg.web.cern.ch/

how is that the future of www