I'm thinking about buying an old PowerPC Mac

I'm thinking about buying an old PowerPC Mac.

Is anyone here still using one of these? What models would you recommend me, Jow Forums?

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x636, 66K)

Don't do it. There's almost no supported software and even the last builds of the common browsers don't run fine enough for dialy or simple use.

If you're gonna get an old Mac, get an x86 one.

If you want to buy it even after reading this, then get a G4. G5's sometimes cook themselves.

I think he wants something with a POWERPC CPU because of some crazy muh botnet/backdoor delusions about current x86-64 CPUs

PowerPC cpus are objectively superior. Enjoy your Intel ME/AMD PSP backdoored hardware.

thank you for this useless thread. at least this isnt the normal shitposting. do it or not. this is not your private army.

I appreciate you trying so hard to fit in, newfag, but you are failing.

If you want to avoid 'the botnet' then why not get the MacBook 2,1 and Libreboot it?
I don't see the point of having one vs a thinkpad, but if you get one cheap it'd make for a decent Free laptop. Libreboot + Trisquel / Debian / Parabola / Hyperbola.

They're slow as fucking piss. A mid class Pentium M processor wipes the floor with the top end G4 mobile CPU (1.67 GHz). I don't recommend it. Your only viable option for modern day software is Debian Sid.

What are you planning to use it for?

Attached: 1553898624778.jpg (468x468, 193K)

MD101LL/A MASTER RAAAAAAAACE

I have the M9846LL/A (iBook g4). Its nice for what it is, but it gets really hot and the only supported browser uses a shitty version of firefox so it runs even worse and eats up the very little RAM you can have (1.5GB). You can install an SSD but you'd need an SATA -> IDE adapter so even then your SSD will be bottlenecked.

Work wise, you can install and use Office 2008 and iLife suite with no issues and you can still visit some sites if they aren't made like shit.
Gaming wise, I was surprised as to how many games are supported on the PPC (most are cracked too). I suggest you install 10.4 Tiger so you can have access to Classic Mode and be able to use programs and games from Mac OS 9 and older.

Rumor has it, he's going to hack reddit with it.

2,1 blackbook: honorary thinkpad

Attached: crapple shatbook librebutt muh freedumbs.jpg (3024x4032, 1.36M)

Actually don't do this. The first x86 macs sucked balls and can't run jack fucking shit. There is actually more community support for PPC than x86. Also with a PPC you can run OS 9 and play some old school vidya.
I'd highly recommend the Macrumors PPC subforum as it has a ton of resources on how to get started.
Personally I would buy a 12' PowerBook G4 because of its design and portability (and relative power). As for a desktop variant, a G5 will do if you want a space heater, if not then get a later G4 Mac. Avoid certain G5 models. Again, check out the Macrumors subforum.

Dude, why. The PPC community is utterly fucking dead. have you been to the PPC board on macrumors lately? It's a joke.

I had a dual processor G5 power mac in the pre-Intel Mac days.
That thing used enough electricity to bankrupt a small African nation. It also generated enough heat to make a small office uncomfortably warm. There is no way I'd entertain using that generation of powerpc again.

Only for using vintage software/games. Not for anything that needs recent standard performance.

Just buy a new one, dont listen to Jow Forumstards and satania posters

thats one sexy lookng hardware

To be fair I haven't been there in a very long time. But I'd rather get a PPC to run software from 1998-2010 than to get a 1,1 Intel Mac with a Core Duo that can barely run linux without melting it self

If you want a ppc laptop, you should get an ibook g4. The only usable up-to-date browser is tenfourfox, and you'll probably want tigerbrew to get modern linux cli stuff. And you'll probably want tiger if you want os9 software. For everything else just get the old versions of modern software.

Why an iBook and not a Powerbook?

I don't use one but there are different linux builds of varying quality (newest isn't always the best because of bloat) that will work on it or you could stick with mac shit. You can download source for programs and compile most without issue if you use Linux, older versions of these are fine. Its old though so slow. Modern browsers and video codecs are really the only issue when using old computers like this partly because they lack the hardware decoding. Most older software works just fine, a text editor is a text editor. Really if you stick mainly with software around the same time, not electron or datamining encrusted garbage, basically you'll be fine.

iBooks were the consumer-grade cheap laptops that hold little value due to ppc being discontinued, i was able to find some for about as much as 30$, also they are much easier to come across. Powerbooks are more expensive and have little advantage over ibooks. I assume that you just want a cheap laptop to play around with, because there is not much you can do with them now. If that's the case, you should get an ibook.

Nice, thank you.

I recently tried to revive an iMac G4 800MHz with a BSD in it. Could not fucking install. Also could not fucking install any Linux distros, it all just hung up at some point. In the end I installed the last OS X that it supported by hacking some shit to make the installer think it was 866MHz. It obviously worked like shit, and that tenfourfox was slow as fuck. I managed to post here though.

It's good as an ornament but that's it. I imagine a G5 would probably still be fine however for baaaaaasic as fuck tasks (def not web browsing though).

The later end powerbooks with 1.5-1.6 ghz processor are pretty fun. Osx tiger is pretty miserable to use considering its limited software options. Installing a bsd would probably be a lot better.

For models, the ones I like are the last version of the Ti Book, the 1.5 ghz 12" model, and the hi res 15" and 17"

Also, morph os is an option

You're welcome. I did want to buy a ppc lappy too, but ended up getting a thinkpad. Those were the last good apple computers, but you at this point you're basically at a mercy of the ppc community, as there is no any kind of official support period.

I have an iBook G4 and it works pretty nicely. I'd say get one of the latest models of iBook / PowerBook you can if you do so you get somewhat acceptable performance, and look for one with ATI graphics.
Best thing to run on it is Debian powerpc sid from Debian Ports. Firefox works but is pretty slow and I don't think they've updated it to post-"Quantum" yet with all the Rust stuff. I find luakit, which uses an old vulnerable version of WebKitGTK before WebKit2, works the best for web browsing though isn't really ideal.
Another option is to run OS X Tiger / Leopard, and then you can run stuff like TenFourFox or Safari with "leopard-webkit" for a fully up-to-date and somewhat reasonably performant browser. Otherwise there's still things like Dillo and NetSurf back on Linux if you don't need JavaScript.
Running Debian gives you far more software support and up-to-date software than OS X though, besides those two browsers and some old games.

G5 Dual 2005, PowerMac G4 MDD 1.42GHz DP, PowerBook G4 High Res 1.67GHz.

Back to your containment board manchild .

Attached: 1529641999182.jpg (996x954, 319K)

I have an old core 2 duo black Macbook. Should I try to get it running again?

It ran hot as fuck on day 1 so I can't imagine it'd be efficient these days.

Would use it primarily for shit posting.

see

install a SSD on it and it should be ready to shitpost.

see

seething

see