/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
weekend edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Emby to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>Links
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features

old thread

Attached: hsg_2.jpg (1200x368, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/UXS-Server-2U-Supermicro-FREENAS-11-JBOD-12-Bay-X9DRI-LN4F-2x-Xeon-E5-2620-18TB/142834501985
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>mfw waiting for wikileaks insurance file keys to drop
anyone else sitting on them?

>/hsg/

Attached: 1530920120313.jpg (184x184, 14K)

i'm maxing out my upload bandwidth as we speak

healthy loli?

Are things like GNU Social and a blog best done on a home connection, or on a VPS in someone's data center somewhere? I want to fall for Lunduke Jr's epic host it yourself meme, but I don't want to pay monthly for a virtual machine to do it? I'm mostly concerned about my home network's security and bandwidth, not necessarily if my ISP wants to play ball.

he's obviously gonna use em as collateral to negotiate himself a better deal
very seriously doubt anyone whose name doesn't start with "senator" will ever see them

Suddenly IPFS is a lot faster today
Weird

Best done on a home connection because it's easy but you need to isolate the web server from the rest of the network so use a vm or container, otherwise you'll be wasting resources

dead general
>of the day
more like 'the week'

B C A C H E F S
C
A
C
H
E
F
S

>slow general = dead general
go away adhd fag

W H E N?
H
E
N

I'm running it now, he rebased it to 5.0. he should be trying to upstream it within 6 months. takes a little bit of wizardry to use it though

Stay the fuck away from QNAP products. They promise you the moon but it's all shit. After three years of a $700 unit the bootloader still has a broken download link.
>set up networking
>see external IP in top-right corner
>link shows up to download the HybridDesk Station
>press link
>popup appears saying there's a networking problem

thanks for the warning
cool i've been sneaking a peek every once in a while

Attached: 1517364374678.png (800x1214, 258K)

anything new on container orchestration for docker or just swarm/kubernates still?

>install netbsd for fun
>pip doeesnt work
>youtubee-dl has outdated packagees

I made a mistake,

I am considering putting together a server from parts. What RAID controller(s) does Jow Forums recommend for several arrays and a large number of drives? Also, what RAID level considering I will probably have at least a dozen drives in the largest array?

>wants all this shit
>doesn't even tell us the size of the disks let alone what it's going to be used for

Attached: m4n.jpg (757x568, 65K)

I haven't decided yet if it's worth going for SAS and getting smaller disks or if I'm going to just use SATA disks. It's just going to be mass storage for things like Plex movies, music, pictures, backups from other machines on the network, probably an array of SSDs for virtual disks for some virtual machines on another host (probably proxmox? maybe ESXi). It may also be used for things like storing recordings from IP cameras, storing project files from some CAD software, etc. Basically, there will definitely be one array where the goal is to make it as large as possible and to have a high level of redundancy and availability, and probably another array where read/write and IOPS are most important.

How do you backup your RAID NAS? Do I need an identical setup and copy everything 1 to 1?

Building a full lab this week, going to be pretty pimpin when it's finished.

I want a second opinion on this. I'm using an R710 and just installed Exsi about two weeks ago. Set up a VM of Debian to host my Dockers of Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett and Pihole and run a few ffmpeg scripts for Zoneminder. My issues are with the fact there is no real upgrade path, Exsi 6.0 is as far as I'll be able to go as 6.5 is not supported (I tried installing it) and the version I have was modified by Dell anyway.

Would it be in my best interest to switch to Proxmox before I add more shit in? From my understanding I can host Docker containers directly on the Proxmox session rather than within a VM anyway.

LSI SAS 9201-16e

Hell, I was just looking for a product line or something, thanks m8. Any reason you recommended something that was 6Gb/s and not 12Gb/s?

RAID controllers are a fucking joke. Always use software RAID; there is absolutely no "special magic" that hardware controllers have that make them better. In fact, they're usually worse because the OS has no way to detect errors.

how long can i rely on my psu if i leave it on 24/7? i have 2 seasonics (one on nas, another in pc) which i've owned since 2014 or so. i don't want to buy new ones but i'm scared they're gonna start a housefire or make me lose my shit

Attached: shlop shlop.gif (444x408, 368K)

Now that I think about it it's probably cheaper and easier to get that for the large array and an 8-port 12Gb/s controller for the SSD array. Anyway, thanks user.

I have a Seasonic X-850 that's nearly seven years old, drawn at over 500W for up to 8 hours a day and ~100W the rest of the day for most of that time and it's never had a problem. As long as you're not drawing too much on the PSU they can go for years without a problem. Now, if you were pulling 500W from a 450W PSU for several years it might become a problem.

What's a good file upload webapp? Just need something to securely send files to my home server when out and about. Something like onionshare --receive, minus the Tor part.

You can't afford $3.50/month for a bargain basement VPS?

I'm a jr fullstack web developer. Thinking about getting a home server to run as a nginx web server for practice.. is this a bad idea? too expensive for just learning?

I guess I could just buy a digital ocean droplet and do teh same thing? At the end of the day I just need to be good at using nginx and migrating websites over to it.

Why don't you use a virtual machine and assign it an IP on the router DHCP? Why do you think you need a separate machine for this?

one of them is a gold rated psu (iirc it's 450 or something like that, but my nas doesn't draw too much power). the one on my machine is 650w bronze rated, i don't think i'm drawing too much from it also. thanks for posting your experience anyway. i hope i can get another 4-5 years out of both machines (they're around 5 years old but i have no reason to upgrade)

Because I'm a jr and I don't know any better man

thanks will look into this

also would a raspberry pi be a stupid idea too to run as a web server?

Just read up on what I said. You don't need a separate machine for this. You'll have a much harder time with a raspberry pi instead of a virtual machine.

Will do thank you man

Daily reminder to keep to the basics: Keep it Simple Dumb Ass for a stress free easy life.

FreeNas
ZFS Raid Z (1/2/3)
ECC Ram
Plex
Transmission
UPS
Backup via Replication or External Drive or both.

Simple, Easy, Just Works. No Worries about "Bitrot" or "Drive Failure". Enjoy life.

>full stack
>asking simple questions

ebay.com/itm/UXS-Server-2U-Supermicro-FREENAS-11-JBOD-12-Bay-X9DRI-LN4F-2x-Xeon-E5-2620-18TB/142834501985

Is this a good deal or are all these drives going to die on me in a week?

Odroid XU4 or Rock 64 for torrent box with USB 3.0 HDD attached to it? Might also want it as a Samba share for select devices, the Odroid XU4 is sold out in a lot of stores or heavily marked up and shipping to my Country is expensive.

Because it's under $30 and good enough and the difference between SAS-2 and SAS-3 is never going to be relevant for home use

Probably worth getting new 10+TB drives instead regardless of any considerations about reliability, I have cheap electricity and the break even point was still under 2 years just based on the power the drives themselves drew.

loli.safe, maybe

sure why not but if you're going for an odroid why not get the proper sata connector adapter? not sure if rock 64 has anything similar never looked into it much

Attached: 1552207529955.jpg (590x660, 30K)

can cloudfriends post in this thread?

Is the proper adapter the HC1? Or can you add a SATA adapter with the pin outs?I have a external USB 3.0 HDD so it doesn't require any extra power while I'd probably need a dedicated PSU just for powering a SATA HDD if I don't get the HC1.

no idea, but the sata->usb in external drives arent known for being good quality, you'd likely be better off shucking your external and connecting it via sata
but seeing now that odroid sata stuff is actually over usb 3.0 you might as well just go with usb from the start

genuine question here
how do i get kodi to catalog my anime properly?
im using the anidb plugin but it still doesnt either include the show or marks it as the wrong show
im guessing its with the naming convention of the shows, because all shows with underscores instead of dots/spaces are not cataloged
where do i do the regex stuff to fix this or how can i still continue seeding on AB but change the names for kodi to do its thing properly?

also what are you using to watch your anime on the telly?

Attached: 1522571639111.png (450x594, 379K)

You could install nginx on your own dev machine. Raspberry pi could also work.

it literally doesn't mean jack shit anymore, everyone out of college is a full stack enterprise solutions architect now, startups love this shit

this
t. systems architecture engineer

Make a separate directory with properly named symlinks to everything.

That's a good point. I have above average electrical rates so I was already a bit concerned about the power draw from dual Xeons. I'll probably go back to looking for low power hardware and throwing my own drives in.

You should set up a web server on a physical server, a virtual machine, and a digital ocean droplet. If you already have a computer all you will have to pay for is the droplet unless you want dedicated hardware for the purpose. This way you will understand the difference between the three.