DOT-MATRIX PRINTERS

I've read they last millions of years and predate dinosaurs.
I've read they only need a droplet of ink to function for generations.
I've read that if you ever actually need to replace the old ink droplet with new one, it's only $3.50.
I've read they're LOUD but in a cool way, like mechanical keyboards.
I've read they're SLOW but in a good way, because they remind of retro-computing and make you all nostalgic, even if you weren't around then.
I've read the quality of the letters is UNPARALLELED, even your 200 year old grandpa can read it.
I've read they're DOS COMPATIBLE. Meaning you only need WRITE CHARACTER TO PRINTER interrupt and you can use the printer in freaking 8086 ASSEMBLY, how cool is that?

I want to find out more about them. Heck, I want to buy one and use it to print my DOS assembly programs and their output. Please inform a repenting zoomer who wants to find the boomer ways about dot-matrix printers and what are some good ones you have and I could get.

Attached: dotmatrixprinter.jpg (1280x720, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Dot-Matrix-Printers/SubCategory/ID-631
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they were shit back then and they're still shit now
I can understand wanting to use old monitors and keyboards and whatnot, but why would you willingly go back to these old dinosaurs that are more limited in use than anything else in recent years. I mean shit, I still use my old scanner from '97 but that still has use in modern times, even if most printers now have one integrated into their units.

they make a really annoying screeching sound, oh and good luck with the tape lmao

you've obviously never used one if you're praising it this much, zoomer

Get a black+white laser printer.
Dot matrix was ass and the only advantage was that they could punch down and write on multi-page forms.

Your laser printer will be able to print readable text and graphics, won't sound like a machine gun combined with nails on chalkboard, and will neatly interface with every computer you want to connect to it. If you want, you can even print your assembly out on it.

Just buy a modern Brother ink tank printer.

> Just buy a modern Brother mono laser printer.
Fixed that for ya

(You)

Attached: tenor.gif (220x230, 1.09M)

ssshhh we need to let people like OP keep talking so I can sell my broken dot matrix printer on ebay for a cool 180. vintage computing is a goldmine. shit doesn't even have to work

If old dot-matrix printers are so shit, show me a modern printer with a serial port which can be used to print things just using cat >

What is the IBM thinkpad equivalent for a printer, then?
Something durable, simple, cheap to maintain and operate?

HP LJ 4 or 5z.
HP 4200tn.
Kyocera forgot model name.

Do you know how expensive ink is

This but unironically. I got 2 from work that they wete going to throw away and theyre taking up space in my shed.

Probably a Brother laser printer

Used to have one on my old 286 computer, I wasted a lot of paper printing banners with a DOS program carrying the same name, my father wrote a book and printed the first 10-15 copies if it with that printer.
4 years of usage and I don't remember we ever put ink in that thing.

I damn well know how expensive it is, which is why I seldom buy it.

2 things will survive a nuclear holocaust
Cockroaches and a LJ 4

Those fuckers are built like a Soviet Tank, ugly as sin but utterly solid - weigh about the same too

I think you should find a old manual typewriter then use a pi and some multiplexed servos to type the text for you.

Matrix printers were shit, but cheaps, really cheaps, and that is the good thing about them

What about the color dot martix ones? How bad were they

They still sell them if you really want one
newegg.com/Dot-Matrix-Printers/SubCategory/ID-631