Why haven't these completely replaced thermal paste...

Why haven't these completely replaced thermal paste? Why the fuck does Linus continue to use thermal paste when he tested and verified that these thermal pads really work himself and could be reusing them all the time?

Attached: 91bCI29KsnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (801x1500, 255K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/12/03/Graphite-Pads-vs-Thermal-Paste-Which-Is-Better-1292/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because you're a fucking retard with no clue

Where's your evidence for that theory?

It isnt a stupid question. This deserves its own thread. Does the thermal paste industry insist that Linus keep using their inferior product when graphite thermal pads are superior?

try at a fucking benchmark before posting, dipshit

just because you think it isnt stupid and deserves it's own thread doesnt mean it does

read above and fuck off

It performs on par with therma\l paste, its a good buy

I'm bumping the thread just to piss this wanker off

Kill yourself faggot.

my coolers all came with thermal paste either pre-applied or in a syringe. so why would I buy an extra pad?

they're thicker (more thermal resistance) and less thermally conductive than metal-metal contact you get with properly applied thermal paste

Attached: Annotation.png (1102x361, 124K)

It absolutely makes sense that given the same thermal conductivity, the pad will lose to the paste every time or in a theoretical best case scenario be on par. The advantage of the pad though is that it doesn't dry out, and it's re-usable. Each has their own niche.

The issue with these pads is that although they have higher thermal conductivity than pastes, they unfortunately are also much, much thicker. This causes the net heat transfer per unit of time to be the same or worse than a high end paste.

Because traditions. People's minds want fixed things and fixed ideas even though times have changed. This sort of behavior is everywhere, everyday in human life.

When you do your next heatsink fitting, take a black magic marker, color the heat sink where it will touch the CPU, and fit it on the CPU without paste/pad; give it a tiny gently wiggle. Then take the heatsink back off and look to see were the black marker rubbed off on the CPU. Those are the point where the heatsink is actually touching. You can wipe off the marker with acetone (keep it the FUCK away from your electronics while doing that) and try it numerous times if needed. You should be able to get an idea of just how thick the paste/pad needs to be in order to fill all the areas where the black doesn't rub off.

I built my first pc recently and used these and my cpu and couldn't be any happier. My temp has not gone above 50 even when playing Overwatch and I'm using a 9700k.

love them!

Attached: 1488797105076.gif (500x207, 3.06M)

This post is bait.

this whole thread is a blatant shill for graphite pads.

Who cares. I'm just stating my experience with it.

and just happened to leave out what your temps were before, and you used fucking overwatch as an example, a game even a toaster can run.
wow so fucking impressive a pad keeps your shit under 50W when it barely uses 25% of the CPU

What are you talking about? Can you not read? Right now my temps are idling around 29. I also didn't mention that this pc has EIGHT noctua fans.

>a game even a toaster can run
idiot any pc game can run on a toaster if you fiddle with it enough

can you not into benchmarks?

This
They don't compress as much as a layer of paste

It's worse than good pastes

Not true.

see

This board of all places should understand that change for the sake of change is idiotic

fact of the matter is the pad is about 1c worse then the best non conductive paste, at that efficiency I would personally rather just use the pad over the paste.

fuck change for change sake, but I do like change when its worthwhile.

And I agree. I was just pointing out that while the other user was correct given certain parameters, in real life scenarios these parameters are not the same.

just use both of them for max cooling

>making this big of a deal over 1c

No, you're just being a faggot on the Internet.

This isn't change for the sake of change, its change for the sake of portability/reusability/cleanliness/easiness/etc at roughly the same performance level/cost as standard thermal paste. This means 99.9% of the people building computers on Jow Forums should really be moving towards something like IC Graphite pads because it functions/performs just like regular paste but with added capabilities.

puget systems found they really only lasted for a dozen or so applications at best.

Good for a potential average user, but useless for system builders and people who regularly change out components.

>Making a big deal
What? When? lol how is what I posted making a big deal? I'm even agreeing with you in this post

Based on what data?

pugetsystems.com/blog/2018/12/03/Graphite-Pads-vs-Thermal-Paste-Which-Is-Better-1292/

Thanks for sauce

there are a few reviewers that to thermal paste round ups every few months/year
when they introduced the graphite pads they always rank higher then arctic silver 5 and gelid gc extreme

thermal grizzly non conductive is slightly ahead of gc, and liquid metal is a solid 2-5 ahead of everything non conductive.

Because they're trash, perform badly and are only useful in scenarios where you have a wildly uneven package or coldplate, such as with the Radeon VII.

A good quality paste applied properly lasts ages.

So post the links to this data. Steve from Gay Man's Next Ass planned to review them, but didn't bother because he said that they were so terrible as to not be worth it. Provide some objective data to prove him wrong. Three different sources testing against at least ten competing products should be adequate, though feel free to provide more. Thanks.

Wow, you're really dumb.

Wrong.

Hey man not the same user but the world would be a better place if instead of just calling him dumb you'd explain why, and then call him dumb.

super fine sandpaper on a mirror.
a little oil on the sand paper.
move heatsink around until you have a mirror finish. Use paste

But then I'd be giving him aka you what you want, and I'm not about that life dog.

Fuck paste.

I already know why he's wrong though. Someone choosing not to review a product and giving no actual numbers isn't "proof" of anything performance wise. You could have easily included that in your response.

vaseline works. you can get to fapping right afterwards. celebrate

>makes claim
>throws a tantrum when asked to substantiate it
wew lad

That wasn't a tantrum though. How about you two talk it out like adults?

I used toothpaste on a gpu for a year. Worked alright.

I literally did this on my CPU for a couple of months. I mixed it a bit with Vaseline though

>it's an illiterate wannabe mod episode
Just stop, you're embarassing yourself.

>why does a marketer not use the product they shilled for?

also,
>Linus
you have to be 18+ to visit 4channel

:(
I wanted to be nice. There's already enough misery in my real life I don't want it everywhere I go

Why all the thermal paste hate in this thread? It's a little icky to clean up but it's one of the easier parts of building a PC. Clean your CPU and heatsink if you're a nasty slob and somehow managed to get them filthy already. Then put a blob or line in the middle of the CPU and put the heatsink on top. Done.

I use a thermal paste applicator and measure out a full teaspoon of thermal paste. A single blob or line isn't enough, you're gonna overheat your CPU and it'll burn up everything - including your graphics card.

I see you use the MSI method for determining how much paste to use. That's fine provided your paste is neither conductive nor capacitive. It's wasteful though, makes a big mess, and a blob the size of a pea is plenty.

I place healing crystals under my PC so the negative ions don't harm the computer parts. Nothing within a 6 yard radius of my PC is capacitive, so I'm pretty safe.

ITT: Babbies who've never built computers because they're afraid of thermal paste

Where do you place you Himalayan salt lamp?

Worse than top of the line pastes, as good as mx4 at best

Up my ass. I also do coffee enemas, they feel incredible and energize my Chakras after a hard day at work at the gay bar. My whole room is aligned with sacred geometry though, so I don't get a single bit of electrical spirits infecting my software.

Where do you get a buttplug shaped salt lamp? All the ones I've seen are all pointy and shit. Also is there any risk of the salt being absorbed into my ass giving me high blood pressure and hypernatremia?

No such thing as salt overdose, that's just a lie from Big Pharma. Sometimes small pharma too, it's little cousin. I just happened to get lucky and find a small shop that made hand blown glass lamps, and requested a butt plug shaped one.

I used these at work for some desktops they built for this small group that needed something that wasn't a 10 year old optiplex
constant issues with these but I don't know if it was related

Do they look at you funny when you request a buttplug lamp? Or is rectal salt lamn a common enough thing these days?

I was with both of my boyfriends so no one would DARE look at us funny.

I'm straight though. I don't want them to think I'm some sort of pervert. I'm only buying this for salt lamp therapy so I can dodge the harmful wifi rays from my neighbor's router.

Ah, then in that case, you don't really need a butt plug version. In my case it just fit with the gay tachyonic vibrations.

Thought the buttplug form was supposed to let me absorb the ions it produces more efficiently, and protect my PC from the ions.

It only resonates if you are already synchronized with the gay universal vibrations. That, sadly doesn't happen unless you are blessed with the big gay.

Can't I get a straight buttplug?

You could hypothetically. I have yet to find one, though. Maybe I'm searching wrong?

Same. All I'm finding are gay ones and AirPods subwoofers.

>subOwOfers
:^)

I work in a computer repair shop and this is false

All thermal paste no matter how well applied will become “rubbery” in about 2 years and “rock-like” around 5 years in. Re-application of thermal paste should be a scheduled maintenance step for any enthusiast who wants to see thier system last. I would recommend once a year for most people and every 6 months for a heavy use machhine (always on).

kek

Apply more a bit more than you need, spread over the whole ihs, remove excess, install cooler.

The true method.

>doesnt know his thermal paste has turned to rubber

does it not being a liquid really effect performance that much?

I put Arctic Silver 4 on a shitty Sempron a decade ago and put it to work as an always on NAS/torrent/chatbot/hobby web host box. Since then it's been on 24/7 except for a few hours of downtime when I've changed some stuff around inside it. The same thermal paste is there as when I built it, and it runs about as cool as ever.

Of course if I ever take the heatsink off the CPU I'll clean and repaste it. Reusing paste is a bad idea even if it's only a day old. It will never make as good contact again.

Do not spread, it makes more (((bubbles)))

>All thermal paste no matter how well applied will become “rubbery” in about 2 years and “rock-like” around 5 years in
Only if you take off the heatsink like a retard. Once the paste helps form a good contact with the heatsink, it's not going to stop forming a good contact unless your paste fucking sublimates into a gas and disappears, or you take off the heatsink like a retard.

How about you sublimate yourself with those fancy pansy retarded words

You do realize that there's no point covering the entire CPU lid right? The CPU die is a tiny square at the center and you get vastly decreasing efficiency at the edges of the lid.

>I didn't pass high school physics

>t. future burnt graphics card with no ion protection

Fuck you, I ain't some gas take that sublime shit somewhere else

Was it autism?