Can anyone on Jow Forums give a real reason why they don't like PHP that isn't just repeating someone's blog post on...

Can anyone on Jow Forums give a real reason why they don't like PHP that isn't just repeating someone's blog post on why "php sucks" from ten years ago? PHP 7+ is faster (in both development and execution) than its competitors and arguably more feature rich.

Attached: php-logo-ADE513E748-seeklogo.com.png (300x206, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lausanonymous.com/Discuss/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't consider myself as a someone on Jow Forums because I'm not a de/g/enerate.
That being said, I dislike PHP mainly for two reasons:
1) Disgusting syntax;
2) New versions never being backward-compatible with the older ones.

If you have no issues with either of those there's no reason to dislike PHP - it's a popular and a wide-spread language. Knowing it, especially if you like it, provides you with plenty of opportunities.

i mean php8 is right around the corner, but there are no frameworks that take advantage of its new features. laravel is still php5.6ing it. and thats considered bleeding edge php framework.

The syntax isn't aesthetic.

Because why use PHP in 2019 when if i want a moderately fast back-end that is easy to make i can just use NodeJS?

Attached: 576546346.jpg (1080x1080, 91K)

>monster pic
>thinks node is good

Oh no it’s retarded

Attached: 145678965478962148.png (769x733, 34K)

Why use PHP when you can use a single programming language across the server AND the browser? And more easily have both ends be able to talk to each other? Also, PWAs and WebAssembly can't be done in PHP.

WebAssembly will literally destroy the current cloud containerization businesses like Docker/Kubernetes/VMWare as we know it.

Also PHP has become the Java of the web. If you still do PHP nowadays, you're likely working with Wordpress or its plugins, which is totally fine, I guess.

>Node.JS
Enjoy your botnet.

>muh botnet boogeyman

>1)
It's mostly C syntax with $ for vars, It only gets ugly when retards mix HTML and PHP on the same file.
>2)
There's only a handful of obscure functions that work differently between 5.6 and 7.x, it's not like python where they purposely break everything with new releases.

>2) New versions never being backward-compatible with the older ones.
Huh? PHP has been so obsessed with BC that it's been one of their biggest issues with clearing legacy baggage.

This has to be bait.

How will it destroy containerization? Server side services will still rely on it, and WebAssembly is going to be far more expensive to develop in for minimal gain outside of some niche areas.

javascript will never replace c++ when performance is needed (gaming or desktop computing).

javascript will never replace php for client/server scripting.

javascript will always be a way to optionally dress a skeleton, which can perfectly operate by itself.

1) Wasting such an important character as the dot only to make concatenations, which fucked up the syntax in the long run.
2) Backticks run shell code instead of something useful and less dangerous. I told them it was a fucking horrible idea in their docs and they removed my comment. Waht a bunch of cunts.
3) There are several functions with mismatching anmes and signatures, which they could have fixed on newer versions by removing backward compat (which was broken anyway from other small changes over the years)

The only thing that Laravel is bleeding is bloat.

Almost every major corporate uses a Java backend even if the frontend is JavaScript/node

What?
Java backend is less popular than PHP and ASP.NET

Php is fine what the fuck are u retards on about
Php powers a majority of the web

Except all points in those blog posts are not about PHP's efficiency but ugly syntax, paradigm mixing, inconsequential function/class naming and stupid behaviour, all still issues in modern PHP.
PHP is a clusterfuck on a design level, this didn't change. Take it from a guy that had to work with this turd for about 2.5 years, never again.

I get paid to do shit in Zend. It's pretty comfy desu. That said I've had some problems with recursive functions and forking processes.

>WebAssembly will literally destroy the current cloud containerization businesses
complete fucking horseshit, faggot. you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

the only things I dislike about it is that you need some kind of webserver and its only a web language. other than that Its great and only second fiddle to ASP.NET

>Zend
>comfy
Have you tried literally anything else?

All of web development is bloat. Look up any webapp on github and try installing it on your system. Watch as whatever framework they used to make it downloads 327 dependencies.

PHP is absolutely baste.

>NULL < -1
>NULL == 0
>this is a real language

>write niggerlicious code
>"why didn't the language stop me!"

am currently working with laravel it's comfy desu.

> web server
what are you talking about? php comes with inbuild webserver for dev.

PHP is waaay more tolerable than Java.

>t. retard

t. streetshitter

I know you are a streetshitter. How else would you fail to greentext?

>Can anyone on Jow Forums give a real reason why they don't like PHP that isn't just listing all of the real reasons why PHP sucks gay cock.
What are you even asking for

>Java """developers""" bragging about the fact that they can greentext
you can't make this shit up

I have unfortunately experienced similar distress.

Try making a multiplayer game, a chat service or a webapp for monitoring a sensor of your choice in PHP.

You'll soon notice you are writing a js timer to poll the backend every 0.1s before you admit you actually need node.js websocket to handle to communications, then you need to port sessions for the websocket server for authentication and ultimately PHP is left to echo initial html at which point you'll decide it's easier to create and maintain the app by doing it all in node.js.

Just because you can turn a templating language into a fully-functional programming language doesn't mean you should use it as a robust server back-end if you have any other option.

In this day and age where you can easily write and hoist server code in whatever language you like and then publish it to the cloud for pennies, the only reason people use PHP is because they've been using it for decades and it's all they know.

PHP has websockets

Python's syntax is more disgusting. It's like poop smeared on the streets.

>PHP has websockets
(not true, by the way)

Because it's objectively horribly designed. It's a fucking singularity of bug workarounds, learning the language is 90% memorizing pitfalls like real_actual_function_this_time. It works in industry sort of like a broken window, there are so many jobs for it because you need more manpower to manage its shittiness, which leads to adoption because the large pool of developers makes hiring easy, and the cycle repeats.

There were practical reasons that led to its adoption, but these reasons are simply irrelevant to new projects.

>Can anyone on Jow Forums give a real reason why they don't like PHP that isn't just repeating someone's blog post on why "php sucks" from ten years ago?
It seems than can not from the previous comments. Interesting how even though I know almost nothing about php a few ten second searches proves alot of them know just as much as me.

>learning the language is 90% memorizing pitfalls like real_actual_function_this_time.

Apparently, the reason for the weird naming of internal functions is that they used the string length as the hash function. They had to mix the lengths of the names to avoid collisions in the hash table.

I agree. The average website is usually a 3MB Javascript bloat bootstrap for a either big or small SPA that also has SSR. ^w^

Fuckin' takes 30 seconds to load on 3G internet speeds. People need to think about us people in remote areas. And our damn CPUs.

>they used the string length as the hash function
pardon me

>they used the string length as the hash function.
god please be joking

Honestly depends on your design model. If you are going for a PWA or SPA Javascript is the way to go. However if you are building a simple MPA I recommend PHP personally.

If you're going for real-time(nearly) NodeJS is the way to go. But, if you are building a basic API that won't get over 1000 request per second, PHP is fine for APIs.

It really depends on what you are doing and how you want to solve your problem.

You could make an open-source blog and publish via Git locally and have a webserver have a deploy key attached to Git repo to automatically update your static blogging site every so often without needing to use server-side scripting. Just markdown. :)

But I'll say it again, IT REALLY DEPENDS on what the problem is, and how you want to solve it, and which are better solutions, etc.

JUST USE PLAIN HTML FOR FUCKS SAKE

Yeah but you are the equivalent of a non paying customer. You can't afford to donate to open source, and you can't afford to buy anything someone could be selling.

So why should everyone cater to you, when you won't even be the main target audience anyway?
You only have to load it once, if anything loading 3mb once is better than loading 50kb every time on your shitty mobile plan or whatever.

But that implies you'll use the site more than once, so I guess you'll say "b-but I won't use it more than once! wtf" which brings us back to point 1, you're a non paying customer.

Wrong on all accounts.

Amazon alone probably has a million lines of Java in production, PLUS external dependencies.

php has almost never had a backward compatibility issue

I find javascript to be a better language to read tbqh. Might be cause I came from C or because I enjoy doing front-end with react. PHP looks fine but I love joining the circlejerk and shitting on it whenever possible

Attached: 1459037195861.png (1280x720, 335K)

go fuck yourself, suggest better!

that user knew what he was talking about, you on the other hand, only replied a bunch of retarded shit

developing FOR REAL in 2019 is not about some fucking memes, it's about getting shit done and really working. doing REAL stuff and not only shit talking all day long eating your tendies on Jow Forums fucking retard

PHP is alright but retarded. There's still a LOT of job in that world

I want a programming language that crash the shit out if I do something wrong. Fuck with "continue on error" mentality.

Laravel is complete fucking trash. Phalcon is the way.

>not running shell scripts
How do you encrypt files?

Not even gonna read replies. The best reason is that ASP.NET Core exists.

this. Fuck node, .net core is my new best friend.

That's bullshit though. Most of the bootstrap code from webpack transpiling is less than 100k and most of those code are polyfills that doesn't execute in modern browsers at all. If website has 3MB of js, it would've had with or without spa/node and everything else.

more like straight-up retarded

>strrchr — Find the last occurrence of a character in a string

that's just one example from the string library.

have fun looking through the docs. the user-contributed notes are the definitive source if you want to actually do anything

also, sometimes functions that perform the inverse of other functions take their arguments in a different order for no reason

someone post that dude maintaining gigantic php code

>mix HTML and PHP on the same file
this is so hard not to do without bloating up your shit with template files, parsers for templates, and introducing yet another syntax in the process

when the stdlib can't even decide on a consistent naming scheme. the whole thing is a shitshow

while (true) { $user = 'based; }

/thread

>70544169
dude, they took a lot of their function names straight from c. if you don't like strrchr, blame c, not php.

why should I care?

the least that PHP can do is not be crippled shitware if they're gonna use C function names

security concerns
> Google: CVE PHP

On small business. Most big business runs a shitton of Java code. Ever had to deal with IBM WAS?

2nd'ing

Nearly every major company out there runs something on the JVM... which basically means they don't like writing Java (I'm looking at you Kotlin and Scala) but yeah... this ^

If you don't want to take my word for it, do your own research. But here are some pros: C#, open source, cross platform, async code, high performance.

Found the virgin programmer

Is English not your first language?

I'm high as fuck, we're saturday night I'm having fun

The company I work for literally cannot hire Spring developers fast enough to keep up with demand.

>1) Disgusting syntax
Follow PSR and your code will look good
>2) New versions never being backward-compatible with the older ones.
On the contrary, PHP's extensive backwards compatibility is one of the reasons why it gets criticized so much

PHP7's execution speeds are pretty fantastic. Minimal frameworks like Slim can also get you a lot of flexibility and performance out of very little code

>Why use PHP when you can use a single programming language across the server AND the browser?
Because a web client and a server have two completely different responsibilities. This idea has been showcased by extending JavaScript into databases, too, via Mongo. That turned out to be a huge disaster because for the overwhelming number of database requirements, SQL beats it out every time.

>1) Wasting such an important character as the dot only to make concatenations, which fucked up the syntax in the long run.
I don't see how this is a criticism. Also, it's infinitely better to use a dot for concatenation instead of, say, the fucking plus symbol like EmcaScript does, leading to mandatory type checks to make sure that something like concatenating numeric strings doesn't actually sum, or vice versa.

>2) Backticks run shell code instead of something useful and less dangerous.
Shorthands are useful. It's also syntactically equivalent to using shell_exec(), so nothing about it is inherently more dangerous than being able to use another built-in function

>3) There are several functions with mismatching names and signatures
This criticism is completely valid

>ugly syntax, paradigm mixing, inconsequential function/class naming, stupid behaviour
These are problems with you, not with the language

>JUST USE PLAIN HTML FOR FUCKS SAKE
Use a template renderer like Twig or Blade and you'll be fine

>I want a programming language that crash the shit out if I do something wrong
You can absolutely do this with PHP

Attached: 1536809613007.gif (230x156, 1.99M)

perl 5/6 is better than php

I made a streaming PHP chat, no polling. Where is your god now faggot?

lausanonymous.com/Discuss/