Other urls found in this thread:

workmanlayout.org/#the-problem-with-colemak
colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/
github.com/mw8/white_keyboard_layout
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>he doesn't write in Gregg's shorthand

Attached: UFhYPaNl.jpg (480x640, 52K)

Brady?

Looks like shit. All the main vowels o the same row. I'm a pecker typer and this looks totally incompatible.

I do tho

>he doesn’t write in the Charlie Kelly method

Attached: 62B16423-8B73-4DA7-BFAC-ED9029DEBC6A.jpg (291x236, 11K)

I aint unlearning years of vim keystrokes to swap layouts now..

I fully switched for 2 years but I lost qwerty touch type ability. That was too steep a cost. The scenario of using a PC on a one off basis comes up far too often. I gave up colemak.

why dont they teach this at public schools?
it would be peerless for taking lecture notes (handwritten stuff is easier to remember than typed)
and as a digital or printed "alphabet" it could make text more information dense.
literally what are the downsides?

It's hard to learn and read. Takes time - I can write at around 100wpm with around 8 months practice. World record is like 220wpm.

>crippling yourself with inferior layouts

It's literally superior. And it preserves the zxcvb for shortcuts.

>he still doesnt use Dvorak

It's literally inferior.
workmanlayout.org/#the-problem-with-colemak

The downside is that if your notes aren't already 90% math, then you shouldn't be at college in the first place.

Attached: 346.jpg (1000x1924, 832K)

*blocks your path*
colemakmods.github.io/mod-dh/

>Colemak by design, as well as Dvorak tries to reduce use of the top and the bottom rows. Actually, when you think about it, most of the other alternative layouts optimize for this very thing. However, I believe that the way that alternative layouts focus on just the home row for optimization is somewhat misguided. We should optimize the keys inside the hand’s natural range of motion and not just strictly the home row.
>Other letters that I think are cumbersome with Colemak are the letters G, L, and O. I believe that by moving these letters, horizontal and diagonal stretching could be made less and the load on the right pinky could be reduced.
Swapping a couple of letters around doesn't fix the fundamental design flaws of your layout.

For the record Workman isn't perfect either, but it was definitely a much better step in the right direction and a direct inspiration for the actual best layout I've found, which is the White layout.

Link or it doesn't exist.

github.com/mw8/white_keyboard_layout
>OU on the same finger
Into the trash it goes.

I think he optimized too much towards his own (untested) opinions, abilities, and computer setup. Was an interesting read though.

Attached: diagram-white_layout.png (580x160, 16K)

Where do I buy a coolemak layout keyboard?

Why don't just set in on your OS?

But then my keyboard is still qwerty I won't know what I'm typing

Learning to type without looking at the keyboard is part of the benefits.

The thing is it comes with all the code, so you're free to change it as you please. For example, Workman was designed with matrix keyboards in mind primarily, so it's less optimal even within its own constraints for normal staggered keyboards. White can be adapted to any layout, and trained on any text corpus.
I actually agree with almost all of his assumptions. It's certainly better than Dvorak's "lol just alternate hands lmao" or Colemak's "haha it's almost like qwerty haha it's easy to learn haha". Ultimately, there's no real good way to test assumptions without a measurable biological "effort" score that could be found from empirical tests. All "keyboard layout scoring" utilities simply use a set of metrics, which are themselves assumptions as to what makes a layout good or bad.

I do agree that the OU is weird, though, and I'm wondering why that is. Maybe his same-finger penalty isn't high enough. I wonder if simply increasing the double score coefficient could help.

Lmoa

but I do user

Attached: typing 1.gif (480x255, 2.62M)

And yet I still need to see the keys in order to learn the layout

I think you could just have people score difficulty of typing words or measure how long it takes them to type words to see which positions, bi-, tri-grams cause higher difficulty scores.

Print the layout on a sheet of paper, fold it up, put it next to your laptop.

>Laptop
I have a desktop with a mech keyboard not a piddly little laptop

Also google for a Colemak typing tutor and do those. It speeds up learning immensely.

Nobody cares.

buy a different set of keycaps? why are you such a whiny little bitch retard

Because I don't want to learn to blind type and i shouldn't be forced to there is no benefit in doing so

There is literally no benefit to looking at your keyboard as you type

Yes less mistakes and easier to learn that and less carpel tunnel

>less mistakes
Not really, not unless you're typing really fucking slow
>less carpal tunnel
That's entirely bullshit and you know it, unless you're getting carpal tunnel in your neck or something it makes no difference
>easier to learn
That's only relevant if you barely use a keyboard. If you type for any extended amount of time you won't even have to "learn" anything

yes, colemak is incompatible with retardation.

this, I have learned dvorak in the past, but I no longer use it.

>Reduces typing speed
>Forces you to look away from what you're typing
>Causes neck strain as you're looking down
Fair enough user, I'll start looking at my keyboard while I type

You type with your pecker? Do you cum at the end of each post?

It's garbage for non-English languages, it wouldn't improve anything for me during daily use. I'm sticking with my QWERTZ layout.

That's not strictly true, vowels are generally the most used letters in a language thus making Colemak at least better than QWERTZ, although there is probably another better optimised layout for your language

Didn't know they made keyboards.
Their campstoves are pretty good.

Colemak not Coleman

It would improve your shitposting ability