Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y8U2NkbiMAI
youtu.be/iQIFF1OVic4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get a Ryzen.

Try pissing on it

install gentoo

this isnt diy retard

I can't even see the bent pin with my eyes, they're so fucking small. Wish I had a magnifying glass or something, how do I straighten it?

>how do I straighten it?
Very carefully, and make sure you're grounded you stupid idiot.

grounded? like meditation?

Attached: grounded-meditation.png (376x548, 64K)

>get a magnifying glass
>straighten it

Magnifying glasses with headlamp and some pointy tools

user, please. Take your fart fetish pics to /d/

youtube.com/watch?v=y8U2NkbiMAI

How does this shit even happen?

In a fit of autism, I took my processor out when I was strip cleaning my PC. When it was time to put it all back, I noticed one of the pins was magically bent.
I'm gonna try fixing it with pic related since it's the only thing I have on me, I can do this.

Attached: urrea-slotted-screwdrivers-9805-64_1000.jpg (1000x1000, 32K)

Yeah it's the same idea, only one is chink bullshit and the other is a concept in the physical sciences.

Attached: 1555045451897.png (937x581, 161K)

INTEL FAGS BTFO

Attached: intelfagsbtfo.gif (500x280, 500K)

i had it happen once. i had to remove the socket bracket to get my cooler to attach so there was nothing holding the cpu in. so i apply thermal paste to the cpu, touch the cooler to the cpu, but for some reason had a second thought and when i pulled the cooler away the cpu came with it and then detached and crashed down on the socket bending some pins. i was able to fix it with a piece of guitar string and a magnifying glass though so no harm done.

>i had to remove the socket bracket to get my cooler to attach
No, you didn't. There is never a reason to take that off. Ever.

wash it

Attached: 2000 dollar CPU 2.webm (1280x720, 1.76M)

there is on dell boards.

LGA was a mistake.

Use a ballpoint pen with a retractible tip. Take out the guts and just use the point part to lift the bent pin carefully into the proper position.

Derbauer did a video on why this isn't bad.
Also just wash your motherboard in the dishwasher already.

Not a mistake, just more fragile but better for density.

Intel has no reason to use it on desktop shit though, that's a mistake. AMD's been using it for 10 years - but only on server platforms (and recently HEDT, since it uses the same socket)
AMD are doing more pins than Intel (1334 vs 115x where x is whatever mood Intel is in that week) with micropga.

Fix what?

what about this thing?

Attached: hmm.jpg (964x700, 228K)

that would be a capacitor, it should be fine.
I would be impressed if you'd/they'd managed to break off a sot0603 cap from a processor without wrecking anything else

In the future use a credit card to straighten the pin, but for the love of fuck make sure you're grounded

Actually I just zoomed in more, it looked like bare traces to solder on a capacitor but those are actually 0402 inductors, hilariously small inductors

isn't water fine as long as you make sure it's 100% dry before powering it up again?

Depends on water content

If it's 100% pure distilled water, you could even run it under water and nothing would happen

Hard tap water is electrically conductive so it could cause some electrical funkyness if the traces are close enough but you're more likely to fuck it up from some electrolytic chemical reaction

Why is that corner bare?

It's not

I've bent them back into place with a needle in the servers at work

Get a QuickerClicker (pic related), use it to straighten the pin. Been using these for decades now since they were first produced back in the early 1980s. Best mechanical pencils ever and a great addition to any technician's toolkit for just that kind of bent pin repair job.

Attached: QuickerClicker.png (480x480, 42K)

savage

TIL

>dell

Attached: 1551571108809.jpg (460x580, 34K)

Intel chips are the best for high fidelity gaming.

Slide a credit or business card between the rows of pins and lever the bent one back into place. The pins are pretty malliable and you just need to get it into place enough that it goes into the socket, it doesnt have to be perfect.

Fixed it bros, pic coming up

Attached: a.jpg (2558x1331, 1.69M)

By working at it very carefully.

Good job.

9 from the top, 4 from the right

Well done.

I use to do this at work. Make sure you are well grounded, and ESD smock wouldn't be a bad idea either. You'll need a well lit microscope and some very fine tip dental picks.

You'll need to very carefully brace the root of the pin with one pick and gently bend the pin back into place as close to the root as you can. Move your hands slowly and be aware than you will have almost no depth perception.

If you don't fuck up, it'll work otherwise you are hosed.

nigga that's some hardcore hentai right there

Naissu

> now it has hair
oh well, as long as it's fixed.

>Make sure you are well grounded
bending a pin back does not require you to be grounded unless you're going to place your hands on the pins or on other parts of the motherboard.

Intoddlers.

Attached: debiru red.png (854x747, 230K)

youtu.be/iQIFF1OVic4

How about this then?

Attached: 2000 dollar CPU 1.webm (1280x720, 2.98M)

Everyone triggered by ESD when I just built two systems bare foot walking on carpet on a bed that shocks me every time I get out of it with a piece of cardboard being my work surface. Just touch your case before you touch crap and if you're really paranoid have a glass of water nearby and you can ground yourself to your hearts content.

I literally never shorted anything with ESD, those wrist straps aree for GAYS

Shit, I didn't notice that. Not that it matters, right?

What the FUCK is he doing?

How did you bend it?

Testing wacky DYI thermal paste replacement options. He didn't want to delid the CPU because that's not wise when experimening with alternate thermal paste materials, but he also wanted to make the lid thinner, so he grinded it away a little.

when i built my new pc, i was on my loungeroom floor on a rug with parts sitting on anti-static bags and making sure im touching the case at times. not a worry in the world. only time i had to use a strap was when i worked in a computer store building their machines. they were never happy if they caught you not using it.

Making the top of the CPU flatter it's quite common in over clocking the ihs' are never perfectly flat due to how they are made. This was just for testing household things to use as thermal paste though not overclocking

Get a cheap pen and take out the nib
Shove pin into hole

Doesn't he also say the best way to apply thermal paste is to smear it all over the the chip, as opposed to just applying a small dot in the center?

If so, he's retarded. It's been proven that you're far more likely to get air bubbles that way.

I remember this happening to me once:
on a ancient Phenon x4
what happened was i grabbed the cooler but somehow the cpu came up with it also and it touched some pins somewhere along the way
Or maybe it was while putting it back

Regardless, i was never able to unbend them, so F

Attached: 1523952853687.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

it's a mechanical process known as lapping (grinding), in this context it's to try and get a matched mirror like surface on both the heatsink and the cpu ihs to avoid inefficient heat losses between rough surface finishes which can trap air/thermal compound, it's purpose is to maximise heat transfer
it's also about the most autistic and least beneficial destructive mod you can do but it's easier to do than de-lidding for most people and it can still provide a minor but noticeable benefit to some cpus especially if you're watercooling or if the cpu already has a soldered TIM (ergo no benefit from de-lidding)

they're not meant to be perfectly flat as when matched with an appropriately curved heatsink you can actually get better thermal contact when the cpu is mounted vertically especially with stock mounting solutions or larger heavier heatsinks, custom mounting solutions or a lighter heatsink (like a watercooling block) can get you closer to the perfect tolerances you need to get the most out of flat ihs/heatsinks but it's not a practical to sell to consumers as a commodity item
historically there were issues if you had mismatched heatsinks as concave heatsinks to concave ihs produced the thermal worst results but this was always pretty rare, what really popularised lapping was the early watercoolers/overclockers who really did benefit from every few degrees celsius that they could, modern cpus are so much more efficient and handle voltages and temps better that it's hardly worth it any more in comparison

fag

>indian enjoying the river ganges

I actually use dental picks for this type of stuff I have a nice pair I use for all sorts of macro work, from straitening pins to fixing my sisters stupid fucking jewelry she comes by and drops off cause she has kids, she can't do it herself, and waaaaaaaaa

Yumi wtf

Eh?

Well done, a very nice fix. Does it work now?

What video is this?

Attached: UPGRADE2010.png (836x768, 17K)

Linux Tech Tips trying alternatives to thermal paste. Here you see them lapping the IHS to make it flatter and, theoretically, getting better contact with the heatsink. It ultimately didn't make any difference.

the big issue with it not working is because it's an intel chip with shitty thermal paste between the die and the heatspreader

The new ones are soldered though

Could you use a toothpick since that’s wooden?