Audio

What are some good active speakers below $500 that aren't boring studio monitors?
Also post your audio setup I guess

Attached: 1542495140423.jpg (1100x824, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tinytronics.nl/shop/nl/audio/versterkers/tpa3116-2x50w-audio-versterker-met-bluetooth-4.1-en-usb-audio
usa.philips.com/c-p/MCD708_37/-/specifications
amazon.com/gp/product/B016RBRVJ8
neumann.com/homestudio/en/difference-between-home-stereo-speakers-and-studio-monitors
parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the ones that don't hiss or rape your ears

Define "boring"

t5v

sony gtk-xb5

Completely flat response across the spectrum

anything but yamaha hs then

>I guess
tinytronics.nl/shop/nl/audio/versterkers/tpa3116-2x50w-audio-versterker-met-bluetooth-4.1-en-usb-audio
speakers usa.philips.com/c-p/MCD708_37/-/specifications

Attached: Monitor1.jpg (564x423, 44K)

>asks for posts pic of >$2200 speakers

Attached: 920394822.gif (480x600, 85K)

Both JBL and Rokit active monitors aren't accurate, so you might like them.

HS8 are excellent, but smaller models are too bright to be considered flat

This was the only speaker image I had laying around
I'm currently using a pair of rp5 from rokit and I think they're boring

Swans m200mk3 might fit your bill

Attached: 02替换.png (2000x1446, 1.72M)

>sidegrading this bad
just eq

I should have noted that I live in Europe and these seem pretty hard to find for a non retarded price here, they also seem pretty big for 5.25.
I plan on putting them on my desk

I'm in the UK and got them from Amazon, they had an offer recently and I copped them fro £270

Attached: MVIMG_20190413_123636.jpg (1500x1125, 498K)

>Both JBL and Rokit active monitors aren't accurate, so you might like them.
This. Had a set of KRK Rokit 8's. They were probably a bit on the "dark" side of neutral, but I liked them.

Do you like them? I'm going to watch some reviews and maybe I'll get them from amazon uk

Yes, I'm quite happy, I had Rokit KRK s before myself and the swans make for a more pleasant listening experience (I was basically in the same situation as you).
I find myself listening to much more music at home.

They are a slight bit taller (3-4cm) than the rokits but about the same width and depth in case you are worries about size.

You want that though, if you want to colour your music, use a tube amp for example, not shitty speakers.

I see, thanks.

Bit of a Gaymer thing
But are there any that light up as well like
amazon.com/gp/product/B016RBRVJ8
I just like glowing stuff but don't have capability to do acrylic work

damn im throwing my presonuses out and getting these

Attached: 1548896379787.jpg (542x537, 87K)

saturday morning acoustic guitar streaming

Attached: DSC_0686.jpg (1749x1200, 675K)

comfy

radio.net
"acoustic outpost"
cambridge USA

That's still rather nonspecific. Acoustics are given by 4 variables, 3 spatial and one of time-frequency.
Most speakers marketed as monitors have tone controls, and many of the cheaper ones are not even that flat axially. There is a vast combination of colorations that can be built into a speaker on-axis, never mind the resultant colorations from the spatial response of the speaker.

cheaper powered speakers tend to lack sufficient current to project a good soundstage

>smaller models are too bright to be considered flat

as an hs5 owner, I have to agree, but only in that the bass is lacking in the 5 models, I paired it with a hs8s and boy, I'm in heaven

The new Adams maybe.

Link?

I have jbl control one on smsl sa-50 dekstop amp.

I don't like them. They stop doing anything below 100Hz. Anyone got recommendations for entry level active subwoofers?

Or should I just sell them and get something else?

Attached: jblcontrolOne.jpg (697x600, 86K)

I think I might go with the t5v. They seem to be very good and I can get them from cheap not far from where I live.

Attached: 1555125494934.jpg (1000x750, 39K)

JBL LSR

>entry level active subwoofers?
get the monolith

Attached: 1528187719398.jpg (1124x1500, 461K)

*hisssssss*

sit back 10 feet and you won't hear it

>Completely flat response across the spectrum
Uhhhh, that's kind of the purpose of studio monitors. To give you a flat response. And why would you spend 500 dollars on speakers I'm assuming you'd use at home?

I don't want boring studio monitors, that's the thing.

Fine, studio monitors aren't for listening to already mixed and mastered music anyway. But for 500 dollars you'd get at least 200W speakers or something even more powerful. Not sure how much sense that makes is in a home environment.

I just want a good pair of 5" - 6" speakers I could put on my desk and enjoy a lot for the coming years, that's why I'm ready to spend up to $500 but not necessarily this much on them.

Microlab has some cool active speakers. That said for 500bucks you can get pretty sweet used stereo system. Assuming you got space for it. Pic related is me

Photo didnt upload for some reason

Attached: DSC_0272.jpg (3264x2448, 3.06M)

but theyre nearfield speakers?

Adam A5X.
To be fair i upgraded years ago from some Logitech pc speakers, so i don't have any more experience with other maybe better sounding options. So far i'm pretty happy with them.

Attached: ADAM A5x.jpg (350x350, 14K)

>studio monitors aren't for listening to already mixed and mastered music anyway

so much retardation

Are there PC subwoofers you can recommend? I'm content with my speakers, but more bass would be nice.

Attached: Channel One.jpg (900x690, 107K)

I have G2 KRK 8s, the sound is comfy and easy to listen to for long periods without fatigue. I heard there were major changes done for G3 models though.

Attached: d77aace72bb1947bf2b91ddfc57fa01a_1024x1024.jpg (800x800, 56K)

>studio monitors aren't for listening to already mixed and mastered music anyway
>so much retardation
W-what? Why do you think they're called STUDIO monitors then genius? Huh?
neumann.com/homestudio/en/difference-between-home-stereo-speakers-and-studio-monitors
I'd say Neuman knows more about it than you. Did you spend twice as much on studio monitors instead of speakers and complained how shit it sounds, is that it?

Check places like parts express and Amazon. There's lots of 8 and 10" powered sub available for 100 - $150.
parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1000-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-628

Also should have asked, aside from lack of bass, are you satisfied with their sound otherwise?

Attached: 20190307_195742.jpg (2560x1440, 1.26M)

So, monitors over speakers any day?
Is there a speakers/monitors guide by Jow Forums like the one for headphones?

>So, monitors over speakers any day?
Depends on the purpose. I'd assume most of the people posting here aren't audio engerineers, so...
>Is there a speakers/monitors guide by Jow Forums like the one for headphones?
Don't think so, haven't seen one.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1200x630, 313K)

Nice meme reply.
>Did you spend twice as much on studio monitors instead of speakers and complained how shit it sounds, is that it?
You too, huh?

thanks i made it myself

Well, the article you posted claims that home audio speakers create a 'smiley curve' by accentuating highs and lows. That alone would be a reason not to buy them.

>active speakers
pleb

I still don't understand what exactly is it you want to buy. I think my assumption that most people here aren't audio engineers is true, so, why would you not buy speakers which accentuate highs and lows? That's how they work and that's how music you're listening to actually sounds good.

why can't you prefer a different sound signature?
why are the neutral hd600s one of the most popular hifi headphones?

I'm not the OP, friendo. I'm just trying to understand your point. Saying that people aren't audio engineers doesn't mean that they don't want an accurate sound representation. If I wanted a 'pleasurable' compact sound, I would buy 30$ headphones with no soundstage and cramped up lows, listening to 320kbps MP3s. Little would I know that's not a good representation of the original audio of a lossless vinyl rip, let alone some master tape in a studio somewhere.

Why are there so few good looking speakers.
I don't want big black cubes. At least give me a nice cool grey or something.

Audioengine A5+ or Kanto Yu6.

Anything you find at goodwill i guess. Unless your're an absolute faggot about "muh sound quality."

he wants something that looks good, instead of sounds accurate.

>active

why? in practice, I always have some dangling receiver or tripath chink amp somewhere.

Yeah, since, who cares about sound quality anyway.

Attached: a9f3f5f5ff219377_org.jpg (6733x4925, 1.97M)

> recent get
> $50
NAD 7020e receiver. Found it at a pawn shop, mixed in with a stack of old dvd players. It works good, no crackle from the dials, doesn't smell like cigarettes, hardly had any dust in it.
I don't think they knew what it was worth.

Attached: 20190413_112342.jpg (2560x1440, 1.21M)

>There is a fine line between loud and too loud, between powerful drums and the drums overpowering the vocals. And there’s an even finer line between solid bass and booming bass, between crisp treble and harsh treble.
>Most music consumers therefore prefer speakers that seem to enhance their listening experience. Many hi-fi speakers accomplish this by boosting the bottom end and top end. The resulting “smiley curve” makes the music appear more powerful and crisp.
So what this article is saying is that music producers use their super-precise studio monitors to painstakingly and carefully adjust everything to perfection, and then consumer speakers just fucking yeet half the frequencies around anyway?
This article makes no sense and is pure marketing. It makes some accurate points, but presents them in a contradictory way, and also operates off wrong assumptions.

>So what this article is saying is that music producers use their super-precise studio monitors to painstakingly and carefully adjust everything to perfection, and then consumer speakers just fucking yeet half the frequencies around anyway?
This is honestly the same shit that happens in the video industry
Producers and editors will use expertly calibrated monitors to color correct to perfection only for all of it to be completely and utterly nuked by the best buy filters on TVs

Yeah but it's well known that shitty screens are shitty. Nobody well ever tell you "hey don't buy a TV/monitor with good colours because that's only for professionals, and as a consumer you'll get less enjoyment out of it than out of a shitty monitor with no colours!". And no monitor will intentionally fuck with the colours to make them "better" (some do have filters but it's usually because the screen is so atrocious that they decided to at least try something to improve how it looks; I've seen it mostly on TN panels).

I said nothing about shitty screens because it doesn't even matter if the screen is bad or not because the blown out filters you see on TVs and some monitors are often applied even to good screens with decent color coverage. The filters can always be disabled of course but that would just lead to them looking almost all the same

hm... good find

Attached: 96254-nad_7020e.jpg (800x600, 102K)

Just went to Axpona in Chicago.
Best sound of show: Avantgarde Duo (pic) $100k
2nd Harbeth 40.2 $14k
3rd Muraudio SP1 $7k
Mention OceanWay 3.5 $15k?

Attached: 20190413_121857.jpg (4032x3024, 471K)

All those speakers and not a lick of sound treatment
I think after a certain price point, practicality and sense just go out the fucking window and insanity sets in

> not realizing that it's a demo setup in a hotel conference room
> something about damage deposits and stapling foam to the walls

>implying the type of people who purchase these speakers would do any treatment even if it wasn't in a hotel and instead their own home

very nice, those NAD amps are great

i reckon half of them would have full autism listening rooms and would definately put thought into the room

I don't doubt it, there are actually some people who have money and make their hobby actually about audio and not just a hobby about how much money they can spend
I see way too much of the latter

Exactly, same as people that buy a lambo/ferrari and just drive around the city at 10mph.

Attached: mirror, mirror, on the desk....jpg (1652x1239, 503K)

Attached: 20190413_120409.jpg (4032x3024, 416K)

I disagree. I think people will full autism listening rooms and tens of thousands of dollars in are making their hobby about audio but it's still more about flexing money than enjoying listening to music.

What do you lads think the full retard line is for audio?

Cables thicker than your cock?

Attached: 9dbb53b1b6c26d2d76823026f799d9d2--peculiar-children--mm.jpg (348x475, 20K)

toy train stands to play the floor is lava with your cables?

kanto yu6's. Sounds like they're exactly what you're looking for.

>klipsch

enjoy the """"home theatre""" ear rape trying to ever listen to music on those.

Electrostatic headphones meme

Attached: F69A3D4C-45AB-46D9-9957-0B5176050B7E.jpg (1876x1440, 403K)

pic related

Attached: preview.jpg (1200x1200, 285K)

second gen is on sale RIGHT NOW!

Attached: 1551897853458.png (199x316, 28K)

>great
most NADs are mid-fi, slightly better than best buy audio deal of the week; but user should be able to sell that model for about 200 and save up for something actually great, like pic related

Attached: Krell-Vanguard-Integrated.jpg (1000x736, 122K)

>Meme cables
>Speakers too big for your room
>Buying DACs for subjective quality and not raw features
>In fact, almost anything having to do with high-end stereo setups that aren't 100% focused on specs and features
>Ignoring convenience
>Assuming expensive speakers/headphones HAVE to be paired with expensive DACs and amps

Attached: 1390240331550.jpg (800x800, 171K)

because no one wants them

ugly

i can't think of any reason why people would get klipsch unless they have hearing problems

you don't think the design and aesthetics of audio equipment matters?

they sound great

>studio monitors
into the trash it goes.

who the fuck thinks a flat frequency curve is enjoyable at all to listen to? It sounds exactly like what it sounds like, flat.

anyone not fucking retarded and just wants to listen to music should avoid studio grade equipment like the plague. They're tools used to get a job done. They give a generic sound so the sound engineer can make the songs sound good on any system. That's why they use that garbage. Otherwise they'd be using tube'd kef muons.

tldr: studio audio gear is shit and unless you're a sound engineer doing sound things professionally, do not buy them.