/flgt/ - Fdrinley GNU/Luinx Tahred

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1555156905586.jpg (4320x2880, 3.71M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file
unix.stackexchange.com/a/283757
maketecheasier.com/ip-address-geolocation-lookups-linux/
ipinfo.io/8.8.8.8
github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Manjaro is worse than Ubuntu. Install Arch and learn pacman commands.

Every device you use is running proprietary code, the website your reading this on is proprietary, the electricity you're using was generated and transmitted using proprietary code, and the list goes on including all the proprietary code in the linux kernel. But don't worry about it, its ok to be a hypocrite because the head hypocrite said so.

Are the books "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" and "Unix Programming Environment" worth to read now or they are too dated?
By worth I mean that I'll be learning things that are still being used or not? I have no problem of it being dated, I'd read it anyway, but they are the only Unix books I know and I'd want one that teaches things that are used in the actual version of Unix.

I've been looking for a reason to boot up linux for a few months (I have Kubuntu on my other partition), and finally came up with and idea for a shell script application I'd like to make. It will be used to preview and then rename media files within a given directory:

The application prompts you for a directory. Then it finds all media files, and for each one it: (1) Shows its current filename, excluding the extension. (2) Open up the image/video, (3) returns focus to the terminal and prompts for a new filename, or you can press something like Ctrl + N to keep the current filename. Thats it!

How do I get started? Specifically, what should I use that can open up image and video files, that can then return focus to terminal, without being too obstructive?

Attached: kbunty.jpg (233x216, 6K)

it's impossible to use non-proprietary for every single thing
but the real freetard use non-proprietary whenever possible
but you wouldn't understand since you are a brainwashed cia nibba consumerism goy faggot, fucking die

>lmao losers give up like me
Gno.

What email client do you use, Jow Forums?

>window updates breaks my keyboard
>can't code, decide to kill windows
>installed ubuntu and it just werks
>Everything works, gzdoom works, my IDEs work, everything works.
>GREAT!

So. what do you guys do to keep up to date with your goals? I downloaded the gnome pomodoro app and so far it's nice.
Yet, what do you guys else do to keep track of progress?
I am a student and I'd like to know how i can log everything without it becoming daunting.

qutebrowser

Stop using email.

Outlook Express

Look into Tutanota.

Neomutt, ofcourse.

Why?

i am fine with thunderbird.

I have / on SSD and /home on HDD which also has ~/download ~/video ~/images etc. I want to move home to SSD so configs and program data benefit from being on ssd but keep images, videos etc. on HDD (with symlinks to those dirs in home) How to do that?

What instead of it?

You just need /boot on SSD if you have a separate /usr and/or /etc dir.

>with symlinks to those dirs in home
Very bad idea.

why

why didn't you helped me, Jow Forums :(

Because links can break.

Is three any reason to use Kubuntu over KDE Neon

How do i set refresh rate with xorg.conf? I have
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DisplayPort-0"
Option "PreferredMode" "2560x1080"
Option "Position" "3840 0"
Option "Primary" "true"
EndSection
for monitor i want different refresh rate and it's boots at 60hz, but i want 75hz. Is that necessary to add new named mode for that?

How?
/home on ssd
/data on hhd with
-/images
-/videos

make ~/images and ~/videos linking to /data/images and /data/videos
What can break?

Gnome has this feature where you can click and drag maximized windows from any empty panel area. Is there ANY other DE where I can get this? I like the shell workflow, but everything else is vomit inducing.

sorry bro. I for one, have no idea how to do it.
i am just glad my keyboard works again.

why is it that I cant get nvidia-settings to use its settings after reboot? everytime I reboot I have to go into nvidia-settings and then exit them. Then itll fix the 144hz issue instead of staying locked at 60hz.

Press the button to save xorg.conf

yeah im doing that getting failed to commit changes to dconf:

you shouldn't symlink something outside of the disk

Symlinks exist specifically to link things outside the disk. They're a fail fast alternative to mount points.

Hi, what's a rolling release distro that is

- Have auto-detection (udev I suppose)/isn't stupidly barebones like Arch despite eating 800 MiB

- Don't eat too much space

- Have a recent version of kakoune in the binary repos, or ports/source.

- Have a proper functioning VirtualBox guest additions so I can use seamless mode. That means stacking window manager.

- Minimalist, no DE crap, I just want to run kakoune in seamless mode.

If you're going to suggest FreeBSD, please do. I'm super frustrated at this point.

Debian testing?

TryOption "PreferredMode" "2560x1080_75"

How much disk space Debian with X and IceWM forked?

Attached: sandwich.png (360x299, 12K)

i had to reinstall hp proprietary plugin, which by the way said it failed to install, to have my printer working again
i installed it 2 months ago and it worked, now i had to do it again, am i supposed to do it every now and then?
t. manjaro

gmail on chromium, my friend :-)

I hope this is bait

how do you take screenshot of tty again?

scrot

actually did that already as well but itll only work if you load if you do it manuallyt. I set it via mhwd-gpu --setmod nvidia --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf

This works nvidia-settings --load-config-only but again I have to do it manually

with tty I meant there's no x11 server up

Do I need to reboot an ubuntu system to use a different driver? I installed one but really don't want to restart for it to take effect

was going to install tree style tabs for firefox but heard it's really buggy, is it still the case? Go with that or tab center redux?

how the fuck do you get polybar working on linux mint?

modprobe the driver

What is the point of libc++ is LITERALLY nothing builds against it?

file_mode and dir_mode does nothing when mounting cifs. am I missing something?
mount.cifs //ip/folder /mount/folder -o gid=users,file_mode=0774,dir_mode=0775

i installed my xubuntu with no swap partition, can i add it later, should i leave it without? i have 16giggawatts of ram

Is AMDGPU experimental or unstable or anything like that or what else is the reason I have to manually install and enable it to be able to use Vulkan?

Does the account your mounting with have the appropriate permissions?
I'd start there.

yeah I mount with sudo. it worked on arch but now I'm having troubles on latest debian. I simply installed samba and cifs-utils for the job

How about the permissions on the remote folder?

I don't have an AMD card anymore so I might be talking out of my ass, but I'm pretty sure AMDGPU is in most repos these days. It's AMDGPU-PRO that contains proprietary software so it's a separate download.

If you really need swap you could also just add a swap file
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/swap#Swap_file

I am scared to shrink / and then move my /home partition in case anything goes wrong
is it valid fear?

Easiest way to install a minimal Debian/kde ? I just want Debian with kde-plasma-desktop.
Official kde flavour is 10gb, whereas Debian CLI is 1.3gb. The thing is, connecting to Wi-Fi through CLI is a mess (for me).
Why do I have to configure network on CLI since I already did it in the during the install process ? What's the easiest/quickest way to deal with it ? (I remember this Arch program consisting of an ncurse interface to detect and connect to wifi)

Attached: pantsu-ecchi-anime-girl-1092738.jpeg.jpg (800x600, 161K)

You can put that nvidia-settings command in your xinitrc. My distro's package actually just includes it as a script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d even.

Just downloaded some game game and installed it into my home folder. It's shit.
Can I just delete the folder or will there be leftovers on my system?

connect to wifi with wpa_supplicant for first boot, then install wicd-curses and use wicd service to manage wifi via cli
>unix.stackexchange.com/a/283757
># apt install wicd-curses

check .config I guess

Is fractional scaling ever coming to mainstream Liunx DE's?
As far as I understood it's basically impossible on X and right now you can only enable it in Gnome 3.22 using a Wayland session.
I use Mint on my desktop and want to use it on the laptop as well, but I need 125-150% scaling to see, and just bumping up the font sizes isn't a real solution.

Attached: 56985401_501699223701359_8207360513252786176_n.png (828x828, 472K)

No matter if everything goes well you should backup. How important is your data? Any interruption will cause you headaches and if your data is important then the cost of backing up before working on your live drive is worth the little money.

GNU/Linux*

info finding files

lignux

How do i ssh in to a machine,and then run a command from it automatically?
Host based ssh key authentication is setup. Is it as simple as running ssh to connect, putting in a sleep 1, then running the command in a shebang'd sh file?
It would be from android to linux(i can already connect fine with the script)

>lignux
I like it.

I recently installed Manjaro to replace my Linux Mint partition. Most of my linux experience is on debian based distros so Im wondering what the essential differences are that can help me be better acclimated with Manjaro.

I mostly use my linux partition for application development. I've already installed most of the major tools I use

Does anyone have a way to show the location based on IP on the command line? Before, I had an alias that, given the IP, would return the geographic location. But my old alias doesn't work anymore and I can't find a way to do this now.

Can someone help pls?

Attached: 1548120518724.png (2794x2794, 194K)

maketecheasier.com/ip-address-geolocation-lookups-linux/

thanks so much!

curl ipinfo.io/8.8.8.8

Did you have a stroke OP?

Nice! Thanks. Hope this website stays up for a while.

Dear Jow Forums

I run an Ubuntu 18.04 server and I want to occasionally watch some videos on the same machine.

The server runs on an i7 CPU ThinkPad with 8gb of ram and a 256 GB ssd. The gpu is an Intel HD 3000 graphics card.

I'm thinking of installing a desktop environment to watch some movies I would like to stream from my plex server. Most of the movies are medium to high quality rips.

I would prefer a light weight environment but I am afraid that maybe those environments do not support fast video decoding.

What environment does Jow Forums suggest and this very particular case and why?

Thanks!

No need for a DE, just use mpv using the tty driver.

whois 8.8.8.8 | egrep 'NetRange|Address|City|StateProv|PostalCode|Country'

Wow.. another nice solution. Thanks user!

>alsa
just installed debian and xfce but there's no audio. what now? hdmi:0, pch:1. how do I invert order?

Awesome wm. But the de/wm has nothing to do with mpv's decoding anyhow, at most you might get some weird bug interfering with rendering on opengl heavy de/wm.

Install pulse and pick the right source, sink, volume level.

Did you unmute the speakers?

I need a good GUI email client that is not Thunderbird. Suggestions?

GUI is for n00BZ.

I have and use Neomutt already, but I *need* a GUI client.

Maybe if you tell us what's wrong with Thunderbird. It's impossible to make good suggestions unless you tell us what you don't like about that one.

evolution

Besides the UI itself, there's nothing wrong with it. I dislike how convoluted and messy it is.

sylpheed

What's the easiest non-Botnet distro? Something like Mint but not based on (((Ubuntu)))

Fedora. Or Mint's Debian Edition

Ubuntu being botnet is a massively overblown thing though, unless you're talking about unusably old releases. That said, I can understand not wanting to trust Canonical after it.

On one machine I had Sabayon and MX Linux were the easiest distros to install and update.

That is likely not an universal rule.

Roundcube and k9-mail

You're wrong senpai. The only thing gone is the Amazon dash search. Now Ubuntu has real opt-out telemetry - and even if you opt out, Ubuntu doesn't stop calling home.

>and even if you opt out, Ubuntu doesn't stop calling home.
Source on this? My understanding was that Canonical was actually properly respecting its users thanks to backlash from the Amazon shit, and that the telemetry was a single, clearly-labled checkbox on the installer.

Well the information it sends when the user has opted out is simply:
{ "OptOut": true }
but it does that on a regular basis. To get rid of it, users have to uninstall the package.

github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md