Can you mother fuckers just tell me a good linux distro to install instead of trolling me to install some headless...

Can you mother fuckers just tell me a good linux distro to install instead of trolling me to install some headless fucking shit.

Im a beginner in programming and tech. I have a (somewhat) powerful laptop thats windows based. I fucking hate windows 10. I am so tired of using it.
Shit is just so bad, bloated, slow. Who the fuck even uses the microsoft store? The menu layout is so terrible. So many buttons, so much bullshit I don't use.

Id use windows 7 but I wana start using linux because it just seems so much easier.

Will I really have more control of the hardware in my laptop if I dual boot up linux? Is Linux mint truly a good OS for beginners?

Attached: sfadfasdfasdfasdf.jpg (600x325, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/LTSC-What-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-9.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Debian. Just werks.

Start with Ubuntu, get used to it a while, try out something else if you feel adventurous. If you're into the whole hold my hand thing that Windows provides, Ubuntu is the logical choice. Plenty of support on the web and it's popularity ensures a decent selection of software. You may not earn any cool guy points on Jow Forums, but, cool guys are rarely smart guys.

If you want stability:
Debian/Ubuntu/Mint

If you want up to date software without a pain in the ass:
Antergos

Otherwise: Arch.

Manjaro. Ubuntu is too ugly and bloated plus you have to deal with annoying PPAs,

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Manjaro and Linux Mint.
They work on everything and are braindead easy to install.

This. Debian or something Debian-based like Ubuntu. It has a huge amount of history and support. One caveat is that you might have issues with your wireless card during the install if it uses proprietary drivers. You can work around it but it's better to be prepared just in case.

Install Gentoo

I went with Mint, have it running on two laptops along side Win7 and it just werks.

Fedora

Cinnamon Mint.

FreeBSD

wdym by headless shit? start with any distro that isn't too obscure

mint (cinnamon version)
that's where everyone that come from windows start. you can make up your mind about what distro you want to use once you get used to it.

install netbsd

I second this

I prefer MATE

errrrytime

Attached: nadeshiko_gentoo.gif (400x566, 3.52M)

taste is subjective but there are better supported distros if you want to use mate (like ubuntu mate). cinnamon was made by mint guys after all.

install Gentoo.

Do yourself a favor and install Win 10 LTSC, and then run a VM of something like Ubuntu or Mint.
LTSC removes a lot of the crap in win 10, and if you're new to all this, not only will getting a VM up and running teach you useful concepts, it will let you explore and learn Linux without worrying about breaking something

I tried Ubuntu before Mint

ur doing it wrong, linux host LTSC in VM for the gaymes

No

This, for newbies is basically this.
Rolling release -> manjaro
Otherwise -> mint
Both with xfce (in mint is ugly, look how to change the theme icons)and non free drivers

Ubuntu or Mint

Ubuntu/fedora/mint
Now fuck off this board and never come back.

u

Go with Linux Mint. They all boil down to about the same thing, especially for beginners.

If you want something decent looking and that doesn't fuck up try Antergos with Budgie or Solus.

Lubuntu 18.04

Manjaro.

A lot of Jow Forums will disgree because it's Arch for babbies and they've done some goofy shit in the past, but by and large, it's honestly the most headache free distro out there. People will talk about the "stability" of point release distros like Ubuntu or Mint, except they always fucking break with every major upgrade. You also end up adding a ton of PPAs & other external repositories to get up to date software (as well as downloading a bunch of random .debs and/or compiling a bunch of shit), which also always break every fucking upgrade. By comparison, just being able to get anything you can conceive of in the Arch repos or AUR is a dream, and it's all up to date. Also, by default, Ubuntu comes with GNOME, which is garbage. Manjaro's KDE spin is pretty polished, and by virtue of the distro being rolling release, is kept up to date (which is great for a DE like KDE which tends to have frequent and substantive updates).

void

Debian 10 when it comes. I'm waiting in anticipation. Devuan is shit

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-13_20-42-28.png (852x138, 110K)

>Can you mother fuckers just tell me a good linux distro
Gentoo

I would advise against dual-booting, since Windows 10 might fuck with your Linux install. It happened to me and others, it might happen to you. Try out Linux in a VM or with a live medium if you don't want to delete Windows right away. Or always use one of those and keep Windows if you can't do without the games.

Distrowise, I think anything Debian-based (Debian itself, Ubuntu, Mint...) is probably fine. It doesn't make as much difference, just pick one and use it for a while. If you don't like something, you can probably tweak it in the distro itself or distrohop if you really want to.

Is PowerShell basically window's kernal?

this is the correct answer. But i will say it now and say it again. Linux is great, but it is far from the answer to the "I am too stupid to use W10" problem.

Just install Fedora. You get up to date packed and it’s supported commercially. It’s red hat. Fedora is not going anywhere unlike Debian which is on its way out.

>im a beginner
how new exactly? babby's first script or what?
>is linux mint truly a good OS for beginners
absofuckinglutely, disregard the Arch and Gentoo snowflakes, Mint is THE best beginner distro.

meme
which de?
meme
good response

Slackware

>"LTSC devices receive regular quality and security updates... you can choose to defer."
techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/LTSC-What-is-it-and-when-should-it-be-used/ba-p/293181
How secure is it compared to Win 10?

For someone coming from Windows I'd recommend KDE instead.

Kubuntu and only Kubuntu as a first distro

>debian based
Kubuntu
Mint Cinnamon
Mint XFCE / MX Linux
PopOS / Ubuntu
>arch based
Manjaro Xfce (or KDE)

The only difference between distros are package managers, DEs and default software. You'll want to have all the shit you need installed out of the box which is why Mint is good for beginners. The less shit you have to set up the better. You don't have to give a shit about the package manager especially if you go for a debian distro so the only noticeable difference between distros will be desktop environments.
Imho Xfce/KDE > Cinnamon >>> GNOME. If you don't want to think about anything or test things out then just install Mint Cinnamon and don't look at anything else until you've used it for at least a few months. If you want to test out which DE you like first then try Mint Cinnamon and Xfce, followed by Ubuntu and Kubuntu. You can customize the UI in all DEs with GNOME being the least customizable (and the heaviest on resources), so keep that in mind. Test each DE for a day or two to see what feels best for you.

Stay away from LTS releases because they usually have outdated software and worst of all, outdated kernels. The kernel is in charge of your AMD/Intel drivers so any GPU recently released will need a recent kernel. You can update the kernel easily by using mainline or ukuu from github, just in case you opt for an LTS distro.
If you have an nVidia GPU you'll need to install their drivers through the settings in your distro. If you have AMD or Intel then you're already setup out of the box.
If you use a WiFi card from a shit manufacturer then you'll probably have to install windows drivers for it and hope they work. Intel, DLink, TPLink, ZTE and a bunch of generic Chinese wireless cards/USBs will work ootb so there's a 90% chance you'll be fine.

>which de?
Whatever one you like. I'm not a dictator, why would I care?

Antergos is pretty comfy tbqh.

do you think a beginner would have any idea what a DE is?

lubuntu.

KALI Linux is good
you can make all your friends think you are
some loco fucking hacker.
Dont forget to invent a hacker name and
look me up on the internet.
I am c^pt^1n bU115H1T
look me up

ubuntu or fedora, everything else is a meme or placebo Jow Forums bullshit.

Debian Nonfree justwerks cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-9.8.0-amd64-netinst.iso

based