No pda thread? Pda thread

No pda thread? Pda thread.
>B-but muh outdated crappy hardware!
So thats what thinkpads are too
Lets discuss which models are best for buy and see which Jow Forumsuys are using pda in their life. I am planning to make a pda that will run linux but im not sure if i add a qwerty keyboard or full touchscreen with few functional buttons on it.

Attached: 62D4FB1E-86D3-44EC-A3A1-DCA480F420D9.jpg (456x672, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.eric-poncet.com/palm/tutorial.html
codeproject.com/Articles/12561/Palm-OS-3-5-Development-Part-1-Introduction-to-Pal
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i had a nokia e90 but sold it to some boomer for 60e

Attached: serveimage.jpg (667x500, 52K)

>Pda thread.
No. Kill yourself, faggot!

Damn, e90 is golden. Had amazing design and best symbian version. You could use it for at least ssh man why did you sold it?

Go to tpg you degenerate, i will make a pasta for it and after that it will be finally a general thread

But they are outdated? Thinkpads don't perform their function any worse than a macbook, they just look 'nerdy' and forego the contemporary design trends seen in laptops. There's nothing particularly challenging about using one for work or leisure. What the fuck is the point in using a PDA instead of a phone made after 2009? Not trying to be an asshole, I like nostalgic tech but I'm struggling to get this

I miss the HP iPaq. Those were comfy

>B-but muh outdated crappy hardware!
That's a valid argument tho. Anything that can't support TLS 1.2 can go straight to the trash.

You can always make a pda for your needs. I’ve always wanted one too, but lack of performance and apps got me into making my own pda that runs linux. You know when pdas were the thing between a computer and a phone, and then android came and closed the gap but there is still lack of ports and app support.

outdated != obsolete
that said, does anyone use them these days? seems impractical. they're not that cheap either.

I guess, seems a lot of effort for a frustrating experience though

Not that much if you’re familiar with it. Or you can just buy a second hand Pocketchip for 60 burgerbux

used it for a while but it wasn't that convenient.
i have a sweet nokia n9 now, need to reflash and get a sim adapter some day.

Attached: Screenshot_20190414_002350.png (765x457, 82K)

There is some good deals if you can catch them, i even saw an used dell axim for $5

The n9 was beautiful, the nicest plastic phone I've owned apart from maybe the HTC hero

Nokia N9 is perfect, it has meego which is linux based so you can use linux programs. Also there is sailfish os which i didnt try yet. There is a n950 version which has a qwerty keyboard

2007.... I am forgotten

Attached: palm-logo1[1].jpg (480x480, 21K)

I'm still waiting for a Palm Pre successor that isn't a stain on the original's memory

iSilo on a Palm was a comfy way to read ebooks back in the day

Used to have a Handspring Visor, was working and I wish I hadn't lost it somewhere

Back in 2004, in lieu of a laptop -which was still prohibitively expensive for me- I got a Casio Cassiopeia E-100 to help me out doing my college assignments while on campus or when commuting to home. Sometime later I got a GoType! keyboard for it, but that broke the port on the bottom of the PDA, so I had to buy a E-125.

That worked perfectly, and helped me out a lot in college and even during my Masters. Unluckily it got stolen in 2017.

I finally got a replacement last month. I now have several laptops, so I don't use it to write long documents anymore -the keyboard is safely kept in a drawer nowadays- but I still use my E-125 to keep my agenda, jot the quick note or reminder and to listen to music.

Sure, I could do this things on my smartphone, but the fact that my PDA doesn't connect to the internet and thus doesn't broadcast what my appointments are for every one of my contacts means I can keep my privacy.

And the fact that kids nowadays have no idea of what the fuck my E-125 is is also a bonus.

Attached: IMG_20190313_181110003.jpg (3264x1836, 1.47M)

> muh nostalgia
> muh retro
> get a Fujitsu Siemens LOOX PDA of Kijiji
> turn it on, realize I just wasted 30 euros on an outdated piece of hardware which can't do shit

Might get a GPD when it comes out in August

Attached: index9.jpg (300x168, 8K)

>going through old IT stuff for surplus
>found 2 rx3715s
it works great as a remote for my VCR
i had to make a WPA network to get online, kinda sad how most websites don't work because of HTTPS (if this version of IE mobile supports any ciphers, none of them are still in TLS)
anyone know of a proxy that would strip encryption? i want to see how well websites render on this thing but most sites seem to be HTTPS only now. i cant even access google

Attached: hp.jpg (777x1198, 734K)

>muh nostalgia
>muh retro
Thats where you went wrong my friend. You shouldn’t but old tech because of only its now called “retro”. You should buy it if you have a use case for that in your mind. For example if you dont have a laptop or you broke it and waiting for replacement, you can use it easily and it may even replace your laptop experience

posting this from a gemini pda.
fuck you outdated.

Care to share your experiences with the Gemini?

Gemini pda is a pda too

Dell axim models was pretty good too

I liked PDAs. I wish my Sony Clie didn't die all those years ago out of the blue. I thought that "hi res" (320x320) screen was the shit. Fucker even played music. I still have the memory sticks from it, but they've been used and wiped a bunch over the years, so I don't have any of the stuff from back then on 'em.

but if I'm entirely honest, literally everything a standalone PDA does, my phone can do in approximately the same form factor, with much more (and better) software running at hundreds of times the speed
hell, just syncing them can be a pain
the easiest way for me to sync an old Palm m100 a buddy gave me fairly recently to a modern OS was my sister's old laptop which had an IR port (and was running Ubuntu)
fucker wouldn't sync over the cable for anything, and you couldn't get the software to run under Windows, I had to use some FOSS replacement under Linux

kinda thought PDAs (and Palm based ones in particular) were the future way back then
I was bad at this whole prediction thing, I thought Zip disks were the future, and then I thought optical drives weren't going to disappear later on.
even considered becoming a Palm OS developer

>Thinkpads don't perform their function any worse than a macbook
Near unusable screens, unusable speakers (Just use headphones bro), slow as shit hardware that only runs well with Linux...
Yeah, no

I still have my old Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX N560. I absolutely loved it when I was a teen in high school, the available amount of software and games was absolutely amazing to me and I had shitloads of fun with it.

A few years ago I remembered I had it and that it was still in working condition, so I decided to see if I could find some use for it. I ended up writing a program for it which displays system information about my desktop, basically things I'd otherwise have in an OSD while playing games, though now on their own little screen with dedicated bars to make it very easy to judge at a glance. It's been sitting in its cradle ever since and I've gotten so used to having that information available that I don't want to give it up, so it'll keep on being used on a pretty much daily basis.

Shitty phone picture related.

Attached: IMG_20190414_045331.jpg (864x1152, 652K)

try using

>the old net dot com

that shows old sites without encryption.

I love the keyboard and OS. Also my first smartphone with GPS.
Ugh, Windows Mobile, what could have been....

Attached: images (9).jpg (372x666, 39K)

I rarely go anywhere without my T3 anymore, I vastly prefer it to my phone for appointments/todos/quick notes just because of how integrated the PIM suite is with the system + hardware buttons for quick access. With Docs to Go and Powerone it also handles MS Office documents natively and functions as a kickass graphing calculator, plus I have C, Scheme, Forth and BASIC compilers/interpreters on it.

Only thing I really wish it did was support SDHC, maybe 802.11n wireless but I'm fine with dedicating my smartphone to internet and communication while keeping my offline stuff on a device more suited to it.

Attached: t3.jpg (1018x1280, 147K)

>anyone know of a proxy that would strip encryption? i want to see how well websites render on this thing but most sites seem to be HTTPS only now. i cant even access google
I'm trying to figure out the same shit. Seems like you can strip SSL with ettercap and SSLstrip, but I'm wondering if you could just set up a caching proxy as well, I remember reading a thread full of people bitching about Squid downgrading the shit out of SSL connections in its default configuration.

this is great, thanks for sharing it
i had a T5 and upgraded to a TX. i wish i hadn't thrown out either of them
looking on ebay a tx is $50-60, while a t3 is $60-80
the tx is the better device but i miss the slide-out screen

I paid $45 for my T3, compared to the TX I'd say in most respects it's a better device too with a faster processor and double the RAM (but no onboard flash or wi-fi, you can get both on SD of course)

Of course, the TX can use SDHC while for some reason that driver was never supported on the T3. Pisses me off, I'd love to throw my entire music library on it rather than using a special playlist of only favorites.

usually, when i buy old tech i buy it just to fuck around with it not use it.
yep, the only reason i'd use a pda myself is to deal with docs. smartphones suck dealing with those.

Attached: 594318.jpg (750x565, 62K)

Plenty of shit you can do with a Crusoe, you just have to think of computing beyond YouTube and video games.

>pda t
You mean a very bad tablet?

tablets are objectively worthless for pretty much everything but old people who can't read small screens

I miss my X5.

What is this image? Did somebody commit sudoku?

You can install a modern Linux environment on an old ThinkPad and get real use out of it.
An old PDA from 15 years ago is literally fucking useless. As mentions, lack of modern communications and data standards means it cannot interface with or connect to anything.

somebody had too much fun

A PDA is just a smartphone with a physical keyboard maybe and a default set of apps.

Quite frankly, physical keyboards on a handheld device is shit now that we have reliable voice typing. Try reaching 150 WPM of slow voice typing with your thumb diddling keyboard.

was the carousel spinning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

>you can install a modern linux
Yeah then just try to open just one tab in firefox and watch how you room will go to 45C in 4 seconds. Also you would have plenty of time while your hello world will be compiled into 13 hours

This is why you can attach a real keyboard to them. Onboard keyboard(hardware or software) isn’t for writing spreadsheets or something like that. Just quick notes or web browsing

How much time does compiling take?

Yeah, there is even some flip phones based on windows mobile

Meanwhile, that old PDA can't even connect to any websites because it doesn't support any modern HTTP standards.

So a thinkpad can connect them with burning the shit out of hell. You can even smell melt plastic when you’re playing a 720p video on youtube while scrolling down on the same page.

Can you explain it more?

>docs. smartphones suck dealing with those
assuming you just want to open .doc and .xls, the pda will work
anything more and the pda will probably be incompatible
>even considered becoming a Palm OS developer
used to have the same idea, kinda want to try writing programs for it now

I still have a Palm Zire 71. It was incredibly useful during college. That was before smart phones.
I loved the handwriting feature I could write very fast with it.

>Might get a GPD when it comes out in August
Is there a new one coming out in august? You can already get multiple GPD comps that are very capable

Here is some useful links for you friends
mobile.eric-poncet.com/palm/tutorial.html
codeproject.com/Articles/12561/Palm-OS-3-5-Development-Part-1-Introduction-to-Pal

Bumping for the love of personal device assistants

this is pretty useful, thanks

>6 gb ram
more than my laptop kek

>that temperature
>that ram

It is the host pc’s system specs i think

How can you not tell that this is measuring the specs of another system? All of the specs are nearly impossible on a device that size, and that's not even considering its age.

So why are PDAfags dragging ThinkPads into the conversation for no reason?

If computing is nothing but Facebook and YouTube to you, you really don't belong here.
It's going to be slow for anything substantial, but for the kinds of very small projects you'd write directly on your device Onboard/PocketC are fine. I mostly use LispMe and various BASIC interpreters for on-device programming though.
Wish I could, but I haven't really had time to try messing with it yet.

I can stream 1080p videos just fine without the smell of burnt plastic. Why are you lying?

I think you didnt opened another tab to scroll on some article or like that.

same brand of pointless autism and retro-cool fashion accessorizing

Because the thinkpadfags always come and say just buy an used thinkpad and how superior to a pda or literally everything.
>Hello i want to buy a laptop and my budget is $1500
>Hurr durr buy 10 used thinkpads

Cool shit, I found a few applications for Palm OS that did that and now I really want to mess with them...

If you can tell me where did you get those apps, i can add it to the pasta that i am making

General archives or the specific software? I think I drudged them up from Palmarchive. PalmOrb is the specific application.

PalmDB is another archive that has sprung up that at this point looks like pretty much just an attempt to present the Palmarchive content in a more orderly fashion, it has a lot of potential.

Thanks, those will be added to pasta :)

Bump for pdafriends