Amazing for desktops

(everything is shit for desktops)

/thread

>Shit for desktops
why?

> good for servers
Active Directory when?
Your rpi is not a server

Not OP but unlike ricer fags, people who have shit to do don't have all day to spend just getting their desktop to function nominally.

I guess there's appreciation to be had for customized Linux GUI's, Rainmeter, and anime girl desktops. But very little of that has anything to do with actually being productive.

Frankly just a matter of priorities.

you should look outside of this board then. most people that wanna use linux just install ubuntu/manjaro/fedora/mint and their ricing is limited to changing the wallpaper and (MAYBE) the DE theme.

>muh amazing lunix servers!!
LOL. VMS whips this penguin's ass with its legendary uptimes.

Not everyone can afford a Mac.

it's called xfce

Shit for servers
Shit for desktops

Attached: 1544438210454.png (880x645, 9K)

Isn't a server basically a beefy desktop without a monitor. Or am I just retarded?

Attached: Screenshot_20190412-031427~2.png (750x885, 535K)

>Isn't a server basically a beefy desktop without a monitor.
No.

Y not? U can run programs

Is that how you define desktop?

No.

Then why say it?

I was saying a server runs programs like a computer because a server is a computer. It's late.

Okay, but a server isn't by definition a beefy desktop without a monitor.

Why not though?

A server does not have to be beefy compared to a desktop, and can be used with a monitor.

My 'server' is just a dedicated LAMP stack running on an old Compaq Presario without any sort of desktop installed.

Because that has nothing to do with what a server is at all. Servers don't have to be beefy, servers can have computer monitors attached.
In fact, if you really dig down to the core of what defines a server, it basically loses all meaning, and everything is a server and a client in some regard.

I think server in broad sense is computer that provides services to other computers in network.

Dedicated "professional" servers are often beefy computers without monitor (since monitor is waste of resources), but not necessarily so.

You can re-purpose old laptop to serve as your home file-server. It would be server (as it provides services), but it hardly fits your criteria.

how the fuck is windows or mac productive?

It's just a kernel.

The mac is a device.

shit for servers, use *bsds
meh for desktops.

> Windows
shitty terminal and small things like not being able to rename files while they're open

> Mac
shitty window management and keyboard mapping

> have all day to spend just getting their desktop to function

what the fuck are you talking about?
Ubuntu install is easy and takes 1/4 the time of Windows 10 install

Servers are typically defined as a machine that generally is running 24/7 and "serves" things to clients, such as files or api endpoints. A server can be accisible through the public internet, or a private local network

I use CentOS for my servers because I'm an absolute fucking faggot

the eternal year of the linux desktop:
>DEs leak and stutter af
>system freezes because the very basic thing, resource management, is fundamentally broken
>things that should work out of the box won't work out of the box
>fartaudio & alsafart, no echo cancellation for your mic
>sometimes things magically start working the same as stop to work without your intervention
>firefox still does not have hardware acceleration
>hackintosh gives better support for your nvidia card than both nvidia blob and nouveau
>report a bug, devs just roll the ball blaming each other
I was running arch with i3wm for more than 1 year. It just werks. But as soon as I try out new DE or migrate to another distro, as soon as I try to get serious things to work, the real shitfest begins. I need to rename my setup to 'readstation' because running browsers and zathura are the only things it is capable of.
No wonders even Linux devs use Linux only as a backend but their main workstation is always a different OS, mostly MacOS (see: Linus Torvalds, Daniel Robbins (creator of Gentoo), Gnome devs).

It's not really FOSS's fault that GPU manufacturers jump through hoops to avoid giving GNU/Linux less shitty drivers, or the information needed for the community to make them.
>No wonders even Linux devs use Linux only as a backend but their main workstation is always a different OS, mostly MacOS (see: Linus Torvalds, Daniel Robbins (creator of Gentoo), Gnome devs).
Linus uses Fedora. Robbins does almost all of his work remotely and mainly avoids desktop GNU/Linux so he isn't tempted to tinker, IIRC he hates post-Snow Leopard OS X.
It doesn't surprise me at all that the GNOME devs are Apple fans, though. It would explain a lot of things.

Linus owns a macbook. Also this:
youtube.com/watch?v=3f8FPnAsIJ4
>It's not really FOSS's fault that GPU manufacturers jump through hoops
This is not only manufacturers fault either. There is no stable rod to grasp to develop a Linux driver. Linux devs change API on the fly and break whatever thing that relies on it, including your drivers. I too would not love to work for an OS I don't use for free because they update their kernel almost every week and break everything you have done in the past week.

>OP
good at sucking cock
shits uncontrollably (you know why)

>it's not really FOSS fault

Attached: serveimage.png (1024x1024, 38K)

Jow Forums often forgets that there are lots of people that are not programmers and often forgets that a operational system is a tool, not some religious thing you should devote to.

>Linux devs change API on the fly and break whatever thing that relies on it, including your drivers. I too would not love to work for an OS I don't use for free because they update their kernel almost every week and break everything you have done in the past week.
Stop lying. They are never breaking userspace and significant kernel changes are pretty damn rare.

>not using the tty for max productivity

>lying about my lies
sure user

Attached: firefox_ImavM3YXy8.png (784x663, 60K)

>using google
Ewwwww

sorry, your FOSS search engine does not work anymore

Attached: firefox_E7mNYqHRWM.png (1163x199, 18K)

>not being able to rename files while they're open
holy shit, is this real?

Attached: glacesipfull.png (663x731, 269K)

Yup, and without a graphic card most of time, with an emphasis on ram on proc.

Attached: 2f941856834c6446507d278c45b095b3e22f722e.jpg (510x624, 68K)

> NPC
good for herding, shit for doing real jobs

HOLLY SHIT

BTFO

Great for desktops, amazing for servers.

>Bad for normalfags
>Good for non-normalfags
And I hope it remains like this. Even though Ubuntu invites a lot of them.

>ubuntu
>souls
>manjaro
>debian
>fedora
all come with more functionallity than windows out of the box.

no technically every desktop is a server.

you are aware that most distros don't go with the newest kernal?
Debian stable uses 4.5 I think and testing 4.19 the newest is 5.0.5 at this point I think

hear hear.

I'm running Manjaro at the moment and it's pretty good man

>shitty terminal and small things like not being able to rename files while they're open
That's why anyone with a brain uses PowerShell.

>> Mac
>shitty window management and keyboard mapping
Still has Final Cut Pro and works for shit.

>Ubuntu install is easy and takes 1/4 the time of Windows 10 install
> t. Ricer who spends all day installing different distros and doesn't actually use them.