Is 4k on a laptop a meme or is there a noticable difference?

Is 4k on a laptop a meme or is there a noticable difference?

Attached: 1550407086418.jpg (1225x781, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes there is a noticeable difference.

is it worth the price in your case? enjoy or pick a lower resolution panel

FHD is fine to me, I'd take the one with the highest brightness.

There's no noticeable difference.

Get your eyes checked, unironically.

4k is an obvious upgrade, but often one that doesn't matter. If you need maximum battery life, get 1080p. But if you watch a lot of media or you use the laptop mostly plugged in, get 4k. 4k laptop screens tend to also have better colors and contrast than their 1080p counterparts.

0.02 USD has been deposited into your account.

Attached: 4567892.jpg (1162x850, 307K)

i have a precision and i usually run it at 1080p unless im plugged in coding or some shit

ui scaling on wangblows and linux is terrible
i swear to god laptop makers play an intentional joke
they shovel 1320x768 down everyones throat for years then skip over 1080 straight to 4k. i dont know who the hell would need 4k on a dinky 15 inch laptop screen

The noticeable difference is your battery dying

Theres quite a difference in power and resources consumption.

Laptops are a meme.

>needing anything more than 1080p on a fucking portable device
>tfw 8k phones become a reality

switch to 1080p when on battery, 4k on power
profit
use wayland

>laptop
What a pleb...

It's a meme. A bad one.

>t. A 4K laptop owner

I have a 4k xps 13.
Not worth the price, screen is gorgeous sure, but there is always a program regardless on what os youre on that doesnt scale well and looks bad or requires work to configure.
You also lose out on the battery life somewhat, and for a laptop thats way more important than the high dpi display.

2k is great because you can just do double scaling

4k is a meme

Just do 4x scaling.

Big difference. But if your not a graphic designer who cares?
9370 owner here with the 4K display. Battery life is MUCH worse.
Buy the 1080p one, if your a regular user and not a graphic designer.
As for watching movies, movies are a waste of life and buy a 300 dollar HD TV for that shit.

Only if the XPS had a 1440p display. On a 13in screen 1440p and 4K displays look the same. You don’t even see retina MacBook pros with 4K screens

This website do not just apply to Apple. But for all screens.
designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

Attached: 9A4F0C6F-E061-4AE0-A499-7C91A02BB5BB.jpg (516x650, 156K)

>I'm blind so it must mean that you are shills
Fuck off

>Is 4k on a laptop a meme
i would say so. too expensive and way too battery hungry for a 'mobile' device for barely (if any) benefit.

Attached: viewingdistanceresolutioncomparison.jpg (875x625, 139K)

Is this a goatsee wallpaper

Anyone who say's it noticeable is either lying or blind.

That being said 1080p on a 13-15in display is already pretty sharp and I wouldn't pay more or sacrifice battery life for 4k.

The human eye can't see past 1080p

The human ass isn't supposed to have Jamal's dick in it but that hasn't stopped you

>noticeable difference
Yes, your battery life will notice the difference

If you're getting the XPS 13, go for the fucking 1080p. It is a difference of LITERALLY 4 hours battery life, 9h Vs 13h, and the 1080p ver. Fans never turn on even in my i7 model. Res might be worth it at 15 inch with dedicated GPU, but at 13 it's only gonna make you run slow and hot with shitty scaling

That doesn't provide any increase in battery life, the additional drain comes from the display lighting 4x as many pixels. Running a DE in 4k certainly adds SOME power draw to the CPU, but it is absolutely miniscule in comparison to the battery drain that comes from, as mentioned, lighting 4x as many pixels on the screen, which a 4k screen does regardless of what resolution you set your OS to.

4k is a meme on anything smaller than a cinema screen.

There is literally computer relevance to any points on this graph past 27" and

This. All I want is a QHD 14" laptop but they either don't exist or have absolutely retarded specs and price

>DPI doesn't matter

lolwut

Attached: woof.jpg (736x721, 77K)

What's stopping them from making a display that just turns off a third of the pixels when unplugged?

There is a noticeable difference in text and icons.
Which is important on a small screen.

Gnome 3 has very good UI scaling.

I have a T460p with QHD screen.
Don't know what you mean by "retarded specs and price" - it's not cheap but it is fast.

I work using a Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen, and whilst the image is very nice, there are some drawbacks.

Not everything has high DPI mode support in Windows, including the OS' own built-in app or programs. Some programs might look tiny as fuck when you launch them because they haven't been scaled 2X to compensate.

When your primary display is 4K but a secondary display is not, this can cause all kinds of weird shit to happen when moving windows between screens.
Even shit like IE11 gets it hilariously wrong when you have the window on the secondary screen, then open the devtools. They look huge as fuck unless they're on the primary 4K screen.

If you yield and have to put the primary screen at standard 1080p resolution to forgo the high DPI issues, you now have to deal with a slightly blurry image due to bilinear upscaling. I wish they could've just gone for integer/nearest neighbour scaling. as in each 1920x1080 image output is displayed the same across each 2x2 pixel area on the 3840x2160 display.

>Ultrasharp... ultra Hd...
>have we mention how this is ultra cool?

>thinkpad
>not retarded price
Might get a used one if I can find with that panel

It makes you pay more sheckles for a replacement panel. Good goy.

Mostly what's already been said ITT. There's several real drawbacks, and while you *can* tell a 4k screen apart from a HD screen, if you look at your laptop from a proper distance it doesn't make a big difference, you can only barely sense the sharper resolution so it's not really worth the battery usage and scaling issues currently.

> scaling orriebllll
Install gentoo you niggerfaglet

>price
This. Its so disgusting that the 4k screen usually comes only with the highest specced model.

3200x1800 should be the optimal resolution.

Scales 1600x900 ^ 2 which is the best resolution for laptops ~13"

>13" laptops
Yuck. 14" is a minimum I'd use for anything serious, and 15" is probably even better. Laptops don't get any more portable past 14" by shaving off inches.

Apple knows best.

Apple uses 1280x800 ^ 2 for their 13" laptops and 1440x900 ^ 2 for their 15" laptops.

actually apple kinda screwed up recently as current 15" use 2880x1800 @ 1680x1050 so you don't get they beautiful integer scaling. however as macos scaling is good you don't really notice.

4K is a meme on laptops. You want around 1440-1600p on laptop screens. However 4K is not a meme on a desktop monitor and even 5K makes a difference. It's a shame that most manufactures just shove 4K on everything regardless of the device.

Apple doesn't have this problem.

It's not worth the difference in battery life getting significantly worse vs 1080p.

there is a noticeable difference but it's still overkill for a 15 inch screen, I'd rather pay less and have my battery last longer