Game dev here

Name one (1) reason why I should distribute and support my game on Linux

>much more work
>not much more gain
>you can run it through wine anyway

So why bother?

Attached: 7k5l17dke2s21.jpg (4032x3024, 2.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/flibitijibibo/b67910842ab95bb3decdf89d1502de88
blog.qt.io/blog/2018/10/29/deprecation-of-qbs/
partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/application/platforms/linux
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-runtime
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you shouldn't, dumbo

>less than 2% market share
>responsible for over 20% of the bugs
>freetards expect the game to be free

>much more work
So you're a meme dev?

You're not a developer, otherwise you'd know that maintaining cross platform builds is a pain in the ass. This is not Java.

what engine is your game based on. with some its literally recompiling for cross platform compatibility
what are your resources.
whats the genre. autistic games sell better on linux than action games do

>what engine is your game based on. with some its literally recompiling for cross platform compatibility
My own engine but it's based on SDL so it's not that much work to port. It's still effort tho

>what are your resources.
3 dollars in my wallet

>whats the genre. autistic games sell better on linux than action games do
2D metroidvania with rpg elements and cool pixel art

Lmao, you're some retard roleplaying as a developer.
Stop wasting your time and use a cross platform engine.

You could've picked cross platform libraries and not tie down your game to a non-portable APIs like DirectX to spare your future self from this decision, you only have yourself to blame.

>much more work
Only if your using a non compatible framework, other whys u just need to reconfigure a make file.
>not much more gain
Gain the prestige of Jow Forums
>you can run it through wine anyway
fag

As a side note, i do all my development on Linux so technically im porting my shit to windows.

More accessible content = more users, my friend.

>2D metroidvania with rpg elements and cool pixel art
lmao such nerd shit
I wouldn't even PIRATE your shit LMAO game more like GAYM get a life

Nice try but I wrote my own engine. I've been developing in C++ for the past 20 years, what are your credentials?

I did. Still effort to port and more effort to maintain

+0.03% of users doesnt' justify it though

You're not important, though

Attached: hi.gif (250x232, 777K)

SDL is cross platform

Linux is a kernel, it won't run your game by itself. You need a userland to run it.

Just make your game free (as in freedom, not price) so that anyone who wants to can port it to their operating system of choice, such as TempleOS.

Don't care. Release your games whereever you want. I'd rather you keep it on wangblows so there's a natural filter preventing normalfags from using GNU/Linux or BSD.

>2D metroidvania with rpg elements and cool pixel art
Well supporting Linux would make your game stand out from the ten trillion other 2D metroidvanias with RPG elements and pixel art.

Lets see it then
>b-b-but i dont wanna get doxxed.
Heard it all before

OK heres where we can see your a massive retard. Your main argument is that its not worth the time yes you spent you time making your own engine.
So riddle me this OP, how do you justify making your own engine.

>wrote my own engine
Been there, done that, it is fun but it is nothing to blog about on Jow Forums. Come back when you've done 3D, SDL is baby tier.

If you're using CMake, it should take 0 effort. If it doesn't, then your build system is misconfigured.

About 2% of my code isn't, tho

>Just make your game free
Yeah, I've totally been working 6 hours per day for 3 years to make my game free LOL

Nice

Money if it is worth the cost. Most engines can port your game to the Linux out of the box without any hassle.

>+0.03% of users doesnt' justify it though
If your game is interesting and captivating -- pretty sure it can be more than 0.03%. Just make sure it's popular (or make it look popular -- so kids/sheeps buy your game) and that 0.03% will become 10% or so "easily".

Linux gamers are an incredibly loud minority.
You'd benefit a lot from their loudness if you're not well established yet.
Remember to not depend on system libraries when you ship your linux version.

I don't want to associate my real name to this shit infested garbage dump, sorry

Easy. I get to make part 2,3 and 4 of my game and it's all streamlined so all I do is put in more assets. Well worth the initial effort of writing the engine, especially considering I already had about 80% of it done from my prev project

3D is just 2D with one more variable and an extra variable for rotation. It's trivial. 2D games look better overall and tend to have more soul

I'm not using CMake though. But I guess it's a possibility. Is there a less painful build system anyone can recommend though? I have terrible experience with CMake

2% code is too much work and you wasted 3 years reinventing the wheel.

You can leave the source open and have people pay for the assets. That would still be a free s in freedom game.

Dont
Freetards have severe entitlement issues, you'd waste time/resources supporting these manbabies

True but at the same time I need to be maintain builds for what, 3 or 4 distros? I mean is it worth my time? I'm having serious doubts

>Yeah, I've totally been working 6 hours per day for 3 years to make my game free LOL
I don't see what the issue here is. Things like Linux kernel and GCC took 1000s of man years to develop and those are free as in freedom and price. You can still charge money for your game.

it should be easy enough to port then i dont see a reason not to do it

You just need to make it run on Steam's platform if you want to sell the game.

And to develop for that, just use a Gentoo box.

>3D is just 2D with one more variable and an extra variable for rotation
Lmao

If Stadia survives though, then all OS's that can run Chrome will be able to game.

Seething wintoddler detected

Yeah, like those convoluted business models that stuff like Ardour uses? Thanks, I'd rather jump off a bridge

It's a maintenance hell and a build system nightmare. I wouldn't be asking for opinions otherwise

But it's true?

You're going to be competing against a lot of other indie developers in an already over-saturated market, while Linux users account for a relatively small portion of the gaming market, it's still more than you're likely going to ultimately reach, and your feedback.for them isn't going to be shuffled into a list of ten thousand asset flips. For the relatively low effort required, it's worth it just to try and get some extra sales and build your audience.

I hope it dies. The whole idea is far worse than just using Steam.

the meaning of free software doesn't refer to the price, it refers to being free as in freedom
if you buy a program and it respects your freedom it's still free software

> a maintenance hell
Why, all you need to do is maintain it against your flexible Gentoo (developer convenience) and the Steam platform.

> a build system nightmare
It works easily on a good build system.

>Yeah, like those convoluted business models that stuff like Ardour uses? Thanks, I'd rather jump off a bridge
There is no convoluted business model. You just put it on steam like any other asshole, and also have the code (not the art) on github.

We already know that you're a meme dev, don't try to act serious.

Ardour relies on donations and is sponsored by Harrison. You can still sell your game on stem and have just the source code be free. It's not like anyone is going to use your engine anyways.

Stadia runs Linux, Vulkan works the same on Linux and Windows

It is true, although you can definitely do 2D in a way that generalizes poorly to 3D.

Did you really need a new IP to post the same thing?

I'll still be maintaining builds for multiple flavors of Linux. I don't see a way around that.

I mean maybe it's not that painful, fuck if I know. I'll read into it I guess

As if linux somehow didn't support static linking.
gist.github.com/flibitijibibo/b67910842ab95bb3decdf89d1502de88

Stop being fucking retarded

Attached: qrotation.jpg (520x390, 25K)

Yeah I guess I could link everything statically. That's actually a smarter response than I anticipated from Jow Forums

> I'll still be maintaining builds for multiple flavors of Linux. I don't see a way around that.
Why though? You're going to sell your game - that means Steam, right? It's not like you have a realistic chance anywhere else.

If you were going open sauce, sure, you could do distro builds for the main distros, AppImages, Guix, Nix, ... but all of this doesn't matter with a commercial motive.

You really just want Gentoo + a build against Steam's platform "steam-runtime".

Lmao dude, just draw a 3D sprite and rotate it.

You only need to target Ubuntu. Main problem is dealing with how the game runs on various drivers, but if you're using OpenGL or Vulkan as your rendering pipeline you shouldn't have many issues.

Student with no real world experience here, why not use a bridge pattern to separate that 2% of dependent code if possible? What kind of code is it anyway, I'm curious.

You don't want to develop on Ubuntu. Maintainer choices about libs are retarded. Definitely pick Gentoo or something else.

The Steam platform keeps shit compatible with Ubuntu and so on, not really your problem directly.

a sprite is just a 2D subspace of a 3D model

garbage thread

Mostly filesystem and initialization stuff

But you can't have the projection of the sprite if you don't have a 3D model. I like how you ignore so many things about game engines, your game must be laggy as fuck.

There are a bunch of games in steam that are only built against Debian-likes because that's the only distro family steam officially supports.
A competent linux user can still get things running on any system by setting up Debian compatibility layers, but the actual real solution is so ship linux games like you ship windows games: vomit a complete binary with no system dependencies onto the internets.

It's still going to be the distro with the largest audience, targeting it and making sure the game runs properly on it is the right thing to do from a commercial perspective. Steam itself specifically targets and supports Ubuntu, there's no guarantee the client will run well on my other distribution.

it's fucking not, retarded kiddo/indie dev. there are bunch of gay effects you have to add for your 3d game to not look like it was made in the 90s. you have to deal with sdl, opengl (for 3d) and all that shit. you clearly never developed anything 3d if you think it's easy and if you developed 2d game engine yourself with the intent on selling it you're retarded.

Why is this n-word not using Unity or Unreal Engine?

Ok I'l actually answer seriously because you're amusing me.

>it's fucking not, retarded kiddo/indie dev
I live off my videogames. If that doesn't make me a professional I don't know what the criteria is.

>here are bunch of gay effects you have to add for your 3d game to not look like it was made in the 90s
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. What the fuck are you on about?

>you have to deal with sdl, opengl (for 3d) and all that shit
There's actually multiple ways to do 3D, you can do it with software if you're really crazy.

>if you think it's easy
Clearly it's not easy, lmao

>if you developed 2d game engine yourself with the intent on selling
I most certainly did, just like I did for my previous 5 or so games. They're giving me so much passive income I stopped worrying about jobs years ago. So clearly, my "2D game in the modern age" approach works pretty damn well. I'd say the results are probably even better than if I went with 3D initially. Probably because 2D pixel art is charming as fuck.

>you're retarded.
Thanks for your opinion, but you're clearly 15 years old and shouldn't be here. See you in 10 years when you gain some perspective on life and general world experience LOL

> There are a bunch of games in steam that are only built against
They're just built against the steam-runtime platform.

>Debian-likes because that's the only distro family steam officially supports.
Steam officially doesn't support "Debian-likes" but only Ubuntu LTS versions specifically.

You don't particularly need to give a shit, on your end it's actually not really Ubuntu LTS that you're shipping for, but the steam-runtime.

Unity is abysmal and UE4 costs a shitton of money, plus it's not suitable for 2D due to an incomprehensible amount of bloat. Any further questions?

Use qbs for a build system.
Cmake blows

>it is the right thing to do from a commercial perspective
Picking a good distribution to develop on and saving developer time is the right thing to do.
Of course you ultimately make the program work for the steam platform, it's not a contradictory goal.

You're also not developing for Android ON Android, right? It's a retarded idea.

Cmake is okay.

QBS on the other hand is deprecated: blog.qt.io/blog/2018/10/29/deprecation-of-qbs/

He's talking about which distro to target you brainlet

That means you have to distribute your code and nobody will buy your software again once someone else recompiles it

And I'm explaining that you target the *steam platform* -not Ubunto or Manjaro or MX, and you just pick a good distro like Gentoo to develop the Linux version on at the basic level.

Feel free to test the result on the current most popular distros if you have time (hint, LTS ubuntu may be less popular than non-LTS and so on)... although you can just let players report and fix anything distro specific IF it happens.

you shouldn't now go suck more dick

>pick a good distro like Gentoo

Attached: 1534036208069.jpg (428x720, 31K)

why not just crosscompile?

>just like I did for my previous 5 or so games
Can you post them?

You also *do* compile against a different chroot (the steam platform).

But you probably want the setup of your development environment to be more easily adaptable to investigate and fix bugs, test future versions of libs and Vulkan standards and so on.

cuz he wrote the engine himself like a tard

You don't target the "Steam platform", it's just a glorified web browser and application launcher, it has not one fucking thing to do with how a game ported over to Linux is going to run.

i thought it was based on SDL
also you can cross compile any code why does it matter if he wrote it himself?
good point but isnt this exactly what op is trying to avoid plus his base is cross platform eitherway
>vulkan support for 2d pixel game

ITT: bunch of amateurs pretending to be professionals

It's called the Steam runtime rather than the Steam platform (oh forgive me for not using the correct Steam terminology).

But yea, you target this runtime. It's not the specific distros that you target.

partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/application/platforms/linux
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-runtime

>good point but isnt this exactly what op is trying to avoid
He can't "avoid" it if he wants to sell his game on Steam. You always have to develop against the steam runtime.

Yet you certainly don't always want the round trip across Steam before you can run your dev build, so you obviously also run the software on your development distro.

Nothing to avoid, except difficulties with picking any libs and things you want on the latter (which Gentoo can do).

>why does it matter if he wrote it himself?
you can blame the other guy if you don't write the code. indie devs are sly fuckers which is why i suspect op is full of shit.

(cont'd)
BTW you also can run locally within this runtime of course, but that also is not always ideal for debugging issues and stuff.

Realistically, you want to be able to do both. And no this isn't hard.

Your application doesn't rely on the Steam runtime in any way shape or form to execute unless you are using its DRM or networking services. Steam has nothing to do with your actual game running on Linux systems other than being a distribution service and launcher, it doesn't decide what graphic driver versions you use or what libraries are available and so on, the distribution does. If you are going to develop a game for Linux you target the most widely used distribution by gamers in order to support the largest audience possible, and that's Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

no, you can publish on steam without using the steam runtime you just dont get steams drm if you dont also hes probably developing on windows the question was about making a linux port not switching development to linux
steam runtime wont magically allow it to run on linux i dont really get what you are talking about
so? what does that have to do with crosscompiling?

>Pixel art
Yeah go die in a fire with the other 50 billion other pixel art game devs

as long as you make sure you can run it through wine or proton that's good enough
GOG and the like don't ship userspace so shipping linux games there is dumb

Why so angry? It's just an artform. The reason it's popular it's because it's easier to do than the alternatives. There's still good pixel art and bad pixel art.

Attached: 1555225204173.jpg (1829x781, 227K)

>what does that have to do with crosscompiling?
if you don't write the code and it breaks you anally probe the person who did. if you write it and it breaks you're the one being probed.

> Your application doesn't rely on the Steam runtime in any way shape or form
Completely wrong. Read the linkage I provided rather than letting your imagination decide how it surely must be.

Steam provides a complete runtime (libs and all) that you have to use unless you negotiate something different with Valve, The currently running Linux distribution underneath intentionally provides very little. A running kernel, X11. Something like that.

>many people switching to Linux
>Fuck Microsoft, Fuck Apple
>wine and proton aren't perfect
>Don't be a nazi

>easier to do than the alternatives
Which is a cheap way out from injecting soul into the game. It makes the game not have a unique personality.

Hire an actual artist. You spend all this time making the game at the very least you can spend some coin to make it not look like utter shit.

Read your own "linkage", they're literally telling you to get those development tools from the Ubuntu repository, not from Steam itself and that the tools they provide are for the purpose of SHIPPING the game through Steam. Ie. distribution.

LOL yeah because Call of Duty 13247 has so much unique personality

Get the fuck off your high horse LMAO

Attached: 3GgV7bAEPn3ulm4_Ifpgq2Qmrj9tPKR1Je-BuSrk3Xg.png (540x340, 10K)