/spg/ - Smartphone General

QWERTY Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: gmi7.jpg (1218x1000, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_650-7859.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I hate phones.

Attached: mpv-shot3493.jpg (1920x1080, 277K)

The Pocophone F1 looks ugly; what can I do when they laugh at my phone, friends?

Attached: tfw.png (745x493, 441K)

buy an iPhone to use only when you're around them

Smash their teeth in with it

Suck their cocks.

I'm planning to buy Leagoo S10. What do you Anons think?

Attached: 0d99ce45-dbcc-4bce-8eda-95e8a747cbd7.jpg (1000x1000, 87K)

If I order this then can I keep it updated later down the line with unlocked bootloader?

Attached: 02_G7-ThinQ_Super-bright-display_desktop.jpg (1600x1370, 325K)

I thought the v20 wasn't one of the bootloops models? I didn't buy it yet anyways.

I use smartphones pretty light these days but battery is still important to me. Sure I could buy a moto g8 power but even it's 5000 mAh battery will wear down and I won't be able to replace it. Also it's not as powerful as the V20 despite being new midrange 2 and a half years later

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about facial recognition unlock. I've been watching phone reviews and every reviewer bitches about 'security' issues from facial recognition or lack thereof. Just use a pin or a fingerprint scanner lmao.

cringe

Only the European model currently has bootloader unlock

Attached: Capture.png (526x417, 40K)

Thats fine

Even the name is fucking retarded.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a budget Android smartphone? Ideally less than 400 CAD

I was thinking the Motorola G7. Thoughts?

Attached: 6qn6iw1y6uz11.png (720x918, 639K)

Just get the Poco

Why tho? I would really appreciate constructive opinion

Imagine your disappointment when you save 20$ buying a xiaomeme only to realize you got chinked by miui.

MIUI is non-ironically the best Android skin

Imagine being so dumb that you don't know how to unlock the bootloader

Galaxy S8 Active
>phone has a good amount of weight
>flat display
>4000mah
>sturdy enough to be /out/
>headphone jack
>microsd capable
>not super bloated compared to my last phone (sprint)
>peak aesthetics: good amount of bezels without any gross notches or holes
>getting android 9 so you'll be running same experience as s10

Attached: 61Aj4FFSO3L.jpg (500x484, 66K)

Bought the Pocophone, flashed Lineage OS first and tried it for a couple of months, then flashed Pixel Experience and went back to Miui. The IR unlock is just so smooth on the Miui, and the stock camera takes better photos on daylight time and videos than the GCam.
Most of the people who bitch about Miui are either people who are afraid of changes or just doesn't like the launcher and think launcher=OS

>Galaxy S8 Active
>"durable" phone
>screen breaks from single drop
>cant unlock the bootloader

Attached: trash.png (1080x3656, 325K)

What can I play in a high-end Smartphone that its worth the price of it? Pubg? What else?

Have you tried Xiaomi.eu? Im willing to try it in my RN7.

anyone with a regular sized pixel 3 here? whats your average SoT

>make phones so tall that to type in a URL into browsers means shifting your hand up and down to go the address bar back to the keyboard
What a timeline

>the stock camera takes better photos on daylight time and videos than the GCam
no it does not

do new phones even get any rom support anymore? do you still need phone-specific roms?

Nothing, really. It isn't about the games with these high-end chipsets. SD 660 can run Pubg at medium-high settings no problem. Most of the flagship processing power is used for the camera: high resolution sensors, high bitrate 4K videos, good EIS, night mode image stitching and other camera wankery.
You also get less heating up and much better power efficiency, but midrange phones usually negate that advantage by simply having a large battery. And there is a difference in speed when running bloated web pages and apps with future proofing as the flagship phone will be able to handle that ever increasing bloat for a longer time.

I should totally believe in you despite having I tried both myself. I have both of them and I use either of those depending on the situation. With good lighting Miui takes slightly better photos than GCam, but it suffers with low light shots, in which I use GCam
Yeah, when I say Miui I'm referring to xiaomi.eu, which has no ads

Laugh with them :^)

Attached: 1280px-Xiaomi_Poco_F1_on_Wikipedia.jpg (1280x1704, 350K)

What are the odds that chinese brands have firmware-level chinese backdoors in them?
have there been any wireshark tests?

Those bezels are Xbox huge

is it a wierd thing having less than 10 contacts in your phone?

Attached: 1544931087678.png (520x500, 167K)

Beside no ads, which other benefits does it have xiaomi.eu?

lg v30 or anything else?

Well phones nowadays are more multimedia devices than actual phones

So what's a relatively "rugged" phone that isn't super thick?

rugged phones are a meme, just get a regular phone with IP68 water resistance and then a good rugged case for it.

Is the Redmi Note 7 a good deal?

yeah, best phone at the 200€/$200 price range

Well I got it, I hope the LCD isnt too bad compared to OLED. No alternatives for the price, power and batterylife though

Attached: 1552949732503.gif (275x192, 1002K)

would like to now any cons to the thing, it seems way too good for the price
I've been on dumb phone to this day, finally thinking about upgrading.

There isn't really a catch other than the camera not actually being 48MP as advertised, it's some upscaling shit but it's still decent.

Xiaomi just doesn't have the biggest profit margins.

>would like to now any cons to the thing
The plastic frame doesn't fare well when bending it and the 48 MP camera can't take actual 48MP photos (the processor doesn't support it) , though pixel binning should work for12 MP ones.

what's your skinnyphone rec?
I don't like the 72mm i currently have

they don't need margins, they got 900 million people market
I'll be using it for media maybe hour or two a day, will it hold without recharging long?
I'm clueless about modern phones, I really need it only for listening to lectures at night

The battery is usually one of the strongest points of a Xiaomi phone, with two hours of media per day you can expect 3-4 days out of a charge.

>I don't like the 72mm
what phone is that? pretty nice these days

I used to have this:
gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_650-7859.php

6.9mm x 122g honestly peak design and comfort

miss it so much bros

Attached: 1493787047732.jpg (414x526, 65K)

thanks

moto g3
screen broke and replacements aren't gorilla glass
looking at the s9 (69mm) and the x1 compact (64mm) both of which are older than i might like

Pixel 3 or S10e (SD855 version, not the cucked Exynos)

Just realize it wasn't a typo and you meant height not thiccness

Okay then S10e as said

or for budget Mi9SE (70mm)

Attached: browsingboredgif.gif (862x899, 943K)

God, that notch is so ugly. I'm glad I didn't buy that one.

Depends on your age, I guess?
If you're an old man chances are you have close to 1000 phone numbers saved from the old days when social media was inexistent.

Is the samsung galaxy note 8 worth buying or are there better alternatives for a euro, if I want 6inch sized phones in the price range of note 8? Been using S3 since release and I am kinda out of the loop on what's good nowadays.

Attached: Samsung_Galaxy_Note_8_N950_78157.png (450x450, 109K)

fuck I miss the note 4
it was so convenient just having a removable battery

>getting c h i n k e d in 2020-1
Never buy a xiaomeme. Get a made in America Blackberry if you are at all serious with your mobile computing.

Way much less bloat so more free ram available, passes safety net and no ads are the ones I can think of

>Blackberry
>made in America
The current Blackberries are made in China by a chink company

Are there even any phones with removable batteries now? It seems like every phone is just trying to do what Applel is doing, with the fucking dumb notch and being paper thin
really what are some interesting phones in general? it's either get an iphone or get an android iphone, it's boring

Attached: 1498251819984.jpg (344x331, 46K)

What exactly causes screen burn-in?

I configured one of my mom's phone for maximum battery efficiency (for work), so most apps are on dark mode, wallpaper is also dark, light is at half, etc, but it still got burn-in on the left side.

>What exactly causes screen burn-in?
mainly static UI elements ie. notification bar, navigation bar, homescreen icons

I'm traveling to the USA for a study abroad program. What are GSM carriers that won't be expensive?

Attached: 1549995464445.jpg (750x933, 517K)

you have to go back

>I'm traveling to the USA
>won't be expensive

A little off-topic here but try your best not to get hurt or you're fucked.

Anything that uses T-Mobile towers. I like Consumer Cellular even though they're for boomers.

Isn't Poco the name of a kids TV show?
Lmao literally a phone for toddlers.

How's consumer cellular is it cheap at least?

LG LCDs are pretty good as far as I know.

Thanks.

How's the software? Should I stick with the bundled os or flash something else? I am somewhat concerned about privacy etc having done business in China in the past

The software has shitload of features, but often has serious or irritating bugs that are then slowly fixed over the months after the release, so I would definitely flash something else.

What the fuck is a poco

Desu Im starting to feel regret instead of going with OLED, even if its costlier. I know the panel is good but still

Attached: __ifukube_yahiro_yosuga_no_sora_drawn_by_suzuhira_hiro__e84d1e0a35d0177b70e43d60602cc728 (1).jpg (800x600, 178K)

You fucked up

i hate looking into phones so much, my autism cant decide on a phone. Wish i was a normie that just buy a iphone and be happy. Not waste hours looking into benchmarks and being autistic about headphone jacks, curved screens, notches etc.

Attached: ij4pnaab7qr01.png (655x509, 21K)

That's how you make an informed decision and not waste money. Nothing to be sorry about.

Same

Being informed is a double-edged sword though. There's a ton of information and factors to compare and contrast between various phones.

I can always return it no questions asked. Im however on the fence about the display since OLED takes 100 eur more premium and devices themselves dont have much to offer

Really? How is this possible? Even when my axon 7 was brand new I could barely reach 2 days. Though I blame the meme 1440p screen on that

RedPocket with the GSMT. I'm a light user and can get away with the 10 or 15 per month meme

Attached: 1525451461307.png (1152x727, 53K)

Oh yeah Mint is pretty good too if you're okay with buying in bulk

I mean take XZ3 for example, no jack and arguably worse camera, battery and DAC. Pixel has better camera and OLED but costs a leg. P20 Pro has shitty SoC.

Etc. Only thing I can think of is Mix 3 but Im sceptical about the slider surviving and erconomics arent great

He mentioned light use of up to 2 hours of media per day and I remained on the safe side when doing the calculation, assuming he'd get at least 8 hours SoT with such use and then reduced it a bit to accommodate for battery standby and the phone being used as a phone throughout the day (calls, messages, emails).
Xiaomi uses efficient SoCs, large and high-quality batteries and sticking to 1080p, as you mentioned, doesn't hurt either. And MIUI is insanely good at power saving, even with that cancerous RAM optimization turned off. My Redmi Note 3 Pro, after over 3 years of running mostly on Xiaomi.eu with some Lineage in-between can still do 8 hours of SoT.

I'm smartphone retarded and need help picking out a replacement for my broken iPhone 6.

>Canada
>Telus
>budget ???
>I just want a quality phone that has a headphone jack and decent battery life and camera.

I'm really basic and was wondering if anyone had a bread and butter phone for a philistine user like me? My friend wants me to get a huawei p30 but I figured i'd ask first

>8 hours of SoT.
Jesus christ. I've never had that on a new device. I think I might get a Xiaomi to replace this phone. Looking at Redmi Note 6 Pro or Redmi Note 7. Don't know if the extra moneys for a 660 over a 636 is worth. I basically don't game with the exception of one or two gacha shits.

I was actually considering getting an iPhone 6s or 7 or something because I heard their SoT is better than android on average but if Xiaomi can do that well that's the answer I'm looking for

If unlimited budget get a new iPhone or wait for one plus 7
Its gonna get announced in may

should i get the iphone xs?

636 has some issues with scrolling in apps with a lot of images aka play store and shit web pages
Also notch on note 6 is huge
My gf has note 6 pro and she is happy with it but i would get note 7 if i could

If 636 has issues like that I'd assume 625 also does like on the Redmi 5 Plus? The notch on the 6 doesn't really bother me.

Anyways I could always wait for one of the gearbest sales that happen pretty frequently and see if they put the Note 7 on sale

I'd go for the Note 7, the 660 will be noticeably faster and drain the battery less when playing games. The better camera setup and longer support being a newer and more popular phone are also pluses. There are also the Zenfones Max pro M1 and M2 which get even more in terms of battery life due to the extra 1000 mAh of capacity, though I don't have any first-hand experience with Asus phones, anons here seem to be pretty satisfied with them overall.

>Zenfones Max pro M1 and M2
Friend had a Zenfone 2 when it was x86 based and had constant issues, soured me to the brand

Bought the XZ2C for 399€ and am very satisfied.

Damn shame it doesn't have a headphone jack, otherwise it would be perfect.

Im rocking a Nokia 3.1 plus for only $200. Does pretty much everything i need it to the only downside is the low density screen but its not to big of an issue

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo-2.png (650x364, 187K)

Also I just noticed the Zenfones still use MicroUSB, that's a no go. I'll probably get the Note 7, it should work on T-Mo in the US

Not that guy but oneplus cameras are absolute trash.

>Jesus christ. I've never had that on a new device
LOL
this is what happens when you use anything but chinkphones. I get 14 hours SoT on mine.

Fuck off, it's good now. Works perfectly. Fuck the old issues

How does it matter if it used micro USB? Makes zero, and I mean ZERO difference. Literally what? How is that a reason to shun it? kys