Here's your discord alternative, bro

Here's your discord alternative, bro.

Attached: unknown-12.png (655x801, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tox.chat
matrix.org
riot.kiwifarms.net
halogen.chat
matrix.org/packages/debian/repo-key.asc
riot.im/packages/keys/riot.asc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Weak bait. The attack was against their production infrastructure due to an exploit in Jenkins. This has nothing to do with the Matrix protocol or any of its clients.

Does that even matter?
The only client that supports encryption other than SSL is Riot.im. So if the servers get fucked it defeats the point.

No one fucking cares about the "protocol" or the "clients. This is why you retards will never get any users.

the only solution: tox.chat

Riot.im is a static webapp. You can run it from anywhere (e.g. local copy, any other hosted copy, desktop electron app, etc.), not just the one hosted on riot.im.
Also, weechat-matrix, Nheko and that one Mac client all support encryption

This is good. I recently joined several discord "servers" and the community is absolutely retarded. Its like all the normies who couldnt operate irc client before were now given a simple alternative that even they could use.

They fucked up and informed you as soon as they could.
Call me back when discuck does the same.
Oh wait, they sell your data anyway.

>imagine being this retarded
If no one cares about the protocol or clients then how can you expect the userbase to increase?

This is everything wrong with the modern technological landscape and the Internet.
Everything is a "service" now. Everything is centralized. Everything is proprietary and hosted the the vendor's datacenter.
The majority of people don't think in terms of protocols anymore, and that's sad. It's at the core of all networking, really. Decentralized instances running standardized protocols. FTP is a standard protocol. HTTP, SMTP, SSH, DHCP, IRC, etc. Matrix is like those. It's not a "service". Riot is not a "service". None of this falls into what we consider as a "service".
What is the server-side Matrix code? It's a free software daemon running on a server system. It's just like an IRC daemon or Apache/Nginx for HTTP. What is the client side code? It's Riot, or one of the other clients out there. They're no different from your browser, your IRC client, your email client...
These speak to each other using a protocol, in this case the matrix protocol.
In short, Matrix.org having issues does not mean "the service" is down. It doesn't mean "Matrix" is "down". The federated network of instances can never be "down". All that happened is that this particular instance of matrix was down. Almost like if gmail was down/hacked. You'd still have your yahoos, your outlooks, your hotmails, your cock.lis, and so on.

This
My homeserver was completely unaffected and so were most other people I talk to
On the other hand, whenever Discord has an outrage (usualy 15 minutes to an hour), the entire thing doesn't work and can't talk to anyone
matrix.org is not worth using in the first place because it's way overloaded and slow, plus they plan to shut it down sometime in the future

matrix.org is one server and was compromised due to bad practice and a lack of security sense on top of an exploit in continuous integration. Other Matrix homeserver providers, like riot.kiwifarms.net and halogen.chat remained online and uncompromised. That's how a federation works. Get out of here with that weak shit OP.

You can run an instance of the frontend anywhere. I literally run my own instance of both matrix and riot and use it to hook it up to my friends' instance.

IRC bro

> discord alternative
> matrix
really makes you think how someone could make an alternative service to irc and for it to be much worse. only zoomer/millennial faggots can make that feat possible.

irc is still king, everything else is still absolute cancer. it truly is wonderful.

The irc channels ive been to are crazy dead. 9999 idle. The only exceptions are the servers for private trackers that haven't switched to dicksword.

depends on what your interest is and what network you're on. im in quite a few channels that have a minimum of 100 or more, though not everyone is active all the time (jobs, life etc.etc.) some of the busier channels have thousands, especially the file serving bot networks.
>The only exceptions are the servers for private trackers that haven't switched to dicksword.
they're not going to move to that shit-tier service because there is zero privacy and security and dicksword will be the first to hand over info to the cops if requested. any torrent site that isn't retarded will stick to using irc, preferably their own irc server or a torrent-site-friendly irc server.

who cares
why are you using matrix's own servers

IRC isn't federated and thus isn't relevant. We don't need more centralized networks these days, open protocols or not.

Abandonware garbage

This reminds me I should set up a Matrix server.

Any tips?

Its still self-hosted. I can make my own IRC server to communicate if I want to. Federation is just a neat feature.

Yes, but all other users also have to connect to it, which is quite unlike email, XMPP and Matrix and significantly less useful that way. I can expect an arbitrary user of the latter services to get a message no matter when I send it to them, while they have to be actively connected to your IRC server to get it there.

matrix.org/packages/debian/repo-key.asc

riot.im/packages/keys/riot.asc

Us this project dead?

IRC is garbage, may as well use a fucking email group
Fuck off boomer

aren't you supposed to host this shit yourself

Just use telegram, retards.

>not protocol
They didn't attack a spec in a text file.
>not clients
They didn't attack the individual apps running on peoples devices.
>just jenkins
The attack was on the main servers housing everyone's data/information.

You're subhuman garbage.

>The attack was on the main servers housing everyone's data/information.
No. Everyone's data and information is stored on the homeserver and Identity server they elect to use. If you do not have an account registered at matrix.org, you were not affected by the breach.

not encrypted

Shitcord sells your data to the highest bidder (WarnerMedia.)