IPS or VA, which is better?

IPS or VA, which is better?

Attached: 36ae253d_pb278q023.jpg (3264x1840, 1006K)

Other urls found in this thread:

prad.de/testberichte/test-aoc-ag273qcx-144-hz-mit-schneller-va-technologie/4/#Messungen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

IPS

TN

Which is more comfy for watching anime?

CRT

Attached: crt vs lcd.jpg (1149x1476, 710K)

I don't want to get brain cancer.

So clear, definitely worth being stuck at 1998 resolutions and weighing 40lbs.

>1998 resolutions
Okay brainlet

Attached: picture1.png (1920x1440, 1.43M)

definetly ips.
va is washed out and dark. it turns everything in a shitty hollywood action movie where 90% of the screen is black

>90% of the screen being grey is better

VA. You get proper colors.

No

logic.exe has stopped working

how are objectively less accurate colors "proper"?

OLED

the only thing va does better than ips is contrast aka black levels and less blb/glow. everything else is worse, pick whatever you want

TN

High quality / professional IPS displays have very controlled BLB, and allow for custom uniformity compensation.

has nobody in this thread heard of color calibration?

You can calibrate VA just like you would IPS and get similar results

not really, va covers less colors. if this was true, then you could also apply it to tn and all monitors would be identical.
but leaving jokes aside, i'm just sceptical to va because everyone recommends va over ips for tv and the samsung va tv that i bought looks absolutely horrible and i can't fix it with the available controls

I have a VA second monitor next to my IPS main one (However it's a very old IPS, Dell 3007 WFP). The black levels are great and the colours are pretty good (not as good as my IPS) but I hate this glow it has on bright colours. For example I can see a very faint aura around my mouse cursor, and it ghosts like a motherfucker too. When I scroll Jow Forums on the dark Tomorrow theme I can see dark grey smearing as the posts go up/down.

va for movies and if you don't need games

What if I don't care about meme refresh rates and just want immersion?

VA has gotten a hell of alot better in recent years (atleast in TVs)
pic related, cheap VA on left and LG 4k IPS on right

Attached: vaips.png (1619x1293, 839K)

>having a smooth image does nothing for immersion
yikes
get a big screen with high hz and highest ppi
most affordable is some 31.5" 144hz va or ultrawide

The primary issues with VA were angle-dependence and the very sluggish transitions between similar brightness states.

VA+QD film
Better colors than your typical IPS and with actual contrast ratio.

VA is better, end of the story.

Still though to say VA can't cover colors or can't be color accurate like an IPS is not always correct
>angle-dependence
I get you on that it'll probably never be solved but still better than ant TN I've seen
>very sluggish transitions
VA is also getting better in response times it's not quite as good as IPS but unless you have a slow motion camera you'll be hard pressed to be bothered or notice smearing or any other motion anomalies

>muh colors
>muh blacks
>muh viewing angles
They both suck. TN master race lol

Refresh rate is a meme, Lots of games cant even go over 60fps without issues. 60hz is fine

>very sluggish transitions between similar brightness states.
That only happens in transitions from black or other very low brightness because VA enters a very low power mode to achieve it. If you were to, for some reason, limit its brightness you'd end up with similar times to IPS, which is basically what response charts show

The idea that IPS somehow innately has better colors is just nonsense btw.

7-segment display

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

>Lots of games cant even go over 60fps without issues
idk what u are playing m8

The image itself already shows why VA is better.

But... Multi-layered IPS is great, and nanoIPS will be great.

Stop playing trash console ports and Bethesda games.

>it'll probably never be solved
Samsung already did, their VAs (AKA "SVA") displays have great color no matter the angle.

>he watches grayscale anime

Too bad you already did

Laser SXRD, you fucking plebs.

Attached: 77FBC584-C136-4758-A6DF-8C7BD4AB3014.jpg (1000x1000, 81K)

>1998 resolutions
>Okay brainlet
You can literally see the pixels in that screenshot of yours.

My next monitor is going to be VA because I hate washed out blacks. I'm currently using a 10 year old TN so it will probably be a huge improvement.

viewing angles don't matter on monitors, you aren't going to look at it from any direction but dead on in a home environment.
if it were a work environment where pair programming or similar is expected, or if it was a living room TV then it would matter.

>5k, 10k, and 35k
poorfags swerve

I'm on the samsung qled VA panel train

really curious to see how the CRG9 turns out with hdr1000

>if it was a living room TV then it would matter.
Whats real funny about that is the fact most all LCD TVs are VA
If the one occasion were viewing angles matter is in a living room it's awfully funny that a panel type that is criticized for it's viewing angles is what ends up being the most common in living rooms

>preteen

Attached: arrest_him.jpg (340x460, 41K)

Depends on whats important to you.
I don't game so I love VA panels. You get actual black levels, excellent viewing angles and reasonable colour reproduction. The downside is a slight ghosting issue but it beats the shitty backlight bleed and grey blacks of an IPS panel.

Attached: photo_2019-04-15_01-32-21.jpg (960x1280, 159K)

Good gaming VAs can achieve 1ms of input lag + a Prad latenz of 5.2ms . See prad.de/testberichte/test-aoc-ag273qcx-144-hz-mit-schneller-va-technologie/4/#Messungen
It is a German monitor site, but at least to my knowledge they are the best monitor review site on the net. And many of their diagrams are understandable even if you don't speak German. They test btw, gtg, ctc and input lag with different overdrive settings and Hz rates.
The above described Prad latenz is the avg. time of their gtg measurements + input lag. They also provide diagrams with all of their 15 gtg measurement times.

>IPS or VA, which is better?
VA 200hz monitors are the biggest fucking fraud.

Ghosting is everywhere.
What's even the purpose of VA? It has shit colors compared to IPS and if you want to have a "competitive" monitor with high Hz - just get a fucking TN.

Did you never hear about tftcentral?

>I will spend a grand on a monitor but not a tenth of that on a reusable colorimeter, the board.

Why yes, I do use TN panels, how'd you know?

Attached: 834.png (687x768, 229K)

Is it impossible to find a 4k IPS

You say that but the edges of the screen literally look different from the center because of how limited the viewing angles on VA are. That to me is not acceptable.

yes

Because you're too busy at the gym or monitoring diet to be concerned about computers. TN is trash that only gets used because it's cheap.

which type is the best then user

Every LCD panel type has its pros and cons. There is no "best" - just "best at."

Okay which do you use and why

General rule is
>Content creation: IPS
>Content consumption: VA

VA can also easily cover 95%+ of DCI-P3, but for professional colour work you don't want the gamma to change based on viewing angle.

IPS, because I mostly use it for desktop and occasionally content creation. Blacks and contrast ratio suck though, and IPS glow is bothersome, so it's doesn't make for a great gaming or movie-watching monitor.

I'm probably gonna get one curved va and two ips ones

Just be aware that VA often has issues with smearing on dark transitions, as well as black crush (dark details get lost because near black looks black). The ideal media consumption display would be OLED, but we're not quite there yet for desktop-sized screens, unfortunately.

I'll remember that thanks for being cool user

Both shit. There are no good display technologies, it's all about compromises.
Selective backlight high end IPS panels seem to be the best pick, but they are expensive.

FALD is a kludge, a bandaid on a fundamentally flawed technology, and is not without its downsides. Blooming, namely, because the number of dimming zones is far, far less than the number of pixels, so when you have small point sources of light like stars or text or a mouse cursor on a black background you get a pretty distracting blooming effect around them. Good algorithms and a VA panel can mitigate this, but until they get up into the hundreds of thousands of dimming zones (as opposed to the hundreds currently) it will still be a problem.

Most CRTs went up to 1280x1024, for consumer grade tier. Pro tier had these triniton that are really expensive now because of these resolutions that compete with current ones. A friend who is really into retro has a lot of monitors/TVs that can't even get 1280 (mostly because he needs specific Hz and such).

CRT

>stuck at 1998 resolutions
Not true for all CRTs.
>and weighing 40lbs.
Don't be a s o y b o y and this won't be an issue.

IPS if you're a fucking virgin living in a mom's basement.
VA if you're based and redpilled.

>not 2048x1536
i hope that it's because of low refresh rate, user

>Most CRTs went up to 1280x1024
This were the cheap tier. 1600x1200 wasn't even pro tier, very common in 19" and even some 17", meanwhile most 17"-19" LCD are 1600x900 or less.
A bit more rare were the 2048x1536 monitors at 85hz but not so much, LCDs were the ones that struggled for years to get high refresh rates mainting high resolutions, not CRTs.

But what made CRTs "Pro" wasn't the resolution, but actually being high quality in their building, image quality and not murdering (so much) your eyes, like some high end Trinitrons for example.

Unless you're using a $2000 Ezio monitor, IPS monitors have absolute shit uniformity and blacks. "IPS" for consumer monitors is a giant marketing meme.

Attached: va vs ips.jpg (1024x390, 29K)

Back around that time I had a friend who bought surplus CRT's from the government. Several 21 inch models capable of doing 2560x1600 and a 30 inch monstrosity that could do the same.
He paid 50 bucks for the pallet they were on. Unfortunately they were all used until death.

>"IPS" for consumer monitors is a giant marketing meme
Fucking this
I swear monitor OEMs do more than to make sure they can get IPS in the item description then they do actually making sure they give you a good panel

Just looking at that second image I can smell the static off the screen. Probably why I'm posting on Jow Forums now.

>twingo
abs/o/lutely based

>twingo
>abs/o/lutely based
:3

Attached: reply.png (400x400, 60K)

Personally I use VA because of the blacks, if you do color sensitive work though IPS is your thing.
Fuck TN.

Attached: twingoooooo.jpg (2000x3000, 1.05M)

>plush twingo
>sony vaio

I'm sorta jelly

Attached: veryfasttwingo.jpg (478x468, 32K)

microLED cant get here fast enough.

VA masterrace. Just stay clear of junk monitors and you will have minimal smearing and ghosting.

IPS+ATW Polarizer

>Is it impossible to find a 4k IPS

You are fucking stupid, only contrast is better on VA but the colors are much worse compared to IPS.
VA panels have severe ghosting problems so enjoy it as well, dumbass.

>Crushes your blacks in blurry motion and shit font rendering

Not eating bananas or flying in airplanes would be more effective than avoiding CRTs. Both of those expose you to more radiation than using a CRT all day every day.

Generalizations about panel types made years ago don’t apply much anymore dumbass
VA has gotten good while IPS has gone down the shitter due to race to the bottom bullshit
This post shows that when you pit possibly the lowest end 4K VA TV worth buying vs an LG 4K monitor, the shitty TV has better color accuracy both before AND after calibration and while not shown in the pic if you look at rtings.com at both models you find the VA TV even has slightly better DCI P3 coverage

not much of an issue anymore on modern panels

>VA has gotten good
Stopped reading there.

>not much of an issue anymore on modern panels

The C24fg70, MSI c24g1 and shit like those panels are shit

Any samsung monitor VA is generally shit.

C24G1 is among the best VA monitors you can get if you don't want to drown in ghosting and black smearing.

I still use a Dell U3011 IPS from 2012. Modern VAs are great, aside from the slow as fuck grey to grey transition rate. Dark scenes still have too much motion blur for my liking.

For reference.

Attached: C24G1-blur-144Hz.png (1800x800, 661K)

If you want to live in a world where IPS is the only decent option for a display, Fine but some of us would like some other options especially in this stagnant monitor market

any good va then?

someone added me to their collar what do I do now

wow wrong channel