Tell me what you miss here and why some would invest time and effort on learning vim or emacs

Tell me what you miss here and why some would invest time and effort on learning vim or emacs.

Attached: Visual_Studio_Code_Keyboard_Shortcuts_Windows.png (1882x1424, 664K)

Other urls found in this thread:

joshwolfe.ca/post/emacs-for-csharp/),
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Emacs works with every language and toolkit imaginable, including .NET (joshwolfe.ca/post/emacs-for-csharp/), and is portable across numerous different operating systems. Why should I use VS over it?
Keep in mind that not everyone is familiar with VS's keybindings, which means it's also a learning experience.

>Tell me what you miss here
Macro record and macro play and replay

>and why some would invest time and effort on learning vim or emacs.
Why should I invest time and effort on learning visual studio when I already know vim?

I don't like having to press multiple buttons at the same time for simple commands. Sometimes it's fine but you're so much more flexible with vim keybindings. Though you can also get them in other editors via plugins and the like, I guess.

As portable as VS Code

In my opinion vim keybinding isn't too intuitive...

sorry, it's impossible, they are both just hipster memes

vim and emacs are missing 6-10gb install

>Why should I invest time and effort on learning visual studio when I already know vim?

Stupid argument but ok

VS Code is a telemetry botnet and Electron software is a sad joke.

No keybindings are. A lot of vim users brag about mnemonic keybindings but imo that's just bull. But you're going to have learn some anyway and you should at least have something short and efficient.

you can just disable it

problems with vscode:
- bloat
- lag
- tasks are bullshit, just let me write a shell script
- themes are a nightmare and you just give up and edit one that already exists as an extension you have downloaded
the design choice of eschewing project files in favour of just browsing to a directory and storing metadata there is sound, but the fact it's an electron app means it's always going to suffer the first two problems

haha a vimtard whining about keyboard shortcuts

You need to know basic vim if you log into any Unix system. I even use it in Windows (Git Bash) to edit my commit messages.
But you have to be a retard to install 50 plugins from 50 different random people to build a ghetto IDE with Vim and pretend you're more productive than using Qt Creator or CLion (or whatever is the equivalent for your language).

Not a modal editor so it's missing VIM's dot command aka repeat last command.

except you can repeat whatever in vscode

How does it know what to repeat?

You can't disable the fact that you are using an entire fucking web browser as a text editor. Emacs was only bloated in the 90s, by modern standards it's a lightweight program.

how do you fucking think jesus jfucjkng chrsit

I don't think you know what I'm talking about.

guarantee i've used vim longer than you

Then it should be obvious that it isn't clear, you go into insert mode and do something, then you leave it and now you can repeat what you last did in insert mode with a single press of a button. How would you do that with an editor that isn't modal? No macros allowed since we're talking about a simple repeat last command.