Is crossfire worth it?

I've been running the RX480 for the past few years and am now looking for an upgrade. Online I read a lot of mixed opinions. Do you have any experience with crossfire? Should I just buy a new card or crossfire?

Attached: AMD-Radeon-RX-480-CrossFire-Ashes-of-Singularity_1.jpg (2000x1333, 559K)

yea also got rx 480 cf before the mining craze
it is just hit or miss with game compatibility, its hot and noisy
i sold it and got myself one 1080ti

Attached: specs.png (866x629, 51K)

How are there still people out there who don't know that multi-GPU is horrible? Truly boggles the mind.

-Game compatibility is AIDS as developers don't care about optimising for multi-GPU because no one has multi-GPU
-Games with multi-GPU support are usually poor implementations and have stuttering

Almost certainly not.

>-Game compatibility is AIDS as developers don't care about optimising for multi-GPU because no one has multi-GPU
I know it's not without it's flaws, but it's sort of a thing where the positives outweigh the negatives.
The main factor that tempts me into buying a second 480 is that second hand they are dirt cheap, about 100 euro's, whereas a gtx 1070 sets me back about 350 in my country

There are no positives to multi-GPU. Don't do it unless you want to be disappointed. Wait for Navi if you want an upgrade.

Did it back when it was anew thing. It was alright. If i was you I'd give it a try just for shits and giggles.

Buy the better card, then sell yours for 100 euros. now you only spent 100 more for a card that will make up for it in energy savings within a year.

I tried it. It didn't improve things much, while making some far far worse, and came with all manner of problems to get games to play nice with it. That was when it first came out or a couple years after. I'd just buy a better card than to do crossfire.

Don't do it, it's awful. Hot, noisy, power inefficient and what do you get for putting up with all of that? Worse performance than a single card of equal value on average and a bunch of new technical issues you didn't have before.
The only situation you should EVER go multi-gpu is if you own the fastest card on the market and you want even more e-peen while being aware that you're basically throwing your money down the drain for a paperweight that is only good for benchmarking.

Attached: museum of trash.jpg (355x400, 29K)

Actually what most people don't realize is that most video cards only support 4 CRTCs (monitors) so people that want to use more than 4 displays would need to get another video card to do so. That being said they would likely get something cheap alongside their better card if they were going AMD,

You should see if the games you play support crossfire or not, then decide if a second gpu will work for you.

t. bought a second 390 cheap as fuck only to find like 1 game works with crossfire properly (gta v, seriously hoping rdr2 comes soon so I can stretch these gpu's legs)

Most Nvidia gpu's you mean, pretty much every AMD card with GCN 2 onwards supports 6 monitors, depending on port configuration of course.

Not crossfire. The RX580 is currently *the* best bang for buck AMD card out.

The RX580 is only marginally better performance than the RX480. Waste of money if yours is okay.

Vega 56 is starting to get affordable, you might be able to find one for ~$300, which costs too much, but you'll definitely see a performance boost.

Honestly, green team is looking pretty hot right now if you can afford an RTX card. Particularly, the Geforce RTX 2060 selling for $350, cant go wrong.

IF you have the money just buy a fucking 2080 TI

I think some newer models have more CRTCs. My RX 560 or whatever the fuck I have has 5 CRTCs, but I think 2 of them are for use with DisplayPort MST.
It's a pretty niche thing to have so many monitors attached to the same computer, though.

Fucking do it OP.
If you give a shit about raw perf only, CF 480s can outperform a 1080. If you'll play games, fuck off from this board, but if you're using it for computing, just pray the Mama Su will deliver drivers.

I had it work well in Skyrim for example. Which was nice for heavy modding. But it's fairly hit or miss. (Good on Fallout 4 also at 5870x1080)

Don't bother on Linux at all. It won't.

CROSSFIRE
YOU GET CAUGHT UP IN IT

Would it be possible to dedicate one graphics card specifically for gaming, but use a weaker card for auxiliary tasks, like YouTube?

Got a second GTX 770 after owning one for a few years and my frame rates almost doubled in every game

never experienced any one these problems

wtf am I reading in this thread? AMD's multi-gpu support is that shitty?

Get gtx 1660, save the ~$50 and overclock to match 1660ti/1070 speeds. New Turing architecture for better 'raytracing' gimmicky shit performance. They just released drivers so all gtx cards down to 1060 6Gb can 'raytrace.' fairly cheap starting at $219.99 USD.

Move your game to the monitor on that GPU.

If you use GNU/Linux is even better yet, just plug in any secondary GPU, attach monitors to it and the OS will automatically pick them up, all the rendering is done by the primary GPU.
>t. Workstation haa 6 monitors with RX470 + GT630

>'raytrace.'
>Hur, algorithms don't function unless they has dedicated acceleration hardware that makes them 'real'

>win 10
>32gb ram
>5 HDDs all not exceeding 3tb
>gayming mobo
>1080ti

I hope someone necklaces your whole family then beheads you

I ran CF until 2016, so I don't have very recent experience, but in 2016 it was quite terrible and had been getting worse for a few years at that point. Compatibility with games was terrible and AMD was very slow to release profiles, which sometimes were released broken and weren't fixed even months later. I don't know what it's like right now, but games have been getting even less friendly with AFR multi-GPU setups, so I can only imagine it's even worse. I know this because I ran SLI from 2016 up until a couple of months ago and in 2016 SLI was in much better shape than CF.

I would not advise going for CF at all. You will be disappointed with game compatibility and also with scaling in some of the games which even work in the first place. The software support isn't there from the game/engine dev side most of the time, with some modern game engines (or some of their features) being inherently unfriendly to AFR. In my experience AMD does not invest significant resources into making CF work well and even if they did, in more than a few titles there may simply be nothing they can do as the game may be fundamentally incompatible without intervention from the actual devs (which most likely will never come).

>AMD's multi-gpu support is that shitty?
Not just CrossFire. Multi GPU across the board is garbage. This is known fact.

Someone's jelly.

My first and last crossfire was with HD6850s 10 years ago. Simply put you do nothing with more power if it's not handled. They were replaced by a 290x that's still going stronk.

>5 HDDs
What are you even saying, user? It's 3 hard drives, 2 SSDs.
If you're going to meme about her storage, at least refer to them as a USB or some other dumb shit meme name.

Attached: 1449202804895.png (578x712, 38K)

Just get 1 powerful gpu, save yourself the headaches.

I only have 1 1TB M2 drive now. rest of my shit is locked away with the NSA and Microshit.

love it.

this but SATA M.2 1TB SSD (was cheaper than the 7.5" variant), and >google

CROOSSSSS FYYYYAAAAAAA

Fuck no.
FUCK NO.

I only had one game that worked ok, and it was The Witcher 3, and even that one I had issues each time I switched Crossfire on and off.

Such a waste of time, and then you go and look for answers at forums and you find a bunch of people just complaining about the developer not properly supporting crossfire and you end up just angry.

Im wondering if people are just talking out their ass and going with what the crowd says by saying Crossfire is garbage or if they actually tried it before.

I actually was testing Crossfire on multiple games and about 80% of the time it works.

Fallout 4
Planet Coaster
GTA 5
Civilization 6
Doom
Shadow Warrior 2
Tomb raider series
The Forest
Dying Light
Dragon Ball Fighterz
Steep
Outlast series
Dark Souls 3
Scum
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Hunt Showdown
Dragon Quest XI
PubG
FrostPunk
Nioh
Battlefield 5

and couple other games i can't remember at the top of my head.

I honestly think it works decently, but its alot noiser and uses more more power.
If you have an extra card laying around then its a good idea to Crossfire, but too actually go out and buy an additional card too Crossfire? Might be better just to sell your card and just buy the latest card, but its not as bad as all these sheeps are making it out too be.

Pic related my setup.

Attached: 20190409_164130.jpg (1436x1077, 391K)

Unironically the few games I've played in recent times (Borderlands 2, Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, Dying Light, GTA5, just to name a few), I've not had issues with Crossfire on my 2x RX 580's. One Asus Strix, one MSI Gaming X, both overclocked to match at 1600MHz core, 8200MHz memory (Not too bothered to OC memory by much more).
The only game I've had to disable Crossfire for was Doom 2016, and even then it runs perfectly fine on even a single RX 580 at maxed settings.
Ryzen 5 1400 running at a measly 3700MHz, with 2x8GB 2666MHz 14-15-15-29 1T memory.
Got the MSI model on launch, because I liked how cool they tended to run, then got the Asus model from a friend who was selling off his computer for parts, got it for ~$110 USD. Both 8GB models.

everything about this post reeks of reddit

Attached: 1548644871755-g.jpg (1538x783, 150K)

the dual gpu meme is over

Spotted an AyyMDpoorfag

Thx for proving the post, nigger.

your right i should just call him a faggot and post some meme

KC:D worked fine for you in crossfire? what are your cards?

Raging AMD pajeet. Stay mad poorfag. So sad that AMD has no answer to the 8700K and 2080 Ti. Sad!

I don't need that shit faggot. I already have a 2970X running Gentoo.

Attached: 233051d85855832e17afc54d614439e5.jpg (305x446, 19K)

Stop lying poorfag. You have a Pentium 4.

Someone's jelly.

I was primarily pointing out that you can get 1070 performance for a very cheap entry level price, I never said I was for raytracing, If you could understand by me saying it was 'gimmicky shit'. I tested it out on my 1080 and I still get decent frames on low. It is a nice added visiual on single player stuff, but for multiplayer it is worthless. I'm not playing multiplayer for the graphics.

Also, where is AMD with any advancements in consumer graphics?

>The Witcher 3,
This has insane microstutter on my set up, I actually get a more stable framerate with crossfire off for some reason.

>I actually get a more stable framerate with crossfire off for some reason.
How do you not know the reason? It's because multi-GPU is dogshit.

This chokes the top GPU because Pajeet couldn't make it a few mm thinner to allow for adequate airflow.