Am I the only person who doesn't enjoy smartphones anymore? Like, what's the point? They're getting faster and faster...

Am I the only person who doesn't enjoy smartphones anymore? Like, what's the point? They're getting faster and faster, but they can't replace even the most basic functionalities of your average $400 office pc from retail while costing double or triple the price. Their cameras can barely compete with even entry level digital cameras, mostly due to lack of stabilization and camera options. Games are also complete trash due to lack of developer support/shitty ports and the touchscreen itself. All those dreams of docked smartphones replacing PCs won't happen either. Have we reached smartphone limbo?

Attached: 1524066229411.jpg (657x527, 47K)

I never liked them to begin with.

All they've ever done is hurt my eyes and distract me

Your problem is you're thinking of them as computers. They're pretty abysmal computers. You need to start thinking them as multi-tools. Watch-phone-calculator-notepad-gps-videoplayer-mp3player-SolitaireGame-instantmessanger-weatherradar-cameras.

And stop buying top-of-the-line. That's pointless.

Well, I was considering the direction they're trying to go in now...
Also all those functions basically peaked like 3-4 years ago anyway. Phones like the Samsung Galaxy S6, Sony Xperia Z5, iPhone 6s etc. were when smartphones peaked in my opinion

new phones are useless consumer bait but too many people are phone zombies and need to constantly check social media

This, although you sound like a boomer my friend.
Also companies stop making real technological progress on them. There isn't really worthy on them now.

you're not alone user

I really hope the Librem 5 takes off

I, too, haven't enjoyed smartphones in years.
They are computers. They use an ARMv7 or AArch64 architecture and a Linux kernel. The reason you can't use them like one is that the OEMs keep all hardware support heavily reliant on proprietary binary blobs and version-specific kernel drivers that only run on 7 year old kernels.

Modern smartphones are fucking cancer. I hate them with a burning passion.

I feel the same way, I've stopped thinking of them as pocket computers and instead consider them crippled embedded devices.

I used to be all over Android back in the CM7 days, constantly trying out new things and tweaking. The hardware has got so heavily consumerism and Android is getting so childproofed that its just boring.

I cannot wait for Librem 5.

Attached: startac-meme.jpg (960x1280, 113K)

A toaster is a computer. Just because smartphones are computers doesn't mean you should expect the same quality of software as you get in workboxes. Speaking as someone who has dabbled in Mobile software development years ago (in one of my will THIS get me hired phases), you can EASILY write very good software for a phone. It's just not profitable because nobody uses their phone that way. And the kind of people who write good software just for the hell of it have a pathological hatred of phones and tablets.

That said, companies do make VERY GOOD mobile software for in-house use, so that their mobile operators have a mobile command center.

if you don't have a facebook, instagram, twitter, iMessage, facetime, snapchat and whatsapp all accessible in your pocket how do you expect to communicate with others and be a productive member of society???

>They're pretty abysmal computers.
The only reason they're abysmal computers is because they are designed to feel like toys. You can't even do anything fun with them because they're smooth featureless rectangles that make playing games painful.

The only reason they're designed to feel like toys is because consumers want them to be toys. Software defines a device and what's holding back software is not phone manufacturers, but software developers. Because no one is interested in "amazing phone tech." If they want to get engrossed into something, they'll use a real computer.

You're right! Brb gotta give all my personal data to Mr Goldberg

Honestly if I could get a military grade dumb-phone that could handle a basic slack client, that would be enough for me. I'd pay out the ass for something like that

Please join this thread we need more dumbphone bros

I like having a smartphone for managing texts, contacts, making calls and reading email and maybe a news article here and there on the go. That's why I have pic related, it's small, feels good in the hand and does everything I need it to while still including an average camera that I can use to take pictures of shit like serial keys, model numbers etc.

Attached: 1551682305987.jpg (248x212, 19K)

Looks like you grew up or finally hit the tripple digit iq figures.

Yes the smartphones get faster and faster and it doesn't matter since the tasks don't fucking evolve in the slightest.

You cant do anything more useful than shitposting and chicking google maps with a smartphone.
The cameras are and will always be shit due to fundamental optics.

So stop enjoying the smartphones, get a 200$ chinkphone and enjoy something else with the money you saved.

Also glass backs, curved screens and thin bezels are invented just to make sure it breaks to death once you drop it.

You cant work with any serious software using a tiny touchscreen, no keyboard and no mouse.

A smartphone is pretty much a powerful linux computer, and you could run something cool on it except the input and output devices are so shit you chose not to.

>A toaster is a computer. Just because smartphones are computers doesn't mean you should expect the same quality of software as you get in workboxes
/thread

Mobile dev here. I quite enjoy smartphones. But they are fundamentally incapable of certain things because of the limitations of being a literal hand size phone:
>6 inch screen
>no peripherals
>no optical zoom cameras
These things don't exist for a lack of technological advancements, they don't exist because no one wants this shit in a phone.
There's a pretty mature market for generic accessories like camera lenses, stabilizers, etc. Google pretty much has a monopoly with the software side of things on their pixel devices which rely on dedicated camera processors. LG use to be pretty close although I haven't seen their software in a while.

phones suck

>They are computers. They use an ARMv7 or AArch64 architecture and a Linux kernel. The reason you can't use them like one is that the OEMs keep all hardware support heavily reliant on proprietary binary blobs and version-specific kernel drivers that only run on 7 year old kernels.
it's a reason but not the main one

>Your problem is you're thinking of them as computers. They're pretty abysmal computers. You need to start thinking them as multi-tool
yes they are portable multifunction tools. they do many things well, none quite perfectly (nothing like a landline, an actual wired internet connection, a DSLR, a desktop PC, etc)

the top reason why smartphones can not displace PCs at this point is because of input. You can't type as fast without a keyboard and no one has solved the input problem. keyboards are huge (relative to phone size). voice recognition is still slow. once we have something that can input and edit as fast as a keyboard, you'll be able to type long essays or code your open-source projects like on a PC.

Attached: brando-standhub-4.jpg (1024x513, 106K)

poor frogposter

They should be better at interacting with computers, though. Major example - in 2019 I cannot simply transfer a file from my Windows PC via Bluetooth to my iPhone, and then from my iPhone to elsewhere. I have to go through fucking iTunes to transfer things and that's a complex bitch. It's at the point now where if I 'scan' something with my phone's scanner app - I end up having to upload it to Google Drive, then hop on Google Drive on my computer, even those my phone has Bluetooth and even though my computer has Bluetooth. This is 2019!!!!

as i grew older i kind of hate smartphone especially for typing my thumbs are too big and smartphone that like the size of your palm is fucking retarded.
and 90% of your smartphone features is for social media bullshit
gps, camera, and music player kind of nice though it helps a lot

frogposting is cancer

>mostly due to lack of stabilization and camera options
They mostly can't compete because of the tiny as shit sensor and optics.
So phone manufacturers cope by using all kind of software tricks and you end up with the abomination in pic related.

Attached: shittyness.jpg (570x477, 58K)

>Their cameras can barely compete with even entry level digital cameras, mostly due to lack of stabilization and camera options.

Are you insane? Most phones out perform any entry level point and shoot below 300$. The camera(s) on mid to high end smartphones is one of the most competitive markets in tech and the performance in their sensors and software is incredible to the point where full movies are shot on smartphones and you can’t even tell.

>better at interacting with computers
Everything you can do, a virus can also do. The masses who just browse instagram/crapbook would get even more assfucked with all the malware in their phones when they go near their PC at home running stock win10 with all interfaces open and listening by default because they don't know how to secure anything. Then you have an infection vector wreaking havoc near any unprotected PC and google/apple would take heat for spreading viruses, so they would en up like now, locked down.

Very good point. You don't expect to browse the internet on an air conditioning thermostat, or have a command line on a modern car, or ssh into traffic lights. I'm a nerd and I would like to use a powerful smartphone if there were well maintained public keyboards/mice/screens in libraries or offices. Sadly, equipment in libraries is just barely holding up so I lug my laptop. If it were even possible on a controlled environment like an office, one would have to fight the whole philosophy of the OS to run well designed and powerful apps there, and who would write/maintain them? Also, the platform makes no economic sense for companies; the phones are impossible to upgrade, and there is no 'enterprise' warranty, or any assurances that two years from now the manufacturer will hace stock ready for you to replace broken phones. The alternative, buying new phones, means rewriting apps in part at least, with makes even less economic sense, because well done apps are expensive. If you want to use the phones on the go, there should be a 'mobile view' of the powerful apps. That's not possible since you would be going from a 22" monitor to a 5" one, with poor input, no peripherals, poor network, insecure network (airports and cafes yay, no office LAN), etc. Some things can be done, adapting to screen size, but it takes quality work and good design.

Smartphones makes sense for me as notepads.

fpbp

>Everything you can do, a virus can also do. The masses who just browse instagram/crapbook would get even more assfucked with all the malware in their phones when they go near their PC at home running stock win10 with all interfaces open and listening by default because they don't know how to secure anything. Then you have an infection vector wreaking havoc near any unprotected PC and google/apple would take heat for spreading viruses, so they would en up like now, locked down.

But I mean I can't even send a fricking .jpg or .png or .txt straight from my iPhone to my Windows PC using bluetooth. Is there really any threat of viruses from allowing this?

lmao at all you bugment with your shitty "smart"phones

so brave

I'm starting to hate smartphones. HATE THEM.
I usually go note series because I get a lot of usage out of having a stylus. I "upgraded" from
A note 4 to a Note 9. The button to turn off location data (which is moreorless a placebo anyway)
had been moved much much deeper into the menu on the 9, While you can change it back I found it a sinister change indicative of whats to come.

Maps started asking me HOW MUCH I LIKED THE SUPERMARKET whenever I went shopping. Apps started dropping notifications and demanding my attention whenever they wanted. Every other week google gives me a popup asking me to sign up to whatever latest feature they're mining my privacy with this time.

I know phones are little electronic Judases that constantly spy on us everywhere but fuck guys. Can you at least let me PRETEND I have some privacy anymore? Please? Just the ILLUSION would be nice. They don't even have the decency to fucking hide it anymore.

Watching technology become more powerful and useful was fun when I thought of it as having a star trek communicator in my pocket, but every passing week it feels like a little black box that robs me of my human dignity, lowers my sperm count and will someday give me brain cancer.

Hate. HATE.

Attached: fluoride_stare.jpg (1123x1091, 244K)

iToddlers BTFO!

Attached: iToddlers BTFO!.gif (500x500, 255K)

I'm actually grateful that they plateaued. It means I can keep using my 5 year old phone with no incentive to spend money on a new model. It gets minor stuff done in a pinch and it does a pretty good job as a camera and GPS navigation, but I still do everything else on the desktop.

Why do you need them to replace PCs?

cant you just turn off internet? Or just install custom rom and shit?

KDE connect is based. Not something for a simple iToddler though. Normies are cucked

Attached: 1552521581482.png (512x424, 214K)

You are being overly dramatic. Privacy is a valid concern, but other than that smartphones aren't that bad.
Why do so many people blame all their problems on tech? You would have the same problems (except the privacy problem) without them.
Also why do people like to talk about Star Trek or flying cars all the time? It really is an irrelevant point.

You really expect too much from phones. It seems that you have bought into the hype too much.
Smartphones are what they are and they are good at that. Instead of being sad that 1000$ phones are hardly more useful than 200$ chink phones, you should be happy that you can get a decent phone for that low price.

When the standard PC OSes will ask you "do you want to automatically accept and open all files received from anywhere with the (recommended) application? Also execute exes? and never have to change this setting again? presenting it with a big, green, friendly button that says "Yes of course! I'm a normal person!" that covers half the screen, and a grey, small, hidden button that you have to scroll to see that says "Not this time maybe, because I'm an incel and a loser"?, yes, there are security concerns.

a toaster does not make any computations, all it's functions are purely mechanical.

expecting smartphones to be usable for work tasks is not unreasonable considering that modern smartphones have more computational power than even high end PC's in the late 90's, heck, modern smartphones are more powerful than what passed for a supercomputer back then, the ones used to launch satellites.

that said, you can actually perform a shit ton of tasks on an android if you simply take the time to search for the required apps, you can do word processing, data entry, photo/video editing, you can even set up remote desktop connections from your phone to your PC and the latency is surprisingly low, also if you need to compile some basic C++ or something you can port Ubuntu Touch and sideload it.

Except they don't

just use classic phone like i do

They're trying to do this now as they have tried in the past. Remember Continuum? We now have Samsung's DeX, and it's just as useless and limited

I can't believe people take iphones seriously when they can barely interact with your PC. That's always been a deal killer for me even if the phone was free.

>buys applel
>expects functionality
A-user, I can't...

Yes,
Smartphone is kind of so so, they are great for watching animu while lying down and that's it.
They can never replicate the feelings deep in my heart when this become my 1st phone.
Calling and texting and listen to mp3 used to be so fun.
But I don't blame smartphone, Internet addiction just ruined everything

Attached: 4072-Nokia5300XpressMusic03-1.jpg (310x500, 28K)

>Samsung's DeX
Well ok, but personally I am not disappointed that it doesn't really work that well.
As long as I can still buy desktops and laptops I am good.

Continuum was going to be great. Microsoft developed an x86 compatibility layer for Windows Phone. Then Intel threatened to sue them and Microsoft killed the project as a result.

There's literally no relevant difference between the iPhone 4 I used to have, the models you mentioned, and the latest smartphones

I never enjoyed them.

Nothing Shitsoft makes is great. It would have been a disaster that would have served them exclusively. Don't be so naive with MS, it's been a long time dealing with them.

More storage for videos and music, bigger screens, better cameras. That's about it

It would have served them exclusively but it would have been great. They showed a demo on YouTube of how well it ran with different legacy applications.

I don't get new phones either. Like anyone needs an 8 core CPU and 8 gbs of RAM just to look at Facehook or Chitter whilst they're on the go.

You can sort of turn them into shitty light weight, low power, small form factor computers like a memeberry Pi though. I did this with an Xperia Z3C recently.

Rooted it, put Ubuntu on it through Linux Deploy, compiled kernel and loaded more kernel modules. It has all the USB serial modules now and you can plug various shit, like Arduino, into it via a USB OTG cable.

If you can get the framebuffer working you can also attach it to an external monitor using MHL and use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Well, a yt demo! That changes everything!!!11

But seriously, I think this is never going to happen. The Year Of Linux Desktop(TM) never catches on because it's voluntary work. It can never keep up with the megabucks apple and M$ commit to just making hardware drivers for absolutely everything. Now picture M$ or apple pledging to support the cancerous clusterfuck that is the phone "ecosystem", with chinese putting devices together faster than anyone can write/test/support drivers.

Phones are half-cooked gadgets. Great processing power/ram/screens, abysmal input, no professional software, no upgrade path, therefore you are doomed to consume on them, but not create. They are the new TV. This works for the sheep out there, so expect more, not less.

Also I think phones are a transitional format. What I want is a display in front of me that I can switch on and off blinking, that tracks my gaze and can read gestures or get some input from me without making me look minority report.