What is your opinion on Lineage OS?

What is your opinion on Lineage OS?
Is it worth installing?
Is it a surefire way to escape the google botnet?

Attached: lineage-OS-download.jpg (696x387, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

grapheneos.org/
lineage.microg.org/
invidio.us/watch?v=lVIHuC6v39E
e.foundation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lineage is worth it for removing all the bloat on your phone alone. Camera quality will undoubtedly suffer though, since all cameras have proprietary drivers and Lineage's OS are iffily reverse engineered.

I installed it earlier it's pretty good i'm just kinda pissed that there's still some bloat you can't uninstall like their browser

My banking app refuses to start on it. Stupid fucking Osuuspankki, it's not even rooted because I'm a useless fag but at least not a complete buttfucking retard like homos who make that Pivo app who think new rom + dev mode = epik black hat hack.

It's currently the best option because CopperheadOS died and Replicant only works on decade old phones. This is definitely the next big thing, though: grapheneos.org/

Pivo on ihan paskaa. Käytä OP-mobiilia, ei kitise tyhjästä.

What's the browser? I guess it makes sense, you need a default to fall back on if there's nothing else.

Using it on my Redmi Note 4 for 2 years now, will keep for as long as this phone lives. Pretty minimal stock Android-like, updates on the fly and rarely breaks. Makes you forget it's a custom ROM really.

On pocophone gcam works which has higher quality than the default camera.

depends on the maintainer, but works great on the three Redmi 4X within the family

this

Attached: 1544578085973.png (300x250, 19K)

is the best ROM I've tried on my OP3T, it comes with very little bloat.
You can completely ignore Google's app store if you want with opengapps, which is where most of the botnet comes from.
Tho you're still using something made by google, so there's probably something embedded in the OS that's botnet.

Attached: ln.png (1057x668, 43K)

why have postmarketOS frens unsucceded in mainlining linux into the phones?

Attached: postmarketos-linux-distro.jpg (900x506, 59K)

why tho?
the site and the git seems kind of lonely

maybe even abandoned, and also, very little contributors

>banking app not working

This is the most stupidest shit banks pull off
>use same phone
>open browser tab
>enter online banking

Banks are fucking stupid

awesome, i also have a redmi note 4 and i'm tired of xiaomi's bullshit
every time i install something, xiaomi "scans" the app for viruses and shows some ads
music app shows ads
you need to accept privacy agreement to use their fucking calculator
no app drawer, everything sits on the desktop like a fucking iphone
i think i'll install lineage on as soon as i can, can't take this shit anymore

You didn't even install a custom launcher ? Using miui completely stock is torture.

Install w/ Microg. No Gapps, use F-Droid, or Yalp only if needed.

>What is your opinion on Lineage OS?
Generally pretty good, will vary with the implementation
>Is it worth installing?
Is your phone still on warranty? Do your phone have some features (e.g. Samsung Pay) that will get fucked by flashing custom roms? If no, then I'd say it's worth just for the experience.
Is the stock rom shitty? Do you want to have some privacy while on your phone? If yes, then try it anyways.
>Is it a surefire way to escape the google botnet?
I'd recommend using it with xposed and going absolutely Google-less, may not be a surefire way, but if you read the code and understand it you'll have much more control and knowledge about what's going on with your data than just using the stock rom. Remember that phones probably have a backdoor somewhere tho, don't rely too much on them.

Isn't microg just a glorified placebo though? You're still using google which means you're still training their services.
>inb4 hurr they don kno its u

It gives new life to my old OG mipad. Pretty good i think. But sometimes my mipad restarting by its own.

No, you're now no longer running Google botnet frameworks on your device but apps requiring them can still function. This isn't about "using" Google, it's that Google mandates developers use their proprietary libraries to access their ecosystem.
The end goal of course is to avoid any programs which require them in the first place, but since Play Services is so integrated with Android, it's difficult even for FOSS developers much less normal app developers. If you don't use any apps which require such integration, you don't need MicroG either.

It's good but the default apps are as shit as stock android ones. It's kinda getting pointless for new devices because of GSI, but it does have some nice features which stock android doesn't. They should also make a GSI fork.
Using it on a Galaxy S5. I assume it will be supported for at least another major version which is great because the phone is already 5 years old.

You can uninstall their garbage through adb.

>dropped support for Moto X Pure
welp

Why the fuck everyone seems to forget every version of LOS for every single fucking device is different because >muh device tree
on one device the camera blob might be just thrown together by a bunch of pajeets while on another, they can just use the absolutely proprietary blob from the stock rom (my phone does this).
it all depends on which pajeet maintains the LOS build for your phone and what phone it even is. Pixel 3 is cucked beyond repair by google not wanting you to leave it's hellish data hoarding eco system so of course the camera barely fucking works on custom roms, but mid range phones no one cares about like my Moto G6 Plus work fine, the camera is barely a downgrade since it already sucked and i can just throw the gcam mod if I want HDR+
before I go, FUCK ARM and FUCK DEVICE TREES
I HATE EVERYONE AT THAT SHITTY COMPANY
I HOPE X86 NEVER FUCKING DIES
FUCK YOU GOOGLE

>before I go, FUCK ARM and FUCK DEVICE TREES
>I HATE EVERYONE AT THAT SHITTY COMPANY
>I HOPE X86 NEVER FUCKING DIES
It really is incredible how much easier it is to install alternative operating systems on basically any x86 device except Apple ones.

I've got a mi pad 4 lte tablet (nova launcher and use none of their apps so it doesn't piss me off so much). Was wondering if the battery would take a noticeable hit with lineage?
The battery on this thing is rather good; lasts a good international flight's worth of SOT.
Is it par for the course that flashing this onto a device does a number on battery life? Or is it just a device by device basis?

what phones do Jow Forums use lineageos on?

you can uninstall anything on lineage, even android itself, which wouldn't be a great idea but regardless

It's fucking hard when all the baseband firmware is closed source and has to be reversed. That's why most postmarket phones can't even make calls. Generally a requirement for getting people to switch.
Everyone is a volunteer and no one sends them donations/phones

Xperia XA2

>miui
You played yourself.

cope harder faggot

Attached: 1553692602152.jpg (439x330, 17K)

>Or is it just a device by device basis?
It is, but it's usually better because LOS doesn't have bloat or background services. My S5 got a huge boost in performance and a better battery life when I moved to LOS. Though, I was on TouchWiz 6.0 which is shit and I never install play services or apps with ads/tracking on LOS.
I assume battery life wouldn't improve much on your device since Xiaomi has their own power manager which is kinda good.
If you're just worried about stock apps draining your battery then you can plug your device to a PC while enabling USB debugging, and run "adb shell" in your terminal then type:
>pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.gallery
this, for example, uninstalls the Xiaomi gallery app. From my tests these are safe to remove:
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.gallery
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.player
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.videoplayer
pm uninstall --user 0 com.mfashiongallery.emag
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.cloudservice
pm uninstall --user 0 com.xiaomi.micloud.sdk
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.micloudsync
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.cloudservice.sysbase
pm uninstall --user 0 com.xiaomi.midrop
pm uninstall --user 0 com.xiaomi.payment
pm uninstall --user 0 com.mipay.wallet.in
pm uninstall --user 0 com.mi.globalTrendNews
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.analytics
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.weather2
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.providers.weather
pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.browser
pm uninstall --user 0 com.android.email
pm uninstall --user 0 com.xiaomi.oversea.ecom
pm uninstall --user 0 com.miui.whetstone
pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.inputmethod.pinyin
To see what else is installed on your device you can run "pm list packages". This doesn't need root and is better than simply disabling apps. Just don't remove shit like "android" and the package installer and you'll be fine. You can do the same with Google's apps. To revert this you can factory reset, "pm install" apps or install .apk files manually.

Why can't you just use the propietary firmware?
(Is there a reason apart of beeing illegal)

i once installed lineageos and my phone started to smell like curry and the default ringtone was set to the anthem of india

Lineage still needs google in default aps without installing google. You gotta clean em, with nanolx.

Yes, but unless you enjoy having a phone with no location service whatsoever, install its fork LineageOS for microg because Gapps is still bloat and botnet. See: lineage.microg.org/

>location
Stop promoting botnet. A phone doesn't need to know your location.

Did the Nokia 6.1 ever get LineageOS ported to it?

Attached: nokia-6-2018box.jpg (370x408, 29K)

I installed it recently, I still use botnet apps on it desu but I would argue my phones battery performance has improved greatly. The installation guide I would also argue isn't bullet proof but I suppose that is dependent on your model of phone. Its worth the time plus you can root and get a broad selection of apps, plus its nice to RICE.

It has Oreo so it probably supports GSI. You don't really need LineageOS then.

I have Pie on mine. My last phone was a Nexus 5 with Cyanogenmod, and I honestly miss how that worked.

0/10 cliché

I meant it shipped with Oreo so it has Treble support. GSI will be updated forever so your phone will always get the latest android updates.
invidio.us/watch?v=lVIHuC6v39E

Ah, I see what you mean now. Sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

Installed it on parent's OnePlus 5T. LOS ROM that I flash came with an underclocked kernel. Damn it's battery efficient.

It uses 2-3% battery overnight, with wifi enabled/whatsapp installed. Damn efficient.

Only installed Gapps Micro.

Using with Nova launcher - buttery smooth IMO.

Wow thanks for all that, user. I'll look into it.
I only really use this as a media device for travel, but if I could remove shit that's just deadweight, as it were, then there's no harm in shedding it.

>A phone doesn't need to know your location
It's extremely useful for getting around places you aren't familiar with. Us zoomers can't read regular old maps

It's great, I recommend using the microG Lineage fork though, comes preinstalled with microG and F-Droid, has a build from every device Lineage officially supports, and just werks

Attached: 1503857392262.jpg (378x485, 21K)

How often do you need that shit? Can't you buy a 2nd phone with a big battery and use it exclusively as a navigation device when you go to other countries or some shit?

>Can't you buy a 2nd phone with a big battery and use it exclusively as a navigation device when you go to other countries or some shit?
You are either joking or severely retarded.

I installed Gentoo 5 times, and yet I'm too lazy to install Lineage. FML.
Is there a relatively easy way to make a proper backup amd revert to the original ROM in case something goes wrong?

>0 arguments
Kys

No normies and zoomers are stupid for being brainwashed into thinking they need bank apps at the cost of losing root - what idiots.

It's basically LineageOS but with an additional focus on security. It's where the Copperhead developers went after they decided to kick them out and restructured the project into something more profitable.

Other ROMs work better, lineage was pretty lackluster on my galaxy s3

It gave life to my OnePlus One but after a while, it began fucking around.
I also have it on my Google Nexus 9 and it runs lovely until I put gapps on it. I now have a OnePlus 5T, and I haven't tried LineageOS, I am not sure it's worth it.

>using gapps
Why

Been using chink bloated malware phones. Had enough of it, but this time i bought a phone refurbished based on the lineageos compatibility. Absolutely best decison. Still bought Xiaomi redmi note 4 chink shit but is well worth it. Miui is fucking horrible, but the phone is easy to root and has official LOS for it. Went full no google only got microg for some features. Phone is fast as fuck and the battery lasts 4-5 days which is the most important thing for my needs. Contacts and calendar is Google free. I use a VPS as a CalDav server so no botnet. I can never go back to stock rom and google apps.

>no app drawer, everything sits on the desktop like a fucking iphone

I actually like this, makes it easier to get things organized and avoids duplicated icons. What launcher does that?

Install CR Droid

Attached: thumbs up.png (640x480, 227K)

>he fell for the xiaomeme

Poco

Anyone using LineageOS on a OnePlus 3?

We're still stuck on Android 8.0.0 using 2018-11-01 sec patch level from the latest stock OTA update. We've also been promised an upgrade to Android 9, for half a year or so, but it's been taking too long, IMHO. I'm seriously considering flashing LineageOS if my sec patch level exceeds 6 months.

Even though you install LOS, you won't be free of Google botnet:
- Your DNS is set to Google still
- Your device communicates with google servers every time you connect to wifi.

Just flash it.

I asked for people's experience, before flashing, for a reason, user.

You can't lose anything and LOS is officially supported by your device which means everything necessary works fine, otherwise it wouldn't be in the main downloads. Your phone is vulnerable to the critical png exploit which was only patched this year. Security is more important than features. Even if you don't trust LineageOS, your device should be treble supported so you can flash GSI.
If you have a shit experience you can always download and flash the official, outdated ROM.

>Your device communicates with google servers every time you connect to wifi.
Can be blocked in the hosts file.
>DNS is set to Google still
This is only for SIM cards, which are irrelevant.

>Your phone is vulnerable to the critical png exploit which was only patched this year. Security is more important than features.
This is why I think we are in urgent need of legislation to force vendors to keep pushing security updates for at least five years of introducing a new phone. And since the vendors aren't going to magically step up their game on their own, they need to be fined if they don't.

I think it's unfair that mobile devices seem to have this shorter life span than other (desktop) operating systems that do receive regular security updates for at least five years.

There would be more effort into backporting than the lineageos support itself

x86 is just as bad, but for different reasons

This crap is still around? They haven't supported the majority of phones I've purchased since before Steve Kondik became even more of an embarrassment.

Camera was about as good as stock on my Nexus 5.
It sucks on SGS6 though.
The camera quality vs stock varies from device to device.

Mi 8

Gee, ungrateful much?
Stay in walled gardens and eventually get fucked in every aspect

it's pretty good, especially if you use it without gapps or micro g.

I feel ya user. Bit the bullet back in october and found an unopened pixel 1 which I've been using since and it's been working really well with lineage.

Our boys over at /e/cchi have also been working on a project e.foundation/

>legislation to force vendors
No, fuck off with your totalitarianism. Buy devices that aren't locked like literally any Samsung phone and install GSI. There's no need to force anything.
>unfair that mobile devices seem to have this shorter life span than other (desktop) operating systems that do receive regular security updates for at least five years.
That's because ARM is a non-standardised piece of shit. It's nothing to do with Android or mobile phones. You can install Linux, Android-x86 or GSI-x86 on any x86 device, even (((Intel Atom))) portables. ARM doesn't have a standard BIOS/UEFI-like interface so you can't install OSs easily on it and you're forced to have a separate ROM for each separate device. It doesn't help that most manufacturers don't have enough resources to keep developing a ROM and that the ones which are rich enough like Xiaomi/Samsung push 50 android devices each year. It also doesn't help that a large majority of people don't give a shit about updates or even know that system updates exist, plus most people switch phones every 2-3 years because of SIM providers and their deals or simply because they're consumerist idiots.
Let ARM and smartphones evolve a bit, they're still a young technology. Google is doing their best to fix this with Treble and similar projects.

Yep, that's why I'm not buying any more "smartphones" at this point. The whole ecosystem is a joke and I don't care enough to make my own and fight a battle over ethics and morality like the Purism Librem 5.

did you get it working on lineage? i downloaded gcam from xda and it won't open (also on poco)

not on poco, but it works for me on pixel 1.

Wasnt there a f-droid app that tells you the name of apps on your phone to help with uninstalling them this way? Anyone know what it was called?

>totalitarianism
It has nothing to do with totalitarianism, user. The vendors never care about the customer's security. Not unless we the people make them. They do care about money, so let's get them where it hurts them. Fine them.

>That's because ARM is a non-standardised piece of shit. [...]
Not "because", but it sure doesn't help, as you say.

>It doesn't help that most manufacturers don't have enough resources to keep developing a ROM.
BS - they keep bloating upstream Android with their custom firmware additions, ads, useless apps, and other BS, and you're telling me they don't have to time to develop just a simple lightweight ROM instead? Complete BS. They just don't make security a priority, because, likas you said, the customer doesn't care about security. All the more reason to protect the customer from themselves and force vendors to keep pushing sec patches. In the mean time, bring back full disclosure of security vulnerabilities, fuck responsible disclosure. Shame the customer and shame the vendor for not expecting and doing better.

have you got gapps installed?

does gcam depend on gapps somehow?

no gapps, but I am using micro g

>vendors never care about the customer's security.
Nor should they. Vote with your wallet and buy from vendors that aren't shit.
>Fine them.
Spoken like a eurocommie.
>they don't have to time to develop just a simple lightweight ROM instead
They can always use stock like most chinks do, but it takes time and money to push monthly updates to 1k-1M phones and test if the update doesn't brick the current devices prior to pushing, plus to see if it doesn't interfere with carrier bloatware. Corporations just don't give a shit. It's planned obsolescence. You're expecting too much out of businesses that are simply incompetent and corrupt.

>Nor should they. Vote with your wallet and buy from vendors that aren't shit.
We're better off without shitty manufacturers in the first place! Never mind buying from them.

>They can always use stock like most chinks do, but it takes time and money to push monthly updates to 1k-1M phones and test if the update doesn't brick the current devices prior to pushing, plus to see if it doesn't interfere with carrier bloatware.
Time wasted on bloat is instead to be invested in fixing bugs. Sounds like win-win to me.

>Corporations just don't give a shit. It's planned obsolescence. You're expecting too much out of businesses that are simply incompetent and corrupt.
Then let legislation weed out these incompetent and corrupt business. Security is part of a proper hygiene - don't bother showing up at work if can't get yourself to take a shower. We're better off without.

>We're better off without shitty manufacturers in the first place
Free market. People are allowed to be incompetent. You should be smart enough to avoid garbage and buy better products.
>Time wasted on bloat is instead to be invested in fixing bugs. Sounds like win-win to me.
They're hardware vendors and they should be reduced just to that. You don't get windows/Linux updates from ASUS/Acer/Gigabyte/whoever. Reducing Android to an easy to install OS like GNU/Linux and improving the concept of GSI, while forcing or having TWRP or unlocked bootloaders is a better option imho.
>let legislation weed out these incompetent and corrupt business.
They'll (maybe) die out once a manufacturer actually gets 8+ years support for their devices. People who give a shit about having a phone for over 5 years and installing whatever distro on it will simply buy from that "non-shit" manufacturer. Most people don't give a shit if their phone doesn't have a replaceable battery, is made of glass and doesn't get more than 2 years of updates. I'm 100% sure that it's possible to make a niche brand which will fix all of these issues. Pine64 and Librem 5 are getting funded so it's obvious that there's a market for that so you should stick to those brands. Your typical normie just cares about a "good" camera and social media, and maybe about games not lagging. They don't think of smartphones as computers. It would be retarded to force manufacturers to do anything, they're selling exactly that, portable social media machines.

LG V20, GOAT phone and it's a shame flagships don't have removable batteries, expandable storage, and aux ports now. I wish I could upgrade but I can't find one that matches my needs.

Tell that to Zenfone 2. Being x86 means nothing.

Root and use Magisk. Solved.

>Your device is not supported
>Your devices support is buggy or incomplete
>Your device was supported but supported ended shortly before you bought it

Attached: 1490361288166.jpg (480x385, 40K)

>Free market. People are allowed to be incompetent. You should be smart enough to avoid garbage and buy better products.
That's awfully naive. The customer will always buy the cheapest option, which means the vendor will cut corners. That means less security.

>They're hardware vendors and they should be reduced just to that. You don't get windows/Linux updates from ASUS/Acer/Gigabyte/whoever. Reducing Android to an easy to install OS like GNU/Linux and improving the concept of GSI, while forcing or having TWRP or unlocked bootloaders is a better option imho.
This I agree with, but we're not nearly there yet. In the mean time, I still think time wasted on bloat is better invested in squashing bugs.

>People who give a shit about having a phone for over 5 years and installing whatever distro on it will simply buy from that "non-shit" manufacturer.
Which will always be a very, very niche market. Unless we make the vendors comply with better legislation in the best interest of the customer. Customers don't pick security and therein lies the problem. Security shouldn't be a choice - it should be implicit.

>Pine64 and Librem 5 are getting funded so it's obvious that there's a market for that so you should stick to those brands.
Librem 5 is being postponed time and time again. Ubuntu, even though not so much focused on privacy, failed before that. The customer doesn't care. It's too niche. You can't argue the customer should know better, because they don't. They never will, and I can tell you see this too. So stop letting the customer pick - they'll pick wrong every time. It shouldn't be a matter of picking.

>It would be retarded to force manufacturers to do anything, they're selling exactly that, portable social media machines.
Again, I agree, yet in the meantime the manufacturer keeps selling phones. In the current ecosystem, that means pushing security is still their own responsibility and they're dropping they ball on us.

This. I want to use LineageOS, really badly, but my device isn't supported and the only option is a 3rd party version made by a literal nigger who lives in the Congo.

lineageOS is the promise of something greater

postmarketOS, they aim to port all mobile devices into mainline linux kernel

Attached: postmarketos-canvas.png (1200x800, 37K)

user, you're a fucking godsend.

Attached: 1513093825635.gif (540x603, 188K)

Good luck to them

the sdm845 has mainline support, right?
i tried to find a device with one in their wiki and couldn't see anything.

>Camera quality will undoubtedly suffer though, since all cameras have proprietary drivers and Lineage's OS are iffily reverse engineered.
No it won't anymore, not with the advent of gcam. Sony's devices are still affected by this, but they're on their way out, so, it's not like it matters much.