/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/wXFkNQ
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pPQ2dX
pcpartpicker.com/list/PJLTLJ
microcenter.com/product/485312/650-watt-80-plus-bronze-atx-semi-modular-power-supply
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017ROH8A6/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2OAJ7377F756P
amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020178-UK-RM650x-Modular-Supply/dp/B07DLQSRPN/
displayspecifications.com/en/model/ca9f13d3
displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/30e8ab248
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

r8
pcpartpicker.com/list/wXFkNQ
why? whats the problem?

>i5
>that mobo
>that 1080ti
>that case
Disgusting.

ree
explain

Nah, you're build is shit newfag.

>budget case
>budget motherboard
>$500 TN monitor
literally a joke build and you can't convince me otherwise

why spend extra on features i don't use?

Will NAVI be better than radeon VII? Or should I get radeon VII for high refresh rates on my 1440p AMD freesync 2 monitor
what's your speculation?

inb4
>buy nvidia
can't, I use GNU/Linux too, and nvidia drivers sucks on linux

>Will NAVI be better than radeon VII?
Unequivocally no. It's a replacement for Polaris.

guess I'm getting radeon VII then

But why lol

>have amd gpu
>random chance of fans blowing at 100% when booting up windows
>won't stop until I go into the global wattman and set the speed there
I fucking hate this company.

Attached: ShiggyDiggy.jpg (250x250, 10K)

Rate

Attached: IMG_20190415_110728.jpg (4000x3000, 3.6M)

>Install Afterburner to manage everything
>Check boot with Windows
>Problem solved

I'm glad people talked me out of getting a Vega 56 over a 1070, every day i hear more horror stories about inconvenient AMD bullshit.

Retard here. Theoretically if i could get my hands on pic related for free, could i use it to build a "regular" pc for gaming etc?

Attached: 666.jpg (800x800, 61K)

I got myself 144Hz 1440p monitor and my current vega 56 can't utilize all hertz

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Ryzen ??? 6 core part
Navi ??? bcs its sony sponsored - has to be good
whatever ddr if youre not complete moron not to OC it
whatever stable psu
G O O D MOTHERBOARD
G O O D aircooler
case? LOL imagine wasting money on cases
SUPER amoled 21.5'' 2k monitor 120hz
actual G O O D keyboard
cm mouse mat i like how it rubs skin
pointer that feels good on hand and has none TRASH sensor
wooden desk
big ass fucking chair with arm rest and 4 wool blankets on it, big enough so you can sleep in it
ez

Im looking to buy a new monitor because im running on a shitty ass hp monitor that has literally melted part of the screen somehow.

Should I go for a 4K monitor or should I sacrifice resolution for a 144hz monitor?

1440p 120hz is all man needs

I'm mainly asking because I heard that TN panels are not that good compared to IPS, is this true in any way?

Also i forgot to point out, I have a fairly low budget ($250 max) so 1440p 120hz is kind of out of budget.

>have a 2080 ti
What's the build? I don't know shit about motherboards and never needed a CPU to keep up with a card like this.
Is the 9900k a meme?

TN panels are made for goblins that do not EVER move their viewing angle
just save up more money and buy good 1440p 120hz ips

I also don't really do any hardcore gaming (Mostly games that don't require fast reflexes like RPGs and such) should I just forget about high refresh rates and get a 1440p or higher monitor? There's a couple for sale near me within my price range.

i had a r290 (or whatever it is) and it keep failing to a black screen on load and required a restart.
yes. you want 9700k or 9600k or 8700k. 9900k is unjustifiable for gaymen
i'm optimizing price/performance for 1080p. what would you change?

Attached: .jpg (1332x850, 114K)

Jesus
If you're never going to use 60+hz just get 1440p ips with 2ms or lower response time deeper darks eyecare and hdr

Thank you sir for add intel cpu in OP ` you are good sir

Attached: 1501867726886.jpg (1500x1164, 337K)

buy noctua cooler
i5-9600K if you're going for 6c6t in 2019 for 2k$
but anyone normal would wait for zen2 if not to take zen2 but for price cuts intel will have to up if they want to sell anything
just do not bu any case

>recommending the 9600k
yikes

9700k is your only option even if it's a shit option. Unless you're doing 4K, then a 2700X works.

I had a 9600 GTX and my dog died

Use the money you are investing on the monitor in something else. Maybe get a better motherboad+processor.
Rule of the thumb. The graphics card is supposed to be the most expensive component of your build, then comes the CPU.
Also I would suggest going for a Antec power supply. Their power supplies are made my Sea Sonic(most of the time) and they are pretty good.

Is a ryzen really that shit at gaming?

I don't just game though as I develop and code on the side too but is intel really THAT much stronger at gaming at that price tag?

Intel is no better at all
it's just 720p jew psyop bait benchmarks

i watched a youtube video which explains that >6c6t cpu stutters when using a game engine like farcry's that can utilize a higher core count. is that the fear/problem? i filtered newegg for lowest price case without windows that has the most ventilation. the cooler has same performance as d-15 but is louder and cheaper
the r290 failed more frequently as time passed til it wouldn't work anymore
i want to use gsync with 240hz
higher frequency monitor = higher scanout rate = lower latency independent of frame rate output
higher frame rate = lower motion blur = crt like motion clarity
this is the reasoning for my build, with the element of price/performance being considered

1440p 144Hz VA is where it at.

me
rather, anything lower than 8c/t with that engine will stutter. are there any other games where this is true? i understand this game is the only that has this issue

what's your monitor?

The Witcher 3 is another example. Anything less than 8 threads gets stutters.
Mafia 3. There's a few. BV1 and BFV multiplayer, too, IIRC.

It's typically stupid to get anything other than a 2600/X, 2700X, or 9700k for gaming. 9600k might get higher AVERAGE fps than the 2600X in a lot of games, but in the worst cases it is worse while the 2600X performs consistently smooth with still good averages.
Also keep in mind that benchmarking games is a done an unrealistic scenario with nothing running in the background. In the real world, you have other programs running in the background which will affect the weaker 6c/6t CPUs more.

>2600k
>290x
>Asus VG248QE
Can I extend the life of my rig any more or is it time to upgrade?

Not worth putting more money into. It's still "okay" but consider starting to save and start from scratch next year.

nah this is going to be a windowsbox as god intended. i guess i'll do i7 8700k, seems to be +5/10fps better anyway, just hard to justify that for +$100 but if it cures stuttering it would be worth it

Seriously, is Ryzen just shit for gaming then?

me
the implication is that its just for gaymen

You're using a web browser right now, not only gaming, you dumb dindus

What?
Go away.

i use a separate system for web browsing you dingus (x220 on vertical 4k ips)

I don't think the 8700k would cure stuttering in a way a Ryzen couldn't

Been away from pcbg for a while cause i build a decent rig in 2017. gtx 1070,i7 6800k, asus strix x99 rog mobo and 3 ssd's one is m2. Now i don't know what parts are out. If money wasn't a problem is it worth to build something new in 19?

can you link testing that shows this please. i'm just aware of the gamenexus video or whatever

Same things but fancier

>spending $2000+ on a glorified video game console
lol

wait for zen 2 and 7nm GPUs.

aren't we all?

best RAM 2X8GB 3200MHz for a Ryzen 2400G? What are C14 and C16 and why I should care? 250$ CAD

me
its about on the dot $2k

Ok thanks ive been lurking sometime and i think ain't much changed
2020? Whats special about them?

>actually getting memed into buying vega 56
It's like seeing somebody get memed into believing flat earth theories.

>VA

Attached: VA is fine.gif (250x250, 268K)

>Ryzen 2600X
>RTX 2070
Will it be good for 1080p/144hz?

Attached: sosnooley02.png (700x450, 400K)

But it's a 380.

Even an RX570 does 144hz in some games. What are you actually asking?

>Being memed into paying $350 for a 2060 when a $250 Vega 56 has the same performance and actually has enough VRAM to not need to be replaced next year
Yeah, Vega buyers are totally the ones who got memed.

>But it's a 380.
and how much does the 2060 cost for you?

>getting a blower card that needs replacing instantly to save your ears
>which also has worse performance than 2060
>vram meme even through its been proven false

>based ebaytards paying me $300 for my fury x
Ebay is an amazing place to sell over priced videocards.

>and how much does the 2060 cost for you?
466$. Almost as much as my monthly income.

LG 32GK850F-B
Sure, and every single IPS panel has a 2 seconds input lag, 1 second g2g, and costs over $9000.

>What are you actually asking?
Worrying about if the CPU is going to hold me back.

Attached: 1321303783911.jpg (300x239, 9K)

>86$ difference in favor of vega 56
If it wasn't a blower type then it's worth it I guess.
In my case the 2060 is actually cheaper than vega 56.

For the radeon vii having 16GB of HBM, it really doesn't seem that impressive. Or is it just me?

Is that card any good?
Back in 2016 my friend built a PC and paired it with a i3 6100. Kept telling him that CPU is too weak but he just goes muh p/p

Decent card overall, but it's really outdated now. The finewine amd technology never really did much for the fury x. I still have some regret buying it day 1. I moved onto a V64 now.

thats because most games ALLOCATE not use ALLOCATE 4-6GB of VRAM with some exceptions getting to 8GB.
16GB VRAM is utterly useless to gamers as you don't get a performance boost from excess VRAM.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/pPQ2dX
Which 2080 should i buy?

You fell for the classic mid 00's marketing trick. Advertise the truly enormous vram but don't mention that the card is shit or at least disappointing in all the other aspects.

AMD fails miserably with HBM. They've been working with HBM now for the past few years and have nothing to show for it. Nvidia still performs better or on par and their still on gddr.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PJLTLJ

I want to build something relatively future proof that I can use for a 1080p 144hz monitor for a few years

I'm playing the latest games 1440p 60fps with an r2600. It works great and I won't need to change my mobo for a long fucking time because I can just pop in ryzen 2 after a few years.

Anything a 2060 will run 144fps in, so will the 2600/X.

No one says you get a performance boost with excessive VRM, strawman-touting retard. But you get a performance and/or visual quality LOSS with not having enough when a game can use or NEEDS more.

WD Red or WD Gold for a PC that uses an SSD for installs, one internal for data and one HDD for backup? I'm looking for longevity mostly.

Also a great place to buy used ones. Got my evga 1070 for £210 a few months ago and it works flawlessly.

microcenter.com/product/485312/650-watt-80-plus-bronze-atx-semi-modular-power-supply
Does anybody know if Powerspec is good?

What PSU should I get? I want to replace my current one. It's a cheap one I got when I built my PC. It works fine but it's noisy.

Will this do? I heard the supernova is very quiet.

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017ROH8A6/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2OAJ7377F756P

What do these different versions mean? G2, G3 etc?

amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CP-9020178-UK-RM650x-Modular-Supply/dp/B07DLQSRPN/
Top tier semi passive PSU, literally silent under 60% load and inaudible over.

Good entry level b350/b450 board? Should be ATX and have at least 6 SATA ports.

nobody?

Pick anything midrange+ from here, will be "futureproof" for upcoming cpu generations. Plenty under $100.

Attached: 7n48gewun0p21.png (1069x1833, 212K)

How is that even possible though? Is the architecture just so shit or something?
>No one says you get a performance boost with excessive VRM
The way you cry about 6GB not being enough youd think that was the case which is why I have to point out that it isn't.
Now that is out of the way
> But you get a performance and/or visual quality LOSS with not having enough when a game can use or NEEDS more.
And vast majority of games don't need more than 6GB of VRM, there is a few exceptions of games that allocate more than 6GB of VRM.

>LG 32GK850F-B
displayspecifications.com/en/model/ca9f13d3
It's not bad, but I don't want to upgrade from 1080p@144 Hz until I can get a decent 10bit panel for cheap. The g-sync model is actually cheaper sometimes. I'm not really sure what it will take for them to get cheaper than $500 USD though. microLED is suppose to bring the cost of larger displays down. Maybe when 4K becomes a larger percentage of the market, 1440p will be cheaper.

Looking to buy a non tn 1440p 144hz freesync monitor
found the following two
displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/30e8ab248

which one is best?

>microLED is suppose to bring the cost of larger displays down
I'm sure that will be very helpful in 2022

You've made a lot of poor choices. The 8700K will likely be thread limited in the near future. It's already thermally limited without a delid. 3400 MHz memory is an odd choice and you can probably get the same results with a cheaper 3200 MHz b-die kit. While SSDs have become cheaper, it doesn't make sense to me to buy a 1 TB one if you're still buying 3.5" HDDs. Rather buy a 256-500 GB m.2 sata ssd and a larger HDD.

Last all 2080s are poor value. Get a used 1080 ti off ebay for like 100 USD less than the cheapest 2080.

Attached: 1535135017300.jpg (700x662, 57K)

so

Firstly i bought the parts of this build on sale over the last 4 months, paid roughly 1000EURO, monitor included. Secondly i'm fine with paying 800, maybe 850 but that's the hard limit, for a 2080, that's not the issue. I'm just looking for a good 2080 and want to avoid the b-grade models. Blowers, failed die, cheap and shitty heatsinks/fans etc. Thirdly i'm not buying used. That's out of the question.

Question;

I already used liquid metal when I delidded my CPU two years ago.

Now I need to replace the CPU cooler - should I use liquid metal, or just a good thermal paste? It seems like metal would be worth a couple of degrees, but there’s a risk of me fucking it up and shorting something.

Attached: C427C47A-AFC2-4B62-A261-C881B0D484D1.jpg (4000x2661, 1.1M)

>The 8700K will likely be thread limited in the near future.

What is it, 12 threads? Unlikely. It should be a good CPU for a few years.

Should I get a new 2060 with 2 fans and 4 heatpipes for 350euros or
vega 56 with 3 fans and 6 heatpipes for 350euros?

HT is so weak compared to real SMT, though.

I've seen vega 56 for 300 euro fairly often. I think they are 6 heatpipe and 2-3 fan models (red devil and pulse)
But at both 350 euro, I'd go with Vega 56 for 1440p but the 2060 instead for 1080p.

intel for gaming and everything else
amd if you're poor
amd can't beat the 9900k or the 9980xe SAD

5/5 bretty good