Why are freetards incapable of good presentation and UI design...

Why are freetards incapable of good presentation and UI design? Why does GIMP and LibreOffice look like they were made in the early 2000s?

Attached: GIMP_2.10.jpg (960x587, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

photopea.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Kimball_(computer_programmer)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>unix philosophy
>almost all people involved in free software projects are coders that implement design anti patterns
>they don't do testing and shit
That's your answer

They do it for free

>Why does GIMP and LibreOffice look like they were made in the early 2000s?
>implying this is a bad thing
Traditional design > tablet hybrid cancer

>Why does GIMP and LibreOffice look like they were made in the early 2000s?
This is unironically a good thing. Fuck flatshit nu-design.

I like how libreoffice and gimp looks like, I think ms office etc and photoshop is bloated and look like shit

But what about the self-satisfaction they ge- ah fuck it, nevermind.

I hope you loved the design of W8 too.

Why are paddings, proportions sizes of things so wrong, I'm no programmer, is GTK that unfixable?

There's no such thing as an open source culture for designers. No one tells them that designing UIs for open source software can be huge for their portfolio.

Gimp literally looks like Photoshop now. You proprietary retards are always unsatisfied.

sounds about right

>There's no such thing as an open source culture for designers. No one tells them that designing UIs for open source software can be huge for their portfolio.
why doesn't a designer fork gimp and sell his own version of GIMP (or accept donations whatever)

You need a certain iq to come up with that idea / understanding what fork is

Cause most designers don't know how to code or even use git.

>You need a certain iq to come up with that idea / understanding what fork is
yeah, but would it be legal to fork GIMP and sell the fork? (on the other hand, to whom will you sell it if it needs to be open source and everyone can compile it themselves)

they could team up with someone who knows

>is GTK that unfixable?
Yes. Trying to reason with the GNOME community is like talking to a wall.
>they could team up with someone who knows
And why would they contribute to FOSS for free when they can get paid to design UIs for commercial software? Proprietary freeware often suffers from poor UI design as well.

freetards are usually programmers and not UI designers

Look at this shit.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-15 20-37-49.png (1408x768, 738K)

I don't know, to land a job. Or to accept donations for your work. Or to sell it (don't know if that is possible though, since open source)

GIMP It's GPLv3, you absolutelly can and you can NOT tell them about the origin

To a retard aka most corps

Why is the portrait keyboard wider than landscape?
Why do the keys have a hotspot? Using it is hell, I sure hope you haven't ordered a footphone

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-15 20-38-11.png (768x1408, 783K)

What would you put there in that situation?

All the keys that could be there...

EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE FLAT AND ROUND

Attached: ser.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Gimp is so modular you could literally clone the PS layout completely.
I bet there is even a plugin that does that lmao.

why can't freetards generally do UI widgets for complex application software like this.
pic related - everything nicely sized and hierarchical. yet not some sort of electron webshit either.

Attached: affinity designer.jpg (1920x1080, 219K)

GIMP was made as troll to see how many retards would defend a purposefully intentionally bad UI just because it’s “free” and open source. Unfortunately the joke is on you, the joke is that you use it.

My favorite metaphor for people who like gimp is, it’s like their first bicycle had no seat so they got used to just sitting on the pole that’s supposed to hold the seat. After a while they get used to it and even start enjoying the anal stimulation because they are faggots. Suddenly when some one offers them a bicycle with a seat (photoshop, krita, psdfiddle) it feels uncomfortable to them because they’ve become so used to having a pole up their ass, again because they are faggots. Then they have the audacity to say that riding a bicycle with no seat is better.

Attached: 5E307A39-AF43-40F2-9E22-8B34244D8BF6.jpg (811x608, 197K)

Attached: pixelmator.jpg (1434x844, 216K)

Attached: sketch.png (1200x750, 182K)

is that supposed to be an example of good design?

I sincerely don't understand why a lot of foss have poor layouts and god awful font/color/icon choices. It's really, really, REALLY, not hard to just pick a fucking color palette that looks decent. And yet, for some fucking reason, every FOSS UI designer picks the loudest, most contrasting colours with randomly sized icons and clashing text elements. Why - when it's literally easier to just not do that?? Hell, it would look better if you just picked 2 colors and stuck with it.

Attached: 1-lmms-044.png (1680x1000, 398K)

i'm not a fan of floating panels scattered around the screen (same with old adobe programs and gimp up until recently), but the widgets they contain sure as hell are better and better laid out than whatever the fuck is in OP's screenshot

You didn't use your time to take an actual screenshot, why do you expect people to use their free time to make a good ui?

Year of the Linux desktop has memed yet another poor ignorant.

FOSS stuff is primarily already decently (somewhat) paid programmers who do it out of love for a philosophy

Designers often struggle to get paid as it is, the ones that do are often massive primadonnas.

Also, design and interfaces take a *lot* of time. You can shit on frontenders all you like but a GUI doesn't have the luxury of being abstract. It has to interact with retards all day. Consider that some people in their 20s and 30s consider microsoft office difficult to use.

Can't they just hire UI designers or find UI designers who want to contribute?

>hire UI designers
well, they work for free.. also, most programmers don't seem to appreciate design.

because you need a designer and developer working together to build something and fullstack developers can already get paid very well working on closed source

also i started as a general graphic designer and got into UI design, loved working with developers who appreciated the thought that went into visual design but i could not imagine working on it for free...it's just really fucking difficult work

>get someone from the professional area that knows what he wants from a program to do
>tell devs to do it this way
>hard work
ok

agree
I don't use Gimp, but LibreOffice GUI is better organized than MSOffice

>yeah, but would it be legal to fork GIMP and sell the fork?
Free software doesn't mean, and has never meant "zero price", that's why using the term "commercial software" to describe proprietary software is a mistake.
The only caveat, though, is that your fork must also be GPL.
As for historical examples of free software that has actually been sold for money, you don't have to look far: RMS himself originally sold Emacs.

The only good UI is this:
$

Another problem with design is it's a lot easier to do in person, unlike programming you can't really do it on a trac, most design work on an open source project tends to get done during the week or so a year a team gets together

Projects that are big enough for that usually don't do shit related to UI to begin.

>t. autistic programmer without mind theory
ok
No, as I said above its horrible.

pretty sure that's a thing, or at least was at some point. some guy made the UI more like photoshop and distributed it

just copy from photoshop. is it that hard?

because programming is difficult

I think if large organisations want to use this software they should contribute to it. Except hiring a few programmers to modify and contribute to the open source software an organisation is using likely will initially cost more than switching away from Microsoft or Adobe or whatever.

gimp looks actually pretty good almost like photoshop. wtf are you complaining?

yeah i honestly never understood this argument that gnome is somehow designed for touch devices
i tried to use gnome on an actual 10" atom tablet and the experience was horrible

Because only women and faggots care about that faggotry.

this

Install them on linux and they use your gtk or qt theme, looks great with Adapta Nokto.

Attached: libreoffice.png (1920x1080, 104K)

nice contrast pham...

Not gonna use a dark background for a document that needs to be printed am I?

There used to be. Gimpshop I think it was called.
Never tried it tho.
I finally said fuck it and quit photoshop cold turkey.
The baby duck syndrome was a bitch.

Nice deflection. Compare blender to maya and inkscape to illustrator; the difference in functionality, ease of use, efficiency, and just plain old aesthetic appeal is night and day

Yes. Adobe has patents on many aspects of their programs

why 75% of icons on your screen are in barely visible, gray, 'disabled' state? is your document read-only?

Absolutely correct, the disgusting proprietary malware oozes of gay cum and cancer.

Equivalent of putting engineers in charge of automotive design, what do you expect?

Just be glad you didn't get a dome sunroof.

Attached: DvBuVO8W0AAcMjZ.jpg (473x310, 24K)

He finds gimp interface utterly confusing... and we're the tards.

Attached: 1339550542744.jpg (894x801, 123K)

I hadn't highlighted, clicked or in any other way selected anything that those buttons could be used for.

Gnome wouldn't be gnome without gigantic bevels taking up 20% of the screen no matter what you're doing.

A better question is why MSPaint can draw lines, circles and squares, and GIMP can't.

Is it some autistic Unix philosophy thing where you have to use the selection tool two or three times with the paintbucket on a new transparent layer or else you're betraying Richard Stallman?

CLI you fucking retard is THE best UI.

They work fine for me. I don't care for this meme design stuff where Apple and MS rearrange their entire UI every 2 years.

Honest question, if you guys want to fix something why don't you do a small crowdfunding campaign to hire a designer. That's literally what crowdfunding is for, and many free software projects have done this in the past.

maybe the devs like how it works and looks now
imagine making some software for free for a decade then some zoomer ux guru suddenly appears and tells you to change everything because of vague reasons and theoretical users having babyduck syndrome with some proprietary shit
idk about you but in this situation i personally would tell this designer and his crowdfunders to fuck off

Neither MS Office nor Adobe CS/CC programs have had major structural UI changes since like 2010.

People who have money and care about aesthetics own Macbooks.
Another point: if someone cared about aesthetics and was an active GIMP user, they would naturally prefer photoshop and not make any bones about it being proprietary when it does what they want it to do.

I could see it being funded by proxy if it were an integral part of a DE, but then it wouldn't be the highest priority task.

you can make shapes by stroking a path or selection,by using the shape options on the gradient tool, by using the included Gfig filter, or a variety of 3rd party scripts and plugins.
Having separate tools just for basic shapes would be redundant, as well as introducing needless clutter to the ui. I thought one of your main problems with gimp was the confusing interface.

that said if the devs are dissatisfied with the UI and are incapable or not willing to fix it themselves then yes, they absolutely should hire a professional

>comparing getting fucked in the ass by a bicycle to looking at and using UI that isn't created by world class, well paid designers.
what did he mean by this?

Yes, MSPaint really baffles people, unlike the elegant simplicity that is the GIMP.

...Also, you could argue that a keyboard shortcut is redundant when you can just click on an icon in a menu. But you wouldn't.

Most overly technical people don't have social intelligence.

You don't need to argue with the devs. You can fork it. It's free software. The devs can't tell you to fuck off.

In the case of MS Office, their UI can't be copied even if libreoffice users wanted it, because of patents.

I don't think that's true, people bitch that gnome devs spend TOO much time on aesthetics.

>Compare blender to maya
>the difference in functionality, ease of use
Someone doesn't know the hell that is 3D software hotkeys, then.

>You can fork it. It's free software. The devs can't tell you to fuck off.
in theory, sure
however i have severe doubts that UI-challenged babyducks would be able to maintain a successful fork of anything while implementing significant UI changes
in practice when you tell people like that to fuck off, they fuck off and that's it. i do it all the time with my open source stuff, shameful as it might be.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I thought everybody just hit a meta key and started typing the name of the file or program they wanted these days. GNU/Linux OR windows.

People will drone on and on about how bad Gimp's interface is. But when you tell them it's just Baby Duck Syndrome, they double down on how it's gimp's gui to blame. Even tho their complaints literally define Baby Duck Syndrome.
To these people i say, "grow a fucking brane, and stop being a retarded cuck."

user, going through several different motions to do a single task is good for the soul, like cold showers, oatmeal, and the GIMP.

Do you use that as your forum signature? Self-quoting can make you lose your moral fibre, you know. You should wash your mouth out with soap and spend at least two hours trying to draw geometrical shapes in the GIMP as penance.

GIMP team has hired designers before though. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if someone else paid for it.

I don't know what's dumber, the first response, the second, or the fact you appear to have mixed them up.

>hire a designer
because making something look good in the most basic sense should not require a professional.

Jow Forums never needed a UI designer, neither reddit nor hackernews or anything and they all look passable. Not GREAT but not FOSS UI bad either. These poor design decisions are active, they are a philosophy issue, not a time/resources/professional issue.

looks like very professional GUI to me I thought it is Photoshop

Simple.
Good code doesn't care about design faggotry.

Attached: 1541941427983.png (517x480, 166K)

yeah sure get a load of all that good code in that screenshot you dumbass

You absolute mongoloid.
Yes, you can't see code when a program is running.
But as long as a program is written well and its funtions work properly, I don't really give a shit about what the UI looks like.
Hell, I'd prefer there to not be a UI at all.
At this point I use image magick commands for 70% of all the small edits I need to make to images. Gimp and Krita do the rest just fine.

Attached: 1528201405435.png (449x401, 222K)

looks better than windows 8 and 10

this is why you'll never have a girlfriend.

This might be more you're speed.

Attached: Screenshot_20190415_123418.png (1352x1082, 129K)

>be me
>17yo bitch ass user
>girl said hi to me in math class today
>feel like an alpha
>go on my alpha male Jow Forums site to post about technology I don't understand
>get corrected by someone who actually knows their shit
>"W-whatever y-you'll never have a gf, like m-me haha"
>Trolled em once again
>pic related, its you.

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 55K)

odd that while it tries to be different form ps gimp refused to have function buttons in toolbar (like any program ever)

You do know you can just run 97% of photoshop in your browser for free, right?

photopea.com/

Attached: 131056197.png (1158x817, 100K)

>.xcf
>EXperimental Computing Facility
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_Kimball_(computer_programmer)

Attached: 1529619414117.webm (350x261, 932K)

accidental reaction face upload.