Are snaps really better than apt?

Are snaps really better than apt?

Attached: index.png (286x176, 4K)

No they are a terrible idea.

Retina Macbook Pro doesn't have this problem

>snap browser needs 10 seconds to open. normal Firefox needs less than 1 second to open
>sneaky background update
Garbage. It's useful but Appimage is better in almost any scenario.

It's difficult to completely purge all snap data.

No, but apt is also garbage.

What do you use then, pacman?

Should have said arr snaps better than a good repository.
The answer is yes.
Snaps seem to allow a dev to forego a lot of distro specific idiosyncrasies sure, but a lot of those are to maintain quality and usability of programs im thr distros ecosystem. Therefore, i think Snaps enable devs to produce shit programs.
And if your dustro runs the snap software, theres an almost definite probability that you can just as easily build from source.

>Implying that there is any actual difference between package managers

There's indeed little difference, but apt is one of those few that still can't solve dependencies for shit in 2019

Never had any problems with dependencies in apt, pacman, eopkg or zypper.

>that still can't solve dependencies
What are you trying to make it do?

/thread

>Snaps seem to allow a dev to forego a lot of distro specific idiosyncrasies
It's great for developers, but hell for end users. Try running df command.

You're either too retarded to use apt or just lying.

Snaps are nice if you are trying to get something that won't run on your machine natively. Or just want an easy install. The problem is with updates, the dev of the snap has to update the snap before you can get any updates for the app it's running... I was learning snap dev so I do have some background on this.

also try fdisk -l and watch the hell scroll by

thats why i destroyed snapd from my system.
What the heck.

>fdisk -l and watch the hell scroll by
If that bothers you so much, you wouldn't last being a sysadmin for storage.

Yes, and? There's nothing wrong with using mounts for filesystem isolation. Also, how else would you access the inside of an archive file using the filesystem?

Gee Sherlock, that's precisely the reason I'm not a sysadmin for storage.

And keep it that way. Stay away from ma stoorage yunits

>update the snap before you can get any updates for the app it's running
What is the difference, isn't the snap the app?

I'll stay very far away.

No. Put simply, snapd runs a base VM (Ubuntu) from which all your snaps will run off of, and each snap contains dependencies and the package itself for the current package release date. So if I make a snap for Dropbox version 1, in order to get version 2 i need to create an entirely new snap for version 2. so for any software that has a lot of updates it's going to be painful for the developer. It's the downside of using snap

fpbp

Also, Snaps are just loop devices that piggy back off the base VM I mentioned. So all snaps are run on Ubuntu

Oh, those loops. Another long shit list thanks to snaps.
That aside, how were updates handled with regular software managers (or whatever the term is for apt) compared to the snap method?

Repositories. Instant access to updates as soon as they are published on the repository

They follow the same concept both apt and snap someone just has to maintain the snap updates which is only the developer

So a repository is different by letting various developers draw out portions of the code? I don't even know what exactly a repo is desu, other than a code source or something.

And why is flatpak different from snapd? It gets shilled here from time to time.

It has shithat backing

Doesn't explain anything.

How so? Just tell Jenkins to make a release off of that new version and wait while it builds for you.

I'm better off developing a new version for myself.

Looks like one of the main differences between snap and flatpak is that with flatpak you can use libraries from other flatpak apps where are as with snap you can't do that, each snap is its own sandbox.

I guess that's kind of an advantage but also a disadvantage for flatpak. because if one flatpak is using library from another and then that other flatpak disappears, then you're fucked. So snap has the upper hand on that one.

dnf is the only good binary package manager

>blocks your path

Attached: nix.png (1183x1024, 88K)

*pushes out of the way*
nothing personal kid

>pushes out of the way
lol pushes out of the way

The main difference is that flatpak actually supports repos like a normal package manager.
Snaps are pretty much locked to canonical store. I don't understand why people are not reeeeeing about this more.

also, snap is nothing without apparmor

?

>lol pushes out of the way
>kek lol pushes out of the way

So, the people who develop an application* aren't the same ones who develop its snap package?

*Saying "app" is gay btw.

dnf + flatpak master race

Sent from my iPhone

>rpm-ostree master race
ftfy

Why not just use Java at this point.

mounts are really dumb for this purpose in Linux because the kernel doesn't have union mounts like plan9
Symlinks are the answer, then you can garbage collect using reference counting (like Guix and Nix do)
Ideally union mounts are the answer, but apparently Linus hates union mounts.

A steaming turd would be better than apt.

each distro has different kind of configuration and shits
universal package manager is a bad idea

nix is technically source based my dude

Isn't OverlayFS in the kernel?

>source based my dude
lol source based my dude

True.

I install the proprietary binary apps from the creators website.

Sent from my fagbook Pro, Pro which stands for profit

>Pro which stands for profit
profit for apple of course

>rpm-ostree + Flatpak
This is the real redpill.