/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1555329175706.jpg (1356x1187, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236686
lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS
github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3641
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

anyone recommend me a good panel?
Has to be themable/customizable, but not macos shit like docker.
Also, how do i get desktop icons if i dont use a DE?

benis

tint2?

Attached: 1457766921353.gif (480x480, 622K)

All "themes" i've seen is just color changing, but it's good

stop shilling this thot

look at her she's so happy she managed to install it

= What could be causing my laptop to randomly freeze (cannot accept any inputs, capslock indicator LED doesn't toggle, can't ssh, screen frozen, disk platters/fan still spinning) and how do I anticipate and catch/debug the issue, Jow Forums?

I run on kern 4.20(.16?)
My laptop is dell inspiron 11 (3147)

-- I'm another user but I believe I have the same thing happening sometimes, I'm listening to something on YT while doing something else, suddenly I hear the music loop the same 1-2 second segment over and over and input stops registering, everythig freezes, few seconds later music is gone as well, I wait 3-5 minutes with everything frozen then everything is back to normal

- looks like it's this bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236686

= My processor is Pentium N3540 (which IS Baytrail) so this could be it.
But
The thread itself threw me all over the place, bulk-disabling video driver params, power savers, swap space, turbo boost, etc etc.. With each member saying one of those didn't work. What exactly was the issue? Because OP's description fits my case like a shoe.

Attached: 1524068772931-1.jpg (238x191, 21K)

How do I insert tabs in Emacs org-mode?
The tab key is used to collapse/expand the headings.

Interrupt storm maybe?

Keep a visible terminal open somewhere (second monitor, alterable established ssh, serial port terminal if you're a madman) and inside open top/htop/similar and set sampling delay 1 sec or lower. When the lag hits something irq related should be at the top, eating all CPU.

no response in last thread or sqt, so I'll post here too

Which conf file sets the updating frequency of the monitor in a Debian/wayland/KDE desktop?
I tried to play a game via q4wine, but it immediately froze and now when I log in my cursor appears for a second, but then the monitor goes black and says "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing".
I have already tried rebooting, replugging the monitor, and googling led me to delete '~/.local/share/kscreen', but that did nothing. It's also not xorg.conf.

(KDE) Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Advanced Settings -> Refresh Rate
is possibly what you are looking for.

so the best thing to debug this is to do process- watching. Alright I can do that

yeah but I can't use the graphical environment, so that's why I need to know the config file.

it's also not ~/.config/monitors.xml

Should I use centos or ubuntu server to host my shit? Are there any actual differences anyway?

C-i
C-q

Oh shit, that does the trick. Thank you

neither, use gentoo

it WAS kscreen
I forgot to unlock my encrypted home dir when I booted into recovery mode so I only deleted some kind of skeleton file

thanks for all the kind messages, and all of your thoughts and prayers

How do I install x and a window manager like mcwm, 2bwm in Arch Linux? I have xorg-server, xorg-xinit and xf86-video(fbdev,vesa,vmware) installed.

startx with any wm install results on a black screen but with no errors reported.

Have to kill it from another terminal.

Try lightdm or sddm or something rather than startx. Or configure your startx.

Also, the error may be in xorg's log, which IIRC is in /var/log/ (same as most distros) on Arch.

i'm on fedora what package to install for media playback? i've installed caffeine but it doesn't suspend when the player stopped

Oh, so I don't need xorg-xinit?

Also, one more thing, how to edit zsh's history?

Someone said to stop using email in the previous thread.
Is this just armchair bullshitting or is there actually a reason not to use email?

The WM is in .xinitrc, isn't it?

Email is fine if you realise that it isn't and was never meant yo be secure.

Is there a way to force gtk programs to reload their ui?
When I change the theme in win7, the ui of all programs (e. g. Firefox) changes as well. When I change my gtk (both 2 and 3) theme in linux, only newly started programs apply the new theme.
I'm using arch with i3.

I tried startx wmname, xinit wmname

I installed a bunch of VMs using virt-install

But I keep getting this message:
domain installation still in progress. Waiting for installation to complete

When I actually check my list of VMs, I get a list,

Id Name State
----------------------------------------------------
1 centos1 running
2 centos2 running
3 centos3 running
4 centos4 running

But when I check for IP I get this

virsh domifaddr centos1

Name MAC address Protocol Address
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing!

I will love you if you can help me with this..

what's the hotkey to show hidden files in ranger or how do I bind it?

Stop using GNU. There are many ways to use Linux without GNU for example Android.

I'm using macchanger on Debian/KDE and it's not working.

Debconf has set it to automatically change the MAC on startup, but it seems to be being blocked by something. ip link set (interface) down doesn't allow it to work either; it reverts to the permanent MAC as soon as the interface is back up. Any idea what's going on here?

install gentoo

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but you should have an exec wmname in the ~/.xinitrc file, then just enter startx on login. I've never had to specify the WM in TTY.

It's when you have several wms and want to try one and not edit your .xinitrc

Fun fact, the ebin mars image was made using GPL'd code

How can I make the power button on my laptop sleep through acpi on gentoo?
I have already done pic related but it doesn't work properly. When I wake it up it turns on for a split second then goes back to sleep, only the second time fully wakes it up.

Side note: I do know that the void linux apci script works just fine, could I just replace the gentoo script with that?

Attached: 2019-04-15-115941_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 36K)

Why don't you come here and fucking make me

Is there anything wrong with running xubuntu when my main concerns are:

> stability
> security
> compatibility
> low power usage

compatibility to what

Very generally speaking when it comes to drivers but also being able to run software out of the box.

Here.

Actually the command more fitting is :
virsh net-dhcp-leases default

I get nothing.

How do I configure it, so I can access my vms via ssh?

How many years will it take you to grow up from your retarded windows mindset?

Gee, user, thanks. I'm sure that will help my problem.
Maybe look at the 3rd sentence in the OP.

I just purchased a VPS running Debian 9. Got a domain separetely. When I reset the server the new hostname rests back to the default value set by my host. I changed /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts and did hostnamectrl set-hostname. Am I missing something or is this likely part of the VPS reset procedure used by my host?

>How many years will it take you to grow up from your retarded windows mindset?

Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

set the domain from the VPS' web control panel. Look for the link in emails you got from them or in the customer section of their webpage.

thanks, but there's nothing like that. however customer support just send me a mail with articles that are supposed to help me. guess my problem is solved.

I got a half-decent laptop recently and I wanted to throw on a distro that makes it easy to install software and ideally has a lot of packages; the plan is to use it for multimedia stuff more or less exclusively. I tried out Denuvan out of curiosity more than anything, but it doesn't seem to fulfill my needs. Anyone have any suggestions?

>For a few years, Dubya made himself the "teflon president" through religion: he practiced gnostic Christianity.
What Did Stallman Mean By This?

why is enterprise linux more secure? and why do these supposedly free privacy-oriented libre enthusiast distros lag behind when it comes to security?

Musl/Linux: no dirty animals.

enterprise distros are maintained by paid professionals and usually a big company (redhat, micro focus, univention gmbh etc).
"free privacy-oriented libre enthusiast distros" are maintained by people in their free time.

also try dmesg -w to tailf your kernel messages.

>problem
vim showing swap file notices
>my idea
i have syncthing set up over 3 devices, when i edit a file on the phone and it is distributed over the network, somehow during the edits from the phone, timestamps are changed and my computer, when trying to open the file, is confused.
If do, what to do?

Is it possible to install a distro to a USB flash drive without using a bootable CD/DVD (can a VM even do this)? Just wondering if I have to walk down to the shop and grab some cheapo writable DVDs regardless; want to save a bit of time.

Yes. You can install from another usb, use netboot.xyz or start the vmlinuz + initrd.gz using from from a debian-based distros mini.iso

I don't understand this mindset, the idea that many users will switch to radical libre systems instantly through an act of will seems to be a bit deranged, I don't think it's a question of consumer choice at all, in fact it's close to capitalist smoke and mirrors that maintains the idea of "independent consumers" whereas in reality corporate decisions are always large-scale and are conducted by a small group of directors not with the consumer in their mind, whose role is not even secondary, since target audiences are bought and sold every day among companies. Perhaps the aim should be replacing the political system at large, not merely exercising individual acts of will, however heroic they may be?

>install from another USB
In this very moment, I realized I'm stupid as I have some laying around .. now I know what to do with my evening

Because privacy and security are two different concerns. Chrome OS has better security than any enterprise Linux.

>privacy and security are two different concerns
How?

If we start with the barebone linux, pretty much compiling the kernel and then go from there. Would I be able to use linux this way or because of no compatibility with modern technology, I'd have to download a distro?
I feel like the bad part about how shit any distro/OS is because of how bloat they are and being a passive user, I have no choice but to use them. So I want to go from a passive to an active user, to only use what I develop(or at least know the ins and outs of anything I'm using so I can easily modify it when I want it), but I also feel that this may not be doable anymore thanks to how fast technology has advanced from 00s to now.

install ubuntu

Surely the whole rigmarole about sudo groups you have to go through every install is for the benefit of security in business settings? What's an example of a security deficiency in a linux distro?

Second.

Linux from scratch is basically what you're asking for, though I'm unsure it's what you actually want.

Every device you use is running proprietary code, the website your reading this on is proprietary, the electricity you're using was generated and transmitted using proprietary code, and the list goes on including all the proprietary code in the linux kernel. But don't worry about it, its ok to be a hypocrite because the head hypocrite said so.

How is Ubuntu not bloat?

Can I run it using modern technology or I'd have to use some old computer/notebook?
What I want is something as basic as Unix, but that I can develop stuffs like X11 or anything beyond it and not stay forever as pure Unix and I can update it to use new technologies. I want to use only the programs I develop, for example. But I can't start from 0, because I'm pretty sure developing an OS is going to take a lot of time and no matter how I do it, I'll never be able to make it be better than Unix itself.

I've had the following systemd error messages in my journalctl -p 3 -xb for a number of weeks, with me sporadically getting placed into one of those boot error consoles on startup, but I haven't had any luck getting it to go away.

>Error:
Apr 15 14:42:48 archlinux systemd-fsck[457]: Failed to stat /dev/disk/by-uuid/8334652d-b283-442a-8a69-38009fb43038: No such file or directory
Apr 15 14:42:48 archlinux systemd[1]: Failed to start File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/8334652d-b283-442a-8a69-38009fb43038.
-- Subject: A start job for unit systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-8334652d\x2db283\x2d442a\x2d8a69\x2d38009fb43038.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
--
-- A start job for unit systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-8334652d\x2db283\x2d442a\x2d8a69\x2d38009fb43038.service has finished with a failure.
--
-- The job identifier is 24 and the job result is failed.

I've done a lot of googling and I've been through the troubleshooting section under the systemd page on archlinux.org, but with no help (There aren't even any processes in systemctl --state=failed). Any help would be appreciated. (Arch Linux x86_64 Linux 5.0.5-arch1-1-ARCH)

>/dev/disk/by-uuid/8334652d-b283-442a-8a69-38009fb43038

you have partition under disk UUID in your fstab and its set to be checked at boot (last number is not 0 in the line) however the partition no longer exists or now has another UUID.

either remove this line from your fstab or fix it to use the correct UUID or an existing device node (like /dev/sdc2)

recommend me a fast terminal that i dont have to tinker with (st/urxvt)

there is no such thing as proprietary code, there are only proprietary legalisms. I can write some "non-proprietary" code and make it inaccessible to you.

spbp

How do I connect my iphone to arch linux?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IOS

No matter what I do it won't show on my computer. I managed to get it to show on my debian machine but nothing on arch.

I want something like pic related

Attached: sWhKs.png (1067x724, 84K)

Is there any hope for SLI on linux?

I have two 670s in SLI mode and kubuntu installed. Getting the drivers to work on boot is a pain and I haven't managed to get them working so far (only works from secure boot for some reason) and when I do get them working my performance is worse than before, which I have heard to be the case from a bunch of other people.

Attached: IMG_20190309_155205.jpg (4608x3456, 2.63M)

xterm

xfce4-terminal

>iphone
>arch linux

Attached: lmao.jpg (369x366, 24K)

my android got fucked so had to get a replacement fast. somebody gave this to me for free.

>Surely the whole rigmarole about sudo groups you have to go through every install is for the benefit of security in business settings?
It's better than encouraging the user to log in as root, but it's not as good as running everything in a sandbox by default.
>What's an example of a security deficiency in a linux distro?
Web browser isn't sandboxed and only updates when the distro updates. Also if you're using X, that's a clusterfuck.

I realize you can work around that and get basically the same results on either platform, but if you're using it out of the box as intended by the developers, enterprise Linux distros generally rely users not being complete retards for security.

Because computer trespass laws exist. Google isn't going to pull some NSA tier chicanery and implant malware in your SSD controller so they can figure out where you buy toilet paper.

How can I help solve this problem which is also affecting me? I've not contributed to github before.

github.com/Microsoft/WSL/issues/3641

>trying to run LVM on a couple of USB SSD drives

Am I retarded, Jow Forums?

Is it possible to do this without risking a nightmare if there is a power outage, server crashes, or other unexpected unmount/unplug?

By installing gentoo.

>Every device you use is running proprietary code
speak for yourself
>the website your reading this on is proprietary
You don't need to run the non-free js code to post on chan
>the electricity you're using was generated and transmitted using proprietary code
not my computers. If the electricity company wants to depend on prorprietary software to be fucked over later, it's not my problem
>the list goes on including all the proprietary code in the linux kerne
Debian ships without prorprietary modules in the kernel.
>its ok to be a hypocrite because the head hypocrite said so
speak for yourself

no pc building threads or stupid questions thread so i come here. I am planning on using an old ps3 2.5 inch hard drive for my computer but im not sure what kind of sata cable to buy

its regular 100% normal sata.

I used SLI in Kubuntu 6.04 or so and FreeBSD7... both worked great, superb. played Nexuiz back then on them.
So I don't know. It was like fucking long ago. It should work?

Easiest way to tell what cable to buy, place/install the hard drive into the desired slot first, then purchase the cable once you know what length it needs to be + if it needs to be right-angled
PS3's hard drive slot was made to be user upgradable, it's just a normal sata drive

This sounds extremely dangerous/fun.

sata cables are (almost) all the same

Finally got a secondary hard drive. Looking to dual boot linux next to what I've already got. I've been recommended Alpine.
My purpose in using linux is as a better platform for game development than what I'm currently using. I know I don't know much, but I also know I'm better off than the average, dreaded user.
Any recommendations for a linux distribution for someone with minimal experience using linux?

hey guys i was wondering if there is a way/ a patch dwm to be able to utilize the left over space of my laptop screen. the pictuer attached shows a terminal in the middle of my screen which is an area that consists of dead pixels and i was wondering if i could maybe add a secondary master (probably a terminal) that makes the right side (the right empty wallpaper side) useable so that i can launch sth in it and the half of the text doesnt disapper. idk if im making any sense but i hope i am since i really like using dwm and i dont want to switch to another wm

Attached: 2019-04-16-002428_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.19M)

>Any recommendations for a linux distribution for someone with minimal experience using linux?
Not Alpine.

Ubuntu.
IF you have a crap PC, Xubuntu.

Maybe Manjaro.

For real though, there is no "super Linux" out there, user.

People ran RAID1/RAID0 on USB pendrives in the 1990s. There is nothing wrong/weird about this really.

I think it was FreeBSD 7... but yea I just installed the Blob it said it found two GPUs and I had SLI displayed in the Nvidia Panel. Perf wise they were good.

What cards... phewwwww..... 2x 7600 or something I think? Man I feel old... I am old...

basically i want the layout to be like the following i
+-------------------------+------+-------+
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
I I I I
+-----------"1"----------+-"2"-+-"3"-+

1- the master area where i do most things
2- the area which includes the dead pixels
3- the leftover which i want to utilize, maybe have it be used fully by on programm vertically

it's either Mint or Ubuntu
or pop!
or Solus
or Ubuntu MATE
or Manjaro
Skip Elementary, it's for babbys
There's so many good starters lately! Don't forget to disable fastboot