Lenovo Thinkpad T420

Never obsolete

Attached: memepad.jpg (640x480, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/corna/me_cleaner
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hopefully something better will release in the next 40 years

I unironically doubt it

It will not. These computers are not coming back. You can thank normalfags for that.

Wouldn't be so sure of that. There is the Raptor Talos II, which is something similar on the desktop side. It's feasible that a laptop with something like a RISC-V CPU could be made just as serviceable or more.

Yes, that VGA port and cd-rom drive it has? Totally useful technology in 2019.

There's been countless occasions when a venue only had a shoddy VGA-only projector. Sure, it takes up space, but it's comfier than the adapter.

>countless occasions when a venue only had a shoddy VGA-only projector
Maybe you should stop hosting countless bingo nights at the local retirement home.

I work in a court room and everything uses VGA and the TV has a VCR.

>DVD drives are obsolete
Imagine being this retarded

D O N G L E D

Attached: 1521769655807.png (649x732, 594K)

repent zoomer

I paid 130 dollars for my t420si could not be happier
where can I buy a battery for it for cheap, the ebay listings have a weird bump on the bottom

Shove another hard drive in it then.

i use both of those all the time.

Neck yourself

I never understood why they're so overrated. I had one for free, used it for a year or so and then tossed it in storage. Nothing particularly special about it, ugly bezels and just too big and unwieldy for how weak they are, not even particularly durable or easier to maintain compared to other business notebooks.

If I ever decide to subject myself to a widescreen ThinkPad again, I really see no point in picking one over an X, W or even a proper high-end T series.

>VGA
has its uses, and there's a displayport as well

>disk drive
also has its uses, but can easily be swapped for a second hdd if you don't need it

I have a X220

Why am I so tempted to buy a T420?

WHY, I don't need it.

Attached: 1548015018470.jpg (436x413, 14K)

Because you spend too much time showing your shit off in a gay consumer general instead of using it.

It's powered by Sandy Bridge, at this rate it will never be obsolete (TM)

this but unironically

That keyboard, though.

Never posted a picture

As much as I love my T420 and have got a lot of years of use out of it, this fan is loud as fuck no matter what I do.

I'm -unironically- autistic, and sometimes quiet sounds bother me. But I have never really noticed the fan. Maybe I'm not forcing the CPU that much.

I feel sad knowing there is a limited supply of these things left and one the world supply of old-style thinkpads run out we will have nothing unless some asian brand looks upon us with mercy and produces something with us gaijin in mind.

I'm the opossite
> Have T420, want an X220

Attached: 1540596688319.jpg (346x450, 22K)

>no numpad

Same unmemorable scissor switch shit you could get on literally any other business laptop.

Go ahead and buy the T420, and then send me the x220 (for free)

It depends on the manufacturer of the keyboard you got on your ThinkPad. I have an NMB keyboard with red domes, and it is miles ahead of any other keyboard I have used on a laptop.

Well duh

Show us a good laptop made after ~2014 without this retarded chicklet style though

With all due respect, I doubt it. I own 30 or so Lenovo-badged ThinkPads, and I don't feel the hype at all anymore. Perhaps I've simply used better keyboards on other systems, perhaps it was all a bunch of bullshit in my head. I go between ThinkPads, Latitudes and Toughbooks routinely and barely ever think about the differences in the keyboards. They're all the same mushy shit, and frankly I don't really care anyway.
I don't need to because I was never implying anything of the sort, I'm just glad we apparently both agree that the T420 is overrated.

>not having both
i have both, and ended up solely using x220. t420 is just unncessary weight to carry around, and i dont really need second drive etc. my cubicle has monitor so i can hook up to it do deal with 12" instead of 14"

>and i dont really need second drive etc

You can put two SSDs in it. mSATA and regular SATA

Enjoy your garbage display.

>used shit
>consumerism
It's a cheap hobby to buy a 200 dollar laptop every few months.

I have a T420 and it's pretty nice, but a bit overrated. The battery life is complete dog shit and the speed is a little dated. The reason it stands out to me is that it's only $200.

Consumption isn't a hobby, whether you waste $200 or $2,000 in a single go.

What hobby do you have were you spend no money

That's not what I'm saying. You clearly don't know what a hobby is.

How is tinkering with old laptops you buy off ebay not a hobby?

If you don't even know why you're buying something, chances are your idea of "tinkering" is throwing Arch on it and taking some pictures to post in /tpg/. All of that aside, $200 for a "tinkering" machine? Nigger, what the fuck are you doing?

I'm using VGA right now.

Attached: X220-22.jpg (800x574, 168K)

How about guns. Buying cheap used guns and some ammo and shooting them in the desert isn't a hobby? How does that differ from buying a cheap used laptop and compiling a kernel with it.

>Lenovo

I bet you also buy Intel CPUs

Attached: bd8.png (279x246, 150K)

Because the T420 is better:
>replaceable CPU
>same factory CPU specs as X220, but unlike the X220 the T420 has a big enough heatpipe and adequate fan to dissipate the heat
I'm so goddamn sick of my i7 X220 throttling at high load. Fan whirling at 4500 RPM, fresh thermal paste, and it still reaches 95C+ and throttles. I've heard of mods that replace the stock one with a X230 heatpipe which apparently has better conductivity (all copper, x220 has some steel), but haven't looked into it.

github.com/corna/me_cleaner

If you're just buying whatever cheap shit is popular on Jow Forums this month and doing nothing else but that with it +posting about it on Jow Forums for upvotes? Yeah, pretty much. You're not making a compelling argument for yourself, here.

How does it not qualify as a hobby. You aren't making any arguments at all. You just don't like it happening.

In both cases you're just buying shit and doing basically nothing with it, what's so difficult to understand? Hobbies are typically constructive, creative, challenging or at the very least somewhat informed and passionate, not just throwing money at cheap trendy gadgets for the sake of it. I've made my argument, you just don't want to hear it.

What should it be refereed to then if not a hobby

Consumption.

Guns arent just a hobby, they are the means to securing one of the most important rights given by god: the right to live, and the right to keep and bear arms. Buying lots of guns is good because you can arm your family and have lots of different options for any situation. Buying a cheap shotgun can lead to tons of uses - hunting pretty much anything, clay shooting, range shooting, competition shooting, home defense, and more. Posting your guns for (you)s is only one way to use a gun.

You americans are silly

yeah, we kinda are

Attached: ElogEI.jpg (990x1146, 438K)

Is there a chance for T420 libreboot? That'd be the final push it'd need to become the best laptop of all time.

ahaha, right? who would ever want an ultrabay on their laptop right? who would ever want that type of extensibility. Fuck them right?

I admire your chutzpa.

Why is the T420 so praised on Jow Forums and reddit? Why? Is this random? Why not the x220 or the T500? Someone please enlighten me.

It is the best until you have to stare at that horrendous display. Just don't use it as a desktop.

Youre retarded

you got one for 200 dollars? wtf? $120 is still pushing it.

I don't know about the others here but I enjoy the great modding community for Thinkpads. Hell, a company in china was able to create relatively modern motherboards for some older models.

Creating new mods to up the resolution or to cool my x220 is always fun for me. seeing how far I can push the hardware and bypass the STUPID SHIT LENOVO BIOS. it's all in good fun

too heavy for what it does. I prefer the t460, same screen size but lighter and decent graphics. Also you can use it in public without peple assuming you're a terrorist.

the x220 has a smaller screen and you're usually stuck with 1366x768. Other than that it's actually better, considering its weight.
the t500 is a behemoth, no one will carry that shit. And this is coming from someone with a T530.
Anyway the xx20 gen has its charms but I prefer the xx30 laptops. USB 3.0, way better graphics, and if you dislike the keyboard you can get the one from the previous gen and mod it into your xx30 laptop with relative ease.
x230 is the one I'd recommend to the average shitposter to be honest, not the T420.

You Euros are retarded.

Thanks user. Appreciated.

It's the best all around model that still has the classic keyboard and most of the old thinkpad features. The T520 is too big and the x220 has shitty resolution options and is prone to overheating

> too heavy
And people were talking I'm onions for complaining about a 3kg laptop.

Buy a T430 instead, do the keyboard mod, unlock the BIOS, and enjoy not being stuck with USB 2.

>Can it run modern software?
No
>Can it render social sites?
No
>Can it play AAA games?
No
>Can it display 1080p HEVC weeb videos?
No

Attached: 1555275445942.jpg (771x933, 179K)

>VGA port
The only port to connect to a projector.
>CD-rom
You mean the optic drive?
How would you distribute read-only cheap copies?

Fucking dinosaur computer

>VGA port
There is not a single projector in my Uni that has something else then VGA port
>cd-rom drive
what is caddy

>Enjoy your garbage display.
>doesnt even know how to change display

commit sudoku

it's actually great because having everything forcefully washed out to shit is easy on the eyes when programming, reading, browsing docs, watching courses etc. and i do have couple of decent IPS displays at desktop computer for graphic/web design work.

What's wrong with TN panels?

yeah windows 10 still works on my t420

Wangblows is for retarded toddlers. Use a real OS.

I don't know when so many T440+ fags infested this board. There is NO reason to leave the classic ThinkPad sphere unless you just want a MacBook with a TrackPoint. The 20 series can do anything the latter ones can.
>put a 1080p glossy screen, 32GB RAM and M2000 in my W520 shortly after taking this photo

Attached: IMG_20180512_134132661.jpg (3264x2448, 1.51M)

>modern software
Unless you're running blackhole rendering algorithm it should be fine.
>social site
Why you use these in the first place? These run like shit because of the devs faults.
>AAA games
All games woth playing where on GBA.
>1080p HEVC
Re-encode it to MPEG-4 at 720p

Then just get one. X220 a cute.

Saying that collecting computers is not a hobby but collecting guns is because muh rights and freedoms is kinda silly in my opinion. No need to feel upset.

They're both hobbies. But guns are cooler than collecting used anime jizz boxes.