/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

britbong edition

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: kyle4.jpg (3968x2976, 3.59M)

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/orkabd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

shit op

those doc’s are absolutely cringe

Reposting my question, don't kill me plz

Any recommendation for something with ok performance, lightweight, good keyboard, reliable? Price doesn't matter. Was looking at the X210 but I'm not too sure.

ktgee stopped updating the guides and then removed them because they were so outdated

what should I do about this crack in the rollcage of my W530? seems to have happened because it's right by the cooling system so must have been caused by thermal stress
when the keyboard and palmrest are removed and I push the display up, it flexes a lot due to the crack
was thinking about using thermal glue, does that sound like a good idea?

Attached: IMG_20190415_165944.jpg (4608x3456, 3.86M)

I am thinking about buying one of those expresscard to USB 3.0 adapters for my T420. Any recommendation?

Attached: 1554852808658.png (600x579, 631K)

Go for the x220

Are thinkpads worth it? What makes it better than a generic similarly spec'd asus, acer, dell, etc laptop?

what thinkpad is this?

Attached: Based MIT Teacher.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

the black one

They can survive a few drops.
For modern shitposting and movie watching tasks tasks a Sandy or Ivy Bridge ThinkPad will be less than $150.
They are easy and inexpensive to service if something breaks.
They're pretty good

Going to guess a X220 or X230 judging by the size of the battery, hinges in relation to it, and placement of the power jack.

x60? Just go ask him

why do all mit professors look like bill gates

Got my x220. Do things like the thinklight and the sound controll work under Arch linux?

Bill Gates woulda been an mit prof if he never dropped out

Reposting

X9100 is 44W but the W500 can handle it. Turning on the dedicated GPU is where it gets annoyingly toasty.

yes

Yes work fine
Have you used Arch before?

How?

if, say, you had a choice
t430
t440p
t450s
t460s
yoga x1 v2
carbon x1
t470
t570

which one would you take?

and these would be vanilla, so you would need to upgrade to whatever later

You are meant to your laces through the pull loops you racist.

How is it racist?

Some people believe white laces = white supremacist.

Oh right, the "lace code" thingy. I suppose those are the same people who own macbooks and brag about punching said white supremacists with their fragile hands lol. I'm just punk/rudi.

Sucks. The ThinkPad guide survived but the other ones are long gone. Oh, well
Anyways, I was thinking about getting a T420 and something else from the list, any recommendations? Or should I just suck it and get the other T420 with the broken screen?
What gen would the X1C be?

x40 a shit
>amberleaf
my g

Attached: 1555241259365.jpg (1746x2328, 2.43M)

first

Then I'd take the T440p, I can future proof it later and even add a dock + eGPU to make it play zoomer AAA shit if I want to

what if it was second gen?

I'd consider it. I've heard and read that the tactile mouse clicks feel like shit, but I could give it a shot before replacing that with the xx50 series ultranav or whatever

they suck, wouldn't recommend it at all

well if i take the t440p, i already have the 16gb ram, i have an old t450s to swap the touchpad, i can get the 1080p screen easily, and the cpu probably
already has a 250gb ssd which i can swap for a 1tb ssd, and maybe get the drive caddy and stick another 1tb ssd on it
anything else i should look into? it would come with the standard dock too

Maybe a battery, but it's not that important unless you do a lot of field work away from a power outlet

superglue

>iggy pop

can you be minimalist with TWO laptops?

I am moving and getting rid of my desktop. I will only have my X230 and a few spare hard drives/ssd's from the desktop.

I am paranoid about having only 1 computer in case something happens. Having a backup computer is simply the logical reasonable thing to do, right?

Attached: 1504901947977.png (1920x1080, 984K)

Honest opinion on a L390 Yoga even though I already know it's disliked here?

I don't think super glue will hold up well to thermal stress

I don't think it's caused by thermal stress, I think it was dropped.

>I am paranoid about having only 1 computer in case something happens. Having a backup computer is simply the logical reasonable thing to do, right?
yes that's why i own 7 thinkpads.

>"Good luck getting me off the internet! I am behind 7 ThinkPads!

Cheapest place to get a T420 keyboard?

Depends on where you live
>Europe
Yeah, you ain't getting one for cheap, m8, they inflate their price a lot over there for some reason

Based

Attached: 1555101427201.jpg (800x889, 111K)

perhaps, I just got it off eBay a couple weeks ago
but why not thermal stress? would there be a downside to using thermal glue instead of super glue?

wasnt there a thing about colored laces for different fetishes?

hmm, you may be right, I just noticed a little nick in the edge of the screen bezel right where the crack in the cage should be

Nah that's having a handkerchief in your back pocket and the colour and pocket it's in tells what you're into and if you're a sub or dom.

That gave me an idea; I'll paint one of my stankpads white, so that people think I'm a supremacist

t440p

15.4'' T60?

Daily reminder that the W520 is the #1 thinkpad of all time.

Runs WoW at 60 fps :)

Attached: IMG_20190414_022836.jpg (1064x1421, 272K)

Which classic thinkpad keyboard nav cluster is better, feel of the keyboard aside?

poal.me/orkabd

Attached: thinkpad keyboards.jpg (788x221, 68K)

How many sins have I committed changing my T450s’s boot logo to this?

Attached: B7541A10-ED04-4ECD-B61C-5927848BB08D.jpg (4032x3024, 2.81M)

How you do that?

The BIOS updater for any recent thinkpads has a readme in the folder detailing how and it’s slightly different for each model, but for mine I just put a 30kb or below JPG in the same directory called LOGO2.JPG and when I ran the flasher it would detect the file and ask if I wanted to change the logo.

I prefer the volume buttons and the thinkvantage button on the older one but that's about it. The small escape and delete suck which is why overall I still prefer the newer one.

just as long as it bonds plastic, go for it. I wouldn't want it to give you nightmares to use a bonding agent that you thought might melt at 110F or however hot you think anywhere outside the cpu heatsink actually gets.

Don't. They're flaky at best.

waddup jon-kyle
fancy seeing you here

Bondo

How come? Just wondering.

Also - what're everyone's thoughts on MacOS on a x220 or similar?

it can bond plastic, I have it left over from when I made an RPI cluster and those chips were plastic
but I thought the cage was magnesium alloy?

For one you don't get USB3.0 speeds out of them, you are limited to 1.5 gbps (I think), only 3x faster than USB2.0 while USB3.0 is 5.0 gbps.

Then they also have weird drivers which may or may not work or be updated and are finicky with the expresscard being plugged/unplugged or the USB device being plugged/unplugged. And the Expresscard being unplugged and plugged back in is a very common occurrence since trying to plug things into it will sometimes trigger the pop-out thingy.

Some also get hot, meaning they are idly sucking up power.

Ty for the insight user. Shame. Any good uses for them then?

nice boots you queer

eGPU. it's probably the best usage you might get with expresscard.

bluetooth remote

Attached: 41vgC8LoAEL.jpg (500x494, 30K)

Okay I got this for $210, how'd I do??

Lenovo ThinkPad T430 Business Laptop Computer, Intel Core i5 2.50GHz up to 3.2GHz, 4GB Memory, 128GB SSD, DVD, Windows 10 Professional (Renewed)

deciding now whether to dual boot or go straight linux

Can you guise suggest a cheap ultrabook (under 3 lbs) with a 1080p display?

I was looking at the x230 and the e7240, but the resolution is too low.

what do you mean by cheap

Anything under £300

T440s/T450s

I'm not a poorfag so I don't need to buy a 6 year old thinkpad, are (((current year))) models worth it or have they lost build quality etc over the years?

supposedly the P50-51-52 are still true to previous quality, though I can't attest to this myself.
was considering buying a P50 a month ago but chose the W530 due to coreboot support.

Attached: chadpad.jpg (758x644, 64K)

if you're in the us then your overpaid
if in eurostan thenit might be reasonable idk the prices there.

how do you access this bios updater on linucks?

friend got me a usb3.0 expresscard a little while ago, I'll report back with how it works in my x201 in a few weeks

xx80/x1e/p1/p52/p72 yes, xx90 no

yes. But I don't have this much experience.

honestly just get the t430

You fucked up. ThinkPad T430 is ugly as fuck compared to the T420 or T410. I would’ve gotten a ThinkPad L series or a T450 and up

Should I buy a Dell 7480 or a ThinkPas T460S?
Both are neck and neck in terms of specs. I need more specifics on how jt feels to use.

Attached: C96ABD07-C5E6-45A7-8707-41993C396BC8.jpg (1280x960, 175K)

Aye up mate

Attached: IMG_20190330_232659.jpg (2976x3968, 1.6M)

Imagine being that much of a fag.

Your Docks are whack and you need tighter pants. just the union jack at the end of the Docks though. there is saving you.

Why are brits such faggots?

I killed the keyboard on my X1 Carbon 3rd Generation.
I've purchased a replacement and watched a video online showing the replacement process. It's just 80 screws or so, and I think I have all the tools I need.
Anything else I should know before I get this shit rolling?

based

You can try with some good epoxy like Araldite, clean the crack with degreaser before (like automotive brake cleaner).

If it cracks again I would make small glass fiber patch over it and again fill crack with epoxy and then coat patch itself with epoxy.

Ignore superglue and bondo retards, you'll just contaminate everything.

It has a lot to do with the EU, I think France pushed for the 12 cocks a day rule and Britain said, "Sure, as long as we get to keep our currency."

If you're in the US just get a new one - they are quite cheap
if you're like me in the EU and don't want to get a laptop from a shady craigslist-like site - you're looking at a double price than in the US

Nobody cares about you shitskin.

who gives a shit?

Just install Coreboot and set a grub background.

Wat? How so? Other than the keyboard they're basically identical. Don't tell me you don't know how to replace a keyboard!

I wouldn't even recommend any modern Lelnono laptops, they're cheap and consist entirely of plastic clips and soldered everything. I'd look at whatever Dell or maybe Panasonic are doing. You can always get a more modern fully-rugged Toughbook for a crazy amount of money, and those things are fucking awesome (And don't use soldered RAM!).

Attached: thinkfamily.jpg (2777x1851, 2.02M)

Heyo man. In some previous post you told about options on using me_cleaner on x230. Wheb you mentioned using me_cleaner after flashing coreboot, did you mean internally flashing me_cleaner? I guess there is no benefit on externally flashing, once you can do it internally? Also what you meant by "changing rhe flash descriptor permissions"?

Attached: hgf.jpg (1536x2048, 570K)