ARM is the future. Your phone already runs on it, but in the next 2-3 years...

ARM is the future. Your phone already runs on it, but in the next 2-3 years, expect a massive push for ARM in the laptop/PC and server market. Every major OS will have an ARM version. Every laptop to be sold in 2023 will run on ARM.

Attached: bfd1c1bf0f19dbbe8f6733621075a427.jpg (650x364, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V1yl2iRSR0U
youtube.com/watch?v=Fopa1Uoh87w
computerworld.com/article/3086252/fujitsu-turns-to-arm-for-post-k-supercomputer.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

but why

no
general-purpose RISC died out in the '90s. let it rest in pieces

Yeah man because people just fucking LOVE processors that run slower than celery ones.

youtube.com/watch?v=V1yl2iRSR0U

Attached: 9ae9b86.png (900x900, 708K)

Those benchmarks weren't written for ARM.

That's an ARM emulating x86.

RISC V > ARM

Windows and linux already run on arm, don't know about macos, ios does. Virtual machines to run older stuff probably.

Those benchmarks were done on a version of windows running directly on ARM metal with efficient x86 emulation for 32-bit x86 software using multiple processors that QEMU can't do yet. Point is ARM fucking blows for PC use right now and nobody is going to want to use android or god forbid iOS to do any kind of work.

ARM will eventually crawl to 2nd-gen sandy bridge dual-core 2GHz i3 performance but by then we'll have 3GHz hexa-core zen 3 processors on tablets. They just can't up desu.

>expect a massive push for ARM in the laptop/PC and server market
We've been hearing this for so long now. I don't doubt ARM will get there eventually - their roadmap looks really solid - but as long as the likes of Qualcomm thinks it's okay to charge this much for this kind of laptop, they'll never get there

Attached: Yoga C630.jpg (1158x814, 137K)

This too, the whole point of ARM would have been competitively priced tablets. It's bad enough they run windows S (aka wankblows RT: return from grave) and have celery grade performance but then you have to pay nearly a thousand dollars to put up with all that.

Meanwhile actual celery laptops that run the full version of windows 10 are flying off the shelves for ~$300 at your local wallmart/costco.

Attached: 1554386104359.png (322x395, 201K)

>2 incompatible desktop platforms
i don't want this

Even the freetards are in favor of this. System76 is working on ARM lappys too.
youtube.com/watch?v=Fopa1Uoh87w

Of course they are, making things unnecessarily complex and harder to use is why we call them freetards in the first place. See power9 desktop shills.

Intel will die soon enough, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Wtf I got my new ryzen gaymertop for cheaper than that.

>PCs can't emulate PS3 efficiently, clearly PowerPC>x86

Solution is a software store/distribution center that compiles everything on the host.

Attached: hvzgvgri6nk01.jpg (624x474, 35K)

>Every laptop to be sold in 2023 will run on ARM
>ARM
>a woefully under performing CPU architecture
>used in laptops
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHa. fuck off, iTODDLER.

what do you think will happen -if- ARM somehow becomes a standard CPU in laptops? you believe people are just not going to need to use x86 software anymore? ARM will need to emulate x86 pretty fucking efficiently, not that they can at the moment. even the fastest ARM CPUs are still shit at it.

Apple will unironically be the catalyst once they start using their own ARM chips on Macbooks, and start unifying iOS and macOS. iPhone apps on the Macbook, unified App Store - the media will lap it up

Attached: armtoddlers.gif (620x448, 23K)

>Point is ARM fucking blows for PC use right now
will do for years to come. this cpu isn't going to ever be used in any computing that needs performance. I can see why apple would want to ditch intel (licensing, having their own custom ARM SoCs) because their customers have no idea what real computing power is. they'll keep short-changing them with yet another release of outdated and shit-tier level hardware made by incompetent foxconn employees, designed by the computing world's dumbest collection of fucking morons.

Of course there's always going to be performance penalties for emulating another cpu architecture but window's multi-core x86 emulation on ARM metal is more than 50% efficient. Might improve over time as well.

Remember they're not emulating the entire windows OS on ARM, just the x86 software being run.

Oh my fucking god, were going to start calling ipads with the dick pencils computers now, aren't we?

Attached: download.jpg (493x585, 35K)

>Apple will unironically be the catalyst
apple is no longer relevant in the world of computing or mobile computing. they haven't had a single innovative idea in a decade. nobody is following their lead in this direction. ARM chips are completely unsuitable for high end and performance based computing.

>Oh my fucking god, were going to start calling ipads with the dick pencils computers now, aren't we?
fuck no. they're toys for retards.

iTODDLERS BTFO FOR ETERNITY

Attached: 1531121982226.gif (500x281, 1.6M)

This is actually $1000, though it does have a high quality OLED

>Windows 10 S
To be fair it costs nothing to "upgrade" to full Windows

But yeah, the whole Windows on Snapdragon thing, at this pricing, is dubious at best. Extremely niche. If you want LTE just tether to your phone. If you want more battery life, just carry a power bank (which can also charge your phone). For "Connected Standby" - what's wrong with an extra two seconds waking up from sleep? Had these been priced as Chromebook competitors they could actually be compelling enough

Attached: Galaxy Book2.jpg (583x498, 38K)

Will linux have an arm version? If so, I'm okay with this.

You were never funny. And your never will.

>Will linux have an arm version?
are you retarded?
shut the fuck up, iTODDLER.

>full Windows
Would it even work then? Honest question, no idea how ARM wangblows work.
Linux ARM has been a thing for years already.

Absolutely based.

SEETHING

>high end and performance based computing
Of course that's not the targeted segment. Look who's buying Macbooks and Macbook """"Pros"""". Why wouldn't Apple cater to their more-money-than-sense normie customer base? That's what has been making them bank all these years

>Look who's buying Macbooks and Macbook """"Pros"""". Why wouldn't Apple cater to their more-money-than-sense normie customer base? That's what has been making them bank all these years
i couldn't agree more with that. apple's customer base are gullible idiots.

UWP apps (those from Microsoft Store) work natively. x86 apps work under an emulation layer. x86 apps can be recompiled to ARM32/ARM64. x64 apps are out of the question

Linux even had RISC V, MIPS,SPARC or Power version

>ARMshit
Not even once.

Attached: 1529479765942.png (679x680, 80K)

>x64 apps are out of the question
So no bibeo gays like cowadoody: revenge of the sith on ARM "computers"?

AMD >>>>> ARM

That's how bad it is.

So still better than intel? Really fucking terrible.

x86 games should work, as long it's not using OpenGL 1.1 or later. So original Skyrim, for example. should still work. No idea of the performance, though

Than ARM wasn't designed for fast computation.

x86 is the future. Your PC already runs on it, but in the next 2-3 years, expect a massive push for ARM in the phone/tablet and HPC market. Every major OS already has an x86 version. Every laptop to be sold in 2023 will run on x86.

ARM is proprietary garbage and anyone who seriously wants to switch to nonstandard proprietary SoCs is a fucking retard

>noooo, you should be using gookbench!

Attached: 1554705714352.png (644x800, 198K)

Benchmarks are all bullshit written specifically for one result: the best result of whatever the benchmark's author wants it to be.

>significantly longer battery life
Sold

> Let's get spied by Chiense instead of Muriifags
I'd rather be spied by muricans because they're incompetent

Non-VLIW architectures cannot be the future.

>RM chips are completely unsuitable for high end and performance based computing.
*blocks your path*
computerworld.com/article/3086252/fujitsu-turns-to-arm-for-post-k-supercomputer.html