So this is the power of open source south american spic gamedev technology

youtube.com/watch?v=NlKEO1N8wMM

So this is the power of open source south american spic gamedev technology.
wow

Attached: godot.png (676x609, 510K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/scripting/visual_script/what_is_visual_scripting.html#doc-what-is-visual-script
docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/scripting/gdscript/gdscript_basics.html#doc-gdscript
youtube.com/watch?v=SJplDRtV1Oo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So, what exactly is Godot and how can I get into game dev?
I can code Hello world in brainfuck, but that's the extent of my programming knowledge.
Can someone actually make money with shitty indy games to then fund a larger scale master piece?

>what is godot
the blender/GIMP of game engines.

>can someone make money with shitty indie games
sure, is possible to make money with shitty games, like patreon, making free android games with ads or uploading to kongregate.

>to then fund a larger scale master piece
You wont be able to make an AAA game, but you could make something like cave story, RoR, undertale by yourself.

Why the fuck would you learn anything in brainfuck before actually learning to code?

Is it named Godot because we're always waiting for someone to do something interesting with it?

it was named after the original play, but that's part of the joke, we're always waiting for the newer version.

Juan go away. Your engine sucks.

t. tencent shill
go fuck yourself with your chinese botnet.

>small team of professional freetards make something polished from ground up that may be neat and useful at some point considering the intended purpose, unlike GIMP
>other freetards start ripping each other's throats and shitting on 1-man game projects

>You wont be able to make an AAA game, but you could make something like cave story, RoR, undertale by yourself.

he could probably spend one month learning Unity/Unreal and another game to make something like undertale...

I meant another month* instead of game.

You don't just need to know programming to make games. You need to be able to draw, 3d model, animate and make music

>make something polished
you know nothing anything about godot, don't you?

Hope they bankroll this and fuck over Unreal bloatengine

Honestly, it's a neat project and wonderful if you just want to get a quick little thing going. It's not meant to compete with AAA engines or titles.

We should all appreciate well-made FOSS projects, and Godot is certainly one of them.

it is not like unity is setting the bar very high

>Godot
>polished
There's a reason all the Godot Gang memers on /agdg/ are hyping it up as the future and not as the present.

godot is a hopeless unmaintable mess. codebase is pure trash and they always reinventing the wheel for stupid reasons.
don't let the shiny facade fool you.

What language(s) should I know to use this?

welcome to game dev

This happens even with professional engines. Did you hear about what happened with Anthem and the Frostbite Engine?

You can use visual scripting which is graphical autismcode made for non-programmers.
>docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/scripting/visual_script/what_is_visual_scripting.html#doc-what-is-visual-script
You can use Godotscript which is basically like Python.
>docs.godotengine.org/en/3.1/getting_started/scripting/gdscript/gdscript_basics.html#doc-gdscript
You can use C++ which is probably the best and maybe the only option if you want to do some low-level shit. It can be used for anything.
C# is also supported if you're on windows.
It's best if you know C/C++ and GDScript, but you can start making a game blind and learn those while making it. Your game will be shit so don't think of it as anything other than a learning experiment.

AAA is just a meme nowadays. Normie games with tons of useless shit that wageslaves make for 4 years.

Cool. I was planning on learning C++ anyway. Good to know it will be useful if I decide to try my hand at game dev with Godot. Thanks.

that's an insult to blender, gimp is shit tho

Well, game developers don't like to pay 5% tax to UE.

Attached: fees.png (824x462, 57K)

that's pretty cool

Attached: 1554947754136.gif (400x400, 673K)

>meanwhile in unity
youtube.com/watch?v=SJplDRtV1Oo

remember when unity started with those shitty slenderman games...
i rember..

Spic shit looks like THAT?

I really like the name, I guess because I liked the play when we read it in high school.
>All those faggots who pronounce it GoDOT like robot
Like nails on chalkboard to my ears. I wish they would drop the robot logo so people stop thinking that's how you pronounce it.

Meanwhile in Unity reality

Attached: $1.jpg (1277x641, 86K)

godot users on suicide watch

Attached: th.jpg (474x353, 13K)

So is Blender when you work a more important job than basement UE4 asset flipper.

>Used by 1 major studio
>Produces the ugliest CGI on the market

Attached: 1_0.jpg (1200x675, 216K)

I been learning Godot for the past week and honestly, I'm pretty surprised.

The engine promotes a heavy Object Oriented design, but in a good way. They made it very idiomatic to use the observer pattern so message passing is a joy. To the point I feel using an ECS in Godot is quite redundant, their OO model is that solid for gamedev.

The engine is not only Open Source, but the source code is actually quite readable. It has a very "homebrew" feel to it, the code is layout very clearly with big fat code files that semantically separate functionalities (so the source is not populated with gay *manager.cpp, *helper.cpp made by rejected javaniggers). The two renderers are defined on just a handful of shader files. Anyone that took a basic computer graphics course can go to the source and get pretty quickly how everything works.

I don't know if Godot could be used for big studio games, but I feel all the elements are there: The OO design makes it easy to separate concerns, the generated game files are mostly text based so Git works with it, and if you have any problem with it you can go to the source code (which, again, is pretty easy to understand).

Can I make a NMS clone that is good with this?

>Get RPG maker off staym
>hire waifu-artist to generate waifus on demand
>get the cheapest writer you can find; scour the fanfic sites for easy pickings
>incorp waifus into your simple rpg
>hire translator to translate into a range of chink languages
Prophet and eternal klory forever and ecer.

so what's the retard-proof guide for godot

Is there a market for yuri exclusive erotic games? I don't want to make dicks or anything to do with dicks.

Why is this shitty engine bring shilled so hard?

Because you don't have to pay any royalty to engine maker.