Virtual Machine Thread

Virtual Machine Thread

Virtualbox and Vmware have too many limitations, even with the tools installed all I end up with is a VM of Windows' retarded cousin who constantly shits the bed, so, is there a better option?

Attached: Shitty VMs.jpg (800x343, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

b1nzy.com/blog/vfio.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Qemu

Care to actually form an argument user? Nobody here can address your point if all it is, is, "hurr, Durr, this bad". I agree that VMware is pretty restrictive, but I've had nothing but enjoyment from using VirtualBox. From PCI passthrough to zeroing and shrinking VDI's, it's extremely flexible.

>It works for me

Attached: 1546992813756.jpg (300x300, 9K)

For me it's proxmox

Attached: Screenshot_20190416-161445_Aprox - A Proxmox VE Client.jpg (1080x3184, 273K)

HYPER V

Might want to check your hardware.

Also, I tend to stick with Hyper-V because AVMA, unless the job calls for something else.

that is one long phone

The better option is actually installing the OS that you're trying to emulate.

Dedicated hardware is extremely limited, many programs and most games do not work.

>Gaming
>Virtual machine
Also, dedicated hardware? What do you mean? Every CPU >2010 has VMx/VT-d. If you're trying to emulate some obscure MIDI device for retrogaming, hypervisors aren't designed with that in mind and don't cater to that use case. Is suggest getting a dedicated sandbox environment like DOSBox.

I've never had an issue with VMWare hosts. ESXI is especially stable. Perhaps your hardware isn't up to the task.

Brainlet

Some are better for certain things or I'm autistic. Here's the ones I've used / use, just don't run two different ones at the same time.
VirtualBox - good, seach fourms for setups
Hyper-V - good, what I test/sandbox with using differential disks
Ms Virtual PC (old) w/vm-additions from older versions (don't use currently)
Qemu - kinda sucks to config (don't use currently)
Dosbox w/frontend if gamefag
PCE (pc emulator) for really old os's

I ran Ubuntu on hyperv just fine, sure it was gay but it was gayer after installing it on hardware, its why I don't use it.

Not OP
I tried to play some older games (early 2000s) on a Windows XP and a Windows 7 VM, but they refused to load.

I heard that there was some new OS that allows us to install multiple operating systems on top of it and then run them all at the same time, do you guise know what this is called or if it is any good?

The only issue I've had is non-accelerated graphics. Recent versions of virtual box have hardware passthrough but you need drivers that support your graphics installed/configured on the guest OS which might be difficult if its new. It might be better to dual boot or get a old machine.

I forgot the name there's several, usually type 1 hypervisors but there's also a Linux distro configured like that.

b1nzy.com/blog/vfio.html

It's dummy easy to game in a qemu VM.

>proxmox
What do you even use this for?

proxmoxing

Nice tactful dodging of my question.

virtualbox is slow af, but works with my laptop touchpad
vmware workstation is the exact opposite
other than that there are not much difference, at least for me

Because they don't have real hardware acceleration. VMWare tools claims to install an experimental DirectX in Windows guests but it doesn't work in any way.

You either need to use a real PC install, or install a second GPU and passthrough that into the VM.

virt-manager with qemu.
you're welcome.

Why is qemu with virt-manager better?

There were some faggots that bought a dedicated server from my old company and used proxmox iirc.

They were flooding the local craigslist-equiv with shit to try and lowball people out of cars. We sold the netrange (/26) that they used afterwards so we wouldn't get shitposted with abuse complaints.

Run baremetal hyper v

Why is Virtual Box guest performance so bad compared to something like Gnome Boxes? I think they both use KVM but the performance is still different.

>games
Shouldn't you be back on /v/, you numale faggot?

VMware if you want a job

I used to prefer vmware over virtual box, but the latter recently got upgraded to support svga out of the box. Also, I recently found out vmware doesn't support PCI (at least not on any chipsets from within the last few generations). Sometimes I like programming with FreeDOS, so it's nice when I accidentally a crash and get back an error log for what happened. Vmware doesn't really have any logging support.

Nooooo. Virtualbox does its own thing, loads its own kernel modules, and so forth. If it used KVM it wouldn't suck near as much.

/thread

KVM is exclusive to the Linux kernel. VirtualBox is its own thing, and performs exactly as you'd expect from an Oracle product.

VMs can be really fucky

Jesus, Android looks so disgusting.

Is there an easy way to share files with a Win98 VM, aside from turning the files into an iso and then mounting that iso in the VM?

Parallels is the best VM application available. Apple made sure that it works seamlessly, similar to how they made FaceTime so much better than its competitor Skype.

Network share? I don't remember how well that worked though.