/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: webdevAnonDevelopingAtIncrediblyHighSpeeds.png (824x553, 467K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nextjs.org/
nuxtjs.org/
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/password
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can someone with an engineering phd go into data science?
What about if the employer asks for a data science or stats postgraduate degree?

what would be the disadvantage of building a URL shortening service that simply used a counter to assign shortened URLs (as in the first URL requested gets something like "t.co/1" the second got "t.co/2" and so on) versus hashing the URLs?

because people can access t.co/1, t.co/2, and so on out of curiosity.

This. No consistency with how links appear either.

Not him, but that's only a problem if users foolishly paste google drive, discord invite, or other pre-authorized links AND if you as the site owner care.

I have my first client and he won't stop talking to me. I'm drafting up my contract this weekend and I'm wondering if it's normal to bill an hour minimum for phone calls.

Like seriously I'm at work and the guy sends me a text novel asking for me to call.

I'm ok with a 5 minute call highlighting some new feature requests (I charge hourly) but I don't have time to be on the phone for an hour.

This shit drives me insane. I got rejected out of a job for not having experience with Agile when I could program better than their senior lead.

Never talk to your clients through calls, e-mails only. Say you can't pick up, and tell them to direct their questions on a single thing, which you can then reply in one go.

How many of you web devs are new, with no degree, and how much do you make? Do you work long term for one company or do shorter contracts? is there any possibility of working from home as a web developer after i learn what i need?

It was a 10 minute call this time and I just billed him an hour.

I'll start doing that though. That's a good pro-tip, thanks.

>program better than their senior lead.
bold claim

>Never talk to your clients through calls, e-mails only.
why?
so you can have a history of talks between you and the client?

This. I find this to be especially important because I work remotely, so I need to be able to cover my ass with proof that I have communicated with the boss about deployments and shit.

I'm "new" at just under 2 years with no degree. The companies that require a degree you probably don't want to work for anyways. Micro-management hell. Most new devs straight out of school have no idea how to dev and I end up teaching them their first 6 months so I don't know why people pick those with a degree over hobbyist experience. How much I make isn't relevant because I do different things outside of work. I've turned down an 85k position as a lead after 1 year in this career and I turned down a 133k offer last month as a senior-dev. My job pays 55k but it's not demanding at all and I make up the difference with my passive generators.

There is the ability to work at home as a web developer some of the time. Depends on the company. I am talking to a startup for 112k that is full remote. I'd actually do that one because I want to rent out my house and move by a city. I don't think the guy liked me so I might just copy his website of I don't get it.

You probably won't get a work from home gig right off the bat. You'll need experience or serious people skills and a dictionary of tech jargon knowledge to make you sound smart. You could just do what I do and pretend you're Mark Zuckerberg.

Dude's a fucking enterprise jockey, only does the same shit over and over and so time has given him the ability to judge the lesser beings who have to struggle with a shifting market.

That's useful, of course, but from a workflow point of view it allows you to give your day a time and a place to separate clients and work from one another, instead of constantly having to deal with some annoying faggot ringing you all the time.

if you're a competent programmer, over the years you start programming less and less and go into management positions. That's probably his case.
Also, you're assuming too much about a person. Don't think you are a special kid of any kind

Alright, I'll eat the humble pie. Let's just say I'm frustrated a person as lethargic and comfortably accommodated can label me as useless just because I haven't used his gay ass workflow methodology.

did you gave him a firm handshake?

So I added a button on client side and played around a bit with the 'post' request of the following type:

On the server side I have extracted the header and the body and everything is like I hoped it would be.

But now I added a second button. How can I identify on server side which button is doing the 'post' request?

I have the same amount of experience, but I'm having trouble getting companies to reply. How do you do it, user?

You send something different.

Nah imagine you have a subscribe and login form on the same page. Both look exactly the same. But they are supposed to cause different processes on the server side.

Mostly old-school stuff. I look up the tech recruiters based out of where I want to go and call them. I call them a lot.

I've contact companies through their contact form telling them I wanted to work for them and asked when a good time would be to set up a call.

I regularly update my resume everywhere. Indeed, Glassdoor, Ziprecruiter, Dice, Angel.co. My first job was from posting my resume to Craigslist of all places.

I get the most responses from Angel.co and Dice. Recruiters use Dice and will not leave you alone if you regularly update your resume there. If you find a company that you want to work for and reach out to the owner or tech officer telling them how much you would love to work for their company then you will get replies. Make sure to state how you would help the company and what value you will bring. They care about two things. 1.That you REALLY like their company (mission, goals, operations, culture, etc) and 2, that you want to, and will, make them money. Express those two things and you'll be set.

Or maybe I just didn't get your point. I hope you would elaborate in this case.

for me, its redis. the best database.

Attached: 1554070094418.jpg (1242x1387, 136K)

That does help, thank you. I think my main problem is that I'm applying using online forms rather than contacting someone at the company. I keep getting cockblocked by HR.

then you can send it to different routes
send the signup info to yourSite.com/signup and other routes handle other actions

You can check out how other sites do it, if you look at your dev tools network tab when registering, logging in, logging out, etc.
Which url the request goes to, what gets send, and so on

Thinking about starting a new project now that I’m almost done with my internship and have learned new things (mainly vuejs and laravel).

What should I make?

That's just the worst feeling isn't it?

No. Not having enough time to start a project you want to work on because you have to maintain something you no longer care about is worse.

nosql

Be more specific. There are a shit ton of NoSQL databases.

good thread

How do I gitgud at server admin stuff work?
htaccess, apache, redirect, deployment, backup

Felt like all the IT consultant talking in advance french

I will use in some parts of my next full stack site an outside API that i will fetch some data from, i have one question tho, how often do these api changes in how they work? I wont maintain my site (its a portfolio one) so i for example fetch data.todos and then in a month data.todos is undefined cause they changed the way the site works. Does this happen?

Attached: 2838523985.jpg (602x800, 69K)

anyone using golang for building APIs?

only deployed to heroku so far where should i host it

Well if you have it on Heroku it can stay on Heroku, no?

What is actually happening in the background when you use the quick reply box on Jow Forums, submit a comment and then the page updates? Is the page querying the database, checking to see if any new posts have been added and then adds them all to the DOM view?

Depends on the API, but yes, it sure can happen.

Help a brainlet,
I have the following code that I run in node,
const fs = require("fs");
let lines = fs.readFile("./downloads/lines.txt", (err, data) => {
if (err) throw err;
let result = data.toString().split("\r\n");
return result;
});

console.log(lines);

I just want the result to be accessible so I can do something with it in another function. If I console.log the result then I get what I need but consol logging the lines gets me nothing.

Have you tried assigning 'lines' to fs.readFileSync and then tacking on the .toString().split("\r\n") bit afterwards?

That worked, thank you!

Is webdev in companies full of hipsters, womynz, and diversity?

I have a web application with server-rendered templates that includes some dynamic content I feel would be better off rendered with something like React, but I need to still render the initial content server-side. I feel like the way to go is to introduce a mini Node/Express server that my main application server calls out to for rendering routes that include React content, but then the main non-Node server handles all other routes directly.
Does this make sense to anyone else, or is there a better way?

can you bros recommend me plain comment section template with indenting comments?
i just need the indenting functionality when replying to someone

Attached: zooey-deschanel-631x354.jpg (631x354, 37K)

>then the page updates
if only...

but yes, the page sends a request to the Jow Forums API and if there is changed data, it will update or add the necessary DOM elements.
Check the network tab in your browser to view the AJAX requests.

Sounds exactly like the use case for Next (React) and Nuxt (Vue)
nextjs.org/
nuxtjs.org/
You render the initial response server-side and afterwards the client can take over and treat it like any other React site.

Quit my meme chemistry PhD and spent the last year working part-time and teaching myself web-dev. Just enrolled in an msc in comp science in a good university, just because I think a formal education in comp sci will give me more options, even though most of the modules are retarded.

I now have two offers regarding a summer internship and wanted to know what you guys think is a better decision:

Successful web dev startup in my home town, run by my brother in law. Exactly the tech stack im interesred in. The tech test is pretty demanding- wrap their api with a front end react client, using oauth2 etc. Legit relevant industry shit. The downside is it is likely unpaid.

Option 2: A blockchain startup recently received investment. Somewhat less professional/ industry relevant. Most of the staff are part time and remote, doing PhDs in quantum theoretical computing and other millennial shit larping as silicon valley execs. Id be pretty much on my own and be responsible for developing their front end. They pay and also would happily hire me becuase the ceo is an old friend who knows im "super smart from back in school". Again, not very structured, more of a bohemian blockchain indie dev type setup. Im worried that, while ill get paid for the summer, ill mostly be floundering around and have zero guidance, which might negatively affect my prospects after finishing the masters, which is really all I'm concerned about.

Should i just make money now in option 2 and try larp as a professional dev, or go with the more conventional option 1, and gain some real industry xp.

Attached: 1555408922508.jpg (540x378, 34K)

How do I tell firefox to stop filling password inputs with '●●●●●●●●●' as I've set a different placeholder? The different place holder shows up in chromium, could my GTK theme be whats fucking stuff up?

imagine caring about firefox

Depends on the company, really. If you're working at some hip startup that needs to make an impression and please the local overlords, it's gonna be hell. But usually if you're part of the web-development department of a larger company, you might get away from that stuff.

is that even possible? maybe with javascript. but i don't think gtk theme is messing it up.

If you care about your degree, go for the first one.

code?

what did you do?
I don't think -webkit-text-security applies to password inputs even on Chrome?

>the state of web development

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-17_10-41-02.png (1225x232, 28K)

holy shit, sad, but I bet he actually rekts me in web dev shit

I am tasked to do some shit with ngx-admin, an angular-based, nebular-based dashboard template bullshitery that I just can't figure the fuck out. The documentation is so fucking shitty I want to kill myself.

Attached: ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s800-c85.jpg (800x800, 152K)

>the actual state of web development

Attached: twodigitiq.png (1313x399, 57K)

I'm not sure, hence im asking
``````

>placeholder="somethingfancy"
but that doesn't modify the password characters, only what the input element displays, when nothing has been entered yet

Right, I'm asking how to modify the password characters

cheer up my nigga, get at it

Literally me.

>I choose low level embedded systems and circuit design, because I want to work with transistors and not trans-sisters

wew

ah, it sounded like you changed it on Chromium via CSS, but the change didn't apply in other browsers.
Pretty sure there is no way to use CSS to change the password characters.
Different browsers just have different symbols and methods to hide the characters.

>Different browsers just have different symbols and methods
built in from the devs I mean, but nothing that can be adjusted by a website

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/password seems that its empty on this example but If I directly copy their HTML into my site I still get a filled in input on initial load

oooh that might be cache'd

try a different device like your mobile phone

64 keks

Attached: 1223473969150.png (247x248, 99K)

any recommendations for deobfuscating js?

In left-wing places, yeah. So most tech hubs are like that. It's bad too. Like woman with 2 months of HTML experience and no related degree or job experience gets a job as a full-stack developer.

Me too.

I can clone twitter in a weekend but make me find prime numbers and my brain dies.

kys

It depends how obfuscated it is. Obviously if it's jsfuck encoded or aaencoded or something you need to run it through a tool to reverse that first.

If it's something else beyond that, then it depends.

Generally I step through the code in Chrome dev tools. As you step through a function, you get a better idea of its control flow, and you can kind of document what's happening as you go through. Once you have an idea of what a function does, you can give it a name, at least tentatively.

Is a full-stack news site good for a junior portfolio? I literally dont have any other idea, i already built a quora like website with node/react now i want to do net-core/react but i literally can't think of a site.

Attached: 131342535.jpg (1106x1012, 70K)

With REST, what exactly does "state transfer" mean?
If a state is the condition that a resource or something is in at any given time, what does it mean to "transfer" that state? Where is it being transferred to?

Or am I just being an idiot?

what are your favourite hobbies?

I like to workout i guess..?

h1 {
margin: 0;
padding: 20px 0;
color: #00539F;
text-shadow: 3px 3px 1px black;
}

ahh forgot to ask, why didn't he use margin to move it down or up?

there's no real benefit to using margin over padding if it's just for spacing. I would have used margin because it's already in use by default.

You'll only need to decide between margin/padding for things like if you need the background colour to extend or not.

is there anything about that you could make?
maybe a general site about working out including personalized/recommended workout routines beef-building stuff etc.

honestly i can't think of another big website that's doing something like that.

You'd be jelly if you knew.

thanks

I spent four years making a gigantic full-stack app with a shitload of features with over 90k lines of hand-written code, fully responsive, using like 40 libraries worth of extra functionality, and after looking at it for like two minutes (according to my analytics) the senior dev of one of the companies I applied to thought it was "too junior", and they wanted someone "with wider experience", or whatever the fuck that means.

It's all networking, portfolio matters for jack and shit. Start a twitter account, make a bunch of mediocre Medium posts, tweet about inclusivity and how intersectionality is a core value of JavaScript, make a spree of meaningless contributions to popular repos and flex even more worthless vitriol at anyone else trying to contribute who knows less than you, and just keep adding people everywhere even if you're rejected 90% of the time. That's how you make a portfolio nowadays.

Holy Beautiful

>Have PhD
>Can't answer this question himself
Lmao

I'm fed up with being bullied because I'm a webdev, a.k.a a brainlet code monkey.

I realized that I'm barely smart, and the only thing I know is Google some questions whenever I encounter a problem.

The other engineers in my company (the real ones, like the electrical engineers) told me I'm a brainlet.

The impostor syndrom kicks in when they speak about printed circuits, electric masses, carrier current.

How can I learn about all those things ?

I don't even know how my computer works at a low level.

Attached: 1487189451886.png (645x773, 253K)

fuck off

Everyone is doing it's best in this poor world user.
You are a brainlet, it is true, but in your next reincarnation you could become a true engineer, who knows.

Triggered by the truth

Attached: 48fe030fa72c42799b206db8ab1b4cb2.png (596x597, 232K)

redis is in memory. I doubt it's meant to be a replacement for other solutions.

I use it for session storage and caching, don't see any other usecase for it.

Being a Front-End dev isn't exactly a hard-science and those Engineers are probably smarter than you, but as much as memorizing a bunch of formulas and equations requires you to have a sufficiently high IQ, people who are capable of making good UI/UX can have such a tremendous impact on the success of a product it's not even funny - even if the engineering team makes a banging and efficient piece of hardware, if the person in charge of handling the user interaction with that product is just some "dumb code monkey" with no taste, it'll jeopardize the entire fucking thing. "Webdev" is becoming more and more of a buzzword as time goes by, and if you can do Front-End, chances are you can develop native applications for most platforms already.

Yeah, I know this is bait, but I still felt like replying. Fuck you.

by using nginx instead of apache lol. seriously, nginx seems more sane and supposedly its faster too.

also, look into docker. From my experience, fucking around with servers is retarded, since you always forget what you have done. Docker forces you to write everything you do in docker files, so migrating/scaling becomes much easier

After using mainly JS for backend and now learning .NET-Core i realized JS is fuckall of a OOP language, i could probably count the time i created a class on one hand, C# hovewer? Man you are fucking chugging down and creating classes every fucking second. Now thats OOP, not sure if i like it tho.

Attached: 1543331741266.jpg (960x958, 215K)