Why is this shit so bloated? A source code editor shouldn't use over 400MB of RAM WTF

Why is this shit so bloated? A source code editor shouldn't use over 400MB of RAM WTF

Attached: vscode.png (1223x630, 183K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packagecontrol.io/packages/CodeFormatter
stackoverflow.com/questions/20231114/sublime-text-3-plugin-define-new-panel
github.com/babel/babel-sublime
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a web browser pretending to be a text editor.

It's running in a hoisted-up version of Chrome with a few more permissions and access to some windowing options. On top of all of the JIT-compiled javascript tangle of RAM, you can imagine what it'd doing with discarded UI components. Building them 100 times a second with all the properties a DOM object could possibly have, then caching the dead ones regardless of it it's even possible to access them anymore, in addition to having very little to no sense of what is active at any given moment, thus achieving the two-pronged goal of being heavy on RAM _AND_ taking forever to load if you haven't looked at it in a while since it's all in deep-cache page file locations (even though it could be simply reconstructed in a fraction of the time).

the fuck

do you work for Microsoft?

Good ones do...you are free to use crap like notepad++ if you want. I will stick with patricians choice.

No, I just know the basics of how Electron works.

I gave it a shot, but it did not meet my needs (for the reasons I mentioned).

Understandable.

Have a nice day.

notepad++ does everything I need while barely ever exceeding more than 10MB of RAM. I don't get the zoomer mentality thinking that a text editor using several hundred MB of RAM is okay. Why does everything these days need to be so excessively bloated?

because it is shit

When was the last time you maxed your ram usage...?

All you need is vim

I have 16 gigs of ram I don't care

It's incredibly selfish to write your software in such a way that it assrapes your computer and assumes it's the only program running on it.
Combine this with 3 or 4 concurrently running zoomer desktop applications that are just webapps in electron wrappers and you max out your resource usage in no time at all.
It's fucking disgraceful.

God I hate Electron and the entire web stack.

Daily. "Chrome will give you back your RAM if you ever need it" is a myth. What happens is that the OS takes it away from Chrome when you hit your max because it's storing several GB of RAM that it isn't using and that is a slow and painful process because the OS can't completely get rid of it, because it doesn't know that Chrome will never need it, so it has to meticulously file it away.

Vim uses like 1MB

oh fuck off anons, i only have 12GB and i literally (literally) never maxed it out even with chrome, vscode and slack running.

It also uses python plugins for things like git

stop trying to fit in

>I don't get the zoomer mentality thinking that a text editor using several hundred MB of RAM is okay

Because VS Code is not just a text editor. It is a light weight IDE and a nice way to integrate with command line tools that isn't boomer stuff like vim and emacs.

Modern non-boomer stuff doesn't have to be bloated. Sublime Text 3 is comfy and has a WinRAR-esque licence. IIRC a test showed it was more lightweight than emacs. For Windows, it's probably the best editor. And if you're a programmer making a decent salary, its cost is trivial

t. vim user

I can easily afford ST, but I refuse to pay $70 for a text editor, so I just use pirated keys and block it from updating in my hosts file. Every few months I update my license. If you spend $70 on a text editor, you are retarded.

who cares ? it isn't 1997. I haven't hard page faulted out from running what I need to in like a decade. No longer can people hide behind ugly software because muh resources.

But can you debug with sublime? Can you addcustom panels with plugins? Can you add advanced ui features?

>Why is this shit so bloated?
You a faggot shilling for some other deprecated garbage because you have no life. And because it a headless web browser (chromium) + server (node) + os libs + application code + botnet.

sublime text cannot indent code correctly even for $70, it is literally notepad with much minimap and nothing more, why I should use the shit?

>But can you debug with sublime?
don't know. ST has a built in build system (pic related)
>Can you addcustom panels with plugins?
yes
>Can you add advanced ui features?
yes

you can write plugins in ST because they have an API for that. All the themes are simply JSON files you can edit at any time.

Attached: cccc.png (579x609, 16K)

Electron is fucking cancer. I don't know how it became so popular. Not saying JavaFX is good but JavaFX is better in every way. It's lighter (especially since Java 9), it performs way better and is even easier to use. Anyone create GUIs with Scenebuilder.
That being said, if I had to write a cross platform editor I would probably use Qt.

I use Sublime Merge for visual git, and wanted to be all-in on Sublime, even paid for it. But VSC just does more - the debugging integration in particular is excellent for everything I've tried, from C to JS.

I hate Electron and the trend toward writing shitty performance """desktop""" applications, but VSC gets a pass

>sublime text cannot indent code correctly
you what now

It's used for VS Code because they aren't going to use Java and .NET Core isn't finished.

I wouldn’t even care about the ram usage, it’s the lag that makes it feel bad to use for me.
>inb4 hurr no lag here its only like 100ms lmao
Try using Sublime Text side by side and tell me you don’t feel a difference in responsiveness. Switching files, scrolling, even typing, it all adds up and makes VS Code feel shit in comparsion.

(((Web developers))) have been the worst thing to happen to the industry.

Microsoft is not going to create a cross platform UI framework.

This. I don't mind RAM usage at all but it's the startup and general sloppiness that bothers me. Sometimes I just want to use an editor for some small notes or editing a shell script and believe it or not, having to wait for a second triggers new. Other editors open instantly.

Just use a Qt wrapper. No point in Microsoft doing something poorly when the solution already exists.

Sublime shills GTFO or show how to indent code in your shitty notepad

packagecontrol.io/packages/CodeFormatter

While technically Qt have its own widgets library, practically most of Qt apps uses the same Chrome(QWebEngine) inside

well your first mistake is note taking in a plain text editor. you are way better off using a dedicated notebook or personal wiki software. yes it would be better it loads faster but its not a deal breaker by any means.

get a decent computer, pajeet.

I'm a 24GB ramlet and I need to upgrade to 32GB or 64GB.

inb4 macaco, not Brazil here.

Attached: Captura de ecrã 2019-04-17, às 01.44.53.png (1396x930, 422K)

>packagecontrol.io/packages/CodeFormatter
That does not work

>decent computer

>imac with an i5 at THREE GHZ.

Come on son

what do you mean?

i use it all the time to format, C, JS, C++, HTML, etc.

On the other hand we will probably soon be able to create native images of JavaFX applications with Graal.

Porque é que tapaste o número de série?
idiota

>yes
no you can't. sublime only supports basic code formatting. everything else is hardcoded and very basic (autocompletion for example).
sublime is a fancy notepad, while vs code is a simple IDE.

Why whould you use vscode when you could use the standard text EDitor?

>addcustom panels with plugins
stackoverflow.com/questions/20231114/sublime-text-3-plugin-define-new-panel

Only 32-bit versions of Windows have the EDIT editor, since it's basically a 16-bit DOS port.

As for my MacBook Pro, I am glad that it has the standard text editor ed.

you can just print text here. it's not very useful. meanwhile in vs code you can add whatever html you want.

> JS
> CodeFormatter

> Formatter for this file type (javascript (babel)) not found.

Try again, sublime shill

Just use Vim

>Formatter for this file type (javascript (babel)) not found.
I've run into that issue as well.
I guess you have to write a plugin for that yourself.

Don't mean its impossible.

>meanwhile in vs code you can add whatever html you want.
the perks of having a browser-like editor

> vs code is a simple IDE.
No, vscode is NOT ide, it is text editor which grows as you add plugins/features. Like vim/emacs/sublime do.
The only difference is - a) It have better plugin api, b) plugins are better supported and most popular ones are working out of the box

>write a plugin for that yourself.
Sorry, you mean I should pay your lord $70 AND write plugin yourself? GTFO idiot

Sweetie, you don't have to pay a dime to use ST.

Other text editors already do that because their community has written them or they came built in with the editor.

github.com/babel/babel-sublime

> babel-sublime
It is exact plugin which I have first and it does not able to format js/jsx code. This plugin as dead also: 2 years without updates, countless new features released in js/jsx in that time.
> their community has written them
Sublime community is dead
> came built in with the editor.
That is the first point - sublime text is just a notepad with fancy minimap and without any practical features

Do you have a source that proves
>caching the dead ones regardless of if it's even possible to access them anymore
I mean fuck electron bloat but come on

i have 28gb of ram, fuck do i care about 400mb?

Attached: 1527250061618.jpg (800x800, 319K)

>MFW Electron

Attached: Screenshot 2019-04-15 at 3.10.40 PM.png (1366x768, 1.68M)

>Sublime community is dead
Pretty much yeah
>That is the first point - sublime text is just a notepad with fancy minimap and without any practical features
Don't forget multiple cursors! And it was a big evolution from notepad++ with an enormous community, before everyone switched to vscode. I guess it's back to boomer editors, time to finally learn emacs.

All GUI libraries that I'm familiar with (which, granted, isn't that many) cache no-longer-used UI components with the intention of re-using them so that they don't have to re-create them from scratch. My point here is more that because browser DOM objects are so sprawling and monstrous (because of all of the legacy properties they have to support) that it is simultaneously very costly to cache them and very difficult to re-use them. And from my limited experience memory-profiling Electron snapshots, it does not seem to be particularly good at getting rid of things it isn't reusing.

that's a yikes from me

well you can install LSP for autocomplete

for js just usint eslint-formatter, or prettier if you don't mind its quirks

use the real Visoal Studio

even worse than the bloat is the fact there's massive input lag

why would you want to do that?

>visual studio
>sublime
>notepad++
gedit

Attached: tenor.gif (498x278, 1.14M)

First step: Install Gentoo
Second step: Use VIM

If you use a modern computer running on a modern OS it shouldn't be a problem.

>Everyone should have 16GB of RAM so who cares about writing efficient code xD
>Let's just use all of Chrome and node.js bundled to write a shitty twitter app xD

You zoomers is what's wrong with the fucking industry.

>multitasking don't real

it's trying to blur the line between ide and text editor

>input lag

IGNORE THAT

why do you have to criticize the most advanced and extensible programming text editor and IDE out there

JUST IGNORE THAT

who cares lmao get 400gb of ram and get over it

>advanced and extensible programming text editor
atom is like the lisp of text editors that isn't emacs

> eslint-formatter
Are you trying this yourself or just shilling?
Installed, copied some settings to .eslintrc ... bam!!! I can't format .eslintrc. Now what? I need to find formatter for eslintrc?
Ok, formatted by hand. Now changed indentation in js file, hit Cmd-Shift-H and ... it does not work! (but eslint warning about inconsistent indentation is there). Why I should tinker with this proprietary shit for $70?

If 400mb represents a lot in your system, just stick with an older editor/light ide.
If 400mb represents less than 15% of your ram, why even care?

why bitching about it here?

>time to finally learn emacs.
vscode is the emacs as it should be without retards

what makes sublime text 3 worth paying for?

Kate is a great editor but nobody is writing plug-ins for it

16GB is a normal amount of RAM, not my problem you're stuck in an outdated view of computers.

I'm on a 2015 MBP, zero issue multitasking.

Not the person who you're replying to. But still...

When I was using tensorboard. >20gb of ram usage for a few million datapoints.
Still, it cannot even smoothen a line and every action is slow.

Since I started in deep learning, I've been very annoyed at all the terribly bloated software. PyCharm. Yuk.

blame the fucking (((developers)))

javascript is the worst thing since jews

Here's the thing.
>it's okay to not care about memory or performance, it's gonna be fine!
>every single app does the same thing
>people want to use multiple programs simultaneously
>they can't
>and it's objectively your fault as an app developer so you deserve all the shit you get for it, and more

All you're saying is that modern approach is mindless and wasteful. That is all.
>wow 16 gigs of ram that means I can run like 8 electron apps and a browser! great!
>*crashes oom compiling*

third step: post your useless riced shit on Jow Forums
fourth step: start on HRT
you know what comes next

wtf i love electron now

kys asap

no, user, kys is what you're going to do when you're thirty, bald, and with a neo vagina, lmao

Stop complaining RAM is cheap.

If you want the modern tools modern software offers then surprise - you're going to need a modern computer.

These telemetry services aren't free, kid.

fallacy

well, you idiots don't understand that developer time is expensive.

its better to give them easier tools and make their job less complicated, than to force them to work harder and more, just to save some fucking RAM, CPU etc...

I can understand that some software needs to be optimised, but a fucking "text editor" doesn't belong to that category.

I have a Lenovo G550 laptop from 2009. It has an HDD, 3GB of RAM, and a Pentium T4400. I run Xubuntu on it, and I can still use VSCode. If you have issues running VSCode, you basically admit that you have a laptop older than a decade, and that you are a negligible minority among programmers.

if your development efforts exclusively involve posting riced screenshots of your 25 yo memepad with floating emacs on i3 you're going to have a vastly different perspective on this, user

ramlet seething