How hard is it to start a game studio in the UK?

I can't get employed due to my disabilities and I am just tired of the begging, I want to start my own game studio but I am not sure what you are supposed to do with how to get started, how to maintain a business and what I need to do this.

Attached: shutterstock_442081546-e1484299375297.jpg (650x387, 41K)

I have no idea but good luck user

>disability
Lol

I didn't choose the disabled life, the disabled life chose me.

To start a business in the UK is not difficult, there is plenty of help online to get started and the gov pages are quite helpful.
I'm afraid I know nothing about maintaining a business and the game dev industry, but you could start by reading books about entrepeneurship and business administration. Also try to contact small independent game studios, ask them how they started and for advice so you can get a rough idea.
Good luck mate.

I'm in the UK, London specifically. I don't like this place, honestly. I'm a NEET and quit many jobs in the past. I'm scared of being NEET with no money of the rest of my life

>UK
>London
london is a seperate country at this point

The UK is ranked 9th in the tables for the ease of business. You will be able to find most of the information on gov.uk somewhere. There are lots of game studios here so I doubt you would completely fail if you tried. You cant just jump into it if you have literally 0 experience in anything related though. You have to at least have some sort of business or game development background or even the most desperate developer wont work for you, and you would have 0 chance anyway.

how much capital do you have? Don’t you think you should just work solo on games until you’ve earned enough money to hire people, etc. ?

>disabilities
Like autism?

I have 1,000 saved up. I could but how do I generate money from that? I can only program, I would need to hire at least artist and a musician/sound guy to get a decent game that isn't lol retro.
Autism is a good example but I'd rather not talk about my disabilities, being subhuman isn't something I like to dwell on.

Alright OP, I'll bite.

£1,000 is fucking nothing. Unless you're living for free with your mum you need to find a cheaper area to live in ASAP. Nobody is going to give a NEET a line of credit either.

As others have said registering a company is piss easy in the UK, but you still need to do the paperwork.

The games industry is hard not because games are hard to make (they are). It's because to make it as an indie developer you need to get stupid lucky. There are plenty of examples of those that got super fucking lucky, but there are thousands who failed.

If you do go this route remember it will take years. The Stardew Valley guy hit it lucky, and that game took him like 3 years to make. In the highly likely situation that you fail, it'll be after you've poured years of your life into it, not before.

An injury’s prevented me from continuing my previous line of work, so I did the same and fell back on software dev to earn a few bux.
As long as you’re not a pants on head retard, easy. Download unity, do every ducking tutorial you can find, lean C (beejs guide to C) and you’re golden.
I have a background in modeling and animation, but that’s either easy enough to learn, or just make 2d shit.
Scratch together the art yourself then find someone on Patreon who’s earning fuck all and get them to do it all for you.
Add some bandcamp artists for the music, and you’ve got yourself a game.
Don’t asset flip though, that’s just scumny.
For the better part, you can now make whatever you want
If you have a real passion for gamedev then you’ll be fine, if you’re just doing it for money then steal ideas off reddit, copy anyone who says “it’d be great if someone made a game about blah blah” but try to keep them short, be able to make them in 1-3 months, and shit them onto steam.
Otherwise, for a beginner, your chooses are either make VN’s, the biggest cost being an artist (don’t cheap out), then the soundtrack. No one likes paying for games with Kevin McCloud songs in them.

Otherwise, if you’re inspired and following a passion, register as a Nintendo dev, get some 3DS dev kits and start working there. The eshop is drying up so you’ll be front and center on the store for ages. Piracy on it is dead, so 8 year olds will have little choice but to buy.
Do a good job, and eventually you’ll be able to get a switch dev kit.

>business
>studio
No and fuck off.
It’s you, the computer you’re browsing on, and the internet. That’s all you fucking get
Make a game with it or piss off, you don’t need anything else. Start selling the game, and if it makes money then you write off the costs on next years taxes.
Businesses aren’t special.

>I can only program
See if you can get someone to do some art for you, play panzermadels if you wanna see what $1-3k worth of art asset looks like.
Squeeze every penny, and get your game working with scanned scribbles, ready to ship, before you pay for art assets. 1g will buy you fuck all.
I’m working on a small 3DS game, and I’ve meddled everything myself.
All I’m paying for is voice talent, some art for the title screen and promo matierial, and music. That’s 10k so far.
Don’t think money will make your game. You will.
Do you have any fucking ideas at all about what you could make?
Fuck it, just make something about the dystopic hellhole that is the UK right now. Steins;Gate but with The Orginisation just being a bunch of busybodies and cops trying to justify their jobs without ever wanting to actually fight crime. Throw Count Dankula in it for fun.
There’s your homework.

So gamers really are retards.

I know it is nothing, what is the minimum capital you should have?
C++, C# or C? Where do you learn how to do modeling, animation and 2D? How long has it taken you to get to game quality assets?

Sounds good, I can look around, never know might find a golden goose. What are VN's? How much should I expect to pay for a good artist and musician?

Sounds like a plan, I'll look into it.
Well what goes into selling a game? Isn't there a lot I need to read up on and consider like law and the likes?
I got good ideas, I'm worried about making a career out of it, how to get funding for it, law and business side is the most distressing.

>C#
No one uses that crap.

You don’t need capital, you need to work, you need to make.
Do the unity tutorials, there, you’ve just made 20 games.
Can you sell them? No, they’re shit and they’re the same 20 games every other dev started with, but now you know how to make your own games.
If you’re as clueless as you seem, start on C# because it’s easy and just industry standard now, but do try to learn C eventually.
I took a year long 3D modeling and animation course back when I was younger, these days probably a week of YouTube tutorials, but good ones. Sadly most are garbage.
Perhaps use one of those sites that has all those online courses or whatever, I forget the name.
Game quality depends on what you want.
Something like Ghost Trick’s models? Simple, but styalised. Difficult if you’re not an artist, but if someone already gave you the character designs, then a month of modeling for two hours a day, and you’d be able to make the assets in about a week.
Nice textured 3D models? Doing smaller shit like ghost tricks models for half a year or so and you’re getting close.
No one bothers these days though, not indie devs. They either pay someone to just do modeling, or use styalised simple assets, again, see ghost trick.

Visual Novels. Play panzermadels for the rough idea, then Katawa Shoujo to see what you’re up against, and unteralterbach if you wanna know what true suffering is.
Big studio titles would be the original Fate series, steins;gate, Muv Luv, and I think Clannad.
You can just make short shit line panzermadels though.
>how much is a good artist
As much as you can afford.
I spent $500 to get a one off drawing of my waifu to put on my car, but the same artist did full body caharacters with various poses, clothing, and faces for $150 a moddel, and she’d work for cheaper than that but I thought she deserved more.
Cont

Cont
Musicians are anything from cheap shit on fiver, if so expect to pay a couple hundred for a soundtrack that might as well just be random stock music, to spending a couple grand on finding a musician you like and propositioning them.
I’ll tell you this, and heed my advice: DONT SPEND A FUCKING CENT ON PAYONG PEOPLE FOR SHIT UNTILL THE GAME IS 100% DONE AND READY SPARE USING PLACEHOLDER ASSETS.
IF YOU BREAK THIS RULE YOU WILL FAIL. GET THE GAME DONE, use fucking creyon scribbles and Kevin McCloud stock music, but get it done and “ready” (just looking like shit) then see how much you have to spend to get everything replaced, and do just that.
Don’t worry about assets untill the very end untill you’re and established developer.
Money is the least important factor here. You can make a game and it won’t cost you a cent. Some people can even make great looking games without spending anything.
AND DONT USE PREMADE ASSETS.

Cont

>what, you mean I can just go and SELL a game without needing her Majesty the Queens personal written approval?
I’ll pretend you’re just naive and not a moron here. No, you don’t need to do a fucking thing.
Put it up on itch.io, give them your PayPal address and people can just buy shit and you get money.
Same for steam, but it costs $100 to get your game on there
For 3DS, Nintendo doesn’t even review the content of your games, so long as it passes their (mind breakingly extensive) code testing. They use a global rating system then it goes on their store, it doesn’t need to be rated by the government of the counties it’s selling in even. That’s it.
Do people need permission to set up Patreon? To make money of YouTube adds?
No. You make the game. Every cent you spend keep the receipt.
Once you’ve made it, sell it. Make money. And at the end of the financial year, when the government asks you to pay taxes on all the money you’ve earned, show them the receipts for all the shit you spent making the game, this is a tax write off, and you only need to pay tax on the difference.
Most countries have a tax bracket that for the first $20k you earn a year you don’t pay any tax, so if you get $25k for sales of your game, but spent $5k making it, you pay no tax.
THATS IT.
Register yourself as a business, a sole trader probably, so you get a business number and whatever the UK equivalent is, then just do your shit, and come tax time, report.
Don’t know how? Just take all the receipts for shit you’ve spent on assets, dev kits, or even shit like your laptop, anything you used to make the game, to an accountant, along with all your payments from steam/itch.io/Nintendo saying how much they paid you, pay the guy $50-100 and they’ll do all your taxes for you for the entire year.
If you’ve got ideas, then great, start making them.

If you’re not skilled enough to make them yet, then, again, UNITY TUTORIALS, then just make a bunch of small, simple games, you don’t need to sell them, untill you’re confident enough to make the games you want.

Don’t worry for a second about the business side, I’ve been a business for years and it’s never been an issue, nothing too complex at all. There aren’t any secret rules you don’t understand that you’re missing or anything, it’s just that there aren’t all that many restrictions on being a business. Every low skilled plumber, builder, high school dropout is a business. He’ll, I dropped out of school when I was 12 and I’m running my business just fine. Don’t worry. Just make games and sell them.

Don’t think about finding, just make the best games you can with what you’ve got. Don’t count on spending all your money on one game, expecting it’ll sell and you’ll get that back, because it could very well flop. If you’re on welfare, set 1/4 of that aside each month and use it as funding for art untill you’re making money on sales.

Literally every major smartphone app and 90% of all the others have been using C# for the last decade now

it's fucking hard

probably wont be that hard until you're bombed after Achkmed is done raping a kid or get arrested for not being nice enough

Instead of worrying about making a game studio you should be stockpiling food and medicine to prepare for the brexitapocalypse.