It doesn't have a stylu--
>IT FOLDS
It has a notc--
>It FoLdS
It doesn't work very well as either a phone or tabl--
>IT. FOLDS.
It's really bulky--
>did I mention it folds?

Attached: 5cb4c67b775bc77bbe5ca5e9-750-500.jpg (750x500, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2018/11/30/tech/samsung-china-tech-theft/index.html
slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-foldable-screen-tech-stolen-china-accused-30556532/
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3067400/samsung-supplier-allegedly-caught-stealing-folding-screens
youtube.com/watch?v=-O39FAQapSA
theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/5/18251328/apple-corning-foldable-display-gorilla-glass-bendable-smartphone
gsmarena.com/samsung_sends_galaxy_fold_to_celebrities_for_exclusive_unboxing_video-news-36590.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's called early adapter technology. Part of the reason they charge so much is because they know that very few people are stupid enough to buy them. So don't bother beating that horse; he's been dead for over a century.

>it's shit but that's OK because it's new

>early adapter
What did he mean by this?

Attached: 1472982619174.png (600x550, 273K)

>it folds

Everything that folds eventually breaks along the crease. I've seen no exceptions to this.

Attached: Samsung Curved OLED Screen leaked to China.jpg (640x422, 34K)

Not even remotely what I said. It's shit and everyone knows it's shit. You're trying to pick a fight you know you can win against someone who doesn't exist.

It makes the future technology cheaper. You should thank early adopters.

Think about gpu's, electric cars, video game consoles, every fucking tv/computer panel ever etc etc

It's because of these early adopters that the companies can dive deeper into new tech/processes etc

Eh, the future's going to get cheaper regardless. Companies release things like this before they're ready mostly for the publicity and the name-recognition. Normies would never buy something like this for $2200, but they probably WILL go "wow, Samsung made a phone that can double its screen size and still fit in your pocket? The future is now."

>Samsung made a phone that can double its screen size and still fit in your pocket?
>the future's going to get cheaper regardless.

Avoiding huge R&D costs certainly makes products cheaper.

Huawei also claims to have invented folding screen phones.

cnn.com/2018/11/30/tech/samsung-china-tech-theft/index.html

slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-foldable-screen-tech-stolen-china-accused-30556532/

theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3067400/samsung-supplier-allegedly-caught-stealing-folding-screens

In terms of practical usage, the folding screen needs to be protected since its surface won't be protected by scratch resistant gorilla glass. So a fold-in design provides more protection to the screen than if the screen was completely on the outside at all times.

Samsung opted for a variation. The traditional protected glass screen on the outside, but the phone also folded open to reveal the large folding screen. So it would have two separate screens. Unfortunately, that made it quite a bit thicker than Huawei's always-outside folding screen.

>It doesn't have a headphone ja--
>It doesn't have expandable stora--
>It's $2,000--
>It doesn't have a stylu--
>It has a notc--
>It doesn't work very well as either a phone or tabl--
95% of flagships are already like this, you may as well get a huge fuckin screen out of it.
>It has a very noticeable crease that you can both see and fee--
You can only see it at an angle.
>It's really bulky--
It'll fit in your pants better because it's thick but not wide. Although you will look like a minecraft character popping a stiffy.

>Huawei also claims to have invented folding screen phones.
Exactly. That's why Samsung had to release theirs now at a loss instead of waiting for their RnD to produce a profitable product. THEY have to be the ones that people associate with folding screens, not some Chinese knock-off company.

Ask anyone on the street what they think of Huawei's folding screen phones. Some of the tech savvy ones might say "Huawei? Isn't that the company that Trump is bickering with?" But most will just say "Whowei?"

Ask someone "what do you think about those folding phones?" And granted most will give you blank stares, but a lot of people still will know "oh, I saw those Samsung phones. They're really neat. But are anyone ever going to buy those things? They're $2200."

Boom. Name recognition. Folding phone = Samsung.

Unless you think you'll fold it 200,000 times, don't worry about it.

>95% of flagships are already like this, you may as well get a huge fuckin screen out of it.
95% of flagships also aren't $2,000, nor are they as garishly ugly as the Galaxy Fold.
>You can only see it at an angle.
Oh...you haven't seen the recent hands-on videos? The crease is far more noticeable than Samsung originally let on.
youtube.com/watch?v=-O39FAQapSA
You can also feel the crease with your fingers, too. Don't you think it's better to just not have a crease at all?
>It'll fit in your pants better because it's thick but not wide.
It's about as thick as a Nintendo 3DS, a notoriously thick and heavy device to carry around in one's pocket. The narrowness doesn't help, really. All it does is ensure an uncomfortably small compact display.
Let's not even mention those bezels...

Doors.

>no 3.5, sdcard, camera slider
>notched
goddam hope the note 10 is less shit I actually wanted to buy a new device this year unlike the last 5 years

have hinges, they don't fold

That's not a fold though. That's a hinge.

I give it about 2 years of normal use before the display completely starts to give.

Do you feel personally attacked by a company releasing a product for retards with more money than brains? Is it because you feel that it's targeting you as a retard?

That's not how doors work. Nothing folds on a door. It's a hinge. Unless you're Japanese. No wait... those don't actually fold either, google's telling me.

I think the point is you'd be getting a new phone by the time that fold situation becomes a problem.

Quite frankly we complain all the time about things not lasting long but all tech dies eventually. Its a distraction from the new stuff.

he didn't say or imply that, if you really think he did you should reevaluate your life.

without early adopters products die. the real question is, why do you care so much what other people buy?

everybody agrees it's shit, overpriced, and ugly, nobody is saying it isn't. you're arguing with people that don't exist.

I like this post

clothing?

When Apple eventually does it every fucking "journalist" will say we didn't know we needed it until now.

Blah blah blah...

And people usually replace smartphones in 2 years anyway

Not accusing you in particular of anything, but that sounds like an early adopter coping mantra. "It's ok that I'm wasting money on something that is shitty and will be half as expensive in 4 years, I'm supporting new technology."

I guarantee you that the profits Samsung are going to make from this first run (if they even make a profit, just from a production point of view) are a drop in the bucket compared to the money they've already dumped into research and development and will have next to no effect on their actual development timeline towards the phase 2, closer-to-profitable product, and then the phase-3 profitable-but-still-in-hoc-to-RnD product and then the phase-4 "rolling in dosh" product.

That's just how the tech industry has been working recently. And perhaps how they have to to stay competitive.

It's not about doing it perfect the first time, it's about doing it enough until it's commercially viable. phones that are pretty much identical to modern smart phones existed much before they got popular they just sucked, this is just the beginning.

R&D just doesn't happen overnight nor just in a year. Its an ongoing process. Guarenteed the foldable phone concept has been in the pipeline for at least 5 years now. So will the next leap in tech/gimmick.

wouldn't flip phones technically count as the early beginnings of foldable phones.
>hinges
I know not the point, I mean taking something that you use in one size and changing that shape to a smaller form for storage.

Flagship phones are realistically ~1000 bucks these days, doubling the usefulness of the screen appeals to people like doctors, lawyers, and people who travel for work.

From a business standpoint for a C level or higher end person who doesn't want to carry devices this is an easy business writeoff for them. I could easily see a few people in my company go for this just so they don't have to carry a laptop bag around with them.

THEN it'll be "magic".

They have to come up with an interesting buzzword. Like "angular retna display".

I'm not denying that, I'm just saying that the benefit to releasing such an product this early when its price point and gimmick only has very niche appeal is not to fund further RnD (in fact it'll probably cost them), but it's to get people talking about the technology and particularly to get people talking about them. Both for investors and for brand recognition.

Of course you can definitely err too far on the side of "way too early" and become a tech laughing stock who is forgotten by the time the technology is ready for consumers (see Microsoft and their Tablet PC).

Or Ninendo's Virtual Boy.

The overall general population does not give a shit about a headphone jack when looking at devices like these. Bluetooth = no wires = cool to people. Yeah I know audio quality and other shit goes on but doesn't matter to the end user, look at how popular bose wireless speakers are. People rarely care about expandable storage if you have more than 128GB and cloud storage.

no man I'm not an early adopter. i always buy the most price performance ratio. i am glad for early adopters though because they help keep my shit cheaper. prob a lot do cope tho, but it aint me.

but like, these days? new tech has always been more expensive. there's no these days about it. it's an old cycle, comes out, is expensive, gets cheaper, then people buy it. every. single. time. either you're not paying attention or you're missing the point.

OK. Do you think anybody here disagrees with that?

Just stating the other half that was left out from the post. And yeah there probably are a good amount of people who would go "nuh uhh it's inferior!!!!"

yeah, no apple's not going to copy this any time soon. you can keep it.
goddamn, whenever a company does anything, the first comments about it are always "apple this, apple that" even if it's totally unrelated to apple

Have sex

>REEEEEEEEE

iphone $599
iphone 3g $299

it's electric

Attached: 5482537648_cfd0f3eb6e_o[1].jpg (738x415, 75K)

???

Attached: IBM.650.1956.102646584.lg[1].jpg (800x651, 86K)

Gimmick meme tech. Take your crease riddled screens and throw them in the trash where they belong.

It's more likely Samsung is the one selling Huawei it's folding screens, otherwise Samsung would have brought a hammer down on them everywhere outside of China AND in marketing which would tear Huawei's rising brand apart. Huawei can lowkey steal ideas and concepts and aesthetics but using actual stolen/cloned hardware would be a PR nightmare since they're trying to break into the west so they can establish themselves as one of the premium brands. What they want is the Chanel or Christian Dior effect, where being a major name in the right market and demographic - rich, white American elites, the super rich, and celebrities - comes with huge brand recognition in the rest of the world, which receives a lot of culture downstream from the US (even though the aforementioned apparel brands aren't even American, they just sell well to the rich in America).

>folding doors don't exist
haha I love this board

>place sand right before they close the phone
>screen shatters

Many folding doors also use hinges you absolute retard.

Literally no one will buy this, it's for the tech reviewers to rave about Samsung's innovation. It's likely just a prototype they thought they could get away with selling because there are no quality standards to foldable phones.

>Many
>Not all

the fold comes with wireless earbuds and 512gb of internal storage

wow! what a deal!

To all retards ITT: just because Samsung calls it a foldable phone, doesn't mean it doesn't have hinges. It actually does.

Filthy shill thread

If a technology doesn't have adopters, it just fucking dies. It never becomes a thing, nevermind a cheap thing. If you want functional and cheap shit like this, you should encourage people to buy it (if you want nerve gear to exist eventually then support modern VR). But you dipshit just want to feel smug that you didn't buy something your weren't meant to buy while also chastising people for doing it. Faggots like you who turn people away from new technology is a major reason why technology advancement takes as long as it does.

>>early adapter
>What did he mean by this?
She meant early adopter. It's called a typo, dumb anime poster

>inb4 anime website.
Anime website, not dumb website.

Actually people on the go who fly/travel a lot would probably jump on this.

Apple will be 5 year behind the curve of implementing it just like with OLED.

Show an example of a folding door that doesn't have hinges

Yes, but the thin OLED display folds inside the phone's hinge. That's not going to be good after a few thousand folds.

I'm not saying there isn't a portion of the screen that isn't folding, and I agree that it will degrade over time. It seemed to me like some autists ITT thought there are no hinges in the phone, so I wanted to correct that.

rated for 500k

>rated for 500K
That's probably 500K properly done polite fold operations. But people will not politely fold these phones purely by the frame. They will poke a finger onto the screen near the crease to get the folding action started and then finish by folding the phone with a flashy *SNAP!* sound. The finger puts sideways tension on the screen as it folds which would probably derate that 500K lifespan number. The non-uniform bending speed followed by the sudden vibration from the snap may also derate that 500K number. Furthermore, any squishing of the phone could make that fold actually change from a sharp curve into a crease.

Ur mum bends in the middle when she's tits down arse up every afternoon lmao

>It's about as thick as a Nintendo 3DS
If my new 3DS XL was less wide, it would be very convenient to keep in the pocket.
Current smartphones are too thin for no reason.
They even have to resort to bulging cameras.

>I've seen no exceptions to this.
You will.
theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/3/5/18251328/apple-corning-foldable-display-gorilla-glass-bendable-smartphone

It's a toy. No one is buying it because it's a leap in functionality, but because it's a cool new toy.
Granted, they are idiots for shelling out 2k for the first generation. Wait 2 or 3 more and they should have ironed out most of the kinks.

>You can only see it at an angle.
I wanna get my hands on one of them irl. In the videos it does look like it's only visible from a certain angle but who knows if that holds true if you watch a darker video or some stuff like that.

how long till someone fucks their galaxy fold?

The crease and general ugliness is a price I'm willing to pay for a screen that large but can still be put in my pocket.

The actual $ price is too much for me though. But a screen that big and fits in a pocket, that has great value to me and many others I'm not sure why this is strange to you?

You're literally all preferring aesthetics over functionality, like girls

yeah but if you're retarded you are going to ruin any kind of technology that's not built like a tank so what's the point?

'Murica is the only country on Earth, the post.

>>>>>>>>>She

Attached: 66825100EFF94CA2975F6F060D075E1A.jpg (1087x1189, 137K)

> * it has a larger screen but fits in your pocket
^ fixed

Attached: IMG_20190416_105447.jpg (2048x1536, 254K)

Attached: IMG_20190416_220750.jpg (1536x2048, 560K)

Poker players

/thread
do you's do that on this 4channel thingy

How long will it take for them to make the crease less noticable?

Can I sniff your fingers?

Maybe a couple of years.

Who wants a stylus?

Attached: apple-back-then-who-wants-a-stylus-now-introducing-pencil.jpg (735x1101, 111K)

Funnies thing is, they claim it's a revolutionary technology.

How is it not?

>t. iTailosive iTech iDobson

Attached: tumblr_inline_p4on2qHPiX1r7r8ub_1280.jpg (800x619, 185K)

It's so funny seeing tech tubers trying to defend this abomination because they got paid to shill it

It can be folded 200,000 times with constant force and speed from an automatic robot, it will probably be way much lower with normal day abuse. And the plastic probably won't hold up that many folds

I honestly really want one as I do like being an early adopter to see how much better it ends up getting but $2k is enough for a nice laptop so it's hard to justify, if it had a note style pen it would be much much better. Will still go check it out in person

>It's so funny seeing tech tubers trying to defend this abomination because they got paid to shill it
It's true.
gsmarena.com/samsung_sends_galaxy_fold_to_celebrities_for_exclusive_unboxing_video-news-36590.php

It's pretty cool.
Someone that is not poor might buy it as a toy for a few weeks to try fill a void their life (sometimes) is.

Foldable phones are 100% a meme, the only reason anyone is even interested in them is because people have been hyping imaginary folding screens for decades. It reminds me of flying cars.
Also aren't there completely flush (at least on one side) displays nowadays? Why not use two of those and align them tightly when unfolded?

How much do you think these "celebrities" got paid in order to let Samsung use their image?

Attached: Screenshot_20190417-175257_NewPipe~01.png (599x567, 230K)

Nobody has mentioned the fact that a larger touchscreen doesn't make a touchscreen any better.