Should we start using gopher again ?

youtube.com/watch?v=lUBhOgK5zQI

This guy has some good points.

Attached: screenshot(5).png (1161x850, 639K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cataclysmdda.org/
gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1436
khzae.net/1/misc/inlinepic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Didn't watch. Your mom gay. And gopher is the quintessential tranny language.

>Didn't watch
We can see that.

Gopher is forever!

I don't know any gopher websites tho...

Blacked.com

we should use net core.

Look I also dislike how bloated websites have gotten and tracking and everything else. But gopher is not and will never be the answer. It has less features than 1970s Teletext (except for user input of course). And the way it's designed means it will never be better.

>broken beyond repair
just use websites that aren't bloated as fuck..
Here's a great example:
cataclysmdda.org/

>Teletext
My parents still give out about them killing off Teletext.

teletext was the hottest shit 10-15 years ago
weather reports, dating, jokes, tv guide, news, stories, subtitles, and much more
t. 25 years old boomer

I use gophernet to escape these kinds of people.

drinking game: take a sip every time he says
>gopher

b a s e d

As it stands, gopher is too limited. Not to mention that HTTP is totally fine, we'd need a subset of HTML and CSS, call it SaneHtml.

10 years ago not really. 15 yes
t. 28yo boomer

Or just use HTML 1.

Remember: there was once no tag.

Pity that the game itself is bloated as fuck and deved mostly by bloated retards.

>gopher is a language
It seems you forgot to launch discord

The problem with html isn't that it have too many keywords or something, the problem is it is one dimensional and everyone is making two dimensional content with it.
Obviously css have tried to solve this, but nobody is using it in a way I would give a passing grade for a middle schooler.
Html isn't fine by any standard other than "it works". All webdevs should be shot in the face for allowing this to continue.
I would estimate it would take 5 people a year to rebuild the entire thing from the ground and it will be better almost regardless of what they are doing.
You could pick 5 students and it would probably be fine.
Html was fine when it came out. It is unacceptable today.

Take the plaintext pill.

textfiles.com

Attached: 220px-Jason_Scott_(2017_Portrait).jpg (220x330, 17K)

Changing the technology won't fix the problem with standards.
Modern standards don't make it necessary to make giant bloated websites full of recursively loaded js frameworks.
Normal people would never agree to throwing away all their webbread and webcircus just to make the internet more elegant.

Attached: 1550402842883.png (1022x663, 768K)

This guy is the worst, he can't speak and he's half a retard.
He's worse than Lunduke.
He's worse than Luke.
He's worse than Linus.
Fuck you

Why are they all starting with 'L'?
What is the opposite of 'L'? 'J'?

The problem with HTTP is that it's inherently centralized. Anyone publishing over HTTP needs to provide their own servers, load balancers, regional caches, internet connections, bandwidth, everything. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can pay for it, but that's of course expensive.
And that's the keyword, HTTP is expensive. Gopher doesn't fix this at all. Everything that's wrong with the web is so because the web is expensive, so service providers need to squeeze every cent they can out of their readers.

You want NNTP.

you meant go right? Fucking retard

LL Cool J?

No. Just make sites that don't have a fuckton of trash.
People misusing a tool doesn't mean you should get new tools.

Also, gother is fucking useless for anything but shit you could just download a .txt.

you meant rust right? Fucking retard

distrotube is really woke (in the good sense)

Gopher sucks and always did even in the early 90s, it is a tech that died for a reason.
Just make a web 1.0 website (HTML 3.2) for yourself/interest on neocities.
Literally nothing stopping you from doing this other then being lazy or a bainlet

Based Jason Scott
Seriously I love this man and everything he does for archival

No.
The solution to the web's problems aren't using the world's shittiest text exchange protocol that can literally ONLY
EITHER display a list of links
OR display some (text-only) content.
OR download something.

Good god, gopher is so fucking primitive. I'd rather ssh into servers and cat files. At least that's encrypted.

You're confusing the Gopher protocol with a Gopher client. Whether a resource is "downloaded" (saved to disk without automatically opening it) or displayed is up to the client. Some gopher clients display images within the client, some prefer to call an external program.

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com is the "centre" of modern Gopherspace.

If you don't have a gopher client, they provide a public web gateway:
gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw

Wow, great. So instead of having a standard that dicates what to do with a resource and dictates attributes and properties that can be used to further describe the resource, you just pray that the client displays them in a more or less fitting way.
100% brilliant. God, I wish everything worked like this!
Imagine using a programming language with no standard, but hundreds of incompatible implementations that all spit out entirely different binaries given the same source. God, yes, that's exactly what I want.

Gopher is a standard you fucking sperg
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1436
Strictly speaking when the user mentioned inline imaging or not, there is NO image support in Gopher, images are downloaded separate and opened locally, the client with inline images are actually just a extra non standard feature. Just like the MANY nonstandard shit we have with Chrome and Mozilla on top of HTML5. Don't pretend its any different today.

Fucking kids, 20 years ago teletext was the shit
30yo oldfag

THREEE mowrnings agoow, ai gad uup, ai goawt myself a cawfee, heeded me up a powptarrrt

>unencrypted
>unsigned
>hello NSA
>hello ISP injected ads
no thanks

I hate to break it to you, but everything digital is one dimensional

I didn't mean inline images so much as Gopher clients with an image viewer built-in, or that call an external image viewer seamlessly.
There is "image support" in Gopher in the sense that there's an I type which means "image", and it's up to the client to choose how to display it. But there's no equivalent "inline" vs "out-of-line" images as in HTML with vs

Make pirateboxes using RPi and connect them across your area.

heh

Although, inline image support could be incorporated in the same way that inline text ('i' type) was.
Here's an example:
khzae.net/1/misc/inlinepic
This gopher client is set to interpret a custom item type ':' as an "inline image".
The benefit of ':' over any other character is that at least some clients recognize ':' as "picture" from Gopher+, so they will fallback to showing it like any other image.

Hosting your own site is < $3 a month.